ImageImage

Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

How excited are you at the prospect of this hiring?

Ecstatic! Best choice for the vacancy
48%
Luke Warm. Time will tell...
42%
Completely Unhappy (Bring back Bud)
9%

Total votes: 33

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Lloyd Pierce named new Hawks Head Coach 

Post#61 » by kg01 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:29 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:Any word on his staff yet? I'd love to see Casey on the bench to help CLP get his sea legs under him. Would be a short-term assignment since Casey's likely to HC again, but our guy needs a vet presence to help. What's ol' crogedy Lionel Hollins doing these days?

How about Nash? I guess he's enjoying life too much to bother with coaching

There's no way Nash would be anybody's assistant. That's like asking Grant Hill to be an asst coach. Why would he do that? It'd require more work than he's not getting paid more money to not do. (Yeah, follow that sentence.)

Get that weak sauce outta here, macd. :x
king01 :king:
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#62 » by macd-gm » Tue May 15, 2018 1:43 pm

kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:Any word on his staff yet? I'd love to see Casey on the bench to help CLP get his sea legs under him. Would be a short-term assignment since Casey's likely to HC again, but our guy needs a vet presence to help. What's ol' crogedy Lionel Hollins doing these days?

There's no way Nash would be anybody's assistant. That's like asking Grant Hill to be an asst coach. Why would he do that? It'd require more work than he's not getting paid more money to not do. (Yeah, follow that sentence.)

This sentence describes reading your posts.

It'd require more work than he's not getting paid more money to not do.

:o
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#63 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm

While I agree Nash is unlikely to take a role as FT Assistant, I could see him coming in and working as a mentor/advisor should we grab a guy like Doncic or Trae.

They each share some defensive/athletic limitations but have gotten by on smarts, guile and lights out shooting.
kg01
General Manager

Post#64 » by kg01 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:49 pm

macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:

... you're welcome.

Also, I think you both are overvaluing the fact that Nash and CLP were teammates/friends.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#65 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Michael Cunningham wrote:Q-and-A: Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce oversaw ‘everything’ with Sixers defense

MC: We’ve heard that you oversaw the defense under Brett Brown in Philadelphia. What were your responsibilities?

LP:
Everything. And I say that with humility. Brett empowered me to run our defense. I’m not taking credit from a selfish standpoint. He presented the opportunity to me I think three years ago and said I want to make you the single voice. I am going to rely on that to make the decisions, the executive decisions of what we do in-game and how we prepare. It was more of his empowerment than me leading. But he gave me full autonomy on what we were going to do on the defensive end whether it’s the drills, the game plan—I game-planned for all 82 games—the concepts and kind of creating that defensive culture.

I would come out to the coaches’ huddle and [Coach Brown] would say, “Go tell them what you need, go tell them our coverages, our concepts.” The responsibility he gave to me was a little bit uncomfortable at first because I didn’t know how much he was really going to allow me to take. By the end, by the time I left, our communication still existed but he wanted that single (defensive) voice and he was the one that created that position for me.
myAJC
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#66 » by Spud2nique » Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm

I have a bar of soap for you ready in the bathroom... umm

Ok that sounded weird..

I got a bar of soap for ur mouth in the sink..(still weird..)

Look, just go wash ur mouth somewhere for suggesting Casey ...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#67 » by Jamaaliver » Tue May 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#68 » by macd-gm » Tue May 15, 2018 2:20 pm

kg01 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
kg01 wrote:

... you're welcome.

Also, I think you both are overvaluing the fact that Nash and CLP were teammates/friends.

I was actually just joking about Nash coaching. I think he has things he'd much rather be doing. I think a lot of guys go into coaching because they don't want to leave the lavish lifestyle of the NBA after their playing days are over. Nash doesn't strike me as a guy who cares much about that. Still, if we draft Trae we may want to have him 'consult' a little bit.
kg01
General Manager

Post#69 » by kg01 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

CLP was interviewed on NBARadio this morning. Pretty impressive-sounding dude. Nothing really earth-shattering that we didn't hear in the intro press conference. Spoke about being a hard-working team, 'effort' mattering.

They did not ask about Dennis although I wished they had. When asked about the incoming picks the next couple years, he mentioned there were a couple of young guys already on the roster that he needs to get to know as well.

Was a pretty long(ish) interview mainly was asked a lot of questions about his time in CLE/PHI. Told a few stories about Brett Brown, Embiid, etc. Again, nothing we hadn't heard already. Said it's amazing James is still great after 15 years. Brett Brown empowered him, blah, blah.

He just had a pretty impressive presence about him. Mentioned that the Selltics had some young guys that were contributing at a high level. Suggested that's what he'll be looking for in our young(s). There's no reason you can't come in right away and contribute, STTE
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,863

Post#70 » by DirtybirdGA » Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm

Pierce to throw the first pitch... Who does it the last week in June?

Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,926

Post#71 » by jayu70 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 am

Read on Twitter
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#72 » by Buzzard » Thu May 17, 2018 2:37 am

I like Pierce. Every interview, written or on video, he responded with poise and intelligence. With Schlenk's propensity to be in the background, Pierce is a great fit.

Very view front office people are often in front of the media but a coach is expected to be out front, win or lose, every night. He deserves a shot after over a decade of coaching experience and I hope it works out to perfection for us!
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#73 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 17, 2018 6:13 pm

1. This is messed up.

2. There might be some new assistant coaches becoming available real soon.

3. I bet they might have some insight on the Bucks draft plans...

Read on Twitter
kg01
General Manager

Post#74 » by kg01 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:1. This is messed up.

Read on Twitter

MIL will certainly have a good idea of what we plan to do. Although Coach Buttz has been gone for a little while, he's certainly been privy to what scouting they've done throughout the year. Whatever happened to that non-descript former GM who sat in the chair while Buttz' had POBO duties, btw? Hope he's not a potential leak now.

Prunty would be a good bench-add regardless. The fact that he's basically taking draft notes for the Bucks is just a value-add.

ETA: What TF?! Just realized they pick 2 spots in front of our 19 pick! Ermahgard, it's Giannis all over again!!! Dang you, Larry Drew! Dang you to heck!
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,926

Post#75 » by jayu70 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm

kg01 wrote:

Read on Twitter

MIL will certainly have a good idea of what we plan to do. Although Coach Buttz has been gone for a little while, he's certainly been privy to what scouting they've done throughout the year. Whatever happened to that non-descript former GM who sat in the chair while Buttz' had POBO duties, btw? Hope he's not a potential leak now.

Prunty would be a good bench-add regardless. The fact that he's basically taking draft notes for the Bucks is just a value-add.

ETA: What TF?! Just realized they pick 2 spots in front of our 19 pick! Ermahgard, it's Giannis all over again!!! Dang you, Larry Drew! Dang you to heck!

Did I not mention the whole Bucks pick in front of the Hawks again when the Bud to Bucks surfaced, smh.
kg01
General Manager

Post#76 » by kg01 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:36 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Did I not mention the whole Bucks pick in front of the Hawks again when the Bud to Bucks surfaced, smh.

Dang it, jb. You know I'm only halfway paying attention most of the time. This is horrible. But everybody worry about poor lil Coach Buttz. smdh
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#77 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#78 » by MaceCase » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 pm

kg01 wrote: Whatever happened to that non-descript former GM who sat in the chair while Buttz' had POBO duties, btw? Hope he's not a potential leak now.

Wilcox? He's sitting in one of the business suites playing mahjong with Sund, it appears that the Hawks only really let guys go when they want to go :wink: .

Forgotten tidbit, Wilcox interviewed for the Bucks GM job last summer. It appears that the Bucks outsource all of their intel gathering to the Hawks.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#79 » by Jamaaliver » Fri May 18, 2018 11:55 am

Read on Twitter

Since Budenholzer left, his assistants have remained in Atlanta. Several have helped with pre-draft workouts and several attended the introductory news conference of new head coach Lloyd Pierce on Monday.

Much of the Hawks’ front office and Pierce are in Chicago for the NBA scouting combine following the draft lottery Tuesday.

Pierce said Monday. “As Travis just mentioned, it’s important to really follow through on what you’re talking about and building an organization and having the right people in the organization to address the players, address (principal owner Tony Ressler) and Travis’ vision for the organization. It’s important, and it’s not just about friendships or relationships that you’ve had before. It’s about finding the right people, the right character and the right match.”
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#80 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks