Post#41 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:22 am

After 1 game I'm feelin like this...lol
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Re: Opening Night: HAWKS @ Mavs Official Game Thread 

Post#42 » by graymule » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 am

8-)

Just think... If Atlanta is a 27 win team, as we have been told, over and over, it's now one down and 26 to go!

Think of this. As individual players, we are told, Atlanta is not that good. In last night's victory, Bud used
a 12 man rotation. They played fast. They pushed. Before they could let up, they were back on the pine,
resting, while fresh players came into the game and continued to push.

For at least one game, some questions were answered. Can these players function as a team? Yep. Can we,
as a team, play decent defense? Yep. Can they score? And, can they hit a very good % of their free throws?
Oh, yes they can!

If this continues, this team, which is so much fun to watch, could exceed all expectations and win 30 games
and not just 27 ! - :D

GO HAWKS !

:D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 am

Kudos to Budenholzer for adjusting his offense around the best offensive weapon in his arsenal.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Dennis was very productive and timely.

It's clear, he was taking notes from the way John Wall played against him last postseason. Pushing the ball for easy transition scores...even after made buckets.

Hawks deserve all the credit in the world for a fun, impressive victory.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:59 am

I'm still in awe over last night's victory. Regardless of what the season turns into, this feels pretty great.

Dennis was nigh unstoppable. We didn't over rely on the 3 ball. Bellinelli looked like an All Star after missing all preseason. Collins took advantage in transition. And we actually had double digit offensive rebounds.

I'm all like...
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#46 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

I've said this since Dennis' 2nd year, but Schroder looks way more like Wade than Rondo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter

A more sobering look at Game One on-court performances...
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#48 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm

I won't let a soul harsh my buzz from last nights win with charts, graphs and nimbers.
GO Hawks!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 pm

A trend to keep an eye out for:

Read on Twitter

I don't think this one will stand. Teams will ultimately start leaving a big man in the lane to slow Dennis's path to the basket. DS will either need to shoot lights out in the mid-range or kick to an open player on the outside to capitalize.

Can Dedmon/Collins hit enough from 20+ feet out to punish opposing bigs?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#50 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:11 pm

Read on Twitter

3. John Collins is ready for big minutes

Just 22 minutes into his NBA career, Collins has proven he is capable of providing an impact anytime he steps onto the floor.

In his professional debut, Collins totaled 14 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the field, five rebounds, two steals and an assist. Plus, his teammates discovered that if their path to the rim is well defended, they can simply toss the ball up and Collins will find a way to make a play.

2. Atlanta has plenty of long range shooting

The offensive system of Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer is predicated on moving the ball, spacing the floor and capitalizing on open looks. Even with five players making their first appearance for the Hawks Wednesday night, the philosophy seemed to be well established.

Atlanta hoisted up 18 shots from 3-point range and connected nine times, matching their average from last season.

The reserves totaled 57 points for the Hawks, with 20 coming from Belinelli as he went 4-for-6 from 3-point range on the night.

Along with the sharpshooting of Belinelli, Kent Bazemore, Dennis Schroder, Luke Babbitt, Josh Magette and Malcolm Delaney all managed to convert at least once from 3-point range.

1. Dennis Schroder ready for a breakout year

During his first game as the unquestioned leader in Atlanta, Schroder delivered, dishing out seven assists while turning the ball over just twice.

The passing of Schroder generated 15 points and combined with his game-high 28 points, he accounted for 37 percent of the Hawks’ offense. Part of his significant contributions came from Schroder calling his own number very frequently.

Whenever the Hawks’ offense broke down, Schroder improvised and frequently attacked the basket, a facet that suits him perfectly.

Schroder closed out the game by scoring 10 points in the fourth quarter, with eight coming off layups as he simply dashed past defenders to the rim.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#51 » by macd-gm » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Dennis, Marco, Prince looked great. Ersan, Dedmon were good. Baze, I don't know, maybe this is his ceiling. He needs to go back to spot up 3s. He didn't play bad but still looked wild on offense.

Delaney, man that's some of the worst D i've seen in a while. He just randomly chases guys around the court. Often totally leaving his guy. I don't get it. I was happy to see Magette in there. Not sure of Bud's love for Delaney. Especially when you can just play Bembry. Although Bembry has to take those wide open shots.

Collins, what can you say, the dude is serious serious. And I for one love the dunks. Don't care what anyone says.

Forgot Babbitt. He's going to be good for us soon. His release is so quick.

Marco, glad he's on the Hawks. Wish we could keep him for a while.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#52 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#53 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#54 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:04 pm

macd-gm wrote:Dennis, Marco, Prince looked great. Ersan, Dedmon were good. Baze, I don't know, maybe this is his ceiling. He needs to go back to spot up 3s. He didn't play bad but still looked wild on offense.

Delaney, man that's some of the worst D i've seen in a while. He just randomly chases guys around the court. Often totally leaving his guy. I don't get it. I was happy to see Magette in there. Not sure of Bud's love for Delaney. Especially when you can just play Bembry. Although Bembry has to take those wide open shots.

Collins, what can you say, the dude is serious serious. And I for one love the dunks. Don't care what anyone says.

Forgot Babbitt. He's going to be good for us soon. His release is so quick.

Marco, glad he's on the Hawks. Wish we could keep him for a while.

My fave.. :D
Read on Twitter
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#55 » by graymule » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am

:lol:

Shocking as it was, Hawks actually winning their opening game, the NBA will be turned up side down
if they were to win #2.

The Hornets are so much better, so we are told by those experts we all know about, because D8 is their
center. Hawks will not be able to score inside or gather any rebounds. Their new center will see to this.
He, all by himself, will completely stop Dennis from any driving inside. - :lol:

Do these experts really believe that Bud and his staff will use the same offensive plan as they used in
game #1. Different game. Different team we are facing. Different blueprint. Come on man!

Ain't this fun! We're messing with their mind !!

GO HAWKS !

:nod: :D
Sultanofatl
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#56 » by Sultanofatl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:36 pm

That game was FUN. If we could play Dallas every night we might be a problem. Have to see the guys against better competition to see if any of this sticks.
If it counts luck is worth the same as skill
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#57 » by Spud2nique » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Sultanofatl wrote:That game was FUN. If we could play Dallas every night we might be a problem. Have to see the guys against better competition to see if any of this sticks.

Sultanofatl...u look familiar..lol

Return to Atlanta Hawks