ImageImage

Are Hawks ready to listen to offers for Schroder?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Are Hawks ready to listen to offers for Schroder? 

Post#121 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Again, you're reaching, Stretch Armstrong. :)

Time will tell (.... all of you that I'm a genius.)
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#122 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:If he trades out of the top 3 i'll freak out.

Let's be honest, you're prone to freaking out as it is.

Need we remind you of how you reacted when you got that talking Sponge Bob doll ...

:P

So I put up a gif of MacD getting slapped on an airplane for freaking out and get nothing...

Man, y’all lack of movie knowledge and appreciation scares me... :roll:
kg01
General Manager

Post#123 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:If he trades out of the top 3 i'll freak out.

Let's be honest, you're prone to freaking out as it is.

Need we remind you of how you reacted when you got that talking Sponge Bob doll ...

:P

So I put up a gif of MacD getting slapped on an airplane for freaking out and get nothing...

Man, y’all lack of movie knowledge and appreciation scares me... :roll:

kg01
General Manager

Post#124 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:28 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Again, it's not that he loves Dennis or anything. It's that I don't think they ever wanted to totally bottom-out.

Aaaaahhh..

Yeah, that's been hard for me to decipher regarding Travis, also.

He's certainly stated as much publicly and often.

But his moves have largely seemed counter to that, so....yeah.

kg01 wrote:I'm asking you...what has Schlenk done that leads you to believe we're trying to bottom out beyond this year? I'm not looking for rumors, I'm asking what has he actually done.

Ummmm....

Summer 2017 as a whole?

That weird LAC trade where J Crawford and Diamond Stone were dumped before training camp.

Dangling Dennis and Bazemore in trade talks.

I don't think he's building anything yet.

Feels more like he's still tearing down and acquiring assets. I do think that changes after he knows what position(s) he can address in the draft.

a. What was weird about the Crawford deal? We wanted to pick up a 1st and we did.
b. We don't know if anything was dangled. We (think we) know there were trade talks where Dennis and Baze could've been mentioned. That's true of every player in the league not named Lebr .. well, even he was allegedly shopped so what's your point?
c. I purposely phrased the question to include "beyond this season". He's clearly tearing things down right now but I contend there's nothing that's been done that suggests they want to continue to bottom out beyond this year.

Can I drop the mic yet or are you gonna come into the paint with some more-a that weak sauce? :P
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#125 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:41 pm

kg01 wrote:Can I drop the mic yet or are you gonna come into the paint with some more-a that weak sauce? :P

:-?

I don't know what more to tell you. The new architect has done/said everything to indicate he's rebuilding this thing entirely.

I haven't seen/heard anything to make me think he's focused on adding to the remains of Bud's failed roster.

As you said...time will tell.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Post#126 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Aaaaahhh..

Yeah, that's been hard for me to decipher regarding Travis, also.

He's certainly stated as much publicly and often.

But his moves have largely seemed counter to that, so....yeah.

kg01 wrote:I'm asking you...what has Schlenk done that leads you to believe we're trying to bottom out beyond this year? I'm not looking for rumors, I'm asking what has he actually done.

Ummmm....

Summer 2017 as a whole?

That weird LAC trade where J Crawford and Diamond Stone were dumped before training camp.

Feels more like he's still tearing down and acquiring assets. I do think that changes after he knows what position(s) he can address in the draft.

a. What was weird about the Crawford deal? We wanted to pick up a 1st and we did.
b. We don't know if anything was dangled. We (think we) know there were trade talks where Dennis and Baze could've been mentioned. That's true of every player in the league not named Lebr .. well, even he was allegedly shopped so what's your point?
c. I purposely phrased the question to include "beyond this season". He's clearly tearing things down right now but I contend there's nothing that's been done that suggests they want to continue to bottom out beyond this year.

Can I drop the mic yet or are you gonna come into the paint with some more-a that weak sauce? :P

Please, drop the mic and leave. There is too much reaching on this.
Not resigning Millsap was exactly what it was, to be where we are today, so bringing up Millsap is irrelevant. Timing Context matters
Not resigning THJr - maintaining financial flexibility (Schlenk)since we already had Baze.
Crawford deal - per Schlenk, it was about using our capspace to get a pick.
Schlenk - I'm not interested in a Philly style tank.
Do I think most of our players names came up in trade discussions at some point sure. The questions are who initiated the call, us or other teams? What was the ask for any player?
I would seriously GM Schlenk if he thought we had a franchise cornerstone so him saying that is straight fact. Doesn't mean there isn't value to the rest of the roster to put around said cornerstone.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#127 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:05 pm

If nobody else is going to ask I will...Jamaal, do you go by the name of Sturt by any chance in any other forums?

If you aren’t the same person...I think I know where you can grab some tea with a really nice guy..perhaps at a graduation of some kind...
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#128 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Ummmm....

Summer 2017 as a whole?

Not resigning Millsap was exactly what it was, to be where we are today, so bringing up Millsap is irrelevant. Timing Context matters
Not resigning THJr - maintaining financial flexibility (Schlenk)since we already had Baze.
Do I think most of our players names came up in trade discussions at some point sure. The questions are who initiated the call, us or other teams? What was the ask for any player?
I would seriously GM Schlenk if he thought we had a franchise cornerstone so him saying that is straight fact. Doesn't mean there isn't value to the rest of the roster to put around said cornerstone.

kg01
General Manager

Post#129 » by kg01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Ummmm....

