No
48%

Total votes: 25

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Absurdly early 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#141 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:29 pm

macd-gm wrote:I keep hearing about this new mcRib. Need to try that.

It's the best commercial mystery meat out there..here's what you do..go out and shoot hoops for a couple hours and maybe play in a few pickup games..then get a couple of these bad boys and some fries...BAM!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#142 » by kg01 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:34 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

It's the best commercial mystery meat out there..here's what you do..go out and shoot hoops for a couple hours and maybe play in a few pickup games..then get a couple of these bad boys and some fries...BAM!

Mcrib sauce + fries = :rock:

Spud2 is it true that Bay Area McDonalds franchise bann'd you from eating there due to the inventory shortages you caused? :P
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#143 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:38 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Mcrib sauce + fries = :rock:

Spud2 is it true that Bay Area McDonalds franchise bann'd you from eating there due to the inventory shortages you caused? :P

Hahahaha they might...I'm a major creeper with them too..I call nearly every Xmas to see if they have them. Few years ago they had none in the Bay Area and was taking a trip to LA and found one along the way and i think I actually said.."it's a Xmas miracle!!!" Wifey laughed and said oh god..
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#144 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:44 pm

Regarding the big man play coming back, I think it's a lot like fashion...its cyclical and that means Ayton and his jean jacket will be our David Robinson of the early 90's...

Ps On the Marvin Bogut joke front, I must admit Marvin was the second player I wanted in that draft after CP3...until I heard that Marvin had never watched an NBA game. This was alarming to me...they said it like it was a good thing but I think patterning your game and taking bits and pieces from former and current players is what's it's all about. Not sure if any of you remember that article or not. Just sent some red flags.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#145 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:44 pm

:offtopic: - you guys are so easily distracted, especially Spud and Food.

:lol: :lol:

Sooo....back on topic:

I just want a player with more than a limited skillset. More than one dimension. Need skills.
Bembry can defend and handle but can't shoot.
Prince is supposed to be 3 and D, haven't seen the 3, D is ok, can't dribble.
I need a 'Millsap' with more offense (not the position but skillset).
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#146 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 3, 2017 4:56 pm

I think the fake bones in the mcrib is the only thing that made it such a classic. Everyone knew someone was high as hell when they came up with the idea.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#147 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:12 pm

The thing about a big man era coming back I'm not buying...yet. Why? because in the last 20 years the number of 3 pointers attempted per game has doubled while the overall 3p% hasn't improved that much. (although i think there are more competent shooters than there used to be). So why would teams shoot 3s twice as much as they did 20 years ago when they are hitting them at the same percentage? They realized that it's better to take a bunch of 3s and hit close to 40% on those vs taking a bunch of post ups and mid range and hit 45% of those. The only way this changes is if somehow teams get really good at defending the 3. It's possible i suppose.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#148 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:21 pm

macd-gm wrote:The thing about a big man era coming back I'm not buying...yet. Why? because in the last 20 years the number of 3 pointers attempted per game has doubled while the overall 3p% hasn't improved that much. (although i think there are more competent shooters than there used to be). So why would teams shoot 3s twice as much as they did 20 years ago when they are hitting them at the same percentage? They realized that it's better to take a bunch of 3s and hit close to 40% on those vs taking a bunch of post ups and mid range and hit 45% of those. The only way this changes is if somehow teams get really good at defending the 3. It's possible i suppose.

This is a good point and, ironically, is why I do see the bigs coming back.

A center is still useful defensively to defend the paint, block shots, box out, rebound and useful offensively...to set screens.

This new crop of Centers offers the versatility to defend well...and shoot competently from three point range. Three point shooting Centers offer the offensive usefulness of the average 3&d player, but can still serve as a defensive anchor defend well on one end and help spread the floor on the other.

Davis, DeMarcus, KAT, Embiid -- these guys are ushering in a new age for versatile/do-it-all big men. Unluckily for them...they each have come up through the four most consistently inept organizations in the NBA.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#149 » by macd-gm » Tue Oct 3, 2017 5:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:The thing about a big man era coming back I'm not buying...yet. Why? because in the last 20 years the number of 3 pointers attempted per game has doubled while the overall 3p% hasn't improved that much. (although i think there are more competent shooters than there used to be). So why would teams shoot 3s twice as much as they did 20 years ago when they are hitting them at the same percentage? They realized that it's better to take a bunch of 3s and hit close to 40% on those vs taking a bunch of post ups and mid range and hit 45% of those. The only way this changes is if somehow teams get really good at defending the 3. It's possible i suppose.

