Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: 5 year plan 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Trav's on the record comments on his timeline:

Travis Schlenk wrote:We want to continue the success we’ve had, but realize we might have to take a step back. We just don’t want to dip down 2-3 years in a row. We realize that young players in this league take their lumps but we don’t want to send the message that we’re (fine) with losing.
NBA.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Lundahl wrote:I think it's time for a 76ers-like tank, and as long as the team is OPEN that this is what we are doing, I will continue to support our Hawks.

Lose as many games as possible between 2017-2020.

^Might not be in the cards.

Read on Twitter

Travis Schlenk wrote:We want to continue the success we’ve had, but realize we might have to take a step back. We just don’t want to dip down 2-3 years in a row. We realize that young players in this league take their lumps but we don’t want to send the message that we’re (fine) with losing.
NBA.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#23 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 pm

^NBC Sports thoughts on Trav's approach

The Hawks let their best player (Paul Millsap) leave without offering him a contract. They traded their second-best player (Dwight Howard) in a salary dump and watched other key contributors depart in free agency.

At least Atlanta could rebuild around Schroder, Prince, Bembry, John Collins and what appeared increasingly likely to be a high first-round pick.

Except the Hawks signed veterans Dewayne Dedmon (1+1) and Ersan Ilyasova (one-year) to contract that help the team this year without providing long-term value.

What is Atlanta doing? Competitive people involved in running NBA teams and casual fans don’t want to tank. But it seems the Hawks are missing an opportunity.

Their young core is fine, but hardly inspiring. An additional high first-round pick could bring everything together.

Atlanta’s own pick is, by far, the team’s most valuable mechanism for adding premier young talent. But the Hawks have downgraded the value of that pick in the name of not wanting to sink too low in the short term. That’s not a tradeoff I would have made.
NBC Sports
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#24 » by macd-gm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^NBC Sports thoughts on Trav's approach

The Hawks let their best player (Paul Millsap) leave without offering him a contract. They traded their second-best player (Dwight Howard) in a salary dump and watched other key contributors depart in free agency.

At least Atlanta could rebuild around Schroder, Prince, Bembry, John Collins and what appeared increasingly likely to be a high first-round pick.

Except the Hawks signed veterans Dewayne Dedmon (1+1) and Ersan Ilyasova (one-year) to contract that help the team this year without providing long-term value.

What is Atlanta doing? Competitive people involved in running NBA teams and casual fans don’t want to tank. But it seems the Hawks are missing an opportunity.

Their young core is fine, but hardly inspiring. An additional high first-round pick could bring everything together.

Atlanta’s own pick is, by far, the team’s most valuable mechanism for adding premier young talent. But the Hawks have downgraded the value of that pick in the name of not wanting to sink too low in the short term. That’s not a tradeoff I would have made.
NBC Sports

I know most folks probably agree with this but I think the Hawks are afraid that our fanbase isn't strong enough to stick around through 60+ losses. Which it probably isn't.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#25 » by kg01 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 pm

macd-gm wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:^NBC Sports thoughts on Trav's approach

NBC Sports

I know most folks probably agree with this but I think the Hawks are afraid that our fanbase isn't strong enough to stick around through 60+ losses. Which it probably isn't.

This is bunk, man. Can't keep chasing mediocrity for fear of losing a few folks for a little while. If we win, we'll be fine. If we have to traipse through a bad season (or even 2) but have a clear plan in place, the fanbase is savvy enough to understand that.

If we're afraid to (re)build, we'll never ascend anywhere near contender level.
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter

Post#26 » by macd-gm » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

It'll be interesting to see. I still believe Bud can make this team good but if they want to tank Ersan and some others will be riding the pine by January.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#27 » by MaceCase » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 am

If the fanbase was barely "savvy" enough to show up for a 10 year playoff run and even waited to almost 2/3rds of the season to catch on to the 60 win team then there are legitimate concerns by the brass that a 15-20 win team will be dead in the water and attendance. Atlanta doesn't have the cache of an ancient American city like Philly that never has to worry about a team leaving...or leaving for long... thus why city government has given so many concessions to funding whatever project the Falcons or Hawks cook up in exchange for a more ironclad lease agreement. That and Schlenk doesn't have the charisma of Jim Jones...er...Sam Hinkie to brainwash a fanbase into treating the lotto selection like a national title bowl game between 'Bama and THE Ohio State.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
macd-gm
Starter

Post#28 » by macd-gm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 pm

MaceCase wrote:If the fanbase was barely "savvy" enough to show up for a 10 year playoff run and even waited to almost 2/3rds of the season to catch on to the 60 win team then there are legitimate concerns by the brass that a 15-20 win team will be dead in the water and attendance. Atlanta doesn't have the cache of an ancient American city like Philly that never has to worry about a team leaving...or leaving for long... thus why city government has given so many concessions to funding whatever project the Falcons or Hawks cook up in exchange for a more ironclad lease agreement. That and Schlenk doesn't have the charisma of Jim Jones...er...Sam Hinkie to brainwash a fanbase into treating the lotto selection like a national title bowl game between 'Bama and THE Ohio State.

