Jahlil Okafor

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Re: Jahlil Okafor 

Post#41 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 12:59 am

graymule wrote:8-) 8-) 8-)

Haven't noticed that Okafor has left the Sixers.

Since Hawks are short handed for a while @ center, would we consider giving a second round
pick and try prying him away?

Side note: Hawks DID give King James a good game. Just think, he had to personally guard Dennis!

The Hawks have Portland's 2020 2nd (protected 31-55), that is all I would offer.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#42 » by graymule » Sat Dec 2, 2017 8:36 pm

:D

Even up for Moose?

:nod:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#43 » by jayu70 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 9:24 pm

graymule wrote::D

Even up for Moose?

Moose for Okafor - sure. :D
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#44 » by Spud2nique » Sun Dec 3, 2017 2:49 pm

jayu70 wrote:

Even up for Moose?

I'd miss the goggles of the Moose more than anything Okafor would bring to us...
LamarHampton
Freshman
And1: 85

Post#45 » by LamarHampton » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:43 am

Spud2nique wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Even up for Moose?

I'd miss the goggles of the Moose more than anything Okafor would bring to us...

Sad to say but I would legit keep Moose over Okafor. Admittedly I don't watch a ton of Okafor, but unless Hehas a hidden talent or ability that I have yet to witness, I am going Moose all day. (which is really sad for a guy drafted where Okafor was, you know? Like it really feels bad to say that because Moose has been mega underwhelming since at least the start of last season, and now that he has a seemingly unhealing sprained ankle, well, I'm not exactly closed-minded about trading him away.)
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#46 » by graymule » Mon Dec 4, 2017 2:51 pm

LamarHampton wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Moose for Okafor - sure. :D

Sad to say but I would legit keep Moose over Okafor. Admittedly I don't watch a ton of Okafor, but unless Hehas a hidden talent or ability that I have yet to witness, I am going Moose all day. (which is really sad for a guy drafted where Okafor was, you know? Like it really feels bad to say that because Moose has been mega underwhelming since at least the start of last season, and now that he has a seemingly unhealing sprained ankle, well, I'm not exactly closed-minded about trading him away.)

8-)

The love, or lack thereof, for Moose by jayu70 is well known. She would like him gone. Okafor becomes a free agent
at the season's end. Moose - nope.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#47 » by jayu70 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 3:46 pm

graymule wrote:
LamarHampton wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

8-)

The love, or lack thereof, for Moose by jayu70 is well known. She would like him gone. Okafor becomes a free agent
at the season's end. Moose - nope.

Lol, I'm just over Moose. Moose can opt out and become a FA (doubtful).
Every season I think Moose'll be a lil better, then he disappoints.
Cavanaugh has impressed me more in his short stint.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:39 pm

Hoops Habit proposes Okafor to the Celtics in exchange for Detroit's 2019 2nd round pick.

It's crazy, cause he was avg 17 ppg and 7 rpg just a year and a half ago...at age 19. Philly has completely mismanaged this asset.

Read on Twitter

ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski recently reported that the price for Okafor has dropped to just one second round pick, which seems like a bargain for a player of his caliber. I don’t know how many players you will find in the second round with the potential to become a good role player or even better.

The one big thing that really slows Okafor from being a good player is his ability to play defense.

[T]he Celtics need his offensive skills, as their bench ranks 22nd in the league in scoring. Okafor can come off the bench and provide the Celtics with a much-needed presence in the scoring column.

He is still just 21 years old, with so much to prove. Why not send away a second round pick for a player who has a chip on his shoulder?
DarthTater
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#49 » by DarthTater » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:10 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hoops Habit proposes Okafor to the Celtics in exchange for Detroit's 2019 2nd round pick.

It's crazy, cause he was avg 17 ppg and 7 rpg just a year and a half ago...at age 19. Philly has completely mismanaged this asset.

Read on Twitter

ESPN‘s Adrian Wojnarowski recently reported that the price for Okafor has dropped to just one second round pick, which seems like a bargain for a player of his caliber. I don’t know how many players you will find in the second round with the potential to become a good role player or even better.

The one big thing that really slows Okafor from being a good player is his ability to play defense.

[T]he Celtics need his offensive skills, as their bench ranks 22nd in the league in scoring. Okafor can come off the bench and provide the Celtics with a much-needed presence in the scoring column.

He is still just 21 years old, with so much to prove. Why not send away a second round pick for a player who has a chip on his shoulder?

"Moose" should be renamed "Mousse".
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#50 » by macd-gm » Mon Dec 4, 2017 8:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hoops Habit proposes Okafor to the Celtics in exchange for Detroit's 2019 2nd round pick.

Read on Twitter

Why? is the question everyone is asking. There has to be a reason. It's not like Philly doesn't need a good scoring big off the bench.
LamarHampton
Freshman

Post#51 » by LamarHampton » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:12 am

There's still the conundrum that if you like him it makes no sense to trade for him because youre limited to offering him like $6M next year and he is sure to get outbid from that amount. So whatever you give up for him is just for the rest of this season and you are basically limiting yourself in trying to sign him next offseason. We are not in win-now mode or in dire need of his services. (Since we are tanking we can start Delaney at C and who cares?) there is no need to piss away an asset to get him now; the time to act if you like him is this offseason.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 6, 2017 12:40 pm

^All of this makes sense. But I'd be willing to move a low end, veteran, expiring player for the chance to get him in our program now and build a relationship early.

Waiting till next offseason, we'd be just one of a dozen teams vying for his services.

But everything above makes sense.
LamarHampton
Freshman

Post#53 » by LamarHampton » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:01 am

I don't care one way or the other about Okafor, but if you like him and want to spend time developing him then you wait until the offseason. Trading for him now puts you in the weird spot of being severely limited in what you can offer. Even if it's for a crappy vet, Delamey, Moose, or even 2030 31-55 protected second rounder, it doesn't make sense to do the trade because you're setting yourself up to get outbidbecause of the restrictions assocaited with stepping into the shoes of Philly. I just don't know much about him or his game to have an opinion either way, but I just can't beleive the FO woudl do that deal because it would almost certainly be a waste of assets and time developing him this season, but then again, they did that terrible Dwight deal so I guess anything is possible.
graymule
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by graymule » Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:36 pm

:noway: :noway:

Too late. Whatever we might have offered didn't work. Nets have him now. He was apparently like
a round peg trying to fit into a square hole while with the Sixers.

Now, we will see. Does he continue to be a lost cause OR does he, like a flower in the spring, bloom
out for all to admire?

Did we, a rebuilding team, loose a good opportunity to improve OR did we dodge a bullet? Time will tell.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#55 » by HMFFL » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:15 pm

Brooklyn wins with an offer that appeared to be the best on the table.
Okafor must be a cancer like some reports in the past suggested. I'd like to see him have success and with a couple of productive seasons he should be able to see a big payday.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:33 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Brooklyn Nets have made a pair of "second draft" moves in trading for Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell. The hope is that the new situation maximizes the talent that people saw in Okafor and Russell during the draft process less than three years ago.

“Well, I think in any trade or acquisition, you’re essentially going to bet on your staff,” Sean Marks said. “That’s what we’ll do.”

The Nets still have one more draft without their first round pick.

“We’re not trying to get this all back in one fell swoop, or anything like that," Marks said. "We’ll see what opportunities arise over the next year or 18 months, two years, three years and so forth. [That is] the same thing we’ve done over the last 18 months.
Real GM
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:44 pm

Sad ending to this tale. Can you imagine your entire career largely being over at age 22?

He should look overseas for opportunities.

Jahlil Okafor not sure what is next, but it’s probably not with Nets

When Jahlil Okafor went to the Nets, it seemed he would get his chance to prove he still had a place in the NBA. Despite the injuries and a below-the-rim game and struggling defense, the Nets seemed a place he could get some run and show what he can do

In the Nets 18 games since the All-Star break, he has played in just three. He may well not get on the court again.

Okafor is an unrestricted free agent, so what is next for him next summer?

Okafor will have a few options, but mot many — there are teams willing to role the dice on him, although unlikely with a fully guaranteed deal for the next season. He’s going to have to again prove he can stay healthy and contribute to stick in the league.
Yahoo Sports
jayu70
RealGM

Post#58 » by jayu70 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:08 pm

Unless he can improve his defense and rebounding he bound for an overseas career.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#59 » by hawkmanreturns » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Sad ending to this tale. Can you imagine your entire career largely being over at age 22?

When Jahlil Okafor went to the Nets, it seemed he would get his chance to prove he still had a place in the NBA. Despite the injuries and a below-the-rim game and struggling defense, the Nets seemed a place he could get some run and show what he can do

In the Nets 18 games since the All-Star break, he has played in just three. He may well not get on the court again.

Okafor will have a few options, but mot many — there are teams willing to role the dice on him, although unlikely with a fully guaranteed deal for the next season. He’s going to have to again prove he can stay healthy and contribute to stick in the league.
Yahoo Sports

This just seems wrong. There was a time when a guy as good as he is in the post would be an NBA player for +10 years, defensive liability or not.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#60 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 4, 2018 1:33 pm

hawkmanreturns wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Sad ending to this tale. Can you imagine your entire career largely being over at age 22?

Yahoo Sports

This just seems wrong. There was a time when a guy as good as he is in the post would be an NBA player for +10 years, defensive liability or not.

Very true, but I think it's more about non-basketball stuff with him. He has a sense of entitlement that he hasn't put in the work for. I still remember his Philly press conference as a rookie - #jerseydrop...

Return to Atlanta Hawks