No
48%

Total votes: 25

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Absurdly early 2018 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#4681 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I will say, getting two top-10 caliber talents in 2018 and having the chance to do the same in 2019 does mitigate the sting of trading that other guy.

Is that yours? Can I have it? Lol. I like that.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#4682 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:11 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:Huerter, who is looking like he should have been the 8th selection in the draft.

Let's...not get carried away.

If you don't think Huerter is the real deal, then you are crazy or seriously delusional :crazy:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#4683 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:11 pm

^Well played.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4684 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

Tweets of the day:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#4685 » by dms269 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:18 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Tweets of the day:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It's bad when the best thing you can say about their offensive skillset is that they have "fluid shot mechanics". He is a very good rebounder and defender, but his offensive game needs A lot of work. Bigs who don't have range are going to fall down draft boards all the time.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4686 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:09 pm

dms269 wrote:It's bad when the best thing you can say about their offensive skillset is that they have "fluid shot mechanics". He is a very good rebounder and defender, but his offensive game needs A lot of work. Bigs who don't have range are going to fall down draft boards all the time.

It's weird because Wendell is actually an adept shooter and passer from the 3-pt line.

But new Bulls Coach Jim Boylan has allegedly forbade him from shooting from deep. Forcing him to defer to Portis, Markkanen and play exclusively in the interior.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4687 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4688 » by Spud2nique » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

JJJ has shown inconsistency. When he’s on he does well, but when he’s off he fades. He doesn’t rebound well at all for a big.

Top 2 picks were made by the Hawks and Mavs for sure imo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4689 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Spud2nique wrote:JJJ has shown inconsistency. When he’s on he does well, but when he’s off he fades. He doesn’t rebound well at all for a big.

Yeah, I left JJJ off my top-10 list last summer for that very reason. He fades into the backgrund muc too ften.

I do see the glimpses of elite skill and understand the KG comps now. But his rebounding is AL Horford levels of terrible and he very frequently doesn't impact the game offensively.

I think Memphis would benefit from drafting a guy like Grant Williams in the 20s. He's a perfect complement to a 3 & D Center like Jr. Jaren.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#4690 » by kg01 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:JJJ has shown inconsistency. When he’s on he does well, but when he’s off he fades. He doesn’t rebound well at all for a big.

Yeah, I left JJJ off my top-10 list last summer for that very reason. He fades into the backgrund muc too ften.

I do see the glimpses of elite skill and understand the KG comps now. But his rebounding is AL Horford levels of terrible and he very frequently doesn't impact the game offensively.

I think Memphis would benefit from drafting a guy like Grant Williams in the 20s. He's a perfect complement to a 3 & D Center like Jr. Jaren.

Am I being insulted here? Are you saying I'm the JJJ of the site? I'm easily the Russ Westbrook of the site, bro. :wink:

Seriously though, this kid is still a wait-n-see for me. I still credit Gasol/Conley for him being able to play so well early. Not that he's got to fend for himself ... we'll see.
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4691 » by Spud2nique » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Am I being insulted here? Are you saying I'm the JJJ of the site? I'm easily the Russ Westbrook of the site, bro. :wink:

Seriously though, this kid is still a wait-n-see for me. I still credit Gasol/Conley for him being able to play so well early. Not that he's got to fend for himself ... we'll see.

I don’t doubt that he will be a starter and a productive player for the Grizz but I’m not sure he’s gonna get to where Trae and the Mavs euro are going.

BTW speaking of the Mavs, can they possibly assemble a more white supremacist team?

Dirk
Luka
Porzingis

Reminiscent of the late 80’s Celts and Bucks. :nonono:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4692 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Spud2nique wrote:BTW speaking of the Mavs, can they possibly assemble a more white supremacist team?

Dirk
Luka
Porzingis

C'mon, Spud. :wavefinger:

They're clearly a team built around international players. Luka's a star in the making and Porzingis seems like a natural fit for the style of play Luka does.

It's not like they're the T-Wolves from a few years back.

Diversity in the NBA is good; plus Zinger and Luka are both ballers who've faced similar skepticism from American born players in recent years.
kg01
General Manager

Post#4693 » by kg01 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:BTW speaking of the Mavs, can they possibly assemble a more white supremacist team?

