Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Re: Hawks Board Non-Sports Talk 

Post#321 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Color me intrigued:

Gary Parrish wrote:Georgia coach update: Tom Crean expected to meet with Bulldogs officials

Thad Matta turned Georgia down, but another former Big Ten Coach of the Year is in the mix

Crean, 51, has spent the past year working for ESPN. He was fired last March at Indiana following his ninth season with the Hoosiers. The 2016 Big Ten Coach of the Year guided Indiana to two outright Big Ten regular-season titles and a No. 1 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Before that, he coached Marquette for nine seasons and advanced to the Final Four in 2003. A source told CBS Sports that Crean would likely accept an offer from Georgia barring any money or unexpected interview issues.

Sources told CBS Sports that a search firm working on behalf of the school initially inquired about Xavier's Chris Mack and Texas' Shaka Smart, both of whom respectfully declined. Georgia then offered its job to former Ohio State coach Thad Matta earlier this week. He declined the offer Wednesday.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#322 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Color me MORE intrigued:

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#323 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 pm

Anybody need the presale code for Jay-Z? Starts today before the public gets their shot at them.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#324 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Color me intrigued:

Gary Parrish wrote:Georgia coach update: Tom Crean expected to meet with Bulldogs officials

Thad Matta turned Georgia down, but another former Big Ten Coach of the Year is in the mix

Crean, 51, has spent the past year working for ESPN. He was fired last March at Indiana following his ninth season with the Hoosiers. The 2016 Big Ten Coach of the Year guided Indiana to two outright Big Ten regular-season titles and a No. 1 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament. Before that, he coached Marquette for nine seasons and advanced to the Final Four in 2003. A source told CBS Sports that Crean would likely accept an offer from Georgia barring any money or unexpected interview issues.

Sources told CBS Sports that a search firm working on behalf of the school initially inquired about Xavier's Chris Mack and Texas' Shaka Smart, both of whom respectfully declined. Georgia then offered its job to former Ohio State coach Thad Matta earlier this week. He declined the offer Wednesday.
CBS Sports

You dawg fans liking this hire?

As a GT fan who's familiar with his work at IU on the court and off, I'm loving it. :) TIFWIW
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#325 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:47 pm

kg01 wrote:

As a GT fan who's familiar with his work at IU on the court and off, I'm loving it. :) TIFWIW

I don't think I quantify as a UGA fan, but I think this hiring raises their profile and could help improve recruiting. There should be a bump over the next 3+ years based on name recognition, goodwill and some solid signings they wouldn't have gotten under the previous guy.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#326 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Can he keep GA highschoolers in State?
kg01
General Manager

Post#327 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I don't think I quantify as a UGA fan, but I think this hiring raises their profile and could help improve recruiting. There should be a bump over the next 3+ years based on name recognition, goodwill and some solid signings they wouldn't have gotten under the previous guy.

The problem with their search is they were apparently fixated on hiring a 'name' which Crean certainly is. They seemed to ignore the fact that people in IN grew to hate him. I don't view him as a recruiter, IU recruits itself. All the coach has to do is not screw it up ... which is something Crean ultimately did via his weird, surly personality.

On top of all that, he's a guy that kisses his adult son on the mouth.

Admittedly, this is all coming from a GT fan so TIFWIW. :D
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#328 » by Spud2nique » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:02 am

Ok I’m at my nephew’s superhero middle school play and he just informed me that this punk kid Thomas is 10X better than me!!!! 10X? That’s a lot so I’ve kinda been sizing up the kid just to let him know I’m here if he wants to go.

Then my nephew said..”ya he teaches us basketball and makes 5 pointers.”

I can’t compete with that. :noway:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#329 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 pm

For all the picky eaters out there...

Tweet of the day:

The Men Who Eat Like Boys
Why some guys never outgrow the kid’s menu

Mel Magazine

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#330 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Global warming is real, y'all.

