ImageImage

Hawks Offseason Reviews - 2017 edition

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Re: Hawks Offseason Reviews - 2017 edition 

Post#61 » by graymule » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:14 pm

What Atlanta lost: D8, who wasn't the great center he once was. Millsap, who was usually good and sometimes very good.
The Hawks also lost one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the NBA.

At center this season, Hawks will be just as good as they were last season. Wait and see. Millsap's talents cannot be understated.
That will be our "Hard to replace" part from last season.

We have 2 rookies from last season who will only get better. Add our two draft picks from this summer and we start to look like a new team. Then, with our free agent signings, Hawks lose very little from last season.

A more mature "Dennis the Menance" for our PG and Blazeless and his big contract starting. I really expect a big improvement in our offense from behind the arch. This, not from just one Hawk but the entire team.

Tank team? No! This Atlanta team makes the playoffs. Maybe not by much, but they make it. To heck with all that giving up before the season starts. I'm too old to wait another 7 years for something to give way. The King is still with the Cavs but they are not automatically going to win the east next season.

Some eastern teams may be better and some may be worse. Hawks? Worse than last season because Millsap is gone but better
because of our young guys. If these Hawks can score from downtown and hit their free throws, look out East!

GO ATL HAWKS !!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#62 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 pm

graymule wrote:What Atlanta lost: D8, who wasn't the great center he once was. Millsap, who was usually good and sometimes very good.
The Hawks also lost one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the NBA.

At center this season, Hawks will be just as good as they were last season. Wait and see. Millsap's talents cannot be understated.
That will be our "Hard to replace" part from last season.

We have 2 rookies from last season who will only get better. Add our two draft picks from this summer and we start to look like a new team. Then, with our free agent signings, Hawks lose very little from last season.

A more mature "Dennis the Menance" for our PG and Blazeless and his big contract starting. I really expect a big improvement in our offense from behind the arch. This, not from just one Hawk but the entire team.

Tank team? No! This Atlanta team makes the playoffs. Maybe not by much, but they make it. To heck with all that giving up before the season starts. I'm too old to wait another 7 years for something to give way. The King is still with the Cavs but they are not automatically going to win the east next season.

Some eastern teams may be better and some may be worse. Hawks? Worse than last season because Millsap is gone but better
because of our young guys. If these Hawks can score from downtown and hit their free throws, look out East!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

Nice post, GMu. I tend to agree. We'll be worse, but not that much worse. Much to the chagrin of many who'd rather see us fending off PHI for the #1 pick. It's just not gonna happen.

We'll certainly be different though.

A hidden benefit to this offseason is we dropped a live grenade in division-foe CHA's lockerroom. They won't know what hit 'em 'til it's too late. BWAHAAHAA Have fun with that, HorCats.
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#63 » by macd-gm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 pm

I would have loved to see this team with Sap on it.
kg01
General Manager

Post#64 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm

macd-gm wrote:I would have loved to see this team with Sap on it.

Pass.

Love Sap but, if he's your best player, there's a pretty low ceiling on your team.

It's time to move on, brolio. There are other good players in the sea, macd. You'll find someone for you. I hear they have great results on FavPlayerMatch.com. You should try it. That's how @spud2nique got hooked up with his fav player ...well, maybe that was a different kind of site. :)
macd-gm
Starter

Post#65 » by macd-gm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:58 pm

kg01 wrote:

Pass.

Love Sap but, if he's your best player, there's a pretty low ceiling on your team.

It's time to move on, brolio. There are other good players in the sea, macd. You'll find someone for you. I hear they have great results on FavPlayerMatch.com. You should try it. That's how @spud2nique got hooked up with his fav player ...well, maybe that was a different kind of site. :)

I'll move on once the season starts. For now I'm just really bored.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#66 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:14 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Pass.

Me too. I will have to make do with a little Football.
I'll be getting tickets to opening night - I hope they don't have it the middle of the week like last year - that was brutal for an 8 year with school the next day.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#67 » by macd-gm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 pm

jayu70 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Pass.

I'll be getting tickets to opening night - I hope they don't have it the middle of the week like last year - that was brutal for an 8 year with school the next day.

Waiting for the schedule so i can get tix to the Denver and Minny games. 2 teams I could've care less about 3 months ago. Kg will get jealous but i'll be there for a big standing ovation for the Anchorman.
kg01
General Manager

Post#68 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

macd-gm wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

Waiting for the schedule so i can get tix to the Denver and Minny games. 2 teams I could've care less about 3 months ago. Kg will get jealous but i'll be there for a big standing ovation for the Anchorman.