If we're getting blown out at home every game then those Killer Mike haircuts are going to feel REALLY expensive.
kg01
General Manager

Post#29 » by kg01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm

MaceCase wrote:If the fanbase was barely "savvy" enough to show up for a 10 year playoff run and even waited to almost 2/3rds of the season to catch on to the 60 win team then there are legitimate concerns by the brass that a 15-20 win team will be dead in the water and attendance. Atlanta doesn't have the cache of an ancient American city like Philly that never has to worry about a team leaving...or leaving for long... thus why city government has given so many concessions to funding whatever project the Falcons or Hawks cook up in exchange for a more ironclad lease agreement. That and Schlenk doesn't have the charisma of Jim Jones...er...Sam Hinkie to brainwash a fanbase into treating the lotto selection like a national title bowl game between 'Bama and THE Ohio State.

Point taken. I fully acknowledge there are some in our fanbase who lack savvy. :wink:
macd-gm
Starter

Post#30 » by macd-gm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:24 pm

kg01 wrote:

Point taken. I fully acknowledge there are some in our fanbase who lack savvy. :wink:

I take offense. My bad.
kg01
General Manager

Post#31 » by kg01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Ha! And I wasn't even referring to you. How's the old saying go? If you throw a rock in a pack o' hounds, the one that hollers is the one ya hit. :lol:

Also, the mods frown on gif-only posts so expect your bann shortly. :)
macd-gm
Starter

Post#32 » by macd-gm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Oops. I didn't know that. Guess i should re-read the rules. I deleted but still shows in your reply. Wonder when we will get pm?
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#33 » by MaceCase » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:03 pm

macd-gm wrote:Oops. I didn't know that. Guess i should re-read the rules. I deleted but still shows in your reply. Wonder when we will get pm?

Pssst, the bartenders around here are just happy there are customers, they don't care if you sit your 4 year old at the bar. If the rare chance one of those global mods comes around though, you're on your own and you don't know me.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
macd-gm
Starter

Post#34 » by macd-gm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 pm

MaceCase wrote:
macd-gm wrote:Oops. I didn't know that. Guess i should re-read the rules. I deleted but still shows in your reply. Wonder when we will get pm?

Pssst, the bartenders around here are just happy there are customers, they don't care if you sit your 4 year old at the bar. If the rare chance one of those global mods comes around though, you're on your own and you don't know me.

^^^^ He got weed!!!
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#35 » by MaceCase » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:09 pm

I change my mind, ban this man!
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
kg01
General Manager

Post#36 » by kg01 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:27 pm

MaceCase wrote:

What an incredibly alcoholic analogy to make.
MaceCase
General Manager

Post#37 » by MaceCase » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:31 pm

kg01 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:

What an incredibly alcoholic analogy to make.

What an incredibly insensitive remark to make on account of Spud :party:
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#38 » by D21 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 am

What I don't like in a 5 years plan is that before the end of the plan, you will have to extend your rookies you selected at the start of the plan, and you may have no room to add good veterans and have chance to overpay the young guys. A shorter plan avoid that. GSW plan is a lucky plan, because Curry got injured and underpaid because of that. Without the injury, he was a Max guy and they are able to add Durant some years later. If PHI succeed in the next years, it will be also due to the injury they got from players like Embiid.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#39 » by macd-gm » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 pm

So TS things we will be competitive in 3 years. Who will still be around and a major contributor then?

Yes?: Dennis, Prince, Collins, Dedmon, Dorsey

I don't know: Bembry, Baze, Moose

Doubt it: Delaney, Ersan, Plumlee, Beli
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#40 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:54 pm

macd-gm wrote:So TS things we will be competitive in 3 years. Who will still be around and a major contributor then?

Yes?: Dennis, Prince, Collins, Dedmon, Dorsey

I don't know: Bembry, Baze, Moose

Doubt it: Delaney, Ersan, Plumlee, Beli

If we suck as bad as I think we will, then we will have a top 5 pick from 2018. Add in a big Free Agency in 2018 as well, some internal growth, and we could have this machine oiled and ready by at least 2019, with contender status by 2020.

Return to Atlanta Hawks