Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward 

Post#141 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 7, 2018 12:08 am

Assistant Lloyd Pierce on Hawks interview: it's 'a testament' to what Sixers have done

If things go as he hopes, Lloyd Pierce will become the Atlanta Hawks’ next head coach.

The 76ers assistant coach interviewed for the Hawks’ vacant head-coaching job on Friday. Pierce has known Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk for a long time. Schlenk was the assistant general manager for Golden State when Pierce was an assistant coach there during the 2010-11 season.

“I don’t know. We’ll just let it fly,” Pierce said of his chances to get the job.

“They’ve got a lot of young players on the roster,” Pierce said. “It’s a similar situation to what we’ve been here in the last five years. So that probably had something to do with” the Hawks interest.

Pierce, who runs the Sixers’ defense, has been on the coaching staff since the fall of 2013. The Sixers won a combined 47 games during his first three seasons. That includes the team’s 10-72 campaign in 2015-16. Last season, the Sixers went 28-54 before improving to 52-30 this season.

...his experience in Philly is perhaps the most impressive thing on his resume.

“It’s a statement, a testament to this program and what we’ve done here,” Pierce said of being noticed. “Obviously, people are paying attention to the ‘now.’ But what we’ve had to go through to get to this point, people recognize that throughout the industry.​”
Philadelphia Inquirer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#142 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 7, 2018 12:16 am

Wojnarowski also notes that Pierce “has emerged as a frontrunner” for the position, though he notes that Blazers assistant Nate Tibbetts also met with ownership during the process.
Peachtree Hoops
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#143 » by Spud2nique » Mon May 7, 2018 7:40 am

Spud2nique wrote:Thoughts?
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Front runner.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/249786/Lloyd-Pierce-Emerges-As-Frontrunner-For-Hawks-Job
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Post#144 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon May 7, 2018 2:26 pm

Pierce is exactly the sort of guy Atlanta should be targeting.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#145 » by Spud2nique » Mon May 7, 2018 2:35 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Pierce is exactly the sort of guy Atlanta should be targeting.

Why is that? Can you give us a little info on the guy since you guys have him on the coaching staff? What are his strengths/weaknesses?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#146 » by kg01 » Mon May 7, 2018 2:57 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Pierce is exactly the sort of guy Atlanta should be targeting.

Him moreso than Larranaga?

Like @spud said, can you give us some insight.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#147 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 7, 2018 3:16 pm

kg01 wrote:Him moreso than Larranaga?

kg, have you come around on Larranaga?

I remember last Fall you seemed pretty low on him, referencing his failed bid for the GT coaching gig.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#148 » by the_process » Mon May 7, 2018 4:08 pm

With the news that Pierce is a front runner for your job, just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that Pierce is under contract, so it will require a swap of 3 for 10 for us to let him go.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#149 » by jayu70 » Mon May 7, 2018 4:12 pm

the_process wrote:With the news that Pierce is a front runner for your job, just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that Pierce is under contract, so it will require a swap of 3 for 10 for us to let him go.

I know it's meant to be sarcastic because of one poster but that's not how it works with ASSISTANT coaches. As long as it's not a lateral move but an upward move from assistant to Head Coach.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,723

Post#150 » by the_process » Mon May 7, 2018 4:21 pm

jayu70 wrote:
the_process wrote:With the news that Pierce is a front runner for your job, just wanted to take the opportunity to point out that Pierce is under contract, so it will require a swap of 3 for 10 for us to let him go.

I know it's meant to be sarcastic because of one poster but that's not how it works with ASSISTANT coaches. As long as it's not a lateral move but an upward move from assistant to Head Coach.

Green font is sarcasm. It’s not serious.
kg01
General Manager

Post#151 » by kg01 » Mon May 7, 2018 4:29 pm

:lol: And I'm sure jayu knew it was in jest but I bet some folks weren't sure compensation wasn't required.

And furtha .. I say, furthermore (Foghorn Leghorn voice), don't be comin' over here and not givin' us the lowdown on this guy. Any impressions that'd help us get a better sense for him as a coach?
kg01
General Manager

Post#152 » by kg01 » Mon May 7, 2018 4:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Him moreso than Larranaga?

kg, have you come around on Larranaga?

I remember last Fall you seemed pretty low on him, referencing his failed bid for the GT coaching gig.

Give me Buttenholzer over Larranaga any day. The tone of the prior discussion was certain folks getting all hot 'n bothered about assistants while our HC still had a job.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#153 » by jayu70 » Mon May 7, 2018 4:33 pm

the_process wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Green font is sarcasm. It’s not serious.

I stated as such.
Just elaborated in case someone else missed the sarcasm.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#154 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon May 7, 2018 4:36 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

Why is that? Can you give us a little info on the guy since you guys have him on the coaching staff? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

Judging an assistant coach is a bit complicated. But he gets lumped in charge of Phily's defense and also player development systems. You would be hard pressed to find more than 5 guys who have done better in that sort of role, and the context was not one with a Horford and vets that know ow to buy in but rather a blank slate which makes it more impressive.

There is an old Pablo Torre (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning I did find the link but din't check that it is what I'm thinking of) that talked about ow they rated every player in 25 or so categories from 1-10 for effort every single practice. After the MCW trade it cameout that he was always in the bottom in most categories, which played a part in why they decided to sell his upside. Getting those sort of systems in plave might have been all Hinkie, might have been part Brown from SAS systems, and might have some Pierce credit.

But regardless of who thought up what, Pierce has been around implementing and watching what works and what doesn't for a really dramatic tank and rebuild from the ground up. Imo that is what Atlanta needs, I wouldn't worry about anything but gutting and getting franchise player(s); and then creating a system to turn them {when possible} into Kawhi's. And to turn the roster flotsam into Covington's and McConnell's.

Boston's had a couple guys in charge of their defense who have each put up great records in that regard. I'm not sure what is the new guy ever, and what is the existing system is great don't mess with it. And with any assistant, they might be great at it and then suck at being a head coach.

But direction wise, this is the sort of move I would have Atlanta doing if I controlled them. And it implies that the ownership is taking the long view that increases the chances of ultimately getting successful.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#155 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon May 7, 2018 4:36 pm

The Bud situation is a tough pill to swallow for most Hawks fans and Ressler's wallet. Hope they can strike lightning in a bottle with these freshmen coaches. At least these young guys will let the kids run.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#156 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 8, 2018 11:23 am

Isn't today Tuesday?

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#157 » by ATL Boy » Tue May 8, 2018 4:09 pm

Whoever the next coach is will get my full support. This isn't an easy situation to deal with (a terrible squad with an overbearing owner and a micromanaging GM), especially for a young guy in his first coaching gig. I'd love the fanbase to get fully behind whoever we hire.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#158 » by Robo_Claw » Tue May 8, 2018 4:38 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Judging an assistant coach is a bit complicated. But he gets lumped in charge of Phily's defense and also player development systems. You would be hard pressed to find more than 5 guys who have done better in that sort of role, and the context was not one with a Horford and vets that know ow to buy in but rather a blank slate which makes it more impressive.

There is an old Pablo Torre (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/12318808/the-philadelphia-76ers-radical-guide-winning I did find the link but din't check that it is what I'm thinking of) that talked about ow they rated every player in 25 or so categories from 1-10 for effort every single practice. After the MCW trade it cameout that he was always in the bottom in most categories, which played a part in why they decided to sell his upside. Getting those sort of systems in plave might have been all Hinkie, might have been part Brown from SAS systems, and might have some Pierce credit.

But regardless of who thought up what, Pierce has been around implementing and watching what works and what doesn't for a really dramatic tank and rebuild from the ground up. Imo that is what Atlanta needs, I wouldn't worry about anything but gutting and getting franchise player(s); and then creating a system to turn them {when possible} into Kawhi's. And to turn the roster flotsam into Covington's and McConnell's.

Boston's had a couple guys in charge of their defense who have each put up great records in that regard. I'm not sure what is the new guy ever, and what is the existing system is great don't mess with it. And with any assistant, they might be great at it and then suck at being a head coach.

But direction wise, this is the sort of move I would have Atlanta doing if I controlled them. And it implies that the ownership is taking the long view that increases the chances of ultimately getting successful.

Thanks for taking the time to post some useful info on Pierce, I am much more on board if his history is in player development.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#159 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 9, 2018 12:00 pm

Hawks have wasted too many seasons, need to get this hire right

...the Hawks are not going to hire a head coach with head coaching experience.

That’s OK. There’s nothing wrong or unusual about hiring a first-time head coach. But there are two things we can be certain of:

• 1. The Hawks would be further along in their franchise rebuild if Budenholzer didn’t waste everybody’s time for a year.

• 2. This will be the most important decision Schlenk makes.

If Schlenk hires the right coach and the coaching and personnel staff can be on the same page in evaluation and direction, enough of the right player choices will be made. Success filters down from the top.

The right coach leads to on court success. The right coach makes Atlanta a destination for free agents. The right coach can do for the Hawks what Quinn did for the Falcons and Kirby Smart did for Georgia.

There are three cornerstones to any pro sports franchise: owner, general manager, coach. Get those right, everything else falls into place.

Right now, everybody’s unproven.
myAJC
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#160 » by macd-gm » Wed May 9, 2018 2:19 pm

Ahh. Jeff Schultz chimes in with his bi-annual look at the NBA and the Hawks. What a genius. Pretty much everything he said there is wrong or a ridiculous oversimplification.

Return to Atlanta Hawks