No
48%

Total votes: 25

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Absurdly early 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by Spud2nique » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm

kg01 wrote:We need to have a (way too)early 2018 free agency thread. I think that's where we'll make our hay. I'll let one of you brainiacs start the thread though. That way, if it bombs, I'll just point 'n laugh from the sidelines.

On topic, w.r.t. '18 (and beyond) draftees, one thing I never want to hear is "so-and-so would be a star in our system". I'm done with them dudes. I want us to get guys who're stars regardless of system. Just my $0.03.

So you want Bud fired?-TMZ type drama ya heard
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#22 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:We need to have a (way too)early 2018 free agency thread. I think that's where we'll make our hay. I'll let one of you brainiacs start the thread though. That way, if it bombs, I'll just point 'n laugh from the sidelines.

On topic, w.r.t. '18 (and beyond) draftees, one thing I never want to hear is "so-and-so would be a star in our system". I'm done with them dudes. I want us to get guys who're stars regardless of system. Just my $0.03.

So you want Bud fired?-TMZ type drama ya heard

Heh. How did you get that from my post? Keep up, Spud2. @macd is the one who wants Budz fired.

Also, are you caught up on GoT?
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#23 » by Spud2nique » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 pm

lol I know I was kiddin around. Ya I'm all caught up.. I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm not really that impressed so far lol....I think I've kinda been spoiled by past seasons...I mean I guess things are happening but something is missing. Euron isn't the best villain yet imo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:26 pm

kg01 wrote:Also, are you caught up on GoT?

Spud2nique wrote:lol I know I was kiddin around. Ya I'm all caught up.. I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm not really that impressed so far lol....I think I've kinda been spoiled by past seasons...I mean I guess things are happening but something is missing. Euron isn't the best villain yet imo.

Euron is like a cartoon version of a cliché villain. Not fully formed or multi dimensional.

This entire season 7 has been...uneven. Cool to watch, but really dumb when you think about it for more than a minute.

The complete opposite of the early seasons.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#25 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:lol I know I was kiddin around. Ya I'm all caught up.. I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm not really that impressed so far lol....I think I've kinda been spoiled by past seasons...I mean I guess things are happening but something is missing. Euron isn't the best villain yet imo.

Euron is like a cartoon version of a cliché villain. Not fully formed or multi dimensional.

This entire season 7 has been...uneven. Cool to watch, but really dumb when you think about it for more than a minute.

When I watch shows like these I try to just be entertained and not try to theorize why, how, where, when too much.
:lol:
kg01
General Manager

Post#26 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:10 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

When I watch shows like these I try to just be entertained and not try to theorize why, how, where, when too much.

Suspend disbelief. But maybe we're just not high-brow enough for @spud2 and @jamaaaaaaaliver :wink:

It has been less subtle, I guess but I'm enjoying it.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#27 » by Spud2nique » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:24 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Suspend disbelief. But maybe we're just not high-brow enough for @spud2 and @jamaaaaaaaliver :wink:

Walking by nose held high..(learned that lil trick from Mace and his fancy book learnins)..
kg01
General Manager

Post#28 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:When I watch shows like these I try to just be entertained and not try to theorize why, how, where, when too much.

Walking by nose held high..(learned that lil trick from Mace and his fancy book learnins)..

If'n you start sipping your tea with a pinky poked out, then we've got some problems.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#29 » by MaceCase » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:41 pm

HBO may be HBO but they still aren't going to and can't cut a check worthy of the Lord of the Rings quadrupology (new made up word, learn it) for any TV show. So with their budget, GoT show runners had to condense the remaining seasons into less episodes to account for all the money being spent on the war scenes and thus pacing will suffer.

Ever wonder why Jon's trusty direwolf wasn't there with him storming Winterfell or ranging up past the Wall on a mission to capture a living skeleton, a job dinstinctly suited for a dog? Because animating that beast for even just 30 seconds costs almost the amount of Spud's yearly donut budget.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
kg01
General Manager

Post#30 » by kg01 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

MaceCase wrote:HBO may be HBO but they still aren't going to and can't cut a check worthy of the Lord of the Rings quadrupology (new made up word, learn it) for any TV show. So with their budget, GoT show runners had to condense the remaining seasons into less episodes to account for all the money being spent on the war scenes and thus pacing will suffer.

Ever wonder why Jon's trusty direwolf wasn't there with him storming Winterfell or ranging up past the Wall on a mission to capture a living skeleton, a job dinstinctly suited for a dog? Because animating that beast for even just 30 seconds costs almost the amount of Spud's yearly donut budget.

But do you force Consuela to watch the episodes then live-act them out for you?

In an attempt to re-rail, what does everyone see in the Bagley guy? Looks pretty good but what makes him a world-changer? Looks like a skinny Embiid (full disclosure, I'm not all gaga over Embiid either so ...)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:11 pm

kg01 wrote:In an attempt to re-rail, what does everyone see in the Bagley guy? Looks pretty good but what makes him a world-changer? Looks like a skinny Embiid (full disclosure, I'm not all gaga over Embiid either so ...)

I've had the same thought.

It's what's so frustrating about scouting teenagers playing other teenagers.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#32 » by Spud2nique » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 pm

kg01 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:HBO may be HBO but they still aren't going to and can't cut a check worthy of the Lord of the Rings quadrupology (new made up word, learn it) for any TV show. So with their budget, GoT show runners had to condense the remaining seasons into less episodes to account for all the money being spent on the war scenes and thus pacing will suffer.

But do you force Consuela to watch the episodes then live-act them out for you?

In an attempt to re-rail, what does everyone see in the Bagley guy? Looks pretty good but what makes him a world-changer? Looks like a skinny Embiid (full disclosure, I'm not all gaga over Embiid either so ...)

Well for starters, Bagley has incredible speed for his size...as well as a nice stroke from deep. The only thing I'm really not sure about too much is his demeanor on the court. I don't like nice guys like Marvin Williams..gimme a mean sob like Draymond...as much as I dislike him lol
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#33 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:53 pm

This seems like a reasonable range for us to fall in the draft, and this kid would be a worthy selection. (Though not quite a franchise changing player IMO)

Read on Twitter

CBS SportsLine projection model pegged the Hawks at No. 6 overall. From that point, Atlanta ended up with Michigan State forward Miles Bridges.

Bridges was the highest-rated college prospect to return to school, and I'm betting he improves his stock because of it. The combo-forward should lead Michigan State to a Big Ten title and could, along the way, earn National Player of the Year honors. He is, I think, the preseason favorite for that award.

Spoiler:
(Some scouting reports on the rising sophomore:

Miles Bridges finished strong last year with 22 points against Josh Jackson and Kansas in the NCAA tournament. He seemed like a first-round lock had he chosen to declare. An elite athlete with enticing quickness and power for the NBA's small-ball 4, Bridges' freshman production and two-way potential earn him a spot in the preseason top 10.

He'll draw lottery looks in 2018 by validating last year's 38.9 percent three-point mark and sharpening his one-on-one shot-creating. Getting to the line more than 3.3 times per game and improving his mid-range scoring arsenal are key.
Here

Miles Bridges passed on a chance at the 2017 lottery to be one of college basketball's biggest stars in 2018.

He averaged 16.9 points and 8.3 rebounds as a freshman, having built his case with explosive athleticism and three-point shooting. His body and game are made for the NBA's small-ball 4 position.

This year, Bridges will look to take the next step as a one-on-one shot creator.
Here

Miles Bridges was working his way up 2017 boards before a surprise withdrawal from this year's draft.

His combination of size and athleticism makes him an intriguing combo forward, one of the NBA's hottest positions right now. Think of Jae Crowder or fellow Spartan Draymond Green. Bridges has enough guard skills to run at the wing, and he's also stout enough to hold his own inside against bigs.

If he asserts himself as one of the best players in the NCAA as a sophomore, which he's more than capable of, he could climb into the top five.
Here
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#34 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:This seems like a reasonable range for us to fall in the draft, and this kid would be a worthy selection. (Though not quite a franchise changing player IMO)

Read on Twitter

CBS SportsLine projection model pegged the Hawks at No. 6 overall. From that point, Atlanta ended up with Michigan State forward Miles Bridges.

Bridges was the highest-rated college prospect to return to school, and I'm betting he improves his stock because of it. The combo-forward should lead Michigan State to a Big Ten title and could, along the way, earn National Player of the Year honors. He is, I think, the preseason favorite for that award.

Spoiler:

Miles Bridges finished strong last year with 22 points against Josh Jackson and Kansas in the NCAA tournament. He seemed like a first-round lock had he chosen to declare. An elite athlete with enticing quickness and power for the NBA's small-ball 4, Bridges' freshman production and two-way potential earn him a spot in the preseason top 10.

