Hawks Board Non-Sports Talk

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Re: Hawks Board Non-Sports Talk 

Post#621 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 6, 2018 12:14 pm

It's like an episode of Veep crossed with House of Cards with a sprinkle of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'.

The past 3 weeks have been hilarious, exasperating, terrifying and so much fun to watch.

It's going to make an amazing TV show. (American Crime Story: The Trump Administration)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#622 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 6, 2018 12:19 pm

Monetizing Civil Rights?

Uggh.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#623 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 6, 2018 6:05 pm

This occurred about 200 yards from where I recently worked.

I ate lunch there literally hundreds of times over the years. :nonono:

thoughts and prayers...<sigh>

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#624 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Impossible...

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#625 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The CEO of the Athletic is not messing around:

This is a big hire for that site. I fear it means a diminished less visible role for one of my favorite National NBA reporters as he appears to be covering DC Sports exclusively in the future.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#626 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I went to elementary school in MS in the 1980s. This was extremely common then.

It does feel like a move in the wrong direction, though.

Maybe these guys should watch season 4 of 'The Wire' for some more innovative alternatives.

Georgia school can spank misbehaving students with 24-inch wooden paddle under new policy

Students attending an east Georgia public charter school could be spanked with a wooden paddle if they misbehave.

Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics, which houses kindergarten through 9th grade, introduced a new paddling policy this school year, local TV station WRDW/WAGT first reported, and some parents have already agreed to allow school staff to strike their child as a form of discipline.

If parents do not allow the school to paddle their child, that child could face up to five days of suspension.

Spoiler:
According to a parental consent form obtained by WRDW detailing the new policy, a school administrator will take students "behind closed doors," requiring them to place hands on their knees or furniture and "will be struck on the buttocks with a paddle" measuring a maximum of 24 inches long. An adult witness will be present.

The school told the station it will use a three strike system before implementing the corporal punishment.

Paddling is still legal in schools in at least 19 states (Georgia included) that specifically allow corporal punishment or have no laws against it.
USA Today

:gossip:

Thoughts?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#627 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I went to elementary school in MS in the 1980s. This was extremely common then.

It does feel like a move in the wrong direction, though.

Maybe these guys should watch season 4 of 'The Wire' for some more innovative alternatives.

Georgia school can spank misbehaving students with 24-inch wooden paddle under new policy

Students attending an east Georgia public charter school could be spanked with a wooden paddle if they misbehave.

Georgia School for Innovation and the Classics, which houses kindergarten through 9th grade, introduced a new paddling policy this school year, local TV station WRDW/WAGT first reported, and some parents have already agreed to allow school staff to strike their child as a form of discipline.

If parents do not allow the school to paddle their child, that child could face up to five days of suspension.

Spoiler:
According to a parental consent form obtained by WRDW detailing the new policy, a school administrator will take students "behind closed doors," requiring them to place hands on their knees or furniture and "will be struck on the buttocks with a paddle" measuring a maximum of 24 inches long. An adult witness will be present.

The school told the station it will use a three strike system before implementing the corporal punishment.

Paddling is still legal in schools in at least 19 states (Georgia included) that specifically allow corporal punishment or have no laws against it.
USA Today

:gossip:

Thoughts?

Was common place back in the day. My dad was a principal and did his share of 'paddling'.
Times have changed, gotta change with the times.
However, parents are aware and are signing the consent form, so I guess they are ok with it.
I can think of a few 'adults' that can do with some paddling right about now.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#628 » by macd-gm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I don't believe physical punishment is beneficial form of punishment for a child anyway. But even for someone who believes in it do they really want to hand over that responsibility to any rando working at the school? I feel like some people who support this are the ones scared to let a teacher teach their kid sex education. They are ok with teachers hitting their kids with wooden bats but not teaching them how to put a condom on? What a world.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#629 » by kg01 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:29 pm

macd-gm wrote:I don't believe physical punishment is beneficial form of punishment for a child anyway. But even for someone who believes in it do they really want to hand over that responsibility to any rando working at the school? I feel like some people who support this are the ones scared to let a teacher teach their kid sex education. They are ok with teachers hitting their kids with wooden bats but not teaching them how to put a condom on? What a world.

