Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Potential Coaching Options Moving Forward 

Post#201 » by kg01 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:34 pm

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
kg01 wrote:I'm well aware of what Price has been doing the past couple years. In what can only be described as a modern-day Shakespearean twist, this time it is you who haveth failed to comprehendeth what I hath written.

I said he hasn't "shown an ability to be more than a shooting coach". That doesn't mean he hasn't held a position higher than a shooting coach. Just wait ... let it sink in, you'll get it.

Um... hehe... pardon me, my friend but your exact words were...

Price is a shooting coach.

So yeah, I failed to catch the pass, but it was thrown out-of-bounds, so what did anyone expect???... :D

kg01 wrote:I say we just get another solid backup to compete with Trae. Keep Vince around to mentor him.

CLP, in his exit interview, mentioned he doesn't want one voice to spend too much time with any of the players because the message gets stale. I read that to mean we'll never have what you're suggesting, a "personal pg coach" for Trae.

Be honest, @sturt. All these words really warm your cockles, right? :wink:

Me, not a fan of spending roster slots on mentoring roles. That's why you have a coaching staff.

And lest I be misunderstood... though I realize the way I said what I did could be reasonably taken to mean "personal coach".... I'm not advocating for a personal coach, per se. I just want someone on the staff who is there and capable to give some specific, experienced advice.

And whether it's Price or Nash or anyone else, I think there are more than enough former PGs in the NBA and college coaching universe that could fit that role well. Nick Van Exel comes to mind, and if I gave it more thought, I'm sure I could generate a half-dozen well-regarded guys, at minimum.

Oh man. I've dived into the patented sturt vortex of symantical arguing. Geronimoooooo!!!!

I don't think Price should be anything more than a shooting coach despite the fact that he's held higher positions. Thus, to me, Price is a shooting coach.

Adding a coach with point guard experience is effectively hiring a personal coach for Trae. Either way you define or explain it, I'm saying it's not necessary. And on the player/mentor thing, pretty much everyone who's asked has said Carter has been a positive influence so I feel like it is indeed worth the bother (roster spot and salary) spent on it.

I'm not saying we need a Haslem sitting on the bench as a mascot. At least Carter can still contribute (some).

And, lastly, I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what 'cockles' are but I'm sure yours get warmer as word counts increase.
king01 :king:
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#202 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm

kg01 wrote:
_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:
kg01 wrote:I'm well aware of what Price has been doing the past couple years. In what can only be described as a modern-day Shakespearean twist, this time it is you who haveth failed to comprehendeth what I hath written.

I said he hasn't "shown an ability to be more than a shooting coach". That doesn't mean he hasn't held a position higher than a shooting coach. Just wait ... let it sink in, you'll get it.

Um... hehe... pardon me, my friend but your exact words were...

Price is a shooting coach.

So yeah, I failed to catch the pass, but it was thrown out-of-bounds, so what did anyone expect???... :D

kg01 wrote:I say we just get another solid backup to compete with Trae. Keep Vince around to mentor him.

CLP, in his exit interview, mentioned he doesn't want one voice to spend too much time with any of the players because the message gets stale. I read that to mean we'll never have what you're suggesting, a "personal pg coach" for Trae.

Be honest, @sturt. All these words really warm your cockles, right? :wink:

Me, not a fan of spending roster slots on mentoring roles. That's why you have a coaching staff.

And lest I be misunderstood... though I realize the way I said what I did could be reasonably taken to mean "personal coach".... I'm not advocating for a personal coach, per se. I just want someone on the staff who is there and capable to give some specific, experienced advice.

And whether it's Price or Nash or anyone else, I think there are more than enough former PGs in the NBA and college coaching universe that could fit that role well. Nick Van Exel comes to mind, and if I gave it more thought, I'm sure I could generate a half-dozen well-regarded guys, at minimum.

Oh man. I've dived into the patented sturt vortex of symantical arguing. Geronimoooooo!!!!

Hey... whoa.... it's not my fault that words have meaning. :)

In that particular case, your words conveyed part of your knowledge about the guy. Only part. Charlotte not exactly being Duke or Kentucky, I was not inclined to grant the benefit of a doubt.

kg01 wrote:I don't think Price should be anything more than a shooting coach despite the fact that he's held higher positions. Thus, to me, Price is a shooting coach.

I don't pretend to know if he is only in his element in a specific shooting coach role. I haven't watched him coach to any degree. But since you have, I'll have to just take your word for it.

kg01 wrote:Adding a coach with point guard experience is effectively hiring a personal coach for Trae. Either way you define or explain it, I'm saying it's not necessary. And on the player/mentor thing, pretty much everyone who's asked has said Carter has been a positive influence so I feel like it is indeed worth the bother (roster spot and salary) spent on it.

I'm not saying we need a Haslem sitting on the bench as a mascot. At least Carter can still contribute (some).

Absolutely not.

Just because I hire a European coach doesn't mean his only value to the staff is to work with the Europeans.

And for this team at this juncture, Carter was a good option, in the same way that Elton Brand was when he was with us.

As a rule, though, your roster slots are too valuable to give to guys to mainly be mentors... again, that's what a coaching staff is for, and is the reason most staffs do, in fact, carry former players who legitimately stuck around the league for awhile.

kg01 wrote:And, lastly, I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what 'cockles' are but I'm sure yours get warmer as word counts increase.

In your case, a few additional words might have completed the first pass you attempted.... don't knock it. ;)
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#203 » by lethalweapon3 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 pm

Just weighing in to note that cockel in Serbian is Kokoskov. Maybe.

carry on!

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#204 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:31 pm

That helped. :)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#205 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Not so sure what to do with this tidbit:

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote:Sources: Knicks president angling for David Fizdale firing

Even before a startling news conference in the wake of a blowout loss to Cleveland on Sunday, New York Knicks president Steve Mills had started to lay the internal groundwork for the eventual dismissal of coach David Fizdale, league sources told ESPN.

Mills is selling owner James Dolan on a roster constructed to be highly competitive in the Eastern Conference, leaving Fizdale vulnerable to an ouster only weeks into the second season of a four-year contract that league sources say is worth $22 million.

Fizdale chose the Knicks over several other offers in 2018 -- including Atlanta, Charlotte and Phoenix -- under the assumption that he'd eventually coach Porzingis. Fizdale accepted responsibility for the team's struggles in his own postgame news conference Sunday night.

"I take the brunt of that responsibility because I am the head coach," Fizdale said. "I make these decisions -- what's happening on the court, what players play, who plays together, what plays we call the defensive system. That's on me."
ESPN
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#206 » by kg01 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Not so sure what to do with this tidbit:

Adrian Wojnarowski wrote:Sources: Knicks president angling for David Fizdale firing

Even before a startling news conference in the wake of a blowout loss to Cleveland on Sunday, New York Knicks president Steve Mills had started to lay the internal groundwork for the eventual dismissal of coach David Fizdale, league sources told ESPN.

Mills is selling owner James Dolan on a roster constructed to be highly competitive in the Eastern Conference, leaving Fizdale vulnerable to an ouster only weeks into the second season of a four-year contract that league sources say is worth $22 million.

Fizdale chose the Knicks over several other offers in 2018 -- including Atlanta, Charlotte and Phoenix -- under the assumption that he'd eventually coach Porzingis. Fizdale accepted responsibility for the team's struggles in his own postgame news conference Sunday night.

"I take the brunt of that responsibility because I am the head coach," Fizdale said. "I make these decisions -- what's happening on the court, what players play, who plays together, what plays we call the defensive system. That's on me."
ESPN

Yeah I don't recall him turning us down at any point. Probably another case, in a long line, of a "journalist" using words loosely because no one will call him on it.

Yes I'm aware this is Woj who everyone assumes is above criticism. :roll:
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#207 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Not so sure what to do with this tidbit:

ESPN

Yeah I don't recall him turning us down at any point. Probably another case, in a long line, of a "journalist" using words loosely because no one will call him on it.

Yes I'm aware this is Woj who everyone assumes is above criticism. :roll:

He was on the Hawks interview list, that's all I got.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#208 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 pm

This is the second prominent ESPN writer to link us to Fiz:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#209 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:This is the second prominent ESPN writer to link us to Fiz:

Read on Twitter

Who cares at this point. His loss our gain as he doesn't have a job now.
He probably would have started Jeremy Lin last year instead of Trae, Huerter would not have replaced Baze....need i go on.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#210 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:27 pm

jayu70 wrote:Who cares at this point. His loss our gain as he doesn't have a job now.

He probably would have started Jeremy Lin last year instead of Trae, Huerter would not have replaced Baze....need i go on.

:-?

I...care?

If Travis Schlenk's first choice to lead this rebuild was David Fizdale...that's kind of a big deal. If for no other reason than he could be an option down the line.

I'm pretty sure the plan was always to start Jeremy Lin last season.

Spoiler:
Chris Kirschner wrote:When he was originally signed, the thought was Lin, if he was fully healthy, would start and Young would come off the bench as he learned from a veteran point guard. Lin was healthy to start the season, but it was clear he was a step slow as he made his return back from injuries that caused him to miss significant time the past two seasons.

With Lin not 100 percent, that allowed the Hawks to hand the keys over to Young, and the team hasn’t looked back.

The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM

Post#211 » by jayu70 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Who cares at this point. His loss our gain as he doesn't have a job now.

:-?

I...care?

If Travis Schlenk's first choice to lead this rebuild was David Fizdale...that's kind of a big deal. If for no other reason than he could be an option down the line.

I'm pretty sure the plan was always to start Jeremy Lin last season.

Spoiler:
Chris Kirschner wrote:When he was originally signed, the thought was Lin, if he was fully healthy, would start and Young would come off the bench as he learned from a veteran point guard. Lin was healthy to start the season, but it was clear he was a step slow as he made his return back from injuries that caused him to miss significant time the past two seasons.

