ImageImage

Are Hawks ready to listen to offers for Schroder?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Re: Are Hawks ready to listen to offers for Schroder? 

Post#281 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 pm

This is the latest 'update' on Dennis' case:
The Hawks have been trying to trade Schroder for weeks, but haven’t found much of a market for him, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. Schroder’s poor 3-point shooting and atrocious defense last season hurt his trade value but not as much as his legal troubles, according to people with knowledge of how other teams view Schroder. 

Brookhaven Police arrested Schroder and three other men on misdemeanor battery charges in September. According to court records, the case was transferred to the DeKalb County District Attorney’s office in March with the recommendation that it be prosecuted as felony aggravated battery. The DeKalb DA has not made an announcement on any charges. 

Two people with knowledge of the case said Schroder and his lawyer discussed a settlement with the alleged victim on at least two separate occasions. Internally, Hawks officials have expressed confidence that Schroder won’t end up in jail. But other teams apparently aren’t so sure and thus are reluctant to give up much in a trade for Schroder. 

Schlenk likely will have a hard time finding a good deal for Schroder so long as his legal case is pending. Schlenk probably further decreased his leverage by acquiring Lin because now trade partners know that Schlenk must shed Schroder before the start of the season. Schlenk eventually may have to make a lopsided trade just to get rid of Schroder, like he did with Dwight Howard in summer 2017. 
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#282 » by macd-gm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:57 pm

jayu70 wrote:This is the latest 'update' on Dennis' case:
The Hawks have been trying to trade Schroder for weeks, but haven’t found much of a market for him, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. Schroder’s poor 3-point shooting and atrocious defense last season hurt his trade value but not as much as his legal troubles, according to people with knowledge of how other teams view Schroder. 

Brookhaven Police arrested Schroder and three other men on misdemeanor battery charges in September. According to court records, the case was transferred to the DeKalb County District Attorney’s office in March with the recommendation that it be prosecuted as felony aggravated battery. The DeKalb DA has not made an announcement on any charges. 

Two people with knowledge of the case said Schroder and his lawyer discussed a settlement with the alleged victim on at least two separate occasions. Internally, Hawks officials have expressed confidence that Schroder won’t end up in jail. But other teams apparently aren’t so sure and thus are reluctant to give up much in a trade for Schroder. 

Schlenk likely will have a hard time finding a good deal for Schroder so long as his legal case is pending. Schlenk probably further decreased his leverage by acquiring Lin because now trade partners know that Schlenk must shed Schroder before the start of the season. Schlenk eventually may have to make a lopsided trade just to get rid of Schroder, like he did with Dwight Howard in summer 2017. 

Ugh. What's lost in all of this is what a **** Dennis seems to be. Last year was a friggin disaster for Dennis personally and for the Hawks chances of getting anything of value for him in trade.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#283 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:56 am

RIP Nintendo DS...

Read on Twitter

Chris Mannix, senior writer for Yahoo! Sports: “Not to get lost in the 'Melo trade is the fact that Atlanta just gave away a 20-point, six-assist point guard in Schroder. Hawks clearly moving in a different direction, and GM Travis Schlenk was not a Schroder fan.”
The Oklahoman

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#284 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:09 pm

A year ago we had a 23 year old top 15 PG. Now he was dumped to absorb Melo who will be bought out..... Not a very good return.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#285 » by dms269 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:A year ago we had a 23 year old top 15 PG. Now he was dumped to absorb Melo who will be bought out..... Not a very good return.

A lot can happen in a year.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#286 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:07 pm

:-?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter

Post#287 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Say what you will about Bud but he's a smart guy. Dennis' lack of ability to deal with adversity maybe something that's holding him back a little. I think being around players like Russ and PG who are decidedly better than him will do wonders for Dennis.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#288 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 pm

^
Russ is a guy whose game DS can emulate.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#289 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:41 am

Looks like Dennis has gone back to his old ways and is putting up basically the same high efficiency number as when he was playing with Millsap and Horford and Korver. Good for Dennis. We should have never let him and Doncic go, but I wish him well in Oklahoma.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#290 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Epilogue:

Hawks on Schröder: ‘They got him out of here, and we haven’t looked back’

Dennis​ Schröder requested​ a trade​ from​ the Hawks​ this past​ summer because​ he wanted​ to​ be​ with a “winning-mentality organization.” He​ followed​ up​​ by saying he “just can’t go out there and try to lose.”

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Seven hours after his strong comments about his former team, the organization that is “trying to lose” proceeded to throttle Oklahoma City, the league’s best defense, in a 142-126 win. Atlanta’s 142 points are the most Oklahoma City has allowed in regulation this season.

The Hawks got the last laugh Tuesday night.

Schröder talked about how coming back to Atlanta was going to be emotional for him, but he was the one who escalated trade talks with the organization and wanted out.

“At least he didn’t hold back,” Kent Bazemore, the Hawks player who played with Schröder the longest, told The Athletic. “He’s not starting anymore, so, hey, I don’t know what to tell him. Dennis is a good player. I enjoyed playing with him. He’s a fearless competitor, but he does his own thing. I respect it.

“They got him out of here, and we haven’t looked back.”

Schröder is having his worst shooting season since his rookie season. He’s shooting 41 percent from the floor and has only started 10 games this season. When you look at Schröder’s advanced stats, his player efficiency rating, true shooting percentage and assist rate are the worst they’ve been since his rookie season.

He said he didn’t have any conversations with general manager Travis Schlenk before Atlanta shipped him off to Oklahoma City. Schröder said his only conversation with a key member of the organization was with head coach Lloyd Pierce and, as the former Hawks player said, “I knew what it was after that.”

After the Hawks traded for Trae Young in the draft, it was clear that Schröder’s time with the team was going to come to an end.

Several of the players who were on last year’s team have said on several occasions they believe team camaraderie is better this year. Schröder not being in the locker room is one of the reasons. He has been labeled as “selfish” by some of the people in the organization.
The Athletic
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#291 » by High 5 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:02 pm

I can't blame Dennis for wanting to get out of a tanking situation. It doesn't benefit him at all and it was clear he wasn't in Schlenk's future plans. Both sides are better off now.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#292 » by hawkmanreturns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:05 pm

^^^ This makes that win even sweeter. 8-)
macd-gm
Starter

Post#293 » by macd-gm » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:23 pm

Just a month or so ago someone said Trae has a long way to go before he's as good as Dennis. Does anyone still feel that way? I dont.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#294 » by Buzzard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:31 pm

Dennis wanted out and he got his wish. In fact, I think being one of the role players fits him better than being the leader of our young squad. In the end everything worked out for both.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#295 » by kg01 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Buzzard wrote:Dennis wanted out and he got his wish. In fact, I think being one of the role players fits him better than being the leader of our young squad. In the end everything worked out for both.

This is true. He seems to thrive in a reserve role. I'm happy for him.

Rayford was eating his lunch with both hands all game other than that stretch in the 3rd.
king01 :king:
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#296 » by Buzzard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:44 pm

kg01 wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Dennis wanted out and he got his wish. In fact, I think being one of the role players fits him better than being the leader of our young squad. In the end everything worked out for both.

This is true. He seems to thrive in a reserve role. I'm happy for him.

Rayford was eating his lunch with both hands all game other than that stretch in the 3rd.

Dennis is like lightening in a bottle. When he is on, he is great. When he is not, he is atrocious. As a role player, it is a lot easier to pull him and limit his minutes on those bad nights. I think OKC is a good fit for him.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams

Return to Atlanta Hawks