This is a good point and, ironically, is why I do see the bigs coming back.

A center is still useful defensively to defend the paint, block shots, box out, rebound and useful offensively...to set screens.

This new crop of Centers offers the versatility to defend well...and shoot competently from three point range. Three point shooting Centers offer the offensive usefulness of the average 3&d player, but can still serve as a defensive anchor.

Davis, DeMarcus, KAT, Embiid -- these guys are ushering in a new age for versatile/do-it-all big men. Unluckily for them...they each have come up through the four most consistently inept organizations in the NBA.

Well i can agree there. Stretch 5s but i guess when i think of big men coming back to dominate in the nba i think of guys like duncan and shaq posting up or playing inside. Still though I don't think you can win a championship with just a dominant big man even if they are a 3 point shooter. I think you will always have to have a superstar wing also whereas the cavs and warriors have shown you can win championships with just role playing bigs and great wings.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#150 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 4, 2017 1:56 pm

Incredibly in-depth analysis of Doncic at Eurobasket

Prospect Report: Luka Doncic (EuroBasket Edition)

Luka Doncic continues to build on what has to be the most remarkable résumé for a teenage basketball phenom.

Slovenia won the 2017 Eurobasket last month and the 18-year-old was not only a rotation player, leading the squad in minutes, but was in fact a key reason why such an accomplishment was possible to begin with, ranking third on the team in plus-minus – according to FIBA.com.

Doncic was for the most part a secondary ball handler.

He had plenty of opportunities to push the ball in transition, given he is such a great defensive rebounder, and run pick-and-roll against a set defense. In those instances, the six-foot-eight maestro showcased once more his amazing court vision.

Earlier in the tournament, he was given space to pull-up from three-point range off the pick-and-roll often and proved he is capable of making enough shots...Later in the tournament, defenders played up on him. Doncic has an advanced handle but doesn’t have enough quickness to just lose his man on hesitate-and-go’s, so he didn’t get all the way to the rim a whole lot in this event...

But Doncic is pretty big, able to maintain his balance and proved himself a very resourceful finisher from the in-between area.

His catch-and-shoot three-pointer looked pretty good more often than not...But the ball continued to go in at a below average clip.

Defensively, the picture is becoming clearer.

While Doncic can run point on offense full-time, he is not suited to defend the point on the other end. But as a weak-side defender, Doncic might develop into a difference maker, despite the fact he doesn’t create a lot of [turnovers]...but by simply being intelligent and disciplined executing the scheme consistently, Doncic ranked second on the team in defensive rating, behind Anthony Randolph.
Real GM

I wish we could have seen Dennis v Doncic. That seems like a lot of fun.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#151 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:07 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Regarding Doncic v Porter -- They're both really good prospects.

Porter's an elite jump shooter. And for years Budenholzer's system has generated a ton of open looks that we couldn't knock down.

...Porter would easily become the best shooter this team has had in years.

Good call on Porter but isn't Luka just as good from outside?

From a comprehensive scouting report after Eurobasket:

Doncic's catch-and-shoot three-pointer looked pretty good more often than not, as he does great shot prep, rises up in balance and launches it comfortably.

But the ball continued to go in at a below average clip. Doncic can certainly nail open shots but struggles when he is forced to speed up his release, both with a hand in his face and when he is asked to sprint to the ball, come off screens or relocate.

Overall, he hit just 31.1% of his 61 three-point attempts, also due to some poor shot selection on pull-ups.
Real GM
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#152 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:41 pm

More wonderful content from Bleacher Report

The 5 Players Worth Tanking for in 2018 NBA Draft

Marvin Bagley III (Duke, PF/C, Freshman)

Bagley could wind up being the No. 1 prospect on draft boards with his captivating mix of athleticism and ball skill for a 6'11" big man.

His speed and bounce will translate to easy baskets, but he'll separate himself by flashing versatility fueled by ball-handling ability, post moves, mid-range touch, high-motor rebounding and defense.

The Hawks may have found something in John Collins, but he shouldn't stop them from drafting Bagley. Capable of playing the 5 next to Collins, Bagley would immediately become the player to build around in Atlanta.