With Lin not 100 percent, that allowed the Hawks to hand the keys over to Young, and the team hasn’t looked back.

The Athletic

And I'm happy neither happened...the whole dodging a bullet saying.
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#212 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:38 pm

I thought this topic was revived to say Pierce should be gone. i’m thankful it wasn’t.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#213 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 7, 2020 3:22 pm

I have no idea what the story is here, but Kenny Atkinson immediately jumps to the top of my list as as a future coaching option.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#214 » by CP War Hawks » Sat Mar 7, 2020 9:56 pm

Honestly KA is the ideal coach for the Hawks, but I don't think they are ready to move on from Pierce...
jayu70
RealGM

Post#215 » by jayu70 » Sat Mar 7, 2020 10:00 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Honestly KA is the ideal coach for the Hawks, but I don't think they are ready to move on from Pierce...

And I don't see why they should be....Atkinson won 48 games his 1st 2 years with a more experienced roster.
Pierce is at 49 wins with 18 games to go. He's a work in progress just like our young players.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#216 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 am

An obvious candidate for us -- Trae has modeled his game after Nash...and is already as ball dominant as J Harden.

Mike D'Antoni, Houston Rockets

The fact that the Rockets and D'Antoni were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension last off-season shows that the organization has some ambivalence about committing to their coach long term beyond the current campaign. Similar to the D'Antoni-led Phoenix Suns teams of the mid-2000s, the Rockets have also been prolific -- and historic -- on the offensive end of the ball. And like those Suns teams, they have been unable to translate regular-season success into serious postseason success; neither team was able to advance past the conference finals.

Like Brown in Philadelphia, D'Antoni's future in Houston was likely going to hinge on how the Rockets performed in the 2020 postseason, and it still might if the season is ultimately resumed. A Finals run could motivate the organization to commit to D'Antoni. However, if the Rockets ultimately fall short -- again -- in the playoffs with their new and extreme small-ball attack, or the season is completely canceled, the two sides could part ways when D'Antoni's contract is up after the season. Unless the organization is convinced that the team can win at the highest level by emphasizing shooting and scoring while downplaying defense and rebounding, a split might be the best option.
CBS Sports
jayu70
RealGM

Post#217 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:An obvious candidate for us -- Trae has modeled his game after Nash...and is already as ball dominant as J Harden.

The fact that the Rockets and D'Antoni were unable to come to an agreement on a contract extension last off-season shows that the organization has some ambivalence about committing to their coach long term beyond the current campaign. Similar to the D'Antoni-led Phoenix Suns teams of the mid-2000s, the Rockets have also been prolific -- and historic -- on the offensive end of the ball. And like those Suns teams, they have been unable to translate regular-season success into serious postseason success; neither team was able to advance past the conference finals.

Like Brown in Philadelphia, D'Antoni's future in Houston was likely going to hinge on how the Rockets performed in the 2020 postseason, and it still might if the season is ultimately resumed. A Finals run could motivate the organization to commit to D'Antoni. However, if the Rockets ultimately fall short -- again -- in the playoffs with their new and extreme small-ball attack, or the season is completely canceled, the two sides could part ways when D'Antoni's contract is up after the season. Unless the organization is convinced that the team can win at the highest level by emphasizing shooting and scoring while downplaying defense and rebounding, a split might be the best option.
CBS Sports

You think our already putrid defense would get better under D'Antoni?
He'd have no use for Capela who we just took off his hands in Houston. Lots of JC at Center and small ball run and gun. We've seen his success or not.
Pass.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#218 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:08 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:An obvious candidate for us -- Trae has modeled his game after Nash...and is already as ball dominant as J Harden.

CBS Sports

He'd have no use for Capela who we just took off his hands in Houston. Lots of JC at Center and small ball run and gun. We've seen his success or not.

Pass.

Jayu!!! Thank goodness you're here!

I completely disagree with you, but it's good to hear another voice in these parts.

I've seen Mike D'Antoni take 2 different franchises to the Conference Finals. I've seen him oversee 2 players winning MVP.

That's easily better than anything our franchise has offered over the last 40+ years.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#219 » by jayu70 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

CBS Sports

Pass.

Jayu!!! Thank goodness you're here!

I completely disagree with you, but it's good to hear another voice in these parts.

I've seen Mike D'Antoni take 2 different franchises to the Conference Finals. I've seen him oversee 2 players winning MVP.

That's easily better than anything our franchise has offered over the last 40+ years.

I'm here :lol: . Just not posting much.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#220 » by Spud2nique » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:30 pm

CBS Sports

I actually mentioned this in a part of town that you’ve never visited a few months back. I like D’Antoni with our personnel. He’s the only coach out there. Actually I have two guys ahead of Dantoni and that’s Sam Mitchell (wanted him before we got Bud a while back) and Mark Jackson.

Return to Atlanta Hawks