Rebuild reality and doin it right

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Re: Rebuild reality and doin it right 

Post#421 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:42 pm

jayu70 wrote:
hawks_fan25 wrote:What do the Hawks do this summer? Looks like we will have a solid lottery pick and hopefully a couple of SRPs if we can move some players in the next couple of days. Has Parker played his last game with us? Will he take the player option for next year? I'd actually like to see us sign Teague for a similar contract as Parker signed this year. I also think Goodwin has done enough to warrant a 2yr league minimum offer from us.

That would put us at:
Young, Teague, Goodwin
Huerter, Reddish
Hunter
Collins, Parker
Capela, Fernando

Our FRP could play a role and I also wouldn't mind offering Len another 2yr deal in the $4mil per range. He's a solid backup center. That would still leave us with $50m to spend and we could go after someone like Ingram and take looks at bringing KCP back to Georgia or a role player like Hollis-Jefferson.

We need shooters. Bertans, Joe Harris.

Forgot Montrezl Harrell too.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#422 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 9:41 am

I would like to see the Hawks take the pressure off for the rest of the season. Absolutely no need to rush Trae back. He's been fighting ankle troubles for a while now and coming back too soon. His beautiful stats this year are losing stats. Let him rest until he's 100% healthy and strong enough to go. Then limit his mins. Same goes for Capela. Hunter needs to step back the mins too. He's gassed.

At this point the rest of the season should be viewed as an extended practice with the goal of beginning next season ready to play winning Bball
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#423 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 10:26 am

Like to see TS hook up Davis Bertans on a multi-year deal and maybe Dragic on a one year. We got 8 signed for next year. Add these two and a pick or two and only need a couple minimums to fill out the roster
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#424 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:29 pm

jayu70 wrote:We need shooters. Bertans, Joe Harris.

I like the idea of gaining of either of these guys...but the cost may be too high.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#425 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:36 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:We need shooters. Bertans, Joe Harris.

I like the idea of gaining of either of these guys...but the cost may be too high.

I'd prefer Bertans, I'd be ok with 3yr/$12-15 per for Bertans. You think that's too high?
Before the Capela trade, Montrzl peaked my interest but keep hearing his price tag will be $20 mil????? Now that's too rich...particularly because he's too similar to all of our other bigs now.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#426 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Feb 8, 2020 2:40 pm

Will Clint Capela Speed Up the Hawks’ Rebuild or Complicate It?

Atlanta made a bold move to acquire the former Rockets big man before the trade deadline, but the traditional center could prove to be an awkward fit if everything doesn’t go as planned

Bringing Clint Capela into the fold to screen, dive, dunk, and swat could mean the expected completion date of the Hawks’ slow-and-steady rebuilding project is about to move up slightly. It also raises some questions about whether a team that’s been building very intentionally for the past two and a half years is still cool with sticking to the same blueprint.

The deal landed a lot of faces in new places, with Atlanta coming away with Capela—a spring-heeled 25-year-old rim runner and rim protector who, in keeping with Schlenk’s philosophy of assembling carefully curated pieces to surround Young, seems like a hand-in-glove fit for the Hawks’ needs.

[Capela] was far and away James Harden’s favorite target for lobs, pocket passes, dump-offs, and dimes during his tenure in Houston; one imagines him quickly developing a productive partnership with a similarly inventive creator in Young...As central as Capela figures to be as a pick-and-roll hub, his impact might be felt even more acutely on the defensive end, where the Hawks have been dreadful all season.

Dropping Capela into Atlanta’s ecosystem, then, should help amplify Atlanta’s primary strength (the pick-and-roll playmaking of Young and the potency of the offense it generates) and address its main weakness; namely, the persistent inability to stop anyone from getting free layups on them.

The hope is that Capela will hit the ground running; that Collins will become a viable spread 4 who can pivot back to the 5 when Clint sits, ensuring that Atlanta always has a high-end rim-running finisher on the court; that Young remains the straw that stirs the drink; and that Atlanta nudges north toward mediocrity rather than despair, restoring some of the positive vibes that cropped up late last season and led many of us (present company included) to wonder whether the precocious Hawks might be ahead of schedule. If all doesn’t go according to plan, though, we might start wondering something else: how long Young, now a bona fide All-Star, will be content with not getting the kind of help he feels he needs, and how long Pierce, Schlenk, and the rest of Atlanta’s brain trust will have to get it for him.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#427 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Any validity to this?

Which Young NBA Cores Are Built for Titles, and Which Are Built to Fall Apart?

Atlanta Hawks: Collapse

Trae Young is one of the most talented players in this entire discussion, and even if he's a wet paper bag on defense, his offense makes him a clear on-court positive. The Hawks fare 7.3 points better per 100 possessions with their All-Star point guard than without.