Summer 2017 as a whole?

I mean, I hear what he's saying but at this point in time we don't know what this thing is going to shape into. At this point, my guy @jamammmmmmmliver is seeing Schlenk sneeze and saying, "Yup, he's got ebola."
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#130 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I mean, I hear what he's saying but at this point in time we don't know what this thing is going to shape into. At this point, my guy @jamammmmmmmliver is seeing Schlenk sneeze and saying, "Yup, he's got ebola."

To be fair though I treat people at work the same...you sneeze around me and we are probably not going to be friends lol..
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Spud2nique wrote:If nobody else is going to ask I will...Jamaal, do you go by the name of Sturt by any chance in any other forums?

If you aren’t the same person...I think I know where you can grab some tea with a really nice guy..perhaps at a graduation of some kind...

No.

But he's a former poster here as well.

I really think kg is just reluctant to embrace change.

His first post in this very thread reflects that.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#132 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:45 pm

I agree with both of you a bit. Does Schlenk mind keeping the players that aren’t his, sure. Would he trade them for better pieces, sure. I honestly don’t think it’s about his personal ego, I’m hoping it’s not. A GM should be graded based on what he has done to improve the state of the team from day 1 rather than being graded on which players he drafted himself.

I will say that I think Dennis is not our long term solution at the point guard position. Having said that, based on his performance and contracts it’s going to be awfully tough to get equal on court production value for him in a trade in my opinion.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#133 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:13 am

Atta boy, Dennis. Raise that trade value:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#134 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 6, 2018 2:06 am

Breaking Down Most Realistic Potential Trades of NBA Offseason

Dennis Schroder, PG, Atlanta Hawks

Most teams should be satisfied with their situation at point guard, and those that aren't have a good chance to remedy that during the 2018 NBA draft. In Jonathan Wasserman's latest mock draft for Bleacher Report, he had 10 players selected whose primary or secondary position falls at the 1. So unless you're a legitimate All-Star, finding a trade market is tough.

Dennis Schroder is not a legitimate All-Star.

The Atlanta Hawks should be looking to move on from the German floor general and his remaining salary (three more years at $15.5 million apiece) as they progress with their rebuild. Schroder can score points in bunches and set the table for teammates, but his lack of defensive progress and recent legal trouble are firm indications he's not going to serve as a centerpiece.
Bleacher Report
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#135 » by D21 » Fri Apr 6, 2018 12:37 pm

But his three years remaining at this salaries are great, and we don't know if he can't improve his game with better players around him and a year of non-tanking... If we don't draft a PG, I don't see him traded so easily
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#136 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 6, 2018 1:03 pm

^Yeah, word is there won't be much of a market for trading PGs this summer.

And Terry Rozier will likely be the most coveted trade target. So we might have DS here for a bit longer.

NOTE: If we keep all 4 draft picks, it seems likely that we'd select another PG this summer. I hope Dennis comports himself as well as Jeff Teague did when a 1st round selection was used to bring in his eventual successor.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,996

Post#137 » by HMFFL » Fri Apr 6, 2018 7:12 pm

I expect DS to be around for another two seasons as long as he doesn't have more off the court legal issues. His salary is friendly and we're far from being a playoff contender. It makes sense to keep him right now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#138 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 16, 2018 11:26 am

Read on Twitter

The Hawks have officially entered rebuild mode. The new front office, led by Travis Schlenk, wants to start over in Atlanta and it looks like it could be eyeing a Philadelphia-style "process." That process isn't sitting well with current Hawks guard Dennis Schroder.

If Schroder wants a trade, the Hawks might happily oblige because last season was a step backward for him in terms of growth.

The Hawks had a net rating of -6.6 when Schroder was on the floor in comparison to a net rating of -4.9 when he was off the floor. In terms of point differential, he was actively making an already bad Hawks team worse. He does this by playing a style that is very ball dominant and shooter heavy.

Schroder's usage rating increased to 30 percent last season, a career high. His efficiency numbers, on the other hand, took a dip when he went from taking 15 shots a game to 17. If Schroder is going to dominate the ball the way he did, then a true shooting percentage of 51 percent isn't going to cut it. He doesn't make up for his high volume of shots with 3-pointers, because he's a poor shooter from deep at 29 percent. Schroder has become an inefficient gunner that hurts Atlanta more than he helps.

To his credit, he turns the ball over far less now than he did earlier in his career. He does take advantage of assist opportunities. There is potential in him, but he needs to play in a way that's more helpful to his team.

Do they keep Schroder around and hope he shows improvement, or is it better for him and Atlanta if the two sides go their separate ways? That's a question the Hawks will have to answer this summer.
CBS Sports
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,489

Post#139 » by dms269 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am

The issue with Dennis is his trade value. He is not seen, by many teams, as a starting point guard upgrade. He makes too much for a team to have him sit on the bench as a 6th man. Right now what is the best case scenario of what we could get? A pick and eat a bad contract? Pure expirings?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#140 » by King Ken » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am

dms269 wrote:The issue with Dennis is his trade value. He is not seen, by many teams, as a starting point guard upgrade. He makes too much for a team to have him sit on the bench as a 6th man. Right now what is the best case scenario of what we could get? A pick and eat a bad contract? Pure expirings?

If you can't get his replacement, moving him makes no sense. I'll say flipping him for George Hill and the #8 pick makes the most sense. Something like that.

Return to Atlanta Hawks