ImageImage

Breaking: Bud granted permission to talk to Suns

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Re: Breaking: Bud granted permission to talk to Suns 

Post#141 » by D21 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:46 am

Kerrsed wrote:Is there a link or source or something where it says they turned the Bucks down? I keep seeing that repeated, but didnt find anything more-so than just random people saying that. A link to a source would be really nice. I'd like a little more certainty before just passing this notion off as a fact.

No, there's no link to an official announcement of that, but we can sure that if he got it officially, the first headline would have been "Bud got permission to talk to MIL" instead of the PHO line. And same thing if he got permission for every team.

lilfishi22 wrote:I've considered this in the Suns thread but the main thing is Suns being in the Western Conference means you're only playing against us twice a year whereas a Bud coached Bucks will face you guys up to 4 times a year. We're not rivals (except for this season's tank race lol) and we wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot in the same conference so letting Bud go to the Suns is rather inconsequential to you guys...

Right, that's what I said in a previous post also, and that's one point for the front office, but since we can also add Bud's preference for PHO which leads to a win/win for both front office and Bud.
It seems to be his preference because of roots (talked in lots of news), but I also think there's more than that (even if it would not be so easy to do) :
Bud could be the best coach to get Leonard in a trade (or as free agent). Leonard certainly knows that it was Bud who convinced everybody in SAS to make the trade of George Hill to IND to get him. And I'm sure the discussion with Sarver had this point at a moment, or at least about signing or trading for a high player, because if Sarver sells him a project that match the Hawks project, he will not be so happy.

They guy is not happy of loosing, he could have deal with it one year, but since Schlenk wants to add other picks by getting bad contracts with the cap room, instead of trying the make the best competitive team next season, it would be a bit stupid to ask for another team if they want to do the same thing... or his roots are more important than everything else.

The sad part is that he could also be the best, and only, chance to get Leonard in ATL if he was staying and that SAS and Leonard want to end their relation. Always a bad timing in ATL ;-)
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#142 » by Kerrsed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 am

D21 wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:Is there a link or source or something where it says they turned the Bucks down? I keep seeing that repeated, but didnt find anything more-so than just random people saying that. A link to a source would be really nice. I'd like a little more certainty before just passing this notion off as a fact.

No, there's no link to an official announcement of that, but we can sure that if he got it officially, the first headline would have been "Bud got permission to talk to MIL" instead of the PHO line. And same thing if he got permission for every team.

Ok, so there is nothing anywhere saying that the Bucks wanted an interview or even that they have interest in Bud, cool, got it, thanks.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#143 » by D21 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 am

Kerrsed wrote:
D21 wrote:

Ok, so there is nothing anywhere saying that the Bucks wanted an interview or even that they have interest in Bud, cool, got it, thanks.

That's not exactly what I said, it was that there was no link confirming he didn't get a permission, but at least, there were sources about Bud being interested, even if there was no line on MIL interest :
What’s more, multiple sources said two current head coaches — Doc Rivers of the Los Angeles Clippers and Mike Budenholzer of Atlanta – have more than a passing interest in the Bucks’ job and coaching the NBA’s brightest young star in Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Some NBA officials said Budenholzer, who guided the Hawks to 60 wins just three seasons ago when he was accorded NBA’s Coach of the Year honors, also doesn’t want to be part of an extensive rebuild in Atlanta.

But more than, even if MIL wasn't interested, there would be lots of good team thinking at him. And he wanted a quick rebuild or stay competitive, so his preference would be a team with already a playoffs level, which is not the case of PHO. OK, they may make a huge step for this by getting a top pick, but ATL is in the same way, and even with less odds, they could still get a better pick than PHO.
I don't see Bud basing his preference between these two teams only on the odds at this draft.

Now, Sarver will play some pressure on ATL to not ask more than he wants, by getting other coaches in interview, but ATL has to put pressure by the fact that he's certainly better than the other, and that he's the one that could bring Leonard in PHO, now or later.

It was a surprise for everybody that a coach wanting to win was linked with the team with the worst record, so there's more than roots for a coach who wants to win, for sure
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#144 » by Kerrsed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 am

Thats great and all that multiple sources have said that Bud is interested in the Bucks job, but thats a hell of a lot different than the Bucks being interested or even that they asked to interview him and were denied like you have been saying.

Im interested in banging Selena Gomez and she has an opening for a boyfriend, but that doesnt mean that she called asking about me and was denied.

Two different things, two very different things.

But thank you for finally responding. Im pretty well versed in the ways of the interwebs and spent way more time than i would like to admit looking for anything that said the Bucks were turned down by the Hawks, and i couldnt even find anything that said they had any kind of interest in him, so thanks for the confirmation.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
D21
Assistant Coach

Post#145 » by D21 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:33 am

Kerrsed wrote:Thats great and all that multiple sources have said that Bud is interested in the Bucks job, but thats a hell of a lot different than the Bucks being interested or even that they asked to interview him and were denied like you have been saying.