But this conversation is bigger than the 6'1" scoring guard, and that's where things get dicey for the Hawks.

John Collins seems like their second-best player, and yet his days in Atlanta could be numbered after the arrival of Clint Capela.

While the latter is a more reliable defender at the rim, the former's growth as a shooter—Collins had splashed 59 triples at a 40.1 percent clip before the 2019-20 season was suspended—might make a frontcourt change a lateral move. Or it may even prove a downgrade as the 25-year-old Capela should be much closer to his ceiling than the 22-year-old Collins.

The wings weren't great this season; Kevin Huerter's 11.5 player efficiency rating actually put him ahead of rookies Cam Reddish (9.0) and De'Andre Hunter (8.6). Any impatience from the decision-makers could be bad news for head coach Lloyd Pierce, who's just 49-100 so far.

Young's presence points Atlanta in the right direction, but there are too many unanswered questions to predict a championship ending to this rebuilding story.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#428 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:19 pm

The best and worst thing about Bleacher Report, they generate so much content they often contradict themselves from week to week.

Last week, we're on the verge of collapse. This week, we've got a chance at a future dynasty. :dontknow:

Ranking Top 5 NBA Teams with the Best Shot at a Future Dynasty

Atlanta Hawks

Focal Point: PG Trae Young (21)

Supporting Cast: PF John Collins (22), F Cam Reddish (20), G/F De'Andre Hunter (22), SG Kevin Huerter (21), C Clint Capela (25)

In terms of across-the-board potential, this may be the best group of young talent in the NBA.

Young is already an All-Star starter in his second season, ranking fourth in the league in scoring (29.6 points per game) and second in assists (9.3). He and Luka Doncic are the only players to rank in the top four for both categories.

At 21, he's already assisting on more than 45 percent of his teammates' baskets when on the floor, a number only Doncic and Muggsy Bogues have reached in their first two NBA seasons.

But while Young is the headliner, there's plenty to like around him.

Collins is already up to 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his third season, while his true shooting percentage of 65.9 percent is the third-highest among all players making at least one three-pointer per game. Huerter (6'7", 190 lbs) is similar in size to Klay Thompson (6'6", 215 lbs), and while he's nowhere near the same caliber of shooter, the second-year guard is a better passer who fits in well next to Young.

Hunter has the potential to develop into an elite multidimensional defender and competent scorer, while Reddish is a 6'8" athlete with undeniable star potential. Capela has yet to play a game for the Atlanta Hawks but is a double-double machine who should feast off lobs from Young.

While the record hasn't yet reflected the talent of this group (20-47), this could be the best team in the Eastern Conference in a few years.
Bleacher Report
jayu70
RealGM

Post#429 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The best and worst thing about Bleacher Report, they generate so much content they often contradict themselves from week to week.

Last week, we're on the verge of collapse. This week, we've got a chance at a future dynasty. :dontknow:

Ranking Top 5 NBA Teams with the Best Shot at a Future Dynasty

Atlanta Hawks

Focal Point: PG Trae Young (21)

Supporting Cast: PF John Collins (22), F Cam Reddish (20), G/F De'Andre Hunter (22), SG Kevin Huerter (21), C Clint Capela (25)

In terms of across-the-board potential, this may be the best group of young talent in the NBA.

Young is already an All-Star starter in his second season, ranking fourth in the league in scoring (29.6 points per game) and second in assists (9.3). He and Luka Doncic are the only players to rank in the top four for both categories.

At 21, he's already assisting on more than 45 percent of his teammates' baskets when on the floor, a number only Doncic and Muggsy Bogues have reached in their first two NBA seasons.

But while Young is the headliner, there's plenty to like around him.

Collins is already up to 21.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game in his third season, while his true shooting percentage of 65.9 percent is the third-highest among all players making at least one three-pointer per game. Huerter (6'7", 190 lbs) is similar in size to Klay Thompson (6'6", 215 lbs), and while he's nowhere near the same caliber of shooter, the second-year guard is a better passer who fits in well next to Young.

Hunter has the potential to develop into an elite multidimensional defender and competent scorer, while Reddish is a 6'8" athlete with undeniable star potential. Capela has yet to play a game for the Atlanta Hawks but is a double-double machine who should feast off lobs from Young.

While the record hasn't yet reflected the talent of this group (20-47), this could be the best team in the Eastern Conference in a few years.
Bleacher Report

Yep on content generator.
They also think trading Hunter, Reddish, Hueter and a 1st for Beal makes sense.
:noway:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#430 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:37 pm

Hopefully we see some improvement in this graphic sooner than later...

jayu70
RealGM

Post#431 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#432 » by Radioblacktive1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:23 am

Opinions on his take? I mostly pass on the proposed FAs, 2/3 of the trades are decent. The last one is a hell nah for me.

The only reason I wouldn’t trade for Smart is because I hate him and I’m not prepared to fall in love with him as a Hawk like I know I will.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#433 » by Spud2nique » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:Opinions on his take? I mostly pass on the proposed FAs, 2/3 of the trades are decent. The last one is a hell nah for me.

The only reason I wouldn’t trade for Smart is because I hate him and I’m not prepared to fall in love with him as a Hawk like I know I will.

Wtf? Get this clown of a Scrubs fan off my screen. He wants to retool his Warriors GTFO. He doesn’t know Hawks.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#434 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:11 pm

An excerpt from The Athletic:

John Hollinger wrote:...the Hawks’ primary motivation seems to be taking a giant step forward this season and making the playoffs. For me, that’s a secondary goal. It’s much more important that they make the right moves to establish a winning team for well beyond this season, even if they don’t win as many games this year.

• First and foremost, that means they have to nail the draft pick...this season will be their last chance to have a high lottery pick for several years, which means it’s the last chance to put another elite talent around the Young-Collins-Capela core. Whether that player is hugely successful as a rookie or not is completely secondary.

• Second, they have to convert the cap space into some kind of long-term asset, whether it is a good free agent in his 20s or a trade that brings in picks, prospects or players. That doesn’t necessarily need to happen this summer, but between the 2020 and 2021 free-agent markets, Atlanta has to get somebody good enough to be the third-best player on a quality team. Once Young gets his inevitable max extension next summer, the free-agent option goes away.

• The next most important thing is to make the right call on Collins -- Paying him is likely preferable to losing him.

• Next on the list is player development. Hunter, Huerter, Reddish and Goodwin all showed flashes this season, but the far more important question at this stage is not how good they are but rather how much better they can get.

• Finally, since it shouldn’t involve massive investments of cap or draft capital, they do need to be less cavalier about the glaring weaknesses on the roster...backup one and backup four still need addressing. They got absolutely destroyed any time Young checked out last year; that has to change and seems destined to, and doing so shouldn’t break the bank.

Those are five “important” things, so I’ll stop the checklist there, but you’ll notice that “make the playoffs” wasn’t anywhere on it. My No. 1 item, I still think it’s the draft pick...Nail the pick, and items two through five become a lot less important.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#435 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:39 am

Agree with the above but there are literally 3 available (kind of) FA that will be impact guys in the 20’s to invest in if we are spending. Ingram, Trez and FVV. Of the three you can’t forget Ingram as the Pels will match at all cost, that leaves FFV (Not a Schlenk type as far as build but Schlenk as far as heart) still very low chance. That leaves Trez. Most likely returns to LA but if not we should get in there.

Is it me or is it just our luck when we have the most cap space that the FA pool is weak, the trade market stinks as far as available pieces out there and we have a high pick in a so called “weak” draft. If the Lakers had the most cap space everybody would be a free agent.

Oh well, no excuses let’s get it.
Bluvelvet84
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#436 » by Bluvelvet84 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:10 pm

Do a Poison pill deal with Ingram. Make it real hard for them to justify.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#437 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:16 pm

Bluvelvet84 wrote:Do a Poison pill deal with Ingram. Make it real hard for them to justify.

From my recollection, the poison pill contract doesn't apply in this scenario where 2nd round picks were able to make these deals as RFA.

https://www.denverstiffs.com/2012/7/6/3141613/explaining-the-nba-poison-pill-contracts-of-omer-asik-others
jayu70
RealGM

Post#438 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#439 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:53 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

And I’ll add a decent amount of athleticism for Hunter. Plus he’s a guy that learns from his mistakes quickly. Good looking young prospect on our hands.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#440 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm going to throw out a hypothetical offseason to propose a line up for next season. I think that it's a plan that will fall into TS's plan. Playoffs? Better options?

Draft: Okoro or backup PG/SG like Hali. Developmental SRP. For my senario I'm gonna go Okoro
FA: Bertans/Teague/B. Portis: couple of 1 year deals and a good deal for the third

Capela / Dedman / Bruno
Collins / Portis
Hunter / Bertans / Okoro
Cam / Heurter
Trae / JT / Goodwin

Add SRP and look to absorb a bad 1 year deal for a future FRP.

Is this the plan? Is it a good plan? Playoff team?

I see an east EC playoff team leaving max cap for 21 and prioritizing core development

Return to Atlanta Hawks