ImageImage

2019 NBA Draft Prep

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should Hawks go with their lottery picks?

Sekou Doumbouya
18%
Coby White
4%
Jaxson Hayes
9%
Nassir Little
5%
Cam Reddish
34%
Bol Bol
14%
Brandon Clarke
10%
Trade the picks
7%

Total votes: 103

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Prep 

Post#141 » by kg01 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^My thoughts on the guys above:

• Cam Reddish reminds me a bit of Joe Johnson, for better or worse.
  • Quentin is a 2-way combo guard who seems like he'd mesh well with Trae.
  • Jontay is a better version of Omari who's been compared to Nikola Jokic quite a bit.
  • D Hunter is reminiscent of Jaylen Brown of the Celtics.
  • Rui Hachimura reminds me of a not crazy version of Ron Artest.

Something must be wrong ... I kinda agree with all these. :o

It's finally happened, @jamallll ... we both crazy!!

I see Hunter as closer to being Justise Winslow 2.0 though and I mean that in a very bad way.
king01 :king:
socialsavant
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#142 » by socialsavant » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm curious what you guys think of Romeo Langford and Bol Bol. I think they're both intriguing prospects with a lot of skill. Seems to fit what Travis Schlenk likes in prospects.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,503

Post#143 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:13 pm

socialsavant wrote:I'm curious what you guys think of Romeo Langford and Bol Bol. I think they're both intriguing prospects with a lot of skill. Seems to fit what Travis Schlenk likes in prospects.

I am not a huge fan of Bol Bol and Travis Schlenk has stated he prefers drafting playmakers over big men. (The reasoning being that serviceable Centers can be pulled off the trash heap for minimal. Think Dedmon and Len)

...but I agree they both seem like they fit his overall type of players.

It depends on what our guys do this season on whether we will be acquiring pieces that fit -- or still just be accumulating assets and best players available.

Spoiler:
From the previously mentioned mock draft:

6. Bol Bol, Oregon PF/C Freshman

Bol Bol will likely divide the scouting community by intriguing with 7'2" size and perimeter skills while generating skepticism over the idea that his body and game can translate.

It will only take one team to feel the upside is worth the risk, though. Bol's potential to stretch the floor, protect the rim and attack closeouts may be too appealing.

And he made it all look more convincing last spring at the Nike Hoop Summit and Jordan Brand Classic.

Bol presents some risk, based on his awkward mobility and thin legs. But he could be one of the game's most unique two-way weapons.

5. Romeo Langford, Indiana SG, Freshman

Romeo Langford will have the chance to create a top-five case with his effortless mix of athleticism and scoring ability.

He's a bucket-getter. Indiana's newest weapon should generate excitement for his offense. A 6'6" shooting guard, Langford plays a smooth game, never working too fast while still getting the shots he wants from each level.

He can appear overly casual, and it will be interesting to see how fans and scouts react during games when he's quiet. But enough production should earn Langford a high spot on teams' boards...
socialsavant
Ballboy
And1: 32

Post#144 » by socialsavant » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah they both seem so casual and nonchalant which is the only thing that annoys me about them. I have to see how they do in college. I think Bol Bol has actively made efforts to alleviate people's concerns about his mindset. Honestly I think Romeo is just a rockstar in his home state and he's been a bit jaded. He's got a lot of Klay Thompson/Joe Johnson in his game and he's sneaky athletic too. I really want us to take Zion first. I think he'll be a superb small ball big/wing that can play with a PG like Trae Young. He doesn't need the ball to be effective. Gonna be an interesting season for sure.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#145 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:37 pm

If we can get Reddish or Barrett on this roster next summer to pair with Trae Young, I honestly can foresee a path to true contention for this franchise for the first time...maybe ever.

Read on Twitter
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#146 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:57 pm

Personally, I haven't researched enough to pinpoint that guy who's a must have with the top pick among the three 1st rounders. I do recognize this draft is heavy with swingmen, so don't fight it and load up on them.

It would be smart to trade the Dallas pick and/or Cleveland pick if either conveys for a 2020 draft pick which is much more well rounded than this one.
kg01
General Manager

Post#147 » by kg01 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:10 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Personally, I haven't researched enough to pinpoint that guy who's a must have with the top pick among the three 1st rounders. I do recognize this draft is heavy with swingmen, so don't fight it and load up on them.

It would be smart to trade the Dallas pick and/or Cleveland pick if either conveys for a 2020 draft pick which is much more well rounded than this one.

I'd prefer to use one or both of those picks to trade for a guy set to help us start the path to winning.

Schlenk has said they'd be looking for the next Harden-type player to shake loose and have been working to position ourselves to be able to trade for the right player. I highly doubt they plan to simply draft guys with those picks.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#148 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:17 pm

kg01 wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:Personally, I haven't researched enough to pinpoint that guy who's a must have with the top pick among the three 1st rounders. I do recognize this draft is heavy with swingmen, so don't fight it and load up on them.

I'd prefer to use one or both of those picks to trade for a guy set to help us start the path to winning.

Schlenk has said they'd be looking for the next Harden-type player to shake loose and have been working to position ourselves to be able to trade for the right player. I highly doubt they plan to simply draft guys with those picks.

I don't really put much stock into what Schlenk says. He has a dubious track record when he speaks. I feel we need to keep drafting with the lotto picks until atleast one hits gold and then strike in FA once all that cap space becomes available.

We need to find a long term sg and c. I'm okay with Collins, Prince, and lesser extent Tray for the foreseeable. I feel Young will be a 10-15 year pro, but will it be in the Bibby or Nash mode.
kg01
General Manager

Post#149 » by kg01 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:26 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I don't really put much stock into what Schlenk says. He has a dubious track record when he speaks. I feel we need to keep drafting with the lotto picks until atleast one hits gold and then strike in FA once all that cap space becomes available.

We need to find a long term sg and c. I'm okay with Collins, Prince, and lesser extent Tray for the foreseeable. I feel Young will be a 10-15 year pro, but will it be in the Bibby or Nash mode.

Agree Schlenk is a liar. And not even like a cagey (get it, "kg") liar, just a liar in general.

That said, what I do believe is in our history which tells me we won't ever be a player in free agency. In addition, the history of the NBA tells us young teams full of rookie-scale guys has no chance of winning (hello, PHX).

Based on those truths, I believe we cannot field a successful team by simply utilizing all these draft picks. That tells me a trade has to be coming.

So it's not so much that I believe Schlenk. I just think it's the correct course of action.
CP War Hawks
Analyst

Post#150 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:52 pm

The Hawks do have bad history of attracting FAs... Though, Joe Johnson was hell bent on coming here and Chris Paul openly wanted to play here along with Dwight. They created a wave from that tanking period that some players wanted to ride even with BK, Woody, and the ASG as head honchos.

14-15 years later we find ourselves undergoing the same process with Schlenk, Pierce, and Ressler occupying those roles. I'm not super confident they can attract the guys we want but it's very possible. As mentioned previously, a young superstar/young talented team (prerequisite) in the making and as much money as any team can offer, the team is in a very good spot by Atlanta Hawk standards.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#151 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:47 pm

A young guy to keep an eye on. He si projected as a top-7 selection next summer. I know little about him. But he has good size and been compared to PG13 on occasion.

(Athletic, good defender, strong finisher in transition, solid offensive play.)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#152 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm

NBA Draft 2019 Big Board: Early prospect rankings lack true star potential

It's never too early to start thinking about the draft.

Several prospects at the top of the 2019 class are well-known to the general public. North Carolina's Nassir Little put on a show during the high school all-star circuit, while Duke's trio of R.J. Barrett, Zion Williamson and Cameron Reddish have been in the spotlight for years. Barrett has already established himself as a legitimate No. 1 pick, Williamson's combination of youth and elite athleticism is enticing and Reddish possesses the skill to be the best player of the bunch if he wants to be.

The problem for lottery teams is that the rest of the incoming class is lacking when it comes to real star potential. Combine that with a weak returning crop of college players — De'Andre Hunter, Daniel Gafford, Jontay Porter and Rui Hachimura headline the group — and a largely uninspiring international contingent, and we've got what could be one of the worst drafts in the last five years.

Gone are the days when the NBA’s worst team would hold a 25.0 percent chance of landing the draft’s top pick and a guaranteed top three selection. Instead, the 2019 odds will be flattened out with the three worst teams holding a 14.0 percent chance each of ending up at No. 1.

With those two overarching themes in mind, it’s time to reveal our first Big Board for the 2019 NBA Draft:

1. R.J. Barrett -- Duke -- Wing -- 6-7 -- 208 -- 18 years old
  2. Zion Williamson -- Duke -- Forward -- 6-7 -- 250 -- 18 years old
  3. Nassir Little -- North Carolina -- Wing -- 6-7 -- 215 -- 18 years old
  4. Cameron Reddish -- Duke -- Wing -- 6-9 -- 205 -- 19 years old
  5. Sekou Doumbouya -- Limoges -- Forward -- 6-8 -- 230 -- 17 years old
  6. Quentin Grimes -- Kansas -- Combo -- 6-6 -- 207 -- 18 years old
Sporting News
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#153 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Read on Twitter

1. RJ Barrett, Duke, G/F Freshman

RJ Barrett starts the season with a soft hold on the No. 1 spot.

For scouts, he's been more accessible, visible and productive than any of the other top freshmen. From FIBA and the GEICO Nationals to the McDonald's All-American Game, Nike Hoop Summit and, just recently, Duke's Canadian exhibition tour, Barrett has consistently looked like his game's star player.

The NBA eye test approves his 6'7" size and athleticism for a scorer who'll be interchangeable between the 2 and 3 positions.

Barrett has a knack for making shots, even if he's still a work in progress as a shot-creator and three-point shooter. He's improving his pull-up and catch-and-shoot games, but right now he's best attacking in transition and driving in the half court, where his improvisation takes over, as he's able to finish with a wide array of layups and runners.

A competitor at both ends, Barrett enters Duke with very few questions to answer about his game. Most scouts agree he's No. 1 to start the year.

Spoiler:
2. Zion Williamson, Duke PF/C, Freshman

Zion Williamson will force scouts to expand their imaginations and throw out the traditional rules.

On paper, there are questions about how he'll fit in the NBA and what position he'll play. But they're worth overlooking in this particular case, given the rarity of Williamson's talent, even if it comes in an unorthodox shape.

Listed at 6'7", 285 pounds, he possesses an unusual, destructive mix of power and explosiveness. And despite the odd size-to-weight ratio, he's surprisingly nimble, capable of eluding defenders and contact and beating bigs to loose balls with a quick second jump.

He's also flashed intriguing skill, particularly with his ability to handle it low and pass.

If he can make enough jump shots—and he's looked capable of hitting open ones—concern over his NBA position will start to fade.

3. Nassir Little, North Carolina SG/SF, Freshman

Nassir Little starts at No. 3, and it's not his ceiling.

He made a late push last spring after combining for 52 points between the McDonald's All-American Game and Jordan Brand Classic. He'll need to back it all up at North Carolina, where he'll be counted on to emerge as a key scorer behind Luke Maye.

With a solid 6'6", 220-pound frame and plenty of athletic ability, Little has also improved as a shot-creator and maker. He'll play through contact around the basket and defend both wing spots with intensity.

The development of his perimeter game will determine how high he finishes on draft boards, but signs point to Little as a safe bet to stick in the top-five discussion all season.

4. Cam Reddish, Duke G/F, Freshman

Though Cam Reddish starts at No. 4, finishing in the top two remains a possibility.

His reputation has taken a hit due to a perceived lack of consistent concentration. But with next-level athleticism and enough two-way versatility to play and guard positions 2-4, the appeal to his long-term NBA potential is always evident, even when he's playing poorly.

Scouts' attention will focus on how Reddish performs alongside other stars, particularly after he shot 2-of-8 in a loss during April's Nike Hoop Summit.

However, in terms of capability and upside, the 6'8" forward checks plenty of boxes, with ball-handling and playmaking skills, one-on-one shot-creating moves and tough shot-making ability out to the arc.

Reddish will frustrate at times with questionable effort and shot selection. He gives into the hero-jumper urges too often. When he's on, though, Reddish could look like Duke's toughest mismatch and one of the nation's premier NBA prospects.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,936

Post#154 » by jayu70 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:55 am

Bummer.
Read on Twitter
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#155 » by MaceCase » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:12 am

jayu70 wrote:Bummer.
Read on Twitter

That family snake bitten.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#156 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:23 am

jayu70 wrote:Bummer.
Read on Twitter

That is indeed rough. And I'm really sorry to hear it.

Baby bro finally gets a full, legit shot at getting out of his brother's shadow, making a real name for himself and solidifying his spot in the first half of next year's draft...and then this.

Before the season even starts. :nonono:

If we get a selection outside the top-10...I'd still strongly consider him in the draft. Particularly with Chelsea Lane on board.

If it's one thing our young, new draftees have with this franchise...it's time.

(Plus those Nikola Jokic comparisons I've heard are very enticing.)

Spoiler:
Top 50 College Prospects to Watch

10. Jontay Porter, Missouri C, Sophomore

Expectations have risen for Jontay Porter, who returned to Missouri despite earning an invite to May's NBA combine and having had a chance to go in the first round in 2018.

The scouting lens picks up his shooting, passing and shot-blocking skills for a center. At 18 years old, Porter finished as one of two players in the country to average at least one three-point make, 1.5 blocks and two assists per game, per Sports Reference.

He also had the highest body fat percentage at the combine, as well as the slowest three-quarter sprint and lowest max vertical (tied).

Porter will need to show he's improved his body, and it wouldn't hurt if he demonstrated more shot creation and execution around the basket. But he checks the boxes NBA teams now value in centers.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#157 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#158 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm

More analysis on the Jontay Porter injury:

Jontay Porter’s injury shouldn’t weaken his draft stock

The 2019 college basketball season was dealt a big blow on Sunday night, as the Missouri Tigers’ basketball team announced that sophomore center Jontay Porter tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee during a scrimmage. He was projected to be a potential top-10 prospect for many draft scouts entering the season; in a weak class, Porter’s high-level skill and potential as a stretch-5 stood out and losing the chance to see expected skill progression as a shooter, defender, and passer is very disappointing.

The fact that Porter tore his MCL in addition to his ACL isn’t particularly concerning, as this is a common secondary injury stemming from an ACL tear. The one area that it could impact is the timing of Porter’s surgery. The MCL usually isn’t repaired because it heals well, but surgeons often want to let the MCL heal prior to ACL surgery. don’t be surprised if Porter doesn’t have immediate surgery for this reason.

There will be some debate on whether the injury should hurt Porter’s draft stock or not. Every case is different, of course, but it’s becoming more and more likely that Porter will be able to return to near his baseline after he comes back to the court.

Helping Porter along the way is his skill set, the main reason to have optimism about his long-term value as a prospect. Porter’s athleticism was already a question already, and he was considered a high-level prospect despite it thanks to his high level of skill on the offensive end. Porter is a potential lottery pick because of his decision-making and instincts coupled with his shooting touch as a pick-and-pop threat. He is certainly more Nikola Jokic than Anthony Davis, and we have seen that in recent NBA classes, skill and smarts have translated more predictably than athleticism-predicated skill sets. If he can get back to an admittedly low baseline of athleticism, he should be fine as a prospect.
Fansided
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#159 » by ATL Boy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm

Man, I'm gutted for Jontay, and I do hope that these injuries don't hurt his draft stock like the article suggests. Injuries dropped his brother to the complete back end of the lotto, although this shouldn't be as detrimental as Michael's back problems.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#160 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:05 pm

<duplicate>

Return to Atlanta Hawks