Luka Doncic (Slovenia, PG/SG, 1999)

He's proven himself in environments the top NCAA prospects won't have the chance to play in before the draft.

Today's NBA also happens to value his particular strengths and versatility. A 6'8" point-wing, Doncic handles the ball and works as a setup man with tremendous vision and passing instincts. And despite lacking the explosion that traditionally fuels upside, he compensates with sharp ball skills, a convincing jumper and infectious intensity and toughness.

Doncic's competitiveness, passing and shooting are needed in Atlanta next to score-first Dennis Schroder.

Michael Porter Jr. (Missouri, SF/PF, Freshman)

Porter will build a case around his potential to become an NBA team's top scorer. Porter, 6'10", plays like a wing with ball-handling and shooting skills. A best-case projection is a constant mismatch—the same type the Los Angeles Lakers hope they have in Brandon Ingram.

A combo forward capable of playing small-ball 4, Porter creates his own shot by driving or pulling up over the defense both inside the arc and behind it.

With an obvious knack for scoring, Porter also has the tools, athleticism and maturity that suggests his game and success will carry over to the NBA.

The fact that Porter is a scoring forward should make him super attractive to the Hawks. Their starting frontcourt: Taurean Prince, Ersan Ilyasova and Dewayne Dedmon.

DeAndre Ayton (Arizona, C, Freshman)

Ayton stands out with a tremendous physical profile: 7'0" size, 243-pound frame, 7'5 ½" wingspan. He's strong yet nimble and capable of skying above the rim off one or two feet.

Even without refined skill, he's a presence in the paint with his ability to contest shots, rebound and finish. It's the flashes of low-post scoring and shooting that could push Ayton into the No. 1 overall discussion.

Small-ball opponents would have a tough time dealing with a pairing of John Collins and Ayton. The Hawks could potentially go from one of the weaker frontcourts in the league to a strong one in 2019.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#153 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:43 pm

When does the college season start?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#154 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2017 12:58 pm

jayu70 wrote:...I think we need a wing (subject to change) that can handle and give us some offense off the dribble - who fits that mold?

Gary Trent Jr., SG, Duke (freshman)

While scouts and talent evaluators have been touting Duval as the NBA’s next big thing for years, Trent appears to have fallen a bit off the radar in the eyes of NBA personnel. Yes, he was a McDonald’s All-American and a legit top 10 prospect in this high school class. But he isn’t listed as one of the top draft prospects in most way-too-early 2018 mocks.

Ultimately that should change between now and next June, as Trent is one of the most complete (and underappreciated) guards to come through the high school ranks in years. The son of former NBA big man Gary Trent is a completely different player than his dad, but watch him for just a few possessions and it’s clear that he’s got a feel for the game that can only come from growing up inside pro locker rooms. At 6-foot-5, he’s a gifted scorer with a great feel for the game and should play himself into the draft conversation during his one year at Duke.
Fox Sports

A decent draft target with the Minny or Hou pick.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#155 » by macd-gm » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:36 pm

Duke players make me nervous. They've produced a lot of good ones but who are the really great ones? Grant Hill......
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#156 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:58 pm

macd-gm wrote:Duke players make me nervous. They've produced a lot of good ones but who are the really great ones? Grant Hill......

The Good
Kyrie Irving
Luol Deng
Elton Brand
JJ Redick
Christian Laettner
Shane Battier

The Bad
Jahlil Okafor
Austin Rivers
Danny Ferry
Carlos Boozer

The Ugly
Miles Plumlee
Sheldon Williams

Grant Hill, Kyrie Irving, Elton Brand, Luol Deng, Carlos Boozer, Shane Battier, Christian Laettner is a solid collection of draftees.
But, yeah, their record is otherwise pretty spotty.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#157 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:...I think we need a wing (subject to change) that can handle and give us some offense off the dribble - who fits that mold?

While scouts and talent evaluators have been touting Duval as the NBA’s next big thing for years, Trent appears to have fallen a bit off the radar in the eyes of NBA personnel. Yes, he was a McDonald’s All-American and a legit top 10 prospect in this high school class. But he isn’t listed as one of the top draft prospects in most way-too-early 2018 mocks.

Ultimately that should change between now and next June, as Trent is one of the most complete (and underappreciated) guards to come through the high school ranks in years. The son of former NBA big man Gary Trent is a completely different player than his dad, but watch him for just a few possessions and it’s clear that he’s got a feel for the game that can only come from growing up inside pro locker rooms. At 6-foot-5, he’s a gifted scorer with a great feel for the game and should play himself into the draft conversation during his one year at Duke.
Fox Sports

What's his defense like? Is a willing passer?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#158 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 5, 2017 6:27 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

At 6-foot-5, he’s a gifted scorer with a great feel for the game and should play himself into the draft conversation during his one year at Duke.
Fox Sports

What's his defense like? Is a willing passer?

:blank:

He's only 18, so it's largely TBD.

Scouting report from his HS days Nike Hoops Summit is as follows:

• Has good size for the wing at 6'6 in shoes, with a strong 215 pound frame. 6'8 ½ wingspan is adequate, even to guard some small forwards. Physical and aggressive player. Will crash the glass.
  • Shot-maker who can get hot and hit a barrage of 3s both spotting up and off the dribble, even from NBA range.
  • Can move his feet and stay in front when he's locked in and competing. Aggressive playing the passing lanes and has good instincts for coming up with steals.
  • Reluctant passer. Never met a shot he didn't like.
Draft Express
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#159 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:39 pm

2018 NBA Draft: The Top 10 International Prospects

3. Dzanan Musa (Bosnia and Herzegovina, SG/SF, 1999)

Draft range:
Middle of the first to second round

Dzanan Musa has built a reputation as a bucket-getter during FIBA play, having averaged 25 points in 31 games since 2014. He just averaged 22.8 points during the EuroBasket pre-qualifiers and now figures to play big minutes for Cedevita in the Adriatic League.

Musa isn't a great athlete by NBA standards, but it's tough to ignore all the production from a 6'8" wing. He creates his own shot using pull-ups and floaters, and with seven threes through five games this season, he could be making strides as a long-range shooter.

His defensive outlook isn't too exciting, but for an 18-year-old, Musa's success putting the ball in the hole could be too enticing.

2. Rodions Kurucs (Latvia, SF, 1998)

Draft range:
Middle of the first to early second round

Rodions Kurucs emerged as a potential first-round draft-and-stash option last year, but he chose to delay his declaration. He'll have a better chance to build a case for himself this season, assuming he sees time with Barcelona's senior team in the Spanish ACB and Euroleague.

Kurucs' physical tools and athleticism stand out for a wing. Though mostly a line-drive player, he's a strong slasher with a developing jumper out to the arc and shows flashes of perimeter defense and toughness inside.

Enough positive flashes against high-quality competition should help restore Kurucs' stock. Using a pick in the 20s to see if his ball skills and shooting continue improving will sound like a gamble worth taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=QevN3B9N14Q

and of course...

1. Luka Doncic (Slovenia, PG/SG, 1999)

Draft range:
Top 5

The hype doesn't get much louder for an international prospect. But it's also deserved, given his unprecedented production and obvious impact as a teenager among pros.

From Euroleague to EuroBasket, where he recently helped Slovenia run the table, Doncic has been a constant, making winning plays and demonstrating the toughness and intensity coaches love.

He's the Lonzo Ball of this year's draft, with his intangibles and shooting more prominent than his athleticism and scoring. He'll use the 2017-18 season to strengthen his case to tankers like the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks and New York Knicks—teams who could desperately use a winner like Doncic to build with in the backcourt.
Bleacher Report

Kurucs is a kid I'm watching closely as a target with the Rockets or T-Wolves pick.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#160 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

I hoping the T-Wolves make the playoffs. It's a tough task out West. This is how I tier rank the teams (in no order)
Tier 1 (4 teams)
Spurs
Thunder
Rockets
Warriors

Tier 2 (2 teams)
Jazz (love their defense, Gobert is showing in the preseason he can score)
Nuggets (Millsap presence helps this young team)

Tier 3 (5 teams)
Wolves (too many new pieces, not enough 3 point shooting, defense still a question)
Pelicans (the Boogie factor, not enough floor spacers)
Grizzlies (Ithey they can incorporate their young players with Gasol and Conley, they might be OK)
Blazers (not enough defense)
Clippers (considering they lost CP3, they have a decent team)

Return to Atlanta Hawks