...polar scientists predict that the Arctic will become virtually ice-free, with less than a million square kilometers of ice (a bit larger than the size of Texas) during the peak of summer. This has a lot of geopolitical consequences, as Vox’s Johnny Harris explained in a documentary. Russia is now positioning itself to be the dominant country when it comes to shipping routes in the Arctic Ocean.
Vox

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#331 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:02 pm

It's no longer politics, y'all!!! It's accepted science we can all get behind!!!!

Chevron just agreed in court that humans cause climate change, setting a new legal precedent

But the question of whether a city can sue an oil company for climate change damage remains murky.

Last week, a federal judge at the US District Court for the Northern District of California held a five-hour tutorial to lay the scientific foundation for two lawsuits against the five biggest oil companies in the world.

And when it was his turn to present, the Chevron attorney agreed that human activity is changing the climate and that it warrants action.

This is a seismic shift from years past, when “uncertainties” about climate change were the party line for oil companies. Humanity’s role in rising temperatures has now been established in court, and future legal wrangling will have to build on this foundation.
Vox.com
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#332 » by macd-gm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm

I tend to believe this guy over your "scientist"

“There is a cooling and there is a heating, and I mean, look—it used to not be climate change. It used to be global warming. Right? . . . That wasn’t working too well, because it was getting too cold all over the place. The ice caps were going to melt, they were going to be gone by now, but now they’re setting records, so O.K., they’re at a record level.”
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#333 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm

^ I don't understand what this is.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#334 » by macd-gm » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^ I don't understand what this is.

Just a joke. That's our president.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,870

Post#335 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Things that make you say....mmmmmmmm.....
Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#336 » by Spud2nique » Sun Apr 1, 2018 2:22 pm

I didn’t know where to put this. Shout out to the Braves! 15-2 and some new park records! 2-1 now and a nice way to start the season. ( we should be 3-0).

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#337 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 4, 2018 6:29 pm

6 ways Martin Luther King Jr. is reflected in today’s political movements

On the 50th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King’s assassination, POLITICO takes a look at how Americans emulate the late civil rights leader, consciously or not, in today’s political movements.

Politico
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#338 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:09 pm

Sometimes, it seems like Humanity 'wants' to destroy itself...

Considering the US plays a major role in the defense of South Korea, I'm pretty sure the American Military complex is serving as a catalyst in this action. Going through Korean universities because US schools would never [publically] agree to such action.

Artificial intelligence researchers boycott South Korean university amid fears it is developing killer robots

Leading artificial intelligence researchers have boycotted South Korea’s top university after it teamed up with a defence company to develop “killer robots” for military use.

An open letter sent to the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) stated that the 57 signatories from nearly 30 different countries would no longer visit or collaborate with the university until autonomous weapons were no longer developed at the institute.

“It is regrettable that a prestigious institution like KAIST looks to accelerate the arms race to develop such weapons,” the letter states.

“They have the potential to be weapons of terror. Despots and terrorists could use them against innocent populations, removing any ethical restraints. This Pandora’s box will be hard to close if it is opened.”
The Independent
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#339 » by MaceCase » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:34 pm

*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
kg01
General Manager

Post#340 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 5, 2018 1:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Sometimes, it seems like Humanity 'wants' to destroy itself...

Considering the US plays a major role in the defense of South Korea, I'm pretty sure the American Military complex is serving as a catalyst in this action. Going through Korean universities because US schools would never [publically] agree to such action.

Artificial intelligence researchers boycott South Korean university amid fears it is developing killer robots

Leading artificial intelligence researchers have boycotted South Korea’s top university after it teamed up with a defence company to develop “killer robots” for military use.

An open letter sent to the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) stated that the 57 signatories from nearly 30 different countries would no longer visit or collaborate with the university until autonomous weapons were no longer developed at the institute.

“It is regrettable that a prestigious institution like KAIST looks to accelerate the arms race to develop such weapons,” the letter states.

“They have the potential to be weapons of terror. Despots and terrorists could use them against innocent populations, removing any ethical restraints. This Pandora’s box will be hard to close if it is opened.”
The Independent

Have they not seen T2: Judgment Day!!?!?

Honestly though, considering the proliferation of "smart" devices (not just phones), I believe the real killer robots are probably already in our houses. :o

Return to Atlanta Hawks