2018 Summer League - it's Here!!!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: 2018 Summer League - it's Here!!! 

Post#241 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 8, 2018 7:20 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Missed the game, but looking at the box score, looks like we got to see a bit of the trae and John show. The numbers look nice, how were they on the court?

The looked like a group of guys finally building some chemistry:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#242 » by BlueSan » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:01 am

Spud2nique wrote:
BlueSan wrote:He did fine in general, when he is trying to create he is doing fine, but all and all I wouldnt be happy with all the forced shots he is making, trying to be Kobe / Curry

3/9 for 3 and only 3/11 field goals, not to mention the blocks he was getting etc...

I think he could really get the right energy going if he just slowed down a bit, passed the ball create, shot naturally instead of forcing the runs to the rim and threes from Mars.

So a quick glance at the assists and points may say good job but overall it aint exactly the whole truth he had an ok game could have been a good one.

Also just looking at the game, he makes some good stuff Atlanta comes close, then he forces stuff again misses a three gets blocked etc... Atlanta ends up losing by 2 points

Thanks for the Dallas Mavs assessment on how Trae is doing. Just finish in the 6th worse slot and give us the pick. Thanks. Assessment not needed.

Me being a Dallas fans has nothing to do with being a fan of basketball and watching NBA, summer league prospects who I watched in NCAA. Sure Trae young being a part of a trade makes it that much more interesting but I personally think the above post is a bit childish dont you think...
As for Trae in this last game.

He started well, getting people involved instead of going for the early bucket by force, but then started forcing it again with 3 pt attempts and passes which led into I think 3 TOs. Unfortunately played just 9 minutes and worst of all was the quad injury, hope he gets back on the floor quickly I heard it was not a serious one so thats good.
Anfernee Simons on the other hand showed a nice game btw
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#243 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:34 pm

Giving credit where it's due. I ignored him during my draft scouting, but Kevin Knox has looked really good early. It's only summer league and it means nothing really...but the kid seems like he could be a real draft steal for NYK.

Read on Twitter

Anonymous NBA Exec on 'Real Stud' Kevin Knox: 'He's F--king Really Good'

Hype is starting to build around New York Knicks rookie small forward Kevin Knox after he scored 22 points in 30 minutes against the Atlanta Hawks in his NBA Summer League debut Saturday.

Knox, the ninth overall pick in the 2018 draft, added eight rebounds, two assists, a steal and a block to lead the Knicks to a 91-89 victory.

"He's f--king really good," an NBA executive told Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic before the game. "A real stud."

The NBA exec explained to Vorkunov that Knox should shine more with the Knicks than he did with the Wildcats since he'll receive more on-ball opportunities.

"He's a freakish athlete," head coach David Fizdale said.

Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#244 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:35 pm

In lieu of getting one of the top big men in the top of the draft, I'm starting to wish we'd gambled on this kid at #34:

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#245 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 9, 2018 12:36 pm

Read on Twitter

John Collins, Hawks

There may not be an easier eye-test player in Vegas. Collins, not Trae Young, has been Atlanta’s main attraction in terms of highlight-level moments. It’s obvious he’s graduated beyond this level of play, but it's no less exciting to have him here. Collins turned in 30 and eight against the Knicks on Saturday, including four made threes, and followed it with 18 and nine against the Blazers on Sunday. Already an athletic, high-energy rebounder, he looks more explosive physically and far more versatile scoring the ball, particularly with his jump shot. He was nowhere near this comfortable releasing from distance a year ago, and now looks the part as an inside-out option and double double threat.

Collins’s surprisingly natural three-point range and increased ability to put the ball on the floor would appear to elevate whatever you may have perceived his ceiling to be as of last season. The Hawks’ rebuild may hinge on his chemistry with Trae Young, and how many pieces Atlanta can put around them to be successful. As it stands, Collins, who doesn’t turn 21 until September, might be the most promising piece on their roster.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really liked this kid last draft. If we'd passed on Collins at #19, this is one of the few guys I was willing to gamble on:

Read on Twitter

Harry Giles, Kings

Giles' re-emergence as a functional, healthy basketball player is one of the feel-good stories of Summer League. Once the No. 1 recruit in his high school class, two torn ACLs later, Giles is simply hoping to get his career started after falling to No. 20 in last year’s draft, then sitting out what would have been his entire rookie year as he continued to rehab. Several front office members I spoke with who caught glimpses of Giles during that time emphasized how far he’s come from a physical perspective. His 17-point, six-rebound, five-steal game against the Suns was particularly encouraging. Whether he’ll be able to stay healthy for a prolonged enough period of time to develop into a starting-caliber player is still questionable. But watching him operate effectively on the inside has been encouraging to say the least.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#246 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:21 pm

Up next for our Hawks SL team...da Bulls!!!

Featuring this guy guarding the paint:

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#247 » by macd-gm » Mon Jul 9, 2018 1:56 pm

So far I most disappointed in our coaching. I realize there is very little time and our guys are raw, but other teams seem to have put together a game plan. Not sure what the hell Hawks are doing.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#248 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 9, 2018 2:59 pm

macd-gm wrote:So far I most disappointed in our coaching. I realize there is very little time and our guys are raw, but other teams seem to have put together a game plan. Not sure what the hell Hawks are doing.

Game planning by coaches and roster building or lack there of by the GM. Portland had 7 guys on their roster who saw NBA time last season, smh.
That Landlock dude, smh. Could have brought back Tyler Cavanaugh and Isaiah Taylor.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#249 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Up next for our Hawks SL team...da Bulls!!!

Featuring this guy guarding the paint:

Read on Twitter

I hope Antonious Cleveland dunks on his head so hard his momma has to come clean his blood off the floor. Just for you Jamaal. It’s a man’s sport son and I don’t think you a man.-LaVar scouting report on Wendy Carter!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#250 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:26 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I hope Antonious Cleveland dunks on his head so hard his momma has to come clean his blood off the floor. Just for you Jamaal. It’s a man’s sport son and I don’t think you a man.-LaVar scouting report on Wendy Carter!

FWIW, I HAVE REALLY LIKED WHAT I've SEEN OF Antonius Cleveland.

He seems like a solid role player. (I'd have preferred to gamble on Mitchell Robinson at #34, but I digress.)
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#251 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 9, 2018 3:54 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I hope Antonious Cleveland dunks on his head so hard his momma has to come clean his blood off the floor. Just for you Jamaal. It’s a man’s sport son and I don’t think you a man.-LaVar scouting report on Wendy Carter!

FWIW, I HAVE REALLY LIKED WHAT I've SEEN OF Antonius Cleveland.

He seems like a solid role player. (I'd have preferred to gamble on Mitchell Robinson at #34, but I digress.)

Antonius looks super explosive with huge strides as he goes to the hoop. I’ve noticed his euro step to the basket starts at the free throw line, basically showing off his tremendous athleticism..ala Greek freak.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#252 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:57 am

Defensive highlights during summer league?!?

Crazy

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#253 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm

I thought JC Kid was shut down for Summer League...

how desperate is our PR department to include him in this graphic regardless.

Is Trae playing?

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#254 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I thought JC Kid was shut down for Summer League...

how desperate is our PR department to include him in this graphic regardless.

Is Trae playing?

Read on Twitter

He'd better not be playing. Is Dorsey playing?
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#255 » by DirtybirdGA » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:50 pm

Good win for the young uns, for the moment. May as well stay in Cox arena.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#256 » by ATL Boy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Trae Young REALLY needs to work on his finishing at the rim. The 3s are great, but if he doesn't improve at the rim his ceiling will be severely capped. 7-13 from 3 today, but 0-6 from inside the arc.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#257 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:08 am

ATL Boy wrote:Trae Young REALLY needs to work on his finishing at the rim. The 3s are great, but if he doesn't improve at the rim his ceiling will be severely capped. 7-13 from 3 today, but 0-6 from inside the arc.

A consistent floater would be a great tool for him to add to his game.
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#258 » by birdlives_ma » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:09 am

ATL Boy wrote:Trae Young REALLY needs to work on his finishing at the rim. The 3s are great, but if he doesn't improve at the rim his ceiling will be severely capped. 7-13 from 3 today, but 0-6 from inside the arc.

I was thinking the same thing. If he can hit even 2 of those, and maybe draw a foul on another, he's pushing 30 and this game isn't close. Other than that though, I loved what I saw. He looked way comfortable in the pick and roll, with those little hesitations on the way to the basket. They also mentioned that he'd talked to Steve Nash, and you could already see the difference in his playmaking along the baseline. I counted at least 7 blown wide open shots and dropped passes that he created that way.

Other observations:

-Kaba should come over and sign a 2-way contract. He needs work, but he's a force around the rim, and did a really nice job switching onto guards on D.
-Jaylen Adams made a good case for last string PG, or maybe a g-league contract. He got really hot in the 3rd to help blow the game open.
-Landale might be the worst player at summer league. He reminds me of the kid in the basketball-coaching episode of always sunny, who comes to practice in flip flops. "Just terrible... take a lap."
jayu70
RealGM

Post#259 » by jayu70 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 am

birdlives_ma wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. If he can hit even 2 of those, and maybe draw a foul on another, he's pushing 30 and this game isn't close. Other than that though, I loved what I saw. He looked way comfortable in the pick and roll, with those little hesitations on the way to the basket. They also mentioned that he'd talked to Steve Nash, and you could already see the difference in his playmaking along the baseline. I counted at least 7 blown wide open shots and dropped passes that he created that way.

Other observations:

-Kaba should come over and sign a 2-way contract. He needs work, but he's a force around the rim, and did a really nice job switching onto guards on D.
-Jaylen Adams made a good case for last string PG, or maybe a g-league contract. He got really hot in the 3rd to help blow the game open.
-Landale might be the worst player at summer league. He reminds me of the kid in the basketball-coaching episode of always sunny, who comes to practice in flip flops. "Just terrible... take a lap."

Jaylen Adams signed a two way GL contract already.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#260 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:19 am

Big night for Young Trae.

Inefficient, but effective playing his style of basketball.

Return to Atlanta Hawks