ImageImage

Travis Schlenk trying to build Hawks in Warrior’s image (aka 2018 offseason thread)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Re: Travis Schlenk trying to build Hawks in Warrior’s image (aka 2018 offseason thread) 

Post#261 » by tbhawksfan1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Presti, one of the GM's that took Schlenk to the shed, has been in position since 2007 with a very nice track record. He reloads, doesn't rebuild. that OKC pick has at least as much chance of being a SRP as a late FRP
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Re: Travis Schlenk trying to build Hawks in Warrior’s image (aka 2018 offseason thread) 

Post#262 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm including this excerpt from an article on Wonder Boy. But I'm focused primarily on the negotiating tactics of our front office. Sounds like Schlenk played hardball just to get that Mavs pick down to top-5 protections. I imagine by that point, TS doubted the protection would even be relevant long term.

(Please don't hijack yet another thread. There are myriad other places to pine about Luka or complain about Travis.)

Spoiler:
Luka Doncic becomes Mavs' franchise cornerstone, leaves others with draft-day regrets

About an hour before the NBA Draft got underway back in June, days’ worth of discussions between the Mavericks and Hawks about swapping draft picks...looked fruitless. The deal had fallen apart, the rumor mill ground to a halt and Dallas would be unable to leap ahead of Memphis to ensure that Doncic would be the cornerstone of the franchise reboot the team was imagining.

Doncic’s agent, Bill Duffy of BDA Sports, had some advice in his conversations with the Mavs: Keep trying. Doncic would have been open to any NBA team that drafted him, but Dallas was his top choice. Atlanta, it was known, had focused its attention on guard Trae Young, and could afford to slide down to choose him. So Duffy urged the Mavericks to, as he put it, "chip away" at the Hawks.

It will cost the Mavericks next year’s first-round pick, protected for the top five, but with Dallas now looking to make a postseason push behind its rookie phenom, the pick is a small price.
The Sporting News
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#263 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#264 » by jayu70 » Tue Jan 1, 2019 2:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app

This was a particularly enlightening interview by Schlenk, it's 30 minutes if you have the time and can ignore Bumbling Brad.
Highlights for those who don't have the time:

- Thoughts on Atlanta’s trio of rookies
Young - pleased with his ability to run the offense, he struggled with his jumpshot, but pleased with his play at the rim particulary for such a young small PG. His effort on defense has significantly improved compared to the start of the season.
Huerter - he has gotten over being nervous and just playing ball
Spellman - he is too fat ( :D I kid). His injuries has kept him out but still like the pick. Like what he brings.

-How much does Travis hear with regard to the noise surrounding the draft-night trade with Dallas?
He here's it, who doesn't but he's pleased with the trade and the pick that's coming.

-Juggling job responsibilities as the trade deadline approaches and a pivotal draft looms.
He's at some college games if he needs to be.
Getting calls on vets.
He has no interest in taking on long term salary for 2nds.
He said he knew some fans were upset for him not trading Beli and Illy but he had no interest in taking on added salary for 2nds. He did make a good point on 2nd rounders - they usually sign a 2 year deal, if they outplay the contract you have no bird rights and you are limited in what you can pay them, some other team can swoop in and nab them.
On Dedmon picking up his option, he was concerned if Hawks drafted a big he would be relegated to the bench for development of the big. TS assured him if that was the case as the season went on he'd do right by him and move him.
He intimated (and I'm interpreting) that if by some miracle the team continues to play well and say get to 41 wins then that's when they would look to sign big FAs but he happy with his 2 top 10 picks :D in 2019.
He's not looking to acquire anymore 2019 picks (we have 5, 2 1s and 3 2nds). He did make a good point on 2nd rounders which I didn'tthink about - they usually sign a 2 year deal, if they outplay the contract you have no bird rights and you are limited in what you can pay them, some other team can swoop in and nab them.
He wants future 1sts, so 2020 and beyond.
He always wants to have assest and financial flexibility. Opportunities to trade these pick for young players.

-Travis’s view of young veterans in Taurean Prince and John Collins.
TP may be out another 2 weeks, love his 3pt shooting
JC - ho hum 20/10 guy without even trying he's extending his range, getting better on defense (one of the reasons he fell in draft)

- Early returns on Lloyd Pierce“How long is this going to take?”
Loves Pierce, he's honest with players and they appreciate that.

That's all I remember.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#265 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:57 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#266 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:57 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#267 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:41 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#268 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 970

Post#269 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 pm

This rebuild has been refreshing seeing the fruits of labor emerge. All I keep seeing is how no one has ever seen such an off-season like this one, and it's solely because of Travis and the job he's done.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#270 » by jayu70 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Geaux_Hawks wrote:This rebuild has been refreshing seeing the fruits of labor emerge. All I keep seeing is how no one has ever seen such an off-season like this one, and it's solely because of Travis and the job he's done.

Having an actual cornerstond to build your team around helps.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#271 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:05 am

Five years and 1 division title later, Hawks have given up on this dream...

Return to Atlanta Hawks