Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Re: Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward 

Post#61 » by Revived » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:36 am

Read on Twitter

I was wondering this same thing. Some of the names linked to the Suns like Fizdale, Clifford etc are guys that the Hawks could have interest in as well.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#62 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 am

The smelly elephant in the room is ; what if no one offers for Bud? Compensation and his price tag could turn teams off. Hawks are left with a smoldering pile of rotting elephant if that develops
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#63 » by MaceCase » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 am

ATL Boy wrote:What about Steve Clifford? I like the job he did with the Bobcats the couple years before this one, and he won't have to coach Dwight Howard here. He seems to have adapted to the modern game.

I'd say the opposite about Clifford. Part of what made Dwight attractive to the Hornets was Clifford's old school use of Al Jefferson beforehand.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#64 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 am

Revived wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Lol...ya getting Stackhouse over Bud is the right move..(green font). Just wow. Sometimes you all don’t realize we have the 2nd best coach in the league and take it for granted.

I honestly hope we can’t get details of the Bud deal because it’s a lifelong deal. Love the guy.

He's not coming back. You don't interview for other jobs and then return to your old job especially in something like NBA head coaching.

There's no precedent of this ever happening and it's not going to start now.

I don't think Bud is coming back but saying there is no precedent means squat.
There wasn't a precedent for trading for a coach either, until it actually happened with Doc. And it's taken this long for another to potentially happen.
There wasn't a precedent for a coach leaving writing a book about the organization and star player then going back to coach same player until Phil Jackson.
There is no precedent until the 1st time it happens.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#65 » by Spud2nique » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:56 pm

MaceCase wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:What about Steve Clifford? I like the job he did with the Bobcats the couple years before this one, and he won't have to coach Dwight Howard here. He seems to have adapted to the modern game.

I'd say the opposite about Clifford. Part of what made Dwight attractive to the Hornets was Clifford's old school use of Al Jefferson beforehand.

I’ll give you an and 1 because of the content on this but I’m very disappointed in you Mace.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#66 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Lol...ya getting Stackhouse over Bud is the right move..(green font). Just wow. Sometimes you all don’t realize we have the 2nd best coach in the league and take it for granted.

I honestly hope we can’t get details of the Bud deal because it’s a lifelong deal. Love the guy.

He's not coming back. You don't interview for other jobs and then return to your old job especially in something like NBA head coaching.

There's no precedent of this ever happening and it's not going to start now.

I don't think Bud is coming back but saying there is no precedent means squat.
There wasn't a precedent for trading for a coach either, until it actually happened with Doc. And it's taken this long for another to potentially happen.
There wasn't a precedent for a coach leaving writing a book about the organization and star player then going back to coach same player until Phil Jackson.
There is no precedent until the 1st time it happens.

Actually, I forgot about these other coach trades:

Stan Van Gundy: traded from MIA to Orl for a 2nd and the right to swap 1sts, even though he was no longer the coach but still under contract. Gundy resigned as coach but still stayed with the team in a diff. capacity. Orl still had to compensate the Heat.
Pat Riley: traded from NYK to MIA for a future 1st (turned into 19th pick overall in 96). There was a tampering charge filed by NYK in this cuffufle.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#67 » by ATL Boy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:00 pm

MaceCase wrote:

They took a step back this year while having to feed Dwight but I think he did a good job adapting to the modern style by implementing an offense predicated on the 3-ball the two years previous.

I'm not stepping up to bat for Clifford like I am for a Nick Nurse, just saying it's a name to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#68 » by macd-gm » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

I'm fairly confident that Travis already has his guy pegged or at least a list of 2 or 3. I'm also certain that it's someone who's never been a head coach in the NBA. You don't fire Bud just to bring in another experienced guy with his own style. TS wants total control.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#69 » by kg01 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:17 pm

macd-gm wrote:I'm fairly confident that Travis already has his guy pegged or at least a list of 2 or 3. I'm also certain that it's someone who's never been a head coach in the NBA. You don't fire Bud just to bring in another experienced guy with his own style. TS wants total control.

Our GLeague coach, bro. Book it.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#70 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:21 pm

kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:I'm fairly confident that Travis already has his guy pegged or at least a list of 2 or 3. I'm also certain that it's someone who's never been a head coach in the NBA. You don't fire Bud just to bring in another experienced guy with his own style. TS wants total control.

This crazy, crack-pot, cockamamie theory...kind of makes sense.

Longstaff was hired after Schlenk, meaning the GM likely had some input in that hiring.

It would explain why we haven't been linked to any other coaching prospects.

He's young enough to groom long term. But cheap enough to dump in a few seasons should we need a more experienced hand.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Josh Longstaff named NBA G League Coach of the Month

Erie BayHawks head coach Josh Longstaff has been named NBA G League Coach of the Month, it was announced today. The honor is Coach Longstaff’s first as an NBA G League head coach.

The Erie BayHawks are currently riding a four-game winning streak, which is their longest winning streak of the 2017-18 season. Over the month of January, Erie notched an 8-3 (.727) total record, which is tied for the second-most wins and tied for second-best record of the month. Of the BayHawks’ 11 games in January, they compiled a 6-1 (.857) record against opponents with winning records, which included two wins against their Southeast Division rival Lakeland Magic.

Over the month of January, Erie finished top 10 in eight statistical categories. The BayHawks recorded 6.6 blocks (third-best), 9.6 steals (sixth-best), dished out 23.0 assists per game (eighth-best), pulled down 11.8 offensive rebounds per contest (eighth-best), poured in 110.3 points per contest (eighth-best) on .364 shooting from three-point territory (eighth-best) and 11.9 made triples per game (ninth-best). Erie also held its opponents to an average of 107.6 points per game (10th lowest).
NBA.com -- February 2018
kg01
General Manager

Post#71 » by kg01 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Longstaff was hired after Schlenk, meaning the GM likely had some input.

