ImageImage

How many Hawks Fans would NOT select Luka Doncic if he somehow fell to #3?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: How many Hawks Fans would NOT select Luka Doncic if he somehow fell to #3? 

Post#181 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 pm

I wonder what Dennis Smith Jr thinks of 'Wonder Boy' leapfrogging him as future franchise centerpiece...

Dirk Nowitzki, Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks are extremely excited about Luka Doncic

After two straight sub-.500, playoff-free seasons, the Dallas Mavericks will enter training camp later this month hoping to make a significant leap up the Western Conference standings. Much of that ambition stems from the arrival of Luka Doncic, the highly touted rookie playmaker the Mavs imported in a draft-night deal with the Atlanta Hawks.

Doncic hits the NBA bearing the burden of great expectations, thanks to the Mavs’ heavy wager — a top-five-protected 2019 first-round draft pick — that he’ll be a transformative figure for a franchise in need of a revival.

... it would seem reasonable to pump the brakes on projecting just how big a difference the new guy’s going to make, and just how soon a 19-year-old will start looking like a savior. The Mavericks, it seems, are going the other way.

“Off of what I’ve seen over the last two days,” Carlisle said last week, “anybody who doesn’t jump on season tickets now is going to sorely regret it later, that’s all I’ll say.”

But Carlisle’s not the only one offering eyebrow-raising raves about everything Doncic might be capable of doing.

“I’m really liking what I’m seeing,” said Mavericks legend Dirk Nowitzki. “He’s incredible with the ball for a big guy. He’s unbelievable in pick-and-roll play. His court vision is already unbelievable. I couldn’t believe what I saw from a 19, 20-year-old. He’s a good shooter when he has time and I think he’s going to be great for us for a long, long time. […]

“He’s an incredible talent. His court vision and passing for his size, at his age, is something I’ve never seen in my 20 years.”

Doncic combines small-ball-power-forward size, a pure point guard’s feel, vision and play-making patience, and a veteran’s understanding of how to manipulate the geometry of the court, all before he’s 20 years old. He appeared, heading into draft night, to be as equipped as any rookie we’ve seen in years to play the game at his speed, rather than struggle to catch up to the tempo everybody else is setting. If he can keep that same pace in Dallas — and, judging by the comments of Carlisle and Nowitzki, the early returns are positive — then maybe there’s no reason to pump the brakes on just how special Luka Doncic can be.
Yahoo Sports
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#182 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I wonder what Dennis Smith Jr thinks of 'Wonder Boy' leapfrogging him as future franchise centerpiece...

Dirk Nowitzki, Rick Carlisle and the Mavericks are extremely excited about Luka Doncic

After two straight sub-.500, playoff-free seasons, the Dallas Mavericks will enter training camp later this month hoping to make a significant leap up the Western Conference standings. Much of that ambition stems from the arrival of Luka Doncic, the highly touted rookie playmaker the Mavs imported in a draft-night deal with the Atlanta Hawks.

Doncic hits the NBA bearing the burden of great expectations, thanks to the Mavs’ heavy wager — a top-five-protected 2019 first-round draft pick — that he’ll be a transformative figure for a franchise in need of a revival.

... it would seem reasonable to pump the brakes on projecting just how big a difference the new guy’s going to make, and just how soon a 19-year-old will start looking like a savior. The Mavericks, it seems, are going the other way.

“Off of what I’ve seen over the last two days,” Carlisle said last week, “anybody who doesn’t [i]jump on season tickets now is going to sorely regret it later, that’s all I’ll say.”[/i]

But Carlisle’s not the only one offering eyebrow-raising raves about everything Doncic might be capable of doing.

“I’m really liking what I’m seeing,” said Mavericks legend Dirk Nowitzki. “He’s incredible with the ball for a big guy. He’s unbelievable in pick-and-roll play. His court vision is already unbelievable. I couldn’t believe what I saw from a 19, 20-year-old. He’s a good shooter when he has time and I think he’s going to be great for us for a long, long time. […]

“He’s an incredible talent. His court vision and passing for his size, at his age, is something I’ve never seen in my 20 years.”

Doncic combines small-ball-power-forward size, a pure point guard’s feel, vision and play-making patience, and a veteran’s understanding of how to manipulate the geometry of the court, all before he’s 20 years old. He appeared, heading into draft night, to be as equipped as any rookie we’ve seen in years to play the game at his speed, rather than struggle to catch up to the tempo everybody else is setting. If he can keep that same pace in Dallas — and, judging by the comments of Carlisle and Nowitzki, the early returns are positive — then maybe there’s no reason to pump the brakