Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: 2018 Free Agents 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

1 Free Agent Every NBA Team Should Already Be Thinking About

Atlanta Hawks: Jabari Parker (Restricted)

The Hawks have plenty of cap space. Other teams do not.

General manager Travis Schlenk appears to recognize as much. An unwillingness to take on salary in exchange for draft-pick compensation suggests they're hoping to be movers and shakers over the summer.

Teams grinding through early stages of a rebuild cannot shell out stacks of cash to household faces just because. They need to prioritize youngsters who fit their timeline, which lends itself to a unique dependence on the restricted free-agent market, where most pre-prime options lie.

Jabari Parker is that player for the Hawks. He's working his way back from a second ACL injury; the Milwaukee Bucks will struggle to keep him while avoiding the luxury tax.

Parker's cap hold alone ($20.3 million) vaults MIL beyond the projected $123 million threshold. He might sign for less, but they don't have a ton of breathing room below the tax without shedding salary elsewhere and have to think about new deals for Eric Bledsoe, Malcolm Brogdon (restricted) and Khris Middleton (player option) in 2019.

Factoring in a conservative $9 million for the Hawks' three first-round draft picks still gives them a clear path to more than $18 million of spending power. That number will blow past the $25 million mark if they renounce Malcolm Delaney and one of Dewayne Dedmon or Mike Muscala declines his player option, giving them the juice to sling an ambitious short- or long-term offer.

Fielding a league-average defense while playing both Parker and John Collins up front would be tough, but the Hawks have the perimeter self-starters in Kent Bazemore, DeAndre' Bembry and Taurean Prince to make it work. Plus, their offensive ceiling would be, to build off Michael Jordan's famous words, through the roof.
Bleacher Report
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#102 » by ATL Boy » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm here for Jabari Parker. We have the chance to pry him away fro the Bucks and add some talent in exchange for nothing but cap space... Would be a nice change of pace from losing talent for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#103 » by Geaux_Hawks » Thu Mar 1, 2018 2:44 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I'm here for Jabari Parker. We have the chance to pry him away fro the Bucks and add some talent in exchange for nothing but cap space... Would be a nice change of pace from losing talent for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Right there with you. Not only for your reasons, but the fact that he looks good these past few weeks. You can see the rust, but he's showing that offensive potential still.

He would certainly make drafting a guy like JJJ OR Bamba a good move if we ended up going that route before free agency starts. We could play big lineups with him, Prince, Collins, and drafted big.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#104 » by kg01 » Thu Mar 1, 2018 3:03 pm

Yeah, I'm with ya'll on Parker. Add to all that the fact that he could be had for under "market" value due to the injuries.

Big-time risk though. Somewhat mitigated by the fact that he's been effective without being a super-high flying guy so being relegated to a 'floor' game shouldn't adversely effect him as much as, for example, a guy like Lavine.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

2018 Free Agents 

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 4, 2018 4:06 pm

Damn, Orlando's front office is ridiculously bad...

Bring me Hezonja!!!!!

The Magic may be regretting their decision to decline a team option on Mario Hezonja for next season, writes Frank Urbina of HoopsHype. The 23-year-old forward was coming off two uninspiring seasons when the new management team opted in October not to lock him up for another year. He has since developed into a versatile weapon off the bench, averaging 13.0 points and 4.3 rebounds over his last 31 games. The Magic could have had him under contract for $6.9MM next season, but are now limited to offering a $5.2MM cap hold.
Hoops Rumors

...the few organizations that will have money to spend are organizations currently going through a rebuild, like the Chicago Bulls, Atlanta Hawks and Dallas Mavericks.

Would they not be tempted by the notion of adding another piece to their young cores at a relatively team-friendly price? Something resembling a two-year deal in the $18-20 million range?

One thing to consider is future cap holds for landing top picks in the draft.

Regardless, potential suitors only have to outbid Orlando’s cap hold of $5.2 million. So even with the prospect of signing the top guys in the draft, seeing Hezonja agree to a short-term deal at around twice the annual average salary of the most the Magic can offer would not be remotely surprising.
Hoopshype
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#106 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 8, 2018 8:26 pm

2018 NBA free agency: Who's going to sign LeBron James, plus 10 burning questions

Let's look at how some of the top players in the league could change places in July

Who will accept a Lou Williams-style discount?

Honestly, "discount" might not even be the right term here. The market is so different than it was a couple of summers ago, and there aren't a ton of teams that are going to have money to spend this summer. If you're Derrick Favors, J.J. Redick, Nerlens Noel, Avery Bradley, Trevor Ariza, Tyreke Evans or Wayne Ellington, it is hard to know how to set reasonable expectations.

What's up with Chris Paul and Clint Capela?

Another intriguing Rockets free agent: Clint Capela. The big man is having a dream season, and he hasn't even turned 23 yet. He's not a traditional max player, but could command that kind of deal in restricted free agency.

What the heck will happen with the restricted free agents?

This could be a story on its own. In addition to Capela, the likes of Aaron Gordon, Jabari Parker, Zach LaVine, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle, Jusuf Nurkic and Rodney Hood will all be looking for long-term deals on the restricted free agency market. How will teams evaluate Gordon's impressive individual production in the context of the Magic's awful season? Are the Bucks ready to commit to Parker when it's not clear he's a perfect fit next to Giannis Antetokounmpo? We could keep going down that list asking questions.

Any under-the-radar names to watch?

