48%

Total votes: 25

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Absurdly early 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#4601 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Ya that would have been nice. I just wanted 2 guys in this draft. Doncic/Trae ...Trae/And a big.

I just feel like we either had the assets to get 2 top 10 picks in the 2018 draft or the 2019 draft..must be 2019.

I love Wendell and would be happy to have him here for a decade.

But selecting him in lieu of Doncic or Trae would have been the most boring, vanilla, milquetoast selection. The fanbase would NOT have been happy.

With that said. I think we could have traded back twice from #3 and still ended up with Wendell plus extras in the 2018 draft and 2019 draft.

NOTE: Rooting for a Trae-led team is exhausting. He has clear talent and is an NBA caliber player, undoubtedly. But, he's so erratic. I kind of wish Lloyd would rein him in a bit on both PT and shot selection. He shouldn't be avg 30 mpg so early in the season.

No way in lieu..I meant in addition. A team like us HAD to land a playmaker in Trae or Doncic no questions asked. We could not have walked away with Wendell and that’s it. Although it would have almost guaranteed us a last place finish and a top 3 pick, which we might get anyways.

This fan base needed Trae or Doncic but adding a Wendell or possibly JJJ would have worked. I am also in favor of not blowing our entire asset basket in one draft.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#4602 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:44 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:Huerter, who is looking like he should have been the 8th selection in the draft.

Let's...not get carried away.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4603 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 3:48 pm

Spud2nique wrote:No way in lieu..I meant in addition. A team like us HAD to land a playmaker in Trae or Doncic no questions asked. We could not have walked away with Wendell and that’s it. Although it would have almost guaranteed us a last place finish and a top 3 pick, which we might get anyways.

This fan base needed Trae or Doncic but adding a Wendell or possibly JJJ would have worked. I am also in favor of not blowing our entire asset basket in one draft.

Ahhhhh, gotcha.

I do see a path where we could have traded back to #4 from Memphis.

But it would have cost us #19, #30, that Dallas pick, T Prince and we would have had to eat that Chandler Parsons contract.

I love Wendell...but that would have been hard to stomach.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#4604 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:05 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Huerter, who is looking like he should have been the 8th selection in the draft.

Let's...not get carried away.

Huerter is already better than Sexton. He is doing way better than Knox and Mikal Bridges. The only other rookie that is coming close to doing what Huerter is doing is Miles Bridges.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4605 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:10 pm

^It's been 3 weeks.

Huerter is avg 6 points.

7 ppg for the month.

We're a long ways from Huerter from being worthy of a top-10 selection in any draft.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#4606 » by kg01 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^It's been 3 weeks.

Huerter is avg 6 points.

7 ppg for the month.

We're a long ways from Huerter from being worthy of a top-10 selection in any draft.

You're not wrong but, to me, my takeaway is these guys who were anointed early or after summer league (Sexton, Knox, etc.) haven't shown well just yet. Still early but Huerter's been a bit of a pleasant surprise.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4607 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:19 pm

kg01 wrote:You're not wrong but, to me, my takeaway is these guys who were anointed early or after summer league (Sexton, Knox, etc.) haven't shown well just yet. Still early but Huerter's been a bit of a pleasant surprise.

No doubt. I'm actually ready to pencil Huerter in as starting SG next seaosn.

He's probably my favorite Hawk player since Horford left. (He's so unassuming and low maintenance!!!)

But marginalizing these guys (selected 8-18) because they are struggling in the first month of the the first year of their NBA career is premature.

NOTE:Lonnie Walker IV will be a beast when he gets healthy. DiVincenzo in MIL has been refreshingly solid.

Spoiler:
Not counting that time he got schooled by McCollum.

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4608 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:You're not wrong but, to me, my takeaway is these guys who were anointed early or after summer league (Sexton, Knox, etc.) haven't shown well just yet. Still early but Huerter's been a bit of a pleasant surprise.

No doubt. I'm actually ready to pencil Huerter in as starting SG next seaosn.

He's probably my favorite Hawk player since Horford left. (He's so unassuming and low maintenance!!!)

But marginalizing these guys (selected 8-18) because they are struggling in the first month of the the first year of their NBA career is premature.

NOTE:Lonnie Walker IV will be a beast when he gets healthy. DiVincenzo in MIL has been refreshingly solid.

Spoiler:
Not counting that time he got schooled by McCollum.

Read on Twitter

Agree that is premature but also excited to see the floor vision by Huerter. The guy is an unselfish basketball player. He would have been great with Havlicek and Cousy! Seriously no joke, his style of play is what leads to championships in the TEAM game of basketball!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4609 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:37 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Agree that is premature but also excited to see the floor vision by Huerter. The guy is an unselfish basketball player. He would have been great with Havlicek and Cousy! Seriously no joke, his style of play is what leads to championships in the TEAM game of basketball!

The best possible thing that happened to him this year is coming to a team with other, higher profile rookies to take all the hype, attention, expectations off of him.

Trae gets all the headlines. Omari gets all the laughs.

Huerter just goes about his business, almost anonymously. I don't want him starting this season...but soon. Very soon.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4610 » by Spud2nique » Thu Nov 8, 2018 4:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Agree that is premature but also excited to see the floor vision by Huerter. The guy is an unselfish basketball player. He would have been great with Havlicek and Cousy! Seriously no joke, his style of play is what leads to championships in the TEAM game of basketball!

The best possible thing that happened to him this year is coming to a team with other, higher profile rookies to take all the hype, attention, expectations off of him.

Trae gets all the headlines. Omari gets all the laughs.

Huerter just goes about his business, almost anonymously. I don't want him starting this season...but soon. Very soon.

That’s true... Omari has me laughing for about 5 minutes last night and the game before. His hustle is awesome. But Huerter is gonna be nice for sure...starter minutes coming!

The way his head position doesn’t move when he makes a long no look pass is something I’ve never seen before.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4611 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm

This is 100% hindsight. But I wish we'd taken a gamble on this kid at #30 or #34.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

All things considered, Knicks appear to have come out of this draft with three solid young prospects.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4612 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:22 pm

Interesting...

Rick Carlisle praises Bulls rookie Wendell Carter Jr., who Mavs would've picked at No. 5: 'He affects the game in many ways'

Bulls rookie Wendell Carter Jr., the No. 7 pick in the draft, has had a good start to his first NBA season, averaging 11.8 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists.

The 6-10 center could have been a Maverick.

Carter had a terrific individual workout with the Mavericks before the draft, and they had their eye on him, coach Rick Carlisle said.

"If we'd have stayed at No. 5, he'd have been the guy, if he was still there," Carlisle said. "He had a great workout for us. I see him as another coming of an Al Horford type player, a guy that's both a force on the inside and he's going to be a force shooting the ball from midrange and the 3. He affects the game in many ways."
Sports Day -- Dallas
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4613 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:52 pm

this KID HAS LOOKED GREAT EARLY.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4614 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Should come as no surprise it's all mostly big men on this list.

It always makes me wonder how we consistently rate wing players as most important, when bigs always seem the most valuable by so many advanced metrics.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#4615 » by jayu70 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Should come as no surprise it's all mostly big men on this list.

It always makes me wonder how we consistently rate wing players as most important, when bigs always seem the most valuable by so many advanced metrics.

Read on Twitter

Because more often than not, in crunch time, the wing player is more likely than not to have the ball in his hands to make a play either for himself or another player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4616 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:12 pm

I acknowledge what you're saying, but...

:dontknow:

If you're up by 15 in crunch time thanks to a valiant effort from your big man, it's a moot point.

Lebron's Heat and Curry's Warriors have changed the conversation on the value of big men. I suspect it will ultimately reverse itself behind a sweet shooting, inside scoring, defensively-dominant Center like Anthony Davis or Joel Embiid. (And I suspect the Win Shares stats above reflect that.)

It's all cyclical.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#4617 » by kg01 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:23 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Should come as no surprise it's all mostly big men on this list.

Read on Twitter

Because more often than not, in crunch time, the wing player is more likely than not to have the ball in his hands to make a play either for himself or another player.

I think the difference is in the definition of the term 'wing'. I think 3's are overvalued, meaning 3nD types. Lead guards aren't overvalued for the reason you mentioned. I think bigs' effectiveness is more 'dependent' which is why they get undervalued. A really good big is hindered mightily by poor guard play.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4618 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:38 pm

kg01 wrote:A really good big is hindered mightily by poor guard play.

Now THAT is undeniable. I've heard many a big man complain about not getting the ball at the right place and right time.

NOTE: I am really surpsied to see Bamba on that Win Shares list, considering his PT has been sparse and the player ahead of him is clearly a better option right now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4619 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:03 pm

It appears I was dead wrong about JJJ. And those KG comps aren't nearly as far off as I thought.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4620 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:30 pm

kg01 wrote:I love Okogie.

Okogie emerging in Minnesota:

How Jimmy Butler left his influence -- and possible replacement -- on the Timberwolves' roster

Rookie Josh Okogie is one Minnesota player who 'appreciated' Butler's presence, both on and off the court

There's a star NBA player who Minnesota Timberwolves breakout rookie Josh Okogie models his game after. Like Okogie, this player was overlooked for much of his basketball career. Like Okogie, this player was never considered anywhere close to an elite recruit, and never came close to cracking any top-100 ranking. Like Okogie, this player's perpetual underdog status fueled his rise. And like Okogie, this player is a superior athlete, capable of the versatility that marks the most valued characteristics of a modern NBA defender, yet whose hallmark comes mostly from how he gives 100 percent effort on the court and on the practice floor.

That player?

Jimmy Butler, who was over the weekend traded from Okogie's team to the Philadelphia 76ers.

Only six rookies are averaging more minutes per game than Okogie; all six were lottery picks, while Okogie was selected 20th overall. Save for his three-point shooting -- 23.1 percent, far below his 38.2 percent three-point shooting during his two-year college career at Georgia Tech -- his statistics have been solid for a rookie. He's averaging 8.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 1.2 assists while racking up a steal per game. Like Butler, Okogie's biggest contribution to his team isn't represented by any single statistic but instead by the energy he brings to the court and infuses on his team.
CBS Sports

Return to Atlanta Hawks