HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Re: Rebuild reality and doin it right 

Post#261 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:37 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Damn, I love this guy. This is wise and consistent.

(I do wonder if we even inquired about acquiring Porzingis, though.)

Read on Twitter

Based on what Dallas gave up in terms of picks (2 1sts) and what they got in terms of THJr and Lee (Hawks won't have any offseason capspace) - that's counter to Travis's point of using capspace for assets.

I think that may be an over simplification. Porzingis is the asset they used that cap space to acquire. On top of that, Lee is an expiring deal next year so the only longterm cap space limitation is THJr (my old favorite Hawk).
And teams are contacting Dallas about Barnes.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Nathan2331
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#262 » by Nathan2331 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 9:47 pm

Looks like I'm wrong, Cuban apparently said on radio the Mavs will be giving KP a max deal come July 1st. Good luck with that.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#263 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:23 pm

Nathan2331 wrote:Looks like I'm wrong, Cuban apparently said on radio the Mavs will be giving KP a max deal come July 1st. Good luck with that.

You don't make the trade unless you believe in him. This was expected to me. He was a no brainer max contract before the injury.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#264 » by peoriabird » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:37 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:Looks like I'm wrong, Cuban apparently said on radio the Mavs will be giving KP a max deal come July 1st. Good luck with that.

You don't make the trade unless you believe in him. This was expected to me. He was a no brainer max contract before the injury.

Maybe should hope that pick doesn't convert until it has the potential to be the #1 pick since KP will have probably play on 60 more games in his career. 8-)
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#265 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:52 pm

Last 25 or so games Hawks led mostly by Trae / Collins / Heurter have played about .500 dramatically affecting the rebuild curve. Surprising and interesting. Hawks should really be ready for a big FA after next season and the rebuild will be over. Hawks will be a seed season after next... maybe even next
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#266 » by macd-gm » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:58 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Last 25 or so games Hawks led mostly by Trae / Collins / Heurter have played about .500 dramatically affecting the rebuild curve. Surprising and interesting. Hawks should really be ready for a big FA after next season and the rebuild will be over. Hawks will be a seed season after next... maybe even next

I'd be very surprised if we aren't fighting for a playoff spot next year. We have to improve a lot of D though.

But the biggest reason is how many East teams will be any good next year. There's the top 5: bucks, raps, celts, indy, sixers.

No one else in the conference is on an upward trajectory other than us and maybe the Nets. There is no chance that more than one or two of the rest of the dregs make a one season turn around.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#267 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:04 pm

TS could choose to unload last bad contracts this offseason. Plum and Baze are easy to move as expirings. Have room for two max maybe....? Problem is you got to be able to draw the BIG FA. Add a decent FA this off and try to entice the big signing in the next looks like a good plan.

I do think that TS should bring in a FA that can help carry the load. Our young guys want to win
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:13 pm

macd-gm wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:Last 25 or so games Hawks led mostly by Trae / Collins / Heurter have played about .500 dramatically affecting the rebuild curve. Surprising and interesting. Hawks should really be ready for a big FA after next season and the rebuild will be over. Hawks will be a seed season after next... maybe even next

I'd be very surprised if we aren't fighting for a playoff spot next year. We have to improve a lot of D though.

But the biggest reason is how many East teams will be any good next year. There's the top 5: bucks, raps, celts, indy, sixers.

No one else in the conference is on an upward trajectory other than us and maybe the Nets. There is no chance that more than one or two of the rest of the dregs make a one season turn around.

I see us setting out next season with a goal of making the playoffs.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#269 » by Buzzard » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:14 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

I see us setting out next season with a goal of making the playoffs.

I agree with this. If we fail to make the playoffs next season it will not be for lack of trying. It will be interesting to see if Schlenk does it with all our youth; or adds a high priced FA to fill a roster gap.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#270 » by peoriabird » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:02 am

Markelle Fultz to the Hawks??? WTF? Bleacher even states that he has more upside than Trae or Huerter? I hate sports media!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819672-markelle-fultz-trade-rumors-hawks-magic-talking-with-76ers-before-deadline
Nathan2331
Sophomore

Post#271 » by Nathan2331 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:11 am

peoriabird wrote:Markelle Fultz to the Hawks??? WTF? Bleacher even states that he has more upside than Trae or Huerter? I hate sports media!!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2819672-markelle-fultz-trade-rumors-hawks-magic-talking-with-76ers-before-deadline
The article states his potential in the past tense. At this point nobody would rate Fultz above Trae or Huerter.

Anyways, I hope we get a deal done, it makes too much sense for both teams. Fultz as a 6th man (besides his shooting) is what you'd ideally want behind Trae. Someone with size that can play next to Trae at times without being a liability defensively. Grabs boards, can push the ball in transition and make plays. His shooting is obviously bad, but if the Lakers can play Lonzo 30 minutes a night, Fultz could get the same provided he's healthy. I can only speculate but I do believe a change of scenery would help him get his career back on track.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#272 » by peoriabird » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:16 am

Nathan2331 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:Markelle Fultz to the Hawks??? WTF? Bleacher even states that he has more upside than Trae or Huerter? I hate sports media!!