Yes, here are 12 of them: Montrezl Harrell, Jerami Grant, Fred VanVleet, Patrick McCaw, Mario Hezonja, Seth Curry, Doug McDermott, David Nwaba, Dewayne Dedmon (player option), Aron Baynes, Joe Harris, Kyle Anderson (restricted).
CBS Sports

If we could manage to dump Bazemore or Dennis, we could completely revamp this squad over the summer. It's a big 'if' though.

If Capela leaves Houston, I could see Nerlens serving as a cheap replacement to great modest effect.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#107 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 8, 2018 10:07 pm

^
We have plenty of RFA options but we only blow it up for cap space if we have a solid foundation plan set. Maybe some inside information would be help too..lol

I want nothing to do with Nerlens.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#108 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 9, 2018 12:15 pm

Yeah, I think I'd only go after former lottery picks with high potential. Late bloomers who might still grow into something special.

Hezonja
Burke
J Randle
Exum

They don't have to be our cornerstones. But they could develop nicely into valuable trade pieces sooner than later.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:20 am

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:31 am

Four teams are expected to make a substantial offer to Julius Randle in free agency
https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-rumors-julius-randle-could-land-substantial-offers-mavs-nets-hawks-kings/

According to ESPN Insider Bobby Marks, the 6-foot-9 forward could garner from $12-14 million in annual salary, likely fetching up to $56 million over a four-year contract from teams other than the Lakers.

Among those interested in the cap space available are the Dallas Mavericks, the Brooklyn Nets, the Atlanta Hawks, and the Sacramento Kings.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

2018 Free Agents 

Post#111 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:56 am

^1. Nice find.

2. I really like the kid and have been impressed by his play this year.

3. I really wish we could have put together a modest trade package for Randle, so we could have obtained his Bird Rights.

This pursuit only seems likely if we don't draft Ayton (or JJJ), right?
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#112 » by MaceCase » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:38 am

Hawks are going to be mentioned amongst every secondary and tertiary free agent as a means for their agents to leverage a larger contract offer from elsewhere. The gift of having cap, the curse of being Atlanta.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#113 » by Spud2nique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:47 am

Wow...I’m also loving Randle and the way he attacks the rim. The way it’s looking right now, it looks like there a good chance that we are going to zag when everyone is zigging..(pels?). We have a good chance of being built Ford tough ...or at least tough inside and on the boards..possible combos:

Collins/Ayton
Collins/ Bagley
Collins/Bamba
Collins/JJJ
Collins/Randle

We are looking to go young and big. I like where we are headed..seems intriguing and encouraging.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#114 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:47 am

Hawks are in position...to draft any position. Schro, Collins and Prince are the only established starters. But, I wouldn't have a problem drafting a PG, SF or PF/C with Hawk's first pick.

It's going to be interesting. ayton / Doncic seem likely #1 and #2. Are the Hawks going to go offense with guys like Bagley, JJJ, Porter, Trae or is Bamba going to come in and secure the paint?

As for FAcy, the draft will likely bring in a big. Would that eliminate the signing of a Randle or Parker? Any of the top draft bigs plus Collins and Randle would be the Hawks front-court for the next few years.
kg01
General Manager

Post#115 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:05 pm

MaceCase wrote:Hawks are going to be mentioned amongst every secondary and tertiary free agent as a means for their agents to leverage a larger contract offer from elsewhere. The gift of having cap, the curse of being Atlanta.

Preach, Ma$e. 8-)

Can we collectively agree not to react to these "reports" regarding free agency the next few years.

Not many teams have capspace so when you see "insiders" listing teams with interest in signing guys looking for big money ... you'll probably see the same space-having teams over and over. :o

I've been impressed with Randle's play of late but my questions become:
(a) where has this been the last 3+ years and
(b) is this the player we're going to see through the duration of his upcoming deal or will we have to wait until 2 months before that deal ends to see this level of effort?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,932

Post#116 » by jayu70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:28 pm

kg01 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:Hawks are going to be mentioned amongst every secondary and tertiary free agent as a means for their agents to leverage a larger contract offer from elsewhere. The gift of having cap, the curse of being Atlanta.

Preach, Ma$e. 8-)

Can we collectively agree not to react to these "reports" regarding free agency the next few years.

Not many teams have capspace so when you see "insiders" listing teams with interest in signing guys looking for big money ... you'll probably see the same space-having teams over and over. :o

I've been impressed with Randle's play of late but my questions become:
(a) where has this been the last 3+ years and
(b) is this the player we're going to see through the duration of his upcoming deal or will we have to wait until 2 months before that deal ends to see this level of effort
?

(C) or is it contract year play?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#117 » by Spud2nique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Is there a difference between b and c?

-Richard
kg01
General Manager

Post#118 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:32 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Is there a difference between b and c?

-Richard

Why you gotta do burd like that? Save those types-a digs for turds like AHoleF. :)
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#119 » by Spud2nique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:37 pm

kg01 wrote:

-Richard

Why you gotta do burd like that? Save those types-a digs for turds like AHoleF. :)

:lol: She knows I kid... plus she’s not up yet...once she’s up she will hand out an Adam Silver like punishment I’m sure. A stern (see what I did there) talking to is needed!

:lol:
kg01
General Manager

Post#120 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

-Richard

:lol: She knows I kid... plus she’s not up yet...once she’s up she will hand out an Adam Silver like punishment I’m sure. A stern (see what I did there) talking to is needed!

:lol:

Yeah, what time zone is Themiscyra in? There's a reason she won't tell us what island she's from.

Return to Atlanta Hawks