ImageImage

2019 NBA Draft Prep

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should Hawks go with their lottery picks?

Sekou Doumbouya
18%
Coby White
4%
Jaxson Hayes
9%
Nassir Little
5%
Cam Reddish
34%
Bol Bol
14%
Brandon Clarke
10%
Trade the picks
7%

Total votes: 103

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Re: 2019 NBA Draft Prep 

Post#181 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

1. R.J. Barrett

6-foot-6 Duke wing R.J. Barrett has accomplished just about everything one player can in a prep career prior to college basketball. Now, Barrett will head to Durham in hopes of leading an immensely talented (but young) Duke team back to the Final Four.

At 6-foot-7 in shoes with a 6-foot-10 wingspan and a sturdy 202-pound frame, Barrett has everything you’re looking for from a size perspective to play on the wing in the NBA...He’s a strong lateral athlete and a relatively explosive vertical one when he gets time and space. His body control and balance are sublime; even when Barrett tosses up a bad shot around the basket it’s hard not to think the ball still has a chance to go in. His motor runs hot, and his focus rarely wavers. He’s trustworthy, and consistently works to improve his game.

• Driving Ability: More than a straight line driver
  • Passing Ability: Underrated quality
  • Jump shot: A work in progress
  • Defense and Intangibles
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#182 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Have us taking RJ Barrett at #1 and Quentin Grimes at #6 via the Dallas pick.

That would be a phenomenal haul!!!

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#183 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 6, 2018 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 12:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#185 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 12:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#186 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:56 pm

Simple TS; draft one of the two and trade up to #2 for the other. RJ and Zion of course.

Collins / Zion / RJ / Trae... yes
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#187 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:05 pm

Bruh, c'mon.

You're not trading up for another top-2 selection without giving in up some serious assets in the process.

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#188 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:........

Bruh, c'mon.

You're not trading up for another top-2 selection without giving in up some serious assets in the process.

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app

I'd try to do it. I think that an important part of a rebuild is window. Got to to bring the top talent in with a similar window. Trae / Collins and one of RJ/ Zion is very nice. Hawks will win out of the top pick area before long and the top pick zone will go to others. Got to bring in the best while we can to optimize the rebuild.

Senario; Hawks thorougly tank get the #1. We get DAL pick at about #8. We absolutely have assets to move up to #2.TS has acquired a bunch of future assets, Hawks have all of their own and Dedmon / Baze / Prince / Len could all be included.

It's a golden opportunity because only a couple/few teams go full tank simutaniously and Hawks are in a good tank timing situation. Last year TS had the 2nd best draft assets and lots of future assets. This year we could/should have the best draft assets and are favored for #1. Hawks might not get a top 3 next year. Get the best while you can.

Hawks are still very talent poor. Collins at least NBA avg starter, Prince prolly below avg starter and Trae looks real good. We need a couple more top talents. Can draft the supporting cast as we rise in the standings.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#189 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:55 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:........

Bruh, c'mon.

We absolutely have assets to move up to #2.

Hawks are still very talent poor.

These two statements are very much at odds with each other...

If we want a second draft pick next summer, it's going to cost us the Dallas pick, T Prince and probably J Collins.
Maybe even a future draft pick or swap.

You better be sure it's worth it.

NOTE: I will settle for any of the top-6 wing players. Travis has consistently touted how he helped built an offensive juggernaut with selections no higher than #6.

Slow and steady is the proper course in this rebuild. Romeo Langford or Cam Reddish combined with Trae, Collins and Huerter has the potential to be a very special core.

Add'l NOTE: Trading Prince and that Dallas pick is still a reasonable course of action next June.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#190 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 6:58 pm

Say TS gets in on the Butler trade and grabs 2/3 FRPs in the deal for Dedmon / Baze and taking back BKnight. Add those draft assets with #8, 19 seconds, future draft assets and still have Len and maybe Prince to get to that #2.

Trae / Collins / Zion / RJ instantly make the Hawks the team of the future. Hawks still have a great cap situation for a while and can sign FAs to mentor/be traded/kept while the core matures.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#191 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Nov 7, 2018 7:04 pm

^Nothing wrong with dreaming big, tbhawks.

But don't get too caught up in dream deals/scenarios that you miss the realistic options in front of you.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#192 » by tbhawksfan1 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 7:18 pm

Reality is what it is and is going to be. Projecting isn't reality. Opportunity cost dictates that whatever choice you make eliminates the other choices you could have made. I still try to max draft talent in short-term using alot of possible assets to build a window core with out mortgaging the future role players acquired with picks no longer at the top of the lottery.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#193 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Nov 7, 2018 8:13 pm

If the team doesn't land the 1st or 2nd overall pick, you'd have to trade both 2019 picks (Dallas, Atlanta) to secure Zion or RJ. You may still have to dig a bit deeper to get a team to bite.

The Hawks must secure a top 3 losing record, and management all seem on the same page to do that for once.
WalterBenjamin
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#194 » by WalterBenjamin » Wed Nov 7, 2018 10:16 pm

You have a too good of an offense to not winn games by fluke. Should really tank hard for Zion and see weather Collins will be a plus D player or not. He could be a factor that turns the situation in a wrong way if not being what you need him to be. Other than that Young and Huerter can really play with any 2 players(if you have 2 picks) in this draft.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#195 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:07 pm

Another option late in the lottery, should we be fortunate enough to acquire that Dallas pick:

Naz Reid, LSU, Freshman PF/C

Naz Reid will stand out for his 6'10", 250-pound frame and his athleticism. But he'll move up draft boards with flashes of skill.

He's developed unique ball-handling for a player of his size, showing impressive agility and wiggle off the dribble. Reid will still do most of his work around the basket, but he'll earn points with scouts for his high-level passes and playmaking potential, plus his touch on free throws and mid-range shots.

He'll have to answer or eliminate questions about his conditioning and motor. Otherwise, Reid should pop like a top-10 talent.
Bleacher Report

He's the long term defensive Center we clearly need. He can pass, handle the ball, knock down mid-range jumpers (yes...I know :cry: ) and has the size to man the 5 spot next to Collins (or Zion).
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#196 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 1:52 pm

New mock from Bleacher report has Dallas keeping their own pick and us falling out of top-5 and ending up with Quentin Grimes, a solid two-way combo guard in the mold of Gary Harris.

Solid player who could pair well with Trae (and move Huerter to SF). If Trae is our Steph and Huerter our version of Klay...Grimes would essentially be our Harrison Barnes.)

(Note: I'd be crushed if Dallas ended up with both Luka and RJ Barrett in consecutive drafts.)

Spoiler:
7. Atlanta Hawks: Quentin Grimes, Kansas, Freshman SG

Quentin Grimes should have earned himself more looks and mentions inside NBA scouting departments following his debut.

He caught fire to hit six of 10 threes and score 21 points against Michigan State, appearing more reliable as a shooter than he's shown in the past.

Grimes already stood out physically with his 6'5", 210-pound frame. But he's showed maturity and growth offensively with his shot-making and ball-moving (four assists, one turnover).

Limitations as a creator hint at a lower ceiling than the projected top-five picks. Solid tools and athleticism, a promising jumper and passing IQ point to a higher floor and potential high-end, NBA role player.
Bleacher Report
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#197 » by kg01 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:06 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:New mock from Bleacher report has Dallas keeping their own pick and us falling out of top-5 and ending up with Quentin Grimes, a solid two-way combo guard in the mold of Gary Harris.

Solid player who could pair well with Trae (and move Huerter to SF). If Trae is our Steph and Huerter our version of Klay...Grimes would essentially be our Harrison Barnes.)

(Note: I'd be crushed if Dallas ended up with both Luka and RJ Barrett in consecutive drafts.)

Spoiler:
7. Atlanta Hawks: Quentin Grimes, Kansas, Freshman SG

Quentin Grimes should have earned himself more looks and mentions inside NBA scouting departments following his debut.

He caught fire to hit six of 10 threes and score 21 points against Michigan State, appearing more reliable as a shooter than he's shown in the past.

Grimes already stood out physically with his 6'5", 210-pound frame. But he's showed maturity and growth offensively with his shot-making and ball-moving (four assists, one turnover).

Limitations as a creator hint at a lower ceiling than the projected top-five picks. Solid tools and athleticism, a promising jumper and passing IQ point to a higher floor and potential high-end, NBA role player.
Bleacher Report

How in the world do they see us falling out of the top 5?

They must be anticipating DAL blowing it up later in the season. I don't think they do that especially with Dirk coming back later.

Lastly, I'm starting to think CLE goes 1-82 this year. They are shamefully bad.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#198 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:10 pm

kg01 wrote:How in the world do they see us falling out of the top 5?

They must be anticipating DAL blowing it up later in the season. I don't think they do that especially with Dirk coming back later.

I agree the overall order is unlikely. It's really too early. But we're on pace for 25-30 wins as it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get a huge bump once Collins comes back. (Similar to what happened to CHI last year when Mirotic returned.)

Trav may need to gut the team mid-season via waivers and trades to ensure we get a top-6 selection.

I'm still not entirely on the Zion hype train, but Cam Reddish or Romeo Langford would help keep opposing teams from loading up to stop Trae.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#199 » by kg01 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:How in the world do they see us falling out of the top 5?

I agree the overall order is unlikely. It's really too early. But we're on pace for 25-30 wins as it is.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get a huge bump once Collins comes back. (Similar to what happened to CHI last year when Mirotic returned.)

Trav may need to gut the team mid-season via waivers and trades to ensure we get a top-6 selection.

I'm still not entirely on the Zion hype train, but Cam Reddish or Romeo Langford would help keep opposing teams from loading up to stop Trae.

Yeah, we might rise just because we're actually trying while other crap-arse franchises are using the Washington Generals' playbook ... or the Washington Wizards' playbook (ohhhhh, shots fired).

I hope we end up with someone capable of getting their own shot. Desperate need. Desperate.

I'm also not sold on Bol Bol. To me, he's more of a sideshow than the Zion kid.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#200 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 8, 2018 2:30 pm

kg01 wrote:Yeah, we might rise just because we're actually trying while other crap-arse franchises are using the Washington Generals' playbook ... or the Washington Wizards' playbook (ohhhhh, shots fired).

I hope we end up with someone capable of getting their own shot. Desperate need. Desperate.

I'm also not sold on Bol Bol. To me, he's more of a sideshow than the Zion kid.

Bol Bol Looks so weird on the court. Not his physical appearance, but his awkward, lanky physique and unusual outside game for a guy his size. I don't wanna watch that for th enext decade.

Where Bamba looked like a young Mutombo (at times) as a freshman -- then got jacked in the pre-draft process -- Bol just looks weak and odd.

Cam Reddish is the scorer we need. He's got the size to play SF, the game to man SG and the length to guard PFs. (He actually guarded Marvin Bagley head up when they played against each other.)

His jumper is wet...but the word in HS was that he wasn't always focused. I'm hopeful he'll get a bit jealous of all the attention Zion/Barrett are getting at Duke and look forward to the chance to show what he's capable of next year.

Spoiler:
Cam Reddish | Duke

Schmitz: Reddish turned in an effective performance (22 points on 14 shots in just 24 minutes) that featured three smooth catch-and-shoot 3s and seven free throws drawn by aggressive straight-line drives to the rim. While he did settle for a couple of deep jumpers and a low-percentage fallaway against a switch, Reddish used his size, fluidity and handle to get into the paint, even finishing through contact with his off hand. His willingness to embrace contact was a welcome sign, as that hasn't always been his reputation in the past. Reddish also used his 7-foot wingspan to make plays defensively, finishing with four steals.

Reddish has as much defensive potential as any of Duke's big three, and he showed flashes of that. With Barrett and Williamson figuring to dominate the ball more often than not, it's unknown how much of Reddish's playmaking we'll get to see this season, but he was steady in his role during the blowout win.
ESPN Insider

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks