ImageImage

Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How excited are you at the prospect of this hiring?

Ecstatic! Best choice for the vacancy
48%
Luke Warm. Time will tell...
42%
Completely Unhappy (Bring back Bud)
9%

Total votes: 33

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach 

Post#181 » by Spud2nique » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:12 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I know we are rebuilding but Pierce needs to step up his coaching..his plays suck.

What plays?

:lol: gooooooooooottttt heeeeeeeeeemmmm
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#182 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:03 pm

For all of Lloyd's warts and growing pains as a rookie head coach, it is incredibly cool that he's able and willing to work with young guys like this:

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#183 » by macd-gm » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:07 pm

It seems like the goal is spacing the floor but it never looks like the offense does that very well. Our 3s always seem contested. I guess you can make the case that Collins has benefited inside but that seems more from hard work on the boards than much else.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:38 am

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
DarthTater
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#185 » by DarthTater » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:53 am

I am pleased that he is allowing Collins to play iinside and not pushing the 3 point shooting on him. I also like that we are improving our offensive rebounding. Hopefully he can get them to reduce the turnovers soon.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#186 » by macd-gm » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:06 pm

DarthTater wrote:I am pleased that he is allowing Collins to play iinside and not pushing the 3 point shooting on him. I also like that we are improving our offensive rebounding. Hopefully he can get them to reduce the turnovers soon.

Not that he's ok with turnovers but at this point i think he's picked pace over minimizing turnovers. Which i think is the right thing to do.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#187 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:18 pm

This is incredibly cool...

Read on Twitter
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#188 » by Buzzard » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:52 pm

macd-gm wrote:It seems like the goal is spacing the floor but it never looks like the offense does that very well. Our 3s always seem contested. I guess you can make the case that Collins has benefited inside but that seems more from hard work on the boards than much else.

I think Pierce's offensive style is a lot more old school. Pound the ball inside and shoot the three when teams sag in. Warriors style is shoot the three and then go inside. Here is a stat that backs this up. We are 6th in points in the paint; the Warriors are 29th.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#189 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:25 pm

CLP on NBARadio today. Little recap:

About Philly win: Team was excited after Philly game, excited to put together a full 48-minute win against a "top team".

Asked about Heurter: We expected it (his play) but the real change is he sees it now (how good he can be/is). Is a really good young player, opportunity to be special.

On vets bringing along the rookies, what have you seen: Encouraged by Baze willing to give up starting spot for Kevin. Lin playing backup to a rookie, playing less minutes, being productive/not complaining. All guys have been positive, vet lockerroom guys. Helping in lockerroom, on/off court.

Do GM, staff have discussion on which vets to acquire?: Not really. Only guy acquired was Vince. "Knowing the Dennis trade was going to happen ..." (o rly?) Needed a backup so traded for Lin. Needed a vet with credibility to that's where Vince came in. Character/fit are important in any situation. Especially important due to our youth.

How often do players ask Vince to tell stories: Don't know. When he's with the guys, he's with the guys. When he's with us, we talk about our own things (90's hip-hop that the young guys know nothing about, etc.) Cool to see the tributes when he plays former teams.

Is Collins an all-star: Spoke to John, he knows it's a process. You don't have a good 20 games then become an all-star. Have to put together a body of work. Same with Ben Simmons, you played a good half a season but there's guys who've had 4 good seasons battling for it. We won't put out packages saying, "Hey vote for our guy." Wants him to keep working, want him to want it, wants him to be pissed off if he doesn't get it and want it even more.

On coaching philosophy coaching young guys, do they need minutes or more structure: There's a balance. We're about as balanced vet/young guy as anyone in terms of how much they play. Gives him the opportunity to play/start Young but gives flexibility to play Lin more as needed (when Trey doesn't "have it"). Tough to just "give" a guy minutes/shots/plays. They've gotta earn it all or they become entitled.

Worst coaching advice you got after being hired: Not necessarily advice but hears the conversation about tanking. Rejects that idea. Says the roster is what it is. Just because we're starting 3 rookies doesn't mean we're tanking. That's basically the roster that won in Philly. We want to win, compete and grow. We're greedy. We want to do all of it.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#190 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm

kg01 wrote:CLP on NBARadio today. Little recap:

Is Collins an all-star: Spoke to John, he knows it's a process. You don't have a good 20 games then become an all-star. Have to put together a body of work. Same with Ben Simmons, you played a good half a season but there's guys who've had 4 good seasons battling for it. We won't put out packages saying, "Hey vote for our guy." Wants him to keep working, want him to want it, wants him to be pissed off if he doesn't get it and want it even more.

I just swooned a bit.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

kg01 wrote:How often do players ask Vince to tell stories: Don't know. When he's with the guys, he's with the guys. When he's with us, we talk about our own things (90's hip-hop that the young guys know nothing about, etc.) Cool to see the tributes when he plays former teams.

Damn, our coach is cool. I don't know if he's here for the long haul, but this hiring -- at this stage of the rebuild -- was perfection.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,654

Post#191 » by benhillboy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm

I was skeptical as hell early but he won me over pretty quickly. Can’t get enough of the team rebounding, making guys earn their minutes, defensive teaching timeouts, chewing the refs’ asses, and the debonair suit game.

Skeets schooling Liam saying the Hawks should keep winning. The “tank or not to tank” question is really stale with me right now with the revised lottery odds. Nothing better for your young players already in the fold than to see their practice translate into wins, shiny Zionist objects off in the distance be damned.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#192 » by peoriabird » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am

Lloyd Pierce has even exceeded my expectations and I was very positive about the signing!
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#193 » by graymule » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

:D

I know nothing.
But, when many different people said many very nice things about the hire, I jumped on board. What they
were saying proved to be true. He is good. Some believed he was just a placeholder coach for the rebuild.
Bet they change their mind! He's good....

:nod:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#194 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:12 pm

NBA commissioner Adam Silver was in attendance for a Monday matinee matchup between the Hawks and the Orlando Magic.

I think Coach Pierce is doing a wonderful job with this team,” Silver said. “He’s got a very young team. Players are increasingly coming into this league at younger ages, and it requires a special coach to be able to manage those young players. I think he’s the perfect person for that. He and I also had a chance to talk before (the game on Monday). I’ve been immensely impressed with him, and I think he also understands that the role of a coach these days goes well beyond the X’s and O’s on the floor. He has to build character and help young men mature. As I said, it’s in its early days, but all indications are that he’s doing a wonderful job.”
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#195 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 3, 2019 2:08 pm

Finally!

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#196 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#197 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce, a long-time NBA assistant, has done a fine job during his first season in the Big Chair. It shows in his team’s overachieving record, but wins aren’t the main point of this season. Pierce is meeting the organizational prime directive of developing the young Hawks, and his team has embraced the play-fast-and-let-it-fly offense that is part of its ethos.

You can see Pierce’s influence when you watch the Hawks play. You also see it with all the touches. I don’t mean passes and deflections, though the Hawks get plenty of those. I’m talking about high-fives.

Pierce is trying to establish togetherness as a program value, one hand slap at a time.

The idea is that, in heated moments, a teammate or coach offering a high-five “disarms” an irritated player. From there “you can speak freely and confidently,” Pierce said.

Cause and effect are difficult to determine when it comes to the mysterious alchemy of team chemistry. But the Hawks have avoided the drama that’s surrounded other teams near the bottom of this season’s standings. (You’ll recall that last season’s Hawks were a bad team that couldn’t do that.)

Spoiler:
The coach has booked a series of VIPs to speak to the team. Visitors have included Nash, ex-Hawks All-Star Dikembe Mutombo, former Atlanta mayor Andrew Young and U.S. Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga.

Pierce also had each Hawks player give a presentation to the team on a topic of their choosing. The Hawks have heard teammates talk about personal tragedies and challenges, artistic pursuits and even a debate on whether the influence of social media is a net good.

^I love this!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,923

Re: Lloyd Pierce expected to become new Hawks Head Coach 

Post#198 » by jayu70 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:31 am

jayu70 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't like the signing. What about Pierce's demeanor or resume indicates that he will turn the Hawks into the GSW of the east?????

Image :D .

Do you still not like the signing bbq99?
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Re: Lloyd Pierce expected to become new Hawks Head Coach 

Post#199 » by peoriabird » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:54 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I don't like the signing. What about Pierce's demeanor or resume indicates that he will turn the Hawks into the GSW of the east?????

Are you KB21?
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#200 » by lethalweapon3 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 pm

What current NBA coach knows a trick to make Steph go Bagel-for-10? Find out who gets name-dropped about 90 seconds in!

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996

Return to Atlanta Hawks