One more time, I never said that MIL asked for an interview and were denied.
I did say he certainly did not get a permission to talk to MIL, and as an example since he had interest. And I talk about Bud, not MIL, because if he has interest, he would need it. You can see that it's not PHO that got the permission to talk to Bud, but Bud who got it to talk to PHO. It would certainly have gone the same way to MIL, so no need to talk about MIL asking a permission

I've always had a big respect for the PHO forum, and I usually ask the other people what he was thinking exactly in case I've a doubt before assuming he was saying something he didn't, so please, I will double check the way I write it, but try to avoid playing with my words a third time in the same thread, even if I admit there was a missing word in my post that would have make it clearer ;-)
...why would they give him permissions for PHO, and not for other teams ? Remember the first rumors where about MIL, and * didn't get this permission...

* It was a "he" for Bud and not a "they" for MIL as I said just before "they give him" the permission
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#146 » by Kerrsed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 am

D21 wrote:
Kerrsed wrote:Thats great and all that multiple sources have said that Bud is interested in the Bucks job, but thats a hell of a lot different than the Bucks being interested or even that they asked to interview him and were denied like you have been saying.

One more time, I never said that MIL asked for an interview and were denied.
I did say he certainly did not get a permission to talk to MIL, and as an example since he had interest. And I talk about Bud, not MIL, because if he has interest, he would need it. You can see that it's not PHO that got the permission to talk to Bud, but Bud who got it to talk to PHO. It would certainly have gone the same way to MIL, so no need to talk about MIL asking a permission

I've always had a big respect for the PHO forum, and I usually ask the other people what he was thinking exactly in case I've a doubt before assuming he was saying something he didn't, so please, I will double check the way I write it, but try to avoid playing with my words a third time in the same thread, even if I admit there was a missing word in my post that would have make it clearer ;-)
...why would they give him permissions for PHO, and not for other teams ? Remember the first rumors where about MIL, and * didn't get this permission...

* It was a "he" for Bud and not a "they" for MIL as I said just before "they give him" the permission

Yeah, i understand, its just weird to me because a team has to approach another team (Like the Suns did to the Hawks) and express interest in the coach and ask to speak with them. When a team is looking for a coach, its not like an open roll call where coaches that are interested just show up and interview (Hell Kidd has been all over our local radio begging for the job, even moving back here...and we arnt willing to give him an interview, lol). Thats why i was asking about the Bucks being interested, because if they said no to Bud (Or the Bucks for that matter), that means the Bucks asked the Hawks about him.

That was all i was trying to figure out, if there was just more than the report of people saying Bud was interested in the Bucks. :D

We even had a few of our own posters see what you wrote (Originally) and took it as the Bucks asked the Hawks about Bud, but he was denied permission to talk to them, and from there repeat it a few times, so it was driving me crazy trying to clear this all up.

....and for the record i am still interested in banging Selena Gomez. If anyone knows someone that knows someone who knows someone who knows her, hit up my DM's! :P
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,474

Post#147 » by dms269 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 am

If there is mutual interest between Bud and the Bucks, then Atlanta would be stupid to not allow an interview. I know the east and Yada Yada yada, but having two teams who both want him and raise the value of our return.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by Kerrsed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 am

dms269 wrote:If there is mutual interest between Bud and the Bucks, then Atlanta would be stupid to not allow an interview. I know the east and Yada Yada yada, but having two teams who both want him and raise the value of our return.

I agree. 4 Games a season, let alone when one is a playoff contender and the other is rebuilding doesnt make up for the fact that the compensation might be better from the Bucks, or the compensation might be better from the Suns knowing the Bucks are also a possibility.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#149 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Guys. Milwaukee can't (won't) openly engage in a coaching search while their team is still playing.

It's a distraction to their players and disrespectful to the interim coach.

There will likely be some serious mutual interest once their postseason run is complete.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#150 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Michael Cunningham wrote:Three reasons Suns job could be more desirable for Hawks coach Budenholzer

At first glance, Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer’s interest in the Suns job doesn’t make much sense besides the franchise being located three hours from his hometown. But there are professional reasons why the Suns job could be more attractive to Budenholzer than his current gig. Here are three:

1. The Suns say they are done with tanking

the Suns said they are ready to stop tanking and start winning. Back in January, GM Ryan McDonough declared that the Suns plan to be aggressive in free agency with up to $10 million in cap space. McDonough reiterated that strategy last week. “Three years is kind of the right amount of time to acquire a decent amount of young talent, other draft picks and salary flexibility,” McDonough told azcentral.com

By contrast, the Hawks have more lottery seasons on the horizon. The Hawks will have considerable cap space this summer, but GM Travis Schlenk is more likely to use it to take on contracts in exchange for draft picks and young players rather than add core talent.

2. The Suns already have a potential franchise player

It’s no secret that nearly every NBA champion had at least one player named first- or second-team All-NBA. For non-marquee franchises like the Hawks and Suns, the only realistic way to acquire a top 10 talent is via the draft.

The Suns may have already done that with wing Devin Booker, the No. 13 pick in 2015. Booker is coming off a breakout season in which he was a high-usage, efficient scorer, good playmaker and solid rebounder. Booker joined LeBron James and Michael Jordan as the only players 21 or younger to average at least 24 points, four assists and four rebounds over a season.

...he’s a budding star who doesn’t turn 22 until October. And related to No. 1: Booker said last week that he’s “done with not making the playoffs” so the Suns need to keep him happy as they look to sign him to an extension this summer.

3. The Suns have a surplus of first-round draft picks

...the Suns are the only team with a more valuable collection of draft picks than the Hawks.

The Suns have two first-round draft picks in 2018. The Suns also own a future first-round pick via Milwaukee that is protected.
myAJC
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#151 » by King Ken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Suns fans: 2nd round pick should do. We dont want to really give up **** but a 2nd is more than enough.

Hawks fans: pick swap of the 1st and 4th as well as the 16th pick but the 16th pick is fine for now.

Reality: No one knows.

I would say, seeing how Atlanta values assets. They will really want that pick swap as Bud great coaching cost us some spots and probably a future 1st round pick that's protected.

What both will push for is in the best interests of their team. Suns will push for less, Hawks will push for more. That much I can promise.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#152 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:01 pm

This is taking too long for my liking - let's get 'er done and move on one way or the other.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#153 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 pm

jayu70 wrote:This is taking too long for my liking - let's get 'er done and move on one way or the other.

Yeah...and I'm becoming aggravated/concerned that we haven't been linked to any coaching hires ourselves.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#154 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jayu70 wrote:This is taking too long for my liking - let's get 'er done and move on one way or the other.

Yeah...and I'm becoming aggravated/concerned that we haven't been linked to any coaching hires ourselves.

Yep.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#155 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Yep.

Next announcement: Hawks, having used the Suns to set Budz' coaching "market", re-sign Budenholzer to a 4-year deal, blah, blah, blah ...

Hey, you talked about speaking shat into existence.
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#156 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:18 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Yep.

Next announcement: Hawks, having used the Suns to set Budz' coaching "market", re-sign Budenholzer to a 4-year deal, blah, blah, blah ...

:lol: :lol:
King Ken
General Manager

Post#157 » by King Ken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:32 pm

kg01 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Yep.

That will be great! I want Bud in Atlanta for as long as Pop. I was mad when I first heard this news but seriously, we haven't had a coach near as good as Bud. Keep him forever
King Ken
General Manager

Re: Breaking: Bud granted permission to talk tno Suns 

Post#158 » by King Ken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Now thinking about it. There is no way in hell I would do any deal without getting that pick swap of 1 and 4. Bud ass decided he wanted to be the MVP of coaching getting us out of best odds and wants to leave for the team he helped. Hell no! That higher of the two pick swap for 1 and 4 is mandatory. No pick swap, no f**king Bud! Non negotiable.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#159 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 pm

King Ken wrote:Now thinking about it. There is no way in hell I would do any deal without getting that pick swap of 1 and 4. Bud ass decided he wanted to be the MVP of coaching getting us out of best odds and wants to leave for the team he helped. Hell no! That higher of the two pick swap for 1 and 4 is mandatory. No pick swap, no f**king Bud! Non negotiable.

Heh. May as well go all-in on the pettiness. Accuse him/them of collusion. Budz turning into Red Popovich the last few games tryna boost PHX's chances of getting the top pick knowing full well he was gonna try to angle himself to the desert after the season.

:lol: ... funny thing is that's not sooo far-fetched. :-?
king01 :king:
King Ken
General Manager

Post#160 » by King Ken » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm

kg01 wrote:
King Ken wrote:Now thinking about it. There is no way in hell I would do any deal without getting that pick swap of 1 and 4. Bud ass decided he wanted to be the MVP of coaching getting us out of best odds and wants to leave for the team he helped. Hell no! That higher of the two pick swap for 1 and 4 is mandatory. No pick swap, no f**king Bud! Non negotiable.

Heh. May as well go all-in on the pettiness. Accuse him/them of collusion. Budz turning into Red Popovich the last few games tryna boost PHX's chances of getting the top pick knowing full well he was gonna try to angle himself to the desert after the season.

:lol: ... funny thing is that's not sooo far-fetched. :-?

It's not. That's why that pick swap is mandatory

Return to Atlanta Hawks