ImageImage

Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How excited are you at the prospect of this hiring?

Ecstatic! Best choice for the vacancy
48%
Luke Warm. Time will tell...
42%
Completely Unhappy (Bring back Bud)
9%

Total votes: 33

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Re: Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach 

Post#101 » by HMFFL » Mon May 28, 2018 12:51 am

Chris Jent reportedly set to remain on Atlanta Hawks coaching staff

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/5/26/17398374/chris-jent-atlanta-hawks-coaching-staff-lloyd-pierce-melvin-hunt

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#102 » by MaceCase » Tue May 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Jent was really the one guy I wanted to see retained. If the team ends up with a big in the draft maybe Ham.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#103 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the 76ers fare without Lloyd on the bench calling out defensive sets this fall.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#104 » by jayu70 » Sun Jun 3, 2018 1:02 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#105 » by jayu70 » Wed Jun 6, 2018 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#107 » by graymule » Thu Jun 7, 2018 11:26 am

:D

Yep. Watched, as the Atlanta Dream won over the formerly undefeated opponent. Lloyd Pierce was there, along with some Hawk players and he gave an interview, live, during the game.

Lloyd Pierce saw an exciting game, the home standing Dream winning, setting him a great example!!

GO ATL !!

:D :D
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#108 » by ATL Boy » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:40 am

Coach Pierce is getting the grand tour of Atlanta summer sports. Went to a couple of Braves games, threw out the first pitch the night of the lottery, hung out with the United's Supporter's Section (probably got a beer shower or two) and then headed over to watch some Dream basketball.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:17 am

ATL Boy wrote:Coach Pierce is getting the grand tour of Atlanta summer sports. Went to a couple of Braves games, threw out the first pitch the night of the lottery, hung out with the United's Supporter's Section (probably got a beer shower or two) and then headed over to watch some Dream basketball.

He's definitely making the PR rounds and seems tailor made for that type of role.

Charming, handsome, utterly delightful.

Here's hoping this hiring works out for us long-term. :peace:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#110 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:40 am

Game recognize game...Or the Unexpected Virtue of a strong marketing department.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Does anyone actually believe Dan Quinn operates his own Twitter account?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#111 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Steve Holman took a bit of a shot at Coach Bud on 92.9 this morning, saying it'll be nice to have a Hawks coach with some personally for the first time in a number of years.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#112 » by jayu70 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Steve Holman took a bit of a shot at Coach Bud on 92.9 this morning, saying it'll be nice to have a Hawks coach with some personally for the first time in a number of years.

Lol, I heard that too.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,494

Post#113 » by dms269 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:54 pm

jayu70 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Steve Holman took a bit of a shot at Coach Bud on 92.9 this morning, saying it'll be nice to have a Hawks coach with some personally for the first time in a number of years.

Lol, I heard that too.

The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 pm

Glad to hear local media feel free to take a few mild pot shots at the ex-ball coach.

PS This has always felt like an apt metaphor for the Budenholzer era in Atlanta:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Juxtaposed with this guy :thumbsup:

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:24 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#117 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 2, 2018 4:58 pm

Shout out to jayu for digging this up:

‘Excited energy’ for Hawks in advance of summer league

At some point the youthful Hawks will exasperate new coach Lloyd Pierce. But that time is not now.

As Pierce learns about his new players, the returning Hawks also are getting a read on him and his staff. Collins said he’s already seeing a difference with the new coaching staff.

“It’s definitely a lot more lax,” Collins said. “A lot younger, so I think that helps a little bit communication-wise having younger coaches to interact with. You get it a little bit more than (with) older coaches because there’s an age gap.”

Dorsey said the new coaching staff is very “hands-on” with teaching players. He said the young players are quickly picking up on what Pierce wants.

“Offensively, just attacking early and moving the ball and having great spacing,” Dorsey said. “Defensively, there is different adjustments from last season that he likes to do. Playing more up-tempo, getting into guys more and playing ‘grindier’ on defense.”

Pierce praised Collins for playing with the summer-league team after a successful debut season. And Pierce said that since he was hired as coach May 11, Dorsey has been at the team’s practice facility nearly every day.
ajc.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 5, 2018 11:22 am

A glimpse of our offense moving forward?

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 5, 2018 2:12 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Just heard Coach Pierce on 92.9 doing an interview, about 5 mins ago. Seems like a very genuine guy.

As for the basketball side of things, he talked about the importance of the 3-point line. Emphasized especially that they'll try to get John Collins to shoot 3s at both a higher volume and a higher clip.

I don't love this:

Collins was good ‘roll’ man as rookie, but Pierce wants more ‘pop’

Hawks center John Collins was one of the better rookies in the NBA last season in large part because he attacked the rim with his superlative athletic ability. Collins will have to diversify his game on offense if he is to become more than just a relentless rim runner.

new Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce is telling Collins to “pop” more in his second season after his predecessor as coach, Mike Budenholzer, focused on the “roll.” The “pop” involves setting a high screen and then stepping out to the perimeter to receive a pass in position to shoot, while the “roll” means setting the screen and the diving to the basket.

“It’s actually been kind of funny because I’ve been kind of getting confused in my brain,” Collins said after the Hawks opened summer league play Monday. “Bud always had me ‘rolling, rolling, rolling,’ and now (Pierce) is like, ‘Hey, pop a little bit.’ I started to do that at the end of last year but now starting off the year he wants me to pop some (more).

After Collins attempted one 3-pointer over his first 21 games, he had 46 tries over the final 53 games. For the season Collins made 16 of 47 3-point attempts (34 percent). Collins got the bulk of his 3-point chances while stationed in the corner on spread plays: All but one of his 3-point attempts were out of spot-up plays, and 34 of them were corner attempts.

During his rookie season Collins was one of the best roll men in the NBA. His 1.13 points per possession on 165 plays used as the roll man ranked in the 62nd percentile, according to Synergy Sports.

Scoring at the basket likely will always be the focus for Collins, who gave opponents fits at the rim as a rookie. But that aspect of his offense could become even more effective if defenders also have to be concerned about him stepping out to shoot 3-pointers.

Pierce wants Collins to create more opportunities out of pick-and-roll actions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I absolutely love this:

The Hawks showed another new wrinkle for Collins against the Grizzlies. He initiated a handful of plays from the elbows, on either side of the lane at the free-throw line. From there Collins can hand the ball off to a teammate, turn and shoot, pass from the elbow or drive to the basket looking to score or pass.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#120 » by kg01 » Thu Jul 5, 2018 2:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Just heard Coach Pierce on 92.9 doing an interview, about 5 mins ago. Seems like a very genuine guy.

As for the basketball side of things, he talked about the importance of the 3-point line. Emphasized especially that they'll try to get John Collins to shoot 3s at both a higher volume and a higher clip.

I don't love this:

Collins was good ‘roll’ man as rookie, but Pierce wants more ‘pop’

Hawks center John Collins was one of the better rookies in the NBA last season in large part because he attacked the rim with his superlative athletic ability. Collins will have to diversify his game on offense if he is to become more than just a relentless rim runner.

new Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce is telling Collins to “pop” more in his second season after his predecessor as coach, Mike Budenholzer, focused on the “roll.” The “pop” involves setting a high screen and then stepping out to the perimeter to receive a pass in position to shoot, while the “roll” means setting the screen and the diving to the basket.

“It’s actually been kind of funny because I’ve been kind of getting confused in my brain,” Collins said after the Hawks opened summer league play Monday. “Bud always had me ‘rolling, rolling, rolling,’ and now (Pierce) is like, ‘Hey, pop a little bit.’ I started to do that at the end of last year but now starting off the year he wants me to pop some (more).

After Collins attempted one 3-pointer over his first 21 games, he had 46 tries over the final 53 games. For the season Collins made 16 of 47 3-point attempts (34 percent). Collins got the bulk of his 3-point chances while stationed in the corner on spread plays: All but one of his 3-point attempts were out of spot-up plays, and 34 of them were corner attempts.

During his rookie season Collins was one of the best roll men in the NBA. His 1.13 points per possession on 165 plays used as the roll man ranked in the 62nd percentile, according to Synergy Sports.

Scoring at the basket likely will always be the focus for Collins, who gave opponents fits at the rim as a rookie. But that aspect of his offense could become even more effective if defenders also have to be concerned about him stepping out to shoot 3-pointers.

Pierce wants Collins to create more opportunities out of pick-and-roll actions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I absolutely love this:

The Hawks showed another new wrinkle for Collins against the Grizzlies. He initiated a handful of plays from the elbows, on either side of the lane at the free-throw line. From there Collins can hand the ball off to a teammate, turn and shoot, pass from the elbow or drive to the basket looking to score or pass.

I are confused. Someone here told me the only coach that wanted bigs to shoot 3's was Buttenshoulder. I'm totally confused.
king01 :king:

Return to Atlanta Hawks