ImageImage

Did the Hawks gain anything?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Re: Did the Hawks gain anything? 

Post#21 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 2:59 pm

MaceCase wrote:There is a need to have an organized system for the young players to play in plus vets to capably demonstrate it even if they are not the best at it. Otherwise you're looking at being Philly whom even after drafting not 1 but 2 studs are barely a .500 team. Bottoming out is only half the battle, having an environment where talent can fully develop and flourish is the 2nd half.

Think I've heard this one before. Hawks need to acquire top talent through the draft. Vets...OK, wins.. not for a year or two
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#22 » by MaceCase » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:06 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
MaceCase wrote:There is a need to have an organized system for the young players to play in plus vets to capably demonstrate it even if they are not the best at it. Otherwise you're looking at being Philly whom even after drafting not 1 but 2 studs are barely a .500 team. Bottoming out is only half the battle, having an environment where talent can fully develop and flourish is the 2nd half.

Think I've heard this one before. Hawks need to acquire top talent through the draft. Vets...OK, wins.. not for a year or two

Two issues:

1) Hawks are still in bottom of the league despite the vets.

2) Hawks are very much in play for "top talent" unless the assumption is that "talent" is singular of which having the worst record would still only give you a 25% chance of acquiring said singular talent.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#23 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 3:55 pm

Maybe the Hawks will make a play for Hood or McDermott to fill that Korver position in the offseason...
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#24 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 5:34 pm

The top pick would be nice
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#25 » by MaceCase » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:33 pm

The vets have allegedly dropped the Hawks' chances at the #1 overall from 25% to 22.4%.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#26 » by graymule » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:05 pm

8-)

Relax: After all that transpired and continues with buy outs, etc., the only real question is - -

Does our GM know what he's doing? There can only be three answers - You choose..

1- Yes

1- No

3- Maybe

Remember this. Hawks didn't lose any one that they didn't want to lose. The Hawks didn't take on any one
with a big, long term contract that they didn't really want.

As of now, Atlanta has a pretty good shot at getting one of the top three in the next draft. If they don't, if they
explode upward in the final part of the season, they still have three first round picks this summer and two next
summer. Our GM was either very good or very lucky or both in last summer's draft. What can he do this summer?
And, we have some second round picks also.

Please explain your position when you vote. Thanks..

:roll:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#27 » by Spud2nique » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:16 pm

graymule wrote:8-)

Relax: After all that transpired and continues with buy outs, etc., the only real question is - -

Does our GM know what he's doing? There can only be three answers - You choose..

1- Yes

1- No

3- Maybe

Remember this. Hawks didn't lose any one that they didn't want to lose. The Hawks didn't take on any one
with a big, long term contract that they didn't really want.

As of now, Atlanta has a pretty good shot at getting one of the top three in the next draft. If they don't, if they
explode upward in the final part of the season, they still have three first round picks this summer and two next
summer. Our GM was either very good or very lucky or both in last summer's draft. What can he do this summer?
And, we have some second round picks also.

Please explain your position when you vote. Thanks..

:roll:

1. Yes

Despite not getting any significant trades done it seems like he understands and will have us in a good position heading into the summer. Like you mentioned we have a great draft ahead of us and a couple great drafts behind us...I give Schlenk an A- at this point...A-/B+
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#28 » by the_process » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Are you guys disappointed you didn’t get anything for Belinelli or Ilyasova or Dedmon?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:02 pm

the_process wrote:Are you guys disappointed you didn’t get anything for Belinelli or Ilyasova or Dedmon?

Disappointed, sure. Ideally you want something but not at the expense of 2018 capspace for a measly 2nd. Rather keep the capspace and hopefully use it to get a 1st in the offseason. If the Hawks need a 2nd this draft that badly, rather just buy one for $3mil than take on $9 mil for a 2nd.
As the GM said, there was no pressure to have to do anything that didn't make financial sense.

Didn't seem as if Dedmon was on the market. I'm sure teams called but offered nothing the Hawks liked (I haven't heard any rumors). Most Hawks fans are OK having Dedmon come back if he wants to. Yeah, yeah, I know, contending team, money, elesewhere but I'd point out that contending teams can offer only the MLE, that's an easy enough offer for the Hawks to match.

Ersan had the ability to veto any trade, and was presented with several options, he declined. I get why, he loses his bird rights, he's probably tired of moving - he was traded 4 times in the past 2 years. Bucks, OKC, Philly, Atl. He's also not interested in a buy out.

The biggest dissapointed is more so the fear that Illyasova and Dedmon will help us win a couple games and ruin the tank particularly with expert tankers like the Kings and Suns breathing down our necks.
Coach Bud needs to manage their minutes accordingly. :D
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#30 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Not really. I didn't think we would get anything for Belli or any of them. All of the teams didn't really have cap space that needed him or expirings. The cap space is far more valuable. Especially if the Lakers want to trade Deng and they could attach Ingram or Lonzo which is valuable or maybe Westbrook or Lillard hits the market and we can move Dennis, future assets and take a bad contract to intice them.

The cap space is far more value even if aren't planning on being active during FA, the trade market can be popping.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#31 » by Spud2nique » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:40 pm

the_process wrote:Are you guys disappointed you didn’t get anything for Belinelli or Ilyasova or Dedmon?

No we are delighted! ...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Clarity:

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Clarity:

Read on Twitter

Translation: I want Klay or Draymond in 2019...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#34 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Translation: I want Klay or Draymond in 2019...

macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#35 » by macd-gm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 pm

Please let it be Klay. Draymond on 'not the Warriors' is what?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#36 » by kg01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

macd-gm wrote:Please let it be Klay. Draymond on 'not the Warriors' is what?

Klay is closer to Draymond in that regard than you think IMHO.

Can he really get his own shot absent what he's currently surrounded with? And, if he can't, what is he?

It's a question ...
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#37 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:24 pm

kg01 wrote:

Can he really get his own shot absent what he's currently surrounded with? And, if he can't, what is he?

It's a question ...

It is a question. But we've at least seen elite jump shooters thrive coming off screens all day.

From Reggie Miller to Ray Allen to Kyle Korver.

Klay in a Budenholzer offense would be something to behold.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#38 » by jayu70 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

It's a question ...

It is a question. But we've at least seen elite jump shooters thrive coming off screens all day.

I concur.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#39 » by kg01 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:32 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

It's a question ...

Heh, do the illegal screens come east with him? :wink:

Kidding, I'd be happy with us looking to acquire a dude like him via free agency.
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#40 » by Spud2nique » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:

It's a question ...

Heh, do the illegal screens come east with him? :wink:

Kidding, I'd be happy with us looking to acquire a dude like him via free agency.

First we would need him to do a full face and body wash...a full on cleanse to get the scrub (hehe) stank out...

Dang though...could face surgery be included in his contract ...he’s ur classic PUNCH face...with respect to Alan Anderson.

I just can’t get over his press conference in 2016 after the thunder went up 3-1 in the playoffs...he was like a flustered child...he was about to cry I swear...

It’s like getting a Bill Laimbeer or Rick Mahorn added to the Hawks back in the day...you love them because they are on ur team but otherwise uggghhh.

Return to Atlanta Hawks