Dirk
Luka
Porzingis

They're clearly a team built around international players. Luka's a star in the making and Porzingis seems like a natural fit for the style of play Luka does.

Diversity in the NBA is good; plus Zinger and Luka are both ballers who've faced similar skepticism from American born players in recent years.

Yeah, DAL has a clear and obvious plan to target international guys. Cubes' stereotypical comments about AAU ball were an obvious hint at that lean. I think an unintended consequence of that is that they'll steer away from American black players in general.

Again, I don't think they're purposely targeting non-Black players. I do, though, think that's an unintended consequence.

That said, what do you think players will surmise about that strategy, in general? I wouldn't be surprised if Cubes ends up having to answer questions on it.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4694 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm

kg01 wrote:That said, what do you think players will surmise about that strategy, in general? I wouldn't be surprised if Cubes ends up having to answer questions on it.

That's a fair question. But unless their starting 5 is all Euro guys from Eastern Europe or their entire roster ends up looking like the team from Hoosiers, I suspect building around the greatest Euro players of their respective generations will be enough of an explanation.
kg01
General Manager

Post#4695 » by kg01 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:That said, what do you think players will surmise about that strategy, in general? I wouldn't be surprised if Cubes ends up having to answer questions on it.

That's a fair question. But unless their starting 5 is all Euro guys from Eastern Europe or their entire roster ends up looking like the team from Hoosiers, I suspect building around the greatest Euro players of their respective generations will be enough of an explanation.

I have a feeling at least 80% of their roster will be foreign players. So, it won't just be building around Doncic. It'll be purposely targeting non-American players which I don't think will sit well with a lot of guys. Not even from a racial standpoint, but from an 'available-jobs' standpoint which will then lead to questions about the race thing.

Mark my words, I"m never wrong. :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4696 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:12 pm

kg01 wrote:I have a feeling at least 80% of their roster will be foreign players.

Uhhhhhh. (Am I really allowed to 'mark your words' or will that be frowned upon when I dig it up in 8 years?)

Time will tell. They didn't seem to go that route with the other Euro superstar that won MVP and contended for multiple titles. It'd be a marked change in approach to do so now.

(Are there even that many playable Euros in the league at the appropriate age and position?)
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#4697 » by Spud2nique » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Dirk
Luka
Porzingis

Exactly diversity is good. You said it yourself so why are all their top guys coincidentally white guys? I dunno, personally if I’m a top player that has a chance to go to the Mavs I wouldn’t.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#4698 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:14 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I have a feeling at least 80% of their roster will be foreign players. So, it won't just be building around Doncic. It'll be purposely targeting non-American players which I don't think will sit well with a lot of guys. Not even from a racial standpoint, but from an 'available-jobs' standpoint which will then lead to questions about the race thing.

It's said he'll be targeting Vucevic as a FA, so he's building a 'type' of team.
It'll be interesting to see how other FAs view this strategy if that's the perception.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4699 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Exactly diversity is good. You said it yourself so why are all their top guys coincidentally white guys? I dunno, personally if I’m a top player that has a chance to go to the Mavs I wouldn’t.

you know what diversity means, right?

I mean, in a league that's 90% American born and 75% black, having 4 guys who aren't those things isn't the end of the world.

Particularly when they vary by age and country of origin.

(JJ Barea makes 4)
kg01
General Manager

Post#4700 » by kg01 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:I have a feeling at least 80% of their roster will be foreign players.

Uhhhhhh. (Am I really allowed to 'mark your words' or will that be frowned upon when I dig it up in 8 years?)

Time will tell. They didn't seem to go that route with the other Euro superstar that won MVP and contended for multiple titles. It'd be a marked change in approach to do so now.

(Are there even that many playable Euros in the league at the appropriate age and position?)

Why you asking for permission to do something you know good n' well you're gonna do anyway?

I would contend that they did indeed attempt the heavy non-American strategery (look at their rosters post-title). I also contend, based on Cubes' recent comments and moves, they'll ramp up that strategery.

Return to Atlanta Hawks