ImageImage

Breaking: Bud granted permission to talk to Suns

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Re: Breaking: Bud granted permission to talk to Suns 

Post#121 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I'm not saying he'll resign to play for someone else. I'm saying that's worst case scenario if he has no interest in coaching the Hawks and the Hawks won't let him go. I don't think it'll come to that because I do believe both parties are reasonable and they'll come to a resolution

It was discussed either this thread or another that a resignation is very unlikely. He'll give up 14 million and probably couldn't coach during the duration of the original deal.

There has to be stipulations to coaches quitting and going to a different team with years left on their contract. A guy like Carlisle would have probably did it long ago with many attractive offers.

I feel certain Schlenk had discussed to him a resignation would not be an option if he allowed him to interview elsewhere. The Hawks are hamstrung the most out of this ordeal and we need to be compensated.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#122 » by D21 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 am

lilfishi22 wrote:Bud seems to want to move on. Your team seems to want to move on...

But maybe the team is ready to move IF Bud goes to PHO and they get a compensation ;-)
With his roots, it's certainly his prefered destination, but if ATL front office was simply "ready to move on", why would they give him permissions for PHO, and not for other teams ? Remember the first rumors where about MIL, and didn't get this permission...
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#123 » by Kerrsed » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:12 am

D21 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Bud seems to want to move on. Your team seems to want to move on...

But maybe the team is ready to move IF Bud goes to PHO and they get a compensation ;-)
With his roots, it's certainly his prefered destination, but if ATL front office was simply "ready to move on", why would they give him permissions for PHO, and not for other teams ? Remember the first rumors where about MIL, and didn't get this permission...

Is there a link or source or something where it says they turned the Bucks down? I keep seeing that repeated, but didnt find anything more-so than just random people saying that. A link to a source would be really nice. I'd like a little more certainty before just passing this notion off as a fact.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#124 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:15 am

D21 wrote:

I've considered this in the Suns thread but the main thing is Suns being in the Western Conference means you're only playing against us twice a year whereas a Bud coached Bucks will face you guys up to 4 times a year. We're not rivals (except for this season's tank race lol) and we wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot in the same conference so letting Bud go to the Suns is rather inconsequential to you guys.

The Bucks on the other hand, you play that 3-4 times a year, at some point you could be fighting for a playoff spot/seeding and it's just a bit more touchy letting a coach go to a team in the same conference, you never know how it would affect you. What other job openings are available aside from us? NY? Orlando? Charlotte? All Eastern conference teams and all three you could be playing 3-4 times a season as well.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#125 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:28 am

CP War Hawks wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I'm not saying he'll resign to play for someone else. I'm saying that's worst case scenario if he has no interest in coaching the Hawks and the Hawks won't let him go. I don't think it'll come to that because I do believe both parties are reasonable and they'll come to a resolution

It was discussed either this thread or another that a resignation is very unlikely. He'll give up 14 million and probably couldn't coach during the duration of the original deal.

There has to be stipulations to coaches quitting and going to a different team with years left on their contract. A guy like Carlisle would have probably did it long ago with many attractive offers.

I feel certain Schlenk had discussed to him a resignation would not be an option if he allowed him to interview elsewhere. The Hawks are hamstrung the most out of this ordeal and we need to be compensated.

I can't wait til this is over. I would prefer Bud is back. I feel we aren't that far with Bud as the coach. Without him, I have more than enough questions.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,036

Post#126 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:37 am

How about this senario. Hawks trade Bud for #16, but to make the deal possible they give Bud a buy-out. Say $4M of the $13M plus he's owed.

Sarver can then bring Bud in at a more reasonable cost for the first two years of his deal 2 years @ $8M. Add the Hawks buy-out and Bud only loses a relatively small percetage of his money, Sarver gets his coach on the cheap, the Hawks get #16 and TS gets to bring in his rebuild coach... also on the cheap to off-set Bud's buy-out.

A good deal for all?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#127 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:19 am

tbhawksfan1 wrote:How about this scenario. Hawks trade Bud for #16, but to make the deal possible they give Bud a buy-out. Say $4M of the $13M plus he's owed.

A good deal for all?

Phoenix would have to LOVE Budenholzer massively more than any other option.

I'd think they would just rather have Vogel and keep the #16 pick.

Or just have Fizdale and keep the #16 pick.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Suns seem like they have a plethora of options at coach. Bud might be the best option. But far from the only one.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#128 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:21 am

If you wanna know what I really think: Bud is gone and the only comp will be getting out of his salary
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#129 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:22 am

maybe a distant second to save face
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#130 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:37 am

Read on Twitter

...there is young talent in Phoenix that could be seen as appealing. Perhaps appealing enough to pull away current Hawks head coach like Mike Budenholzer.

This doesn't mean that Budenholzer to the Suns is a done deal. The two sides are still in the meeting process and plenty could change between now and getting a deal finished. There's also the difficult process of getting a coach to Phoenix who's still under contract for two more years in Atlanta.

If the Suns do hire Budenholzer, they'll be getting a well-respected coach. The Hawks have had one of the most consistent systems in the league since he took over in Atlanta and he arguably made the worst roster in the NBA win more games (24) than it should have this season. It would be interesting to see what he could do with the young talent in Phoenix.
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#131 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Suns Rumors: Phoenix to Interview Frank Vogel After Mike Budenholzer Meeting

The Phoenix Suns appear to have zeroed in on hiring Mike Budenholzer as their next head coach but appear to have backup plans in place if that falls through.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Budenholzer met with Suns brass Monday and Tuesday to gauge whether he would be a good fit.Should the meetings sour on either side, the Suns are also slated to interview Frank Vogel for their coaching position, per John Gambadoro of Arizona Sports 98.7.

The Suns' focus appears to be on getting a coach with experience to mold their young roster, which has struggled to coalesce despite a multiyear rebuild. Star Devin Booker also put pressure on the franchise by saying he no longer wanted to miss the playoffs.

Budenholzer, 48, has coached the Hawks to four playoff appearances in his five seasons. A mutual separation could allow general manager Travis Schlenk to hire a coach of his own. The Suns are a somewhat natural fit because Budenholzer grew up in Arizona.
Bleacher Report
King Ken
General Manager

Post#132 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:How about this scenario. Hawks trade Bud for #16, but to make the deal possible they give Bud a buy-out. Say $4M of the $13M plus he's owed.

A good deal for all?

Phoenix would have to LOVE Budenholzer massively more than any other option.

I'd think they would just rather have Vogel and keep the #16 pick.

Or just have Fizdale and keep the #16 pick.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Suns seem like they have a plethora of options at coach. Bud might be the best option. But far from the only one.

That's fine with me :nod:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#133 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:51 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:That won't happen, be reasonable. It's more likely 16 and 19 with a 2nd thrown in.
What happens if the Hawks get the 1st pick? How do you pick swap that.

It don't matter what PHX wants to happen, it's what Atlanta will accept. Bud's under contract. The ball is in our court or find another coach. If they want and believe in Bud, SHOW IT!

Bud seems to want to move on. Your team seems to want to move on. It's true that ultimately Hawks can decide to not let Bud go without getting the King's ransom (pun intended) but then you're left with a coach that doesn't really want to coach your team and a front office that has a disgruntled guy in your ranks. For another two years.

Let's not forget that Bud can just resign if it comes down to it and ATL will be left with nothing.

Ultimately, unlike you, I think your team is reasonable. A high 2nd or at very most, a pick swap is probably the most you're getting.

More info trickling out...

Budenholzer is under contract with the Hawks for two more seasons and about $14 million. When granting the Suns permission to speak to Budenholzer last week, the Hawks indicated that he would not be released from his contract without compensation. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-coach-budenholzer-meets-with-suns/NZDwwVny8UM56sRRJkujLO/
King Ken
General Manager

Post#134 » by King Ken » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
King Ken wrote:It don't matter what PHX wants to happen, it's what Atlanta will accept. Bud's under contract. The ball is in our court or find another coach. If they want and believe in Bud, SHOW IT!

Bud seems to want to move on. Your team seems to want to move on. It's true that ultimately Hawks can decide to not let Bud go without getting the King's ransom (pun intended) but then you're left with a coach that doesn't really want to coach your team and a front office that has a disgruntled guy in your ranks. For another two years.

Let's not forget that Bud can just resign if it comes down to it and ATL will be left with nothing.

Ultimately, unlike you, I think your team is reasonable. A high 2nd or at very most, a pick swap is probably the most you're getting.

More info trickling out...

Budenholzer is under contract with the Hawks for two more seasons and about $14 million. When granting the Suns permission to speak to Budenholzer last week, the Hawks indicated that he would not be released from his contract without compensation. 

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-coach-budenholzer-meets-with-suns/NZDwwVny8UM56sRRJkujLO/

I want Bud back but a pick swap of the highest of #1 and #4 and the 16th pick will made me say, congratulations Bud, I wish you well in the desert
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#135 » by jayu70 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Other coach Trades and compensation:

Stan Van Gundy: traded from MIA to Orl for a 2nd and the right to swap 1sts, even though he was no longer the coach but still under contract. Gundy resigned as coach but still stayed with the team in a diff. capacity. Orl still had to compensate the Heat.
Pat Riley: traded from NYK to MIA for a future 1st (turned into 19th pick overall in 96). There was a tampering charge filed by NYK in this cuffufle.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#136 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Suns fandom definitely high on Budenholzer. And understandably so...

Mike Budenholzer is the man for the Phoenix Suns

Arizona native Mike Budenholzer was recently granted permission to interview for the head coaching job in Phoenix. The Suns are prioritizing NBA success, so for them, Budenholzer would be a home run.

To snag Head Coach Mike Budenholzer, with 2 years and $14 million left on his contract with the Atlanta Hawks, the Suns would likely have to surrender a pick to get the deal done. All in all, it may be worth it for the desperate Suns. A pick to the Hawks may also benefit them, in there eyes making the deal more attractive – especially knowing the chances Mike would be out at the end of his term anyway.
Suns Fansided
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#137 » by Robo_Claw » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:20 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:That won't happen, be reasonable. It's more likely 16 and 19 with a 2nd thrown in.
What happens if the Hawks get the 1st pick? How do you pick swap that.

It don't matter what PHX wants to happen, it's what Atlanta will accept. Bud's under contract. The ball is in our court or find another coach. If they want and believe in Bud, SHOW IT!

While I'd love to rake Phoenix over the coals and get something substantial it looks like Bud wants out and we are willing to move on. I think you are prolly the most accurate with the high 2nd, maybe a future protected first at best. Bud is a great coach but there is no grounds for any of the compensation ideas that have been thrown around here.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#138 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:How about this senario. Hawks trade Bud for #16, but to make the deal possible they give Bud a buy-out. Say $4M of the $13M plus he's owed.

Sarver can then bring Bud in at a more reasonable cost for the first two years of his deal 2 years @ $8M. Add the Hawks buy-out and Bud only loses a relatively small percetage of his money, Sarver gets his coach on the cheap, the Hawks get #16 and TS gets to bring in his rebuild coach... also on the cheap to off-set Bud's buy-out.

A good deal for all?

I don't think we're moving the #16 for Bud. The closest that has been discussed is from the local Phoenix radio guy (Gambo) mentioning someone from ATL discussing a pick swap between #16 and #19 but no one has mentioned a straight #16 trade and I don't believe that's what needed to get it done.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#139 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Robo_Claw wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Bud seems to want to move on. Your team seems to want to move on. It's true that ultimately Hawks can decide to not let Bud go without getting the King's ransom (pun intended) but then you're left with a coach that doesn't really want to coach your team and a front office that has a disgruntled guy in your ranks. For another two years.

While I'd love to rake Phoenix over the coals and get something substantial it looks like Bud wants out and we are willing to move on. I think you are prolly the most accurate with the high 2nd, maybe a future protected first at best. Bud is a great coach but there is no grounds for any of the compensation ideas that have been thrown around here.
I think a high 2nd is a great haul for you guys since you're looking to move on and not pay a guy who doesn't want to be there another $14m. High 2nd rounders imo are pretty valuable since the talent differential between #25 to #35 is minimal, it's a cheaper contract and there's a lot more contract flexibility which you don't get with a first round pick contract.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#140 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:12 am

Here comes tha Suns ... do, do, do, doooo
king01 :king:

Return to Atlanta Hawks