He'll draw lottery looks in 2018 by validating last year's 38.9 percent three-point mark and sharpening his one-on-one shot-creating. Getting to the line more than 3.3 times per game and improving his mid-range scoring arsenal are key.
Here

Miles Bridges passed on a chance at the 2017 lottery to be one of college basketball's biggest stars in 2018.

He averaged 16.9 points and 8.3 rebounds as a freshman, having built his case with explosive athleticism and three-point shooting. His body and game are made for the NBA's small-ball 4 position.

This year, Bridges will look to take the next step as a one-on-one shot creator.
Here

Miles Bridges was working his way up 2017 boards before a surprise withdrawal from this year's draft.

His combination of size and athleticism makes him an intriguing combo forward, one of the NBA's hottest positions right now. Think of Jae Crowder or fellow Spartan Draymond Green. Bridges has enough guard skills to run at the wing, and he's also stout enough to hold his own inside against bigs.

If he asserts himself as one of the best players in the NCAA as a sophomore, which he's more than capable of, he could climb into the top five.
Here

Pick6-8 range...like him a lot more than Robert Williams whose projected around the same range.
kg01
General Manager

Post#35 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:This seems like a reasonable range for us to fall in the draft, and this kid would be a worthy selection. (Though not quite a franchise changing player IMO)

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Here

Here

Here

Pick6-8 range...like him a lot more than Robert Williams whose projected around the same range.

Considering John (Snow) Collins is our 4 of the future, isn't there a tremendous amount of overlap with he and Bridges/Williams? None of them are 3's or 5's. If we end up with a top-8 pick, we're definitely packaging picks for a trade. Or at least, I hope so.

If we keep the pick, I'd prefer the ba-Doncic-a-donk who appears to be dropping a bit (can you really be dropping in August?). Sexton is intriguing as a Jamal Crawford/Chuk McCollum (see what i did there? 8-) )type of ultra-offensive piece.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:27 pm

kg01 wrote:Considering John (Snow) Collins is our 4 of the future, isn't there a tremendous amount of overlap with he and Bridges/Williams? None of them are 3's or 5's. If we end up with a top-8 pick, we're definitely packaging picks for a trade. Or at least, I hope so.

If we keep the pick, I'd prefer the ba-Doncic-a-donk who appears to be dropping a bit (can you really be dropping in August?). Sexton is intriguing as a Jamal Crawford/Chuk McCollum (see what i did there? 8-) )type of ultra-offensive piece.

Yowza!?!? :o

I like the JC Kid, a lot.

But do we already consider him so untouchable that we wouldn't even consider a higher rated prospect at the same position?
kg01
General Manager

Post#37 » by kg01 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Considering John (Snow) Collins is our 4 of the future, isn't there a tremendous amount of overlap with he and Bridges/Williams? None of them are 3's or 5's. If we end up with a top-8 pick, we're definitely packaging picks for a trade. Or at least, I hope so.

But do we already consider him so untouchable that we wouldn't even consider a higher rated prospect at the same position?

Whoa, whoa, whoa .. that's not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm more so saying that we drafted the guy, aren't we gonna at least give him a year to show what he can do. If we draft another 4(ish), that could stunt his growth.

That said, I'm cool with asset/talent accumulation so ... what was I talking about?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#38 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Collins is gonna be a star. There I said it. You guys happy now? You can only push a man so far.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#39 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 pm

kg01 wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa .. that's not necessarily what I'm saying. I'm more so saying that we drafted the guy, aren't we gonna at least give him a year to show what he can do. If we draft another 4(ish), that could stunt his growth.

That said, I'm cool with asset/talent accumulation so ... what was I talking about?

LOL

I'm with you now, brutha.

I do think Collins could be a long term answer at 4 (or 5) spot. But yeah, asset accumulation at this point seems the most prudent route.

NOTE: I do also like Doncic. In our system, he could be a poor man's version of a "splash brother."

But he really needs to be surrounded by other high IQ players to thrive.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:46 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Here

Here

Here

Considering John (Snow) Collins is our 4 of the future, isn't there a tremendous amount of overlap with he and Bridges/Williams? None of them are 3's or 5's. If we end up with a top-8 pick, we're definitely packaging picks for a trade. Or at least, I hope so.

Positionless ball...I want a Yao type getting us into our offense. Then possibly feeding it into the paint to a 5'3" Muggsy type....Yes, bball like the world has gone mad!!!!

Honestly, I want to stop and ask some random people in the street, what's wrong with you? Needless to say, I risk a punch but sometimes you gotta weigh your options.

Return to Atlanta Hawks