The article states his potential in the past tense. At this point nobody would rate Fultz above Trae or Huerter.

Anyways, I hope we get a deal done, it makes too much sense for both teams. Fultz as a 6th man (besides his shooting) is what you'd ideally want behind Trae. Someone with size that can play next to Trae at times without being a liability defensively. Grabs boards, can push the ball in transition and make plays. His shooting is obviously bad, but if the Lakers can play Lonzo 30 minutes a night, Fultz could get the same provided he's healthy. I can only speculate but I do believe a change of scenery would help him get his career back on track.

We already have Deandre Bembry on the team...We don't need 2 of them! :x
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#273 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:23 am

Nathan2331 wrote:

I don't mind taking a flyer but I'm not giving up much for him. If he can't get out of his own head that's a $1p mil hit next season. Lin and Min/Lal 2nd for Fultz, that's it
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#274 » by peoriabird » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:28 am

jayu70 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:

I don't mind taking a flyer but I'm not giving up much for him. If he can't get out of his own head that's a $1p mil hit next season. Lin and Min/Lal 2nd for Fultz, that's it

I would only offer up Lin...Forget giving draft picks for that bum!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#275 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:30 am

peoriabird wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:The article states his potential in the past tense. At this point nobody would rate Fultz above Trae or Huerter.

I would only offer up Lin...Forget giving draft picks for that bum!

:lol: .
A Philly fan actually thinks Prince and Huerter for Fultz and Bolden makes sense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nathan2331
Sophomore

Post#276 » by Nathan2331 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:41 am

jayu70 wrote:
Nathan2331 wrote:

100% I agree. Throw some protections on the second while we're at it. As far as I'm concerned, that trade is a slam dunk for the Sixers. Fultz value goes down everyday he's not playing for them and they'll need relief in the off-season if they have to sign two max contracts anyways.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#277 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:56 am

Fultz is a high risk, high reward guy. If you view him as trash like peoria you don't offer anything for him. I would not consider trading Huerter for him but if Schlenk believes in his talent then there is a deal where we give something of real value for him (like the OKC first or a protected first, etc.). This comes down to Schlenk's view on him. He carries nothing but huge red flags and great two year old scouting reports.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#278 » by peoriabird » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:00 am

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:Fultz is a high risk, high reward guy. If you view him as trash like peoria you don't offer anything for him. I would not consider trading Huerter for him but if Schlenk believes in his talent then there is a deal where we give something of real value for him (like the OKC first or a protected first, etc.). This comes down to Schlenk's view on him. He carries nothing but huge red flags and great two year old scouting reports.

You are a numbers guy and like to evaluate everyone based on past numbers. What do you think of the guy?
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:12 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:Fultz is a high risk, high reward guy. If you view him as trash like peoria you don't offer anything for him. I would not consider trading Huerter for him but if Schlenk believes in his talent then there is a deal where we give something of real value for him (like the OKC first or a protected first, etc.). This comes down to Schlenk's view on him. He carries nothing but huge red flags and great two year old scouting reports.

You are a numbers guy and like to evaluate everyone based on past numbers. What do you think of the guy?

I was high on him coming into the season. I put his numbers in the other thread but he was 14.2 points, 7.5 assists and 6.1 rebounds per 36 last season and put up the youngest triple double in NBA history.

Having seen him mentally check out this season makes him much less appealing because the risk seems so much higher than it did when he returned and had some success last year and then seemed to have a good summer with his shooting coach. Coming into the year I think it would have taken a prime asset to get him. Now it seems like it won't have to be something we really care about. It comes down to whether Schlenk still sees it with him or not.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#280 » by hawks_fan25 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 1:48 pm

Who are our top targets this year in free agency? I love Klay and Boogie would be great, but I don't think either will come to Atl and they will both have plenty of massive offers. Middleton? Tobias? I just don't know which center out there would make us better. I've been talked out of Vucevic. I believe we are going for the playoffs next year and we have a chunk of change to spend the next couple of years.

Prince is actually starting to look like a starter, that injury was actually a good thing for him to sit back and understand what his role should be. I'd much rather have Dedmon than Len as our backup, but if we can't find a center upgrade on a reasonable deal then we should try to resign Dedmon. Len/Plumlee are gone after next year, so Dedmon could be the primary backup after that.

I'm sure one of the two firsts this year will be an immediate rotation guy and the other will be more of a development piece on a playoff team. The luxury of not being good enough this year is that all three of our firsts are developing on the court and making drastic improvements.

Thoughts on how we fill out the team this offseason?

Return to Atlanta Hawks