He's young enough to groom long term. But cheap enough to dump in a few seasons should we need a more experienced hand.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Erie BayHawks head coach Josh Longstaff has been named NBA G League Coach of the Month, it was announced today. The honor is Coach Longstaff’s first as an NBA G League head coach.

The Erie BayHawks are currently riding a four-game winning streak, which is their longest winning streak of the 2017-18 season. Over the month of January, Erie notched an 8-3 (.727) total record, which is tied for the second-most wins and tied for second-best record of the month. Of the BayHawks’ 11 games in January, they compiled a 6-1 (.857) record against opponents with winning records, which included two wins against their Southeast Division rival Lakeland Magic.

Over the month of January, Erie finished top 10 in eight statistical categories. The BayHawks recorded 6.6 blocks (third-best), 9.6 steals (sixth-best), dished out 23.0 assists per game (eighth-best), pulled down 11.8 offensive rebounds per contest (eighth-best), poured in 110.3 points per contest (eighth-best) on .364 shooting from three-point territory (eighth-best) and 11.9 made triples per game (ninth-best). Erie also held its opponents to an average of 107.6 points per game (10th lowest).
NBA.com -- February 2018

Sooner or later you'll begin to understand that I'm 'crack-pot' like a fox.

"Of course, Schlenk had some input in the hiring. Haven't you heard? I've blessed my DOBO with the ability to actually hire people without my input. Ya know, since I'm soooo awesome. Lookit me, lookit me ..." - Tony Ressler
jayu70
RealGM

Post#72 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:48 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

NBA.com -- February 2018

"Of course, Schlenk had some input in the hiring. Haven't you heard? I've blessed my DOBO with the ability to actually hire people without my input. Ya know, since I'm soooo awesome. Lookit me, lookit me ..." - Tony Ressler

Malik Rose was appointed GM of the GL by BudCox, so I would assume he had a hand in selecting the GL coach.
I wonder if he might be put too by Schlenk. Of the big club is changing coaches and system the GL might 8-)
kg01
General Manager

Post#73 » by kg01 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:12 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

NBA.com -- February 2018

Malik Rose was appointed GM of the GL by BudCox, so I would assume he had a hand in selecting the GL coach.
I wonder if he might be put too by Schlenk. Of the big club is changing coaches and system the GL might 8-)

Well, to be fair, Schlenk did stay at a Holiday Inn Express -er- worked for the Warriors so he's got it allll figured out. If he wants the GL Exec of the year gone, so he can get 'his' guy in, it must be part of a great plan, no? 8-)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#74 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter

So, the above is definitely an occurrence that could effect our own coaching search.

1. If Stotts becomes available, Bud is no longer the unquestioned best option on the market.
2. If Stotts is canned, either his assistant coach Nate Tibetts would be released or become an option to replace Stotts.
3. Budenholzer would be a perfect fit as HC for the Blazers.

Portland has the #24 pick in the draft. I'd jump at the opportunity to swap our #30 for their #24 while getting their hot young assistant (who, very notably, has NOT been mentioned for any open coaching positions).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#75 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:27 pm

An option at Head Coach I'd hate, but seems plausible:

NBA coaching candidates: Perfect hires for the Knicks, Suns, Bucks and every other opening

Hawks: Jarron Collins

If Budenholzer goes...elsewhere, there will be a hole to fill in Atlanta, where general manager Travis Schlenk is quietly executing a rebuild centered around Taurean Prince, John Collins and whoever the Hawks select in this June's draft. (They have three picks in the first round, including the one they earned by going 24-58 this season, the worst mark in the East.) Teams in this stage usually don't go after big-name candidates, so I'm throwing Collins' name out there as a representative of all the up-and-coming assistant coaches hoping to get their first shot at running their own team.

Collins has a history with Schlenk, having spent the last four years working under Steve Kerr for the Golden State Warriors. (Schlenk was the Warriors' assistant general manager before the Hawks hired him a year ago.) His playing experience is an asset, but the same could be said for some other assistant coaches who have spent even longer on the sideline, including Hawks assistant coach Darvin Ham.
CBS Sports

Kevin Arnovitz wrote:Warriors assistant Jarron Collins checks a ton of boxes. He's both a former player who was the consummate locker room guy, but also a full-on geek who grinded as a scout before landing on the bench. He is at heart a basketball intellectual who loves creative problem-solving.
ESPN

:sour:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#76 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:16 am

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#77 » by ATL Boy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:21 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I just came to post this. You're on your game tonight Jayu, lightning quick fingers.

Give me Nate Tibbetts!
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#78 » by azuresou1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 am

We should just hire Becky Hammon. Another Pop disciple, extremely well respected around the league, and do you know overqualified you must be to make it as a female coach in men's pro sports?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#79 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:26 am

azuresou1 wrote:We should just hire Becky Hammon. Another Pop disciple, extremely well respected around the league, and do you know overqualified you must be to make it as a female coach in men's pro sports?

If I was Becky, I would stay far from this fuster cluck as my first job. Stable ownership for her.
kg01
General Manager

Post#80 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 am

jayu70 wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:We should just hire Becky Hammon. Another Pop disciple, extre1mely well respected around the league, and do you know overqualified you must be to make it as a female coach in men's pro sports?

If I was Becky, I would stay far from this fuster cluck as my first job. Stable ownership for her.

Becky is the only name that would make me happy. Why? ... reasons. :)

Return to Atlanta Hawks