Did they do spankin' when you were grade-school age, macd? I guess you got punished whenever you forgot to feed your pet dinosaurs? Heh. Get it? 'Cause you're old? Haha, you laughed.

I think spanking in schools was being fazed out as I was growing up. It was threatened but never actually happened in my grade school days.

Now, with kids in grade school, there's no way I'm allowing some rando to spank the kg's. And if they do, you're gonna see me on the news with some rando in a choke-hold. Leave the parentin' to me and the mrs, thanks.

Also, I'm not sure I want them teaching my kids sex ed either though. Run them through basic anatomy and biology and such but leave the complicated explanations to me and the mrs. I'm friend with a lot of folks that work in the school system and them dudes/ladies be crazy. Ain't no tellin' what they're telling these kids in them classes.
king01 :king:
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#630 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:02 pm

Why wooden paddle? Why not something softer?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#631 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:56 pm

:o

Who approves things like this?!?

A retailer is being called out for selling a fat-shaming sweatshirt — but the brand says 'it's the opposite of what it seems'

People are criticizing Revolve, an online retailer, for selling a sweatshirt that seems to promote fat shaming. The sweatshirt, which is designed by the brand LPA, reads "Being fat is not beautiful. It's an excuse." The $168 "Paloma Sweatshirt" is currently listed as sold out on Revolve's website. But on Wednesday, the retailer faced swift backlash over the product.

LPA has since responded to the backlash, claiming that the sweatshirt is not what it seems.

A spokesperson for Revolve confirmed this in a statement to INSIDER.

"[On Wednesday,] images of a forthcoming LPA collection were prematurely released on Revolve.com," a representative for Revolve said. "The capsule collection — originally conceived by LPA alongside Lena Dunham, Emily Ratajkowski, Cara Delevingne, Suki Waterhouse and Paloma Elsesser — was set to debut [Thursday] as a direct commentary on the modern day 'normality' of cyberbullying and the shared desire to create a community for those most affected by the epidemic."

Insider

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#632 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::o

A retailer is being called out for selling a fat-shaming sweatshirt — but the brand says 'it's the opposite of what it seems'

People are criticizing Revolve, an online retailer, for selling a sweatshirt that seems to promote fat shaming. The sweatshirt, which is designed by the brand LPA, reads "Being fat is not beautiful. It's an excuse." The $168 "Paloma Sweatshirt" is currently listed as sold out on Revolve's website. But on Wednesday, the retailer faced swift backlash over the product.

LPA has since responded to the backlash, claiming that the sweatshirt is not what it seems.

"[On Wednesday,] images of a forthcoming LPA collection were prematurely released on Revolve.com," a representative for Revolve said. "The capsule collection — originally conceived by LPA alongside Lena Dunham, Emily Ratajkowski, Cara Delevingne, Suki Waterhouse and Paloma Elsesser — was set to debut [Thursday] as a direct commentary on the modern day 'normality' of cyberbullying and the shared desire to create a community for those most affected by the epidemic."

Insider

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

$168 sweatshirt???? :noway:
...and yeah....whatever they were 'trying' to do...missed real bad
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#633 » by macd-gm » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm

anyone understand what that's supposed to mean? Seems like a bad google translate.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#634 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Ten years sober, this former jack@ss has come a loooong way.

Read on Twitter
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#635 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote::o

Insider

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Publicity stunt?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#636 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Jeff Teague 100% laser-focused as always:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#637 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:48 pm

Uuuummmm.......
Read on Twitter

.....and please give Mary Poppins back her shoes.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#638 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm

I gotta say...I might be rooting for the Browns moving forward. They actually look like a competitive football team every week.

Realistically, they should be 2-0-1 right now.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#639 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter

I like it!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#640 » by jayu70 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 pm