No, he deserves a standing O. Just didn't deserve a max deal.

I'm glad you'll be in the building. Always swipe right, sun.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#69 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Final offseason grade: C-

New Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk refused to call his first summer with the organization as a rebuilding effort, but tabbing the roster overhaul as anything else becomes a difficult task.

Atlanta allowed Paul Millsap, an All-Star during each of his four seasons with the team, to simply walk to Denver without an attempt to re-sign him. Dwight Howard was traded for an unimpressive return and Tim Hardaway Jr. earned an unexpected, massive pay increase in New York. The initial moves from Schlenk largely focused on unproven players capable of contributing next season on short-term contracts.

Along with the likely decline in rebounding efficiency, scoring will be even more of an issue next year, with three of the top four point scorers removed from the roster. The offensive burden lies heavily on Schroder, a 23-year-old that poured in 17.9 points per game, but needed 15.4 shots to reach that career-high average.

The Hawks’ win total has decreased each of the past two years, and their streak of 10 consecutive playoff appearances is in serious jeopardy.

Atlanta did achieve financial flexibility for the future with their signings, but the franchise has experienced limited success in free agency during its history.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#70 » by macd-gm » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:10 pm

I see our scoring being better than last season. We were a crappy shooting team and that will change. Bud's system works for guys that can shoot and guys that can move. I think our bigger issue will be on D.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#71 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Offseason grade: C-

Atlanta continued its descent from its 60-win peak two years ago by losing its two best players.

After multiple half-measures toward rebuilding, Atlanta finally committed. Kind of.

I can see breaking up a team with a playoff chance to torpedo high into the lottery. They Hawks aren’t doing that – not purposefully, at least. It appears they’re trying to remain credibly competitive, which could only undermine their rebuild.

The Hawks have all their own first-rounders plus protected first-rounders from the Rockets, Timberwolves and Cavaliers.

Simply, this is not an encouraging asset pool to begin a rebuild with. Atlanta would benefit greatly from a high 2018 pick.

I’m trying to grade only this offseason, not prior decisions. General manager Travis Schlenk took over this offseason, and he has the runway for a patient rebuild.

But I just don’t see winning about 30 games as more pleasurable than reaching the playoffs, even with an early-round exit. A 30-win season doesn’t bring enough value in the draft to offset the difference.

Here’s the good news: The Hawks’ hedging probably didn’t go far enough. They might be downright terrible, anyway – positioning them to draft the elite young talent they badly need to galvanize their rebuild.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#72 » by azuresou1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Anyone who thinks we're going to make the playoffs much less be a good team is in for a very, very rude awakening come November.

Our offense was garbage last season because our shooters were crap and no one other than Dennis can remotely handle or create off the dribble. That's no different this season; in fact we're worse on both dimensions now that THJ is gone. Our best shooter is Ilyasova. The next best is probably Babbitt, who A) isn't a rotation caliber player B) plays the same position as Ersan.

This season is going be a whole bunch of teams crowding the paint and daring the Hawks to shoot open jump shots, which we'll pass up for the opportunity to drive right into traffic and soft triple teams.

I would bet my life savings and then some that we finish as a bottom 5 offense, and a bottom half defense.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#73 » by macd-gm » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:32 pm

azuresou1 wrote:Anyone who thinks we're going to make the playoffs much less be a good team is in for a very, very rude awakening come November.

Our offense was garbage last season because our shooters were crap and no one other than Dennis can remotely handle or create off the dribble. That's no different this season; in fact we're worse on both dimensions now that THJ is gone. Our best shooter is Ilyasova. The next best is probably Babbitt, who A) isn't a rotation caliber player B) plays the same position as Ersan.

This season is going be a whole bunch of teams crowding the paint and daring the Hawks to shoot open jump shots, which we'll pass up for the opportunity to drive right into traffic and soft triple teams.

I would bet my life savings and then some that we finish as a bottom 5 offense, and a bottom half defense.

You forgot Bellinelli. It all depends on what we get our of Prince, Bembry, Collins and Dorsey. So in that respect i agree we will be pretty bad

But it's hard to imagine that we will be a worse shooting team than last year. We were pathetic last year.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#74 » by ATL Boy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:48 pm

macd-gm wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:Anyone who thinks we're going to make the playoffs much less be a good team is in for a very, very rude awakening come November.

You forgot Bellinelli. It all depends on what we get our of Prince, Bembry, Collins and Dorsey. So in that respect i agree we will be pretty bad

But it's hard to imagine that we will be a worse shooting team than last year. We were pathetic last year.

Yea there's no way we're going to be a worse shooting team than last year. Babbit and Bellineli (players brought in) are both completely capable 3 point shooters who will space the floor for Schroder.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 am

Our offense was garbage last season...

While not quite as adamant as azure, I also think we are massively overrating how competitive we can be behind a sub-par starting lineup and an inexperienced bench.

I'm hopeful we can at least resemble a competitive team...

But our talent level is really bad.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Kevin Pelton wrote:The panel averaged a projected record of 27-55 and that was good for sole possession of 13th-place, ahead of the Brooklyn Nets and Chicago Bulls.

The days of the Hawks being "Spurs East" seem at an end. Atlanta has made the playoffs for 10 consecutive seasons (the longest active streak in the NBA outside of San Antonio), but the talent drain has caught up with the Hawks, leaving them with none of their quartet of 2015 All-Stars. Kevin Pelton gave the Hawks a D-plus for their offseason, and it seems the panel agrees, dropping them a remarkable 16 wins from a season ago.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#77 » by graymule » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Gloom, despair and agony on me; If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Really? Look at the upcoming season's roster and tell everyone that all the players that are there are no good.

We have 2 centers, both 28 years old. One is 6'11" and the other is 7'. We lost D8, a rebounding and put back
center who could hit almost half his free throws. Any shot over 4 feet away was questionably.

We lost Millsap, our annual all star. He was our "Do it all" player and we will miss all that he did.
Replacement? Muscala, Llvasova and rookie Collins. Don't expect anything from Collins as Bud don't believe in rookies.
Still, he might come in handy before the season is over because of our projected 27-55 record.

Hawks have a long list of small forward candidates including two second year Hawks, Prince and Bremby. No all
stars here but they should be pretty good. Some of our SG candidates are listed as SF and we show only one
PG, but we have players who can cover that if needed.

Last season, our shooting from downtown went between poor and pitiful and our free throw % wasn't that great.
Some believe Hawks will be unable to hit anything this season anywhere beyond 6 feet from the basket and it will
be simple to clog the lane and stop everything cold.

Hawks have a lot of youth and inexperience and many who have not played together. Bud ball is different fro what
many of them have faced before. Still, as they win those 27 games, someone is going to have to give us credit
for not being a lot worse, like our 13 win season. Remember that one?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,031

Post#78 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:52 am

Hawks will compete for bottom three in the East. Looking forward to the draft and hoping that TS uses his very limited resources to go all in. Wins this season will come at the cost of draft slots.

It's not a losing strategy. It's looking at things rationally and optimizing the situation. One of Ayton, Doncic, Bamba need to be a Hawk. Add a couple more maximized firsts to that (trade deadline moves) and the Hawks can start playing for wins again with a reloaded young core.

Shro, Prince, Collins, Bembry, Dorsey, #3, #12, #27, #34 would set the Hawks up with a solid group to build on.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:35 am

Basketball Insiders take:

Buddy Grizzard wrote:While the Hawks will undoubtedly take a major step back this season with many of the team’s top scorers and impact defenders departed, Atlanta may not perform as poorly as some observers predict. There are enough pieces here that the Hawks could win enough games to hurt their chances of gaining one of the top three picks in the upcoming draft. Budenholzer is ultra-competitive and a former assistant with the world champion Spurs, and you can be sure that “tanking” is not in his vocabulary. It’s an intriguing collection of talent, and these young Hawks will be playing to win.

For the longer term, the Hawks will have as many as six first round draft picks in the next three drafts. New Hawks GM Travis Schlenk has stated the goal of retooling the roster while remaining competitive. Atlanta has managed to stock itself with both rising talent and future assets to make that goal more than just a talking point. Look for Atlanta’s rebuild to proceed rapidly.
kg01
General Manager

Post#80 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:18 pm

I gotta be honest, even though I think we won't be as bad as many think, this was a pretty good write-up/assessment ...

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/18/nba-preview-flop-teams-jazz-grizzlies-pacers-hawks-playoffs

Excerpt ...
...Expect the Hawks to enter the tanking portion of their season around the All-Star break. Atlanta hasn’t proven to be an enticing landing spot for marquee free agents over the past decade, and after losing Al Horford and Paul Millsap in back-to-back years, the smart move would be to invest in the team’s young talent. Schröder should see further development in his fifth season, and the Hawks sport an intriguing pair of young forwards in John Collins and Taurean Prince. Playoff contention is unlikely for this bunch.

Return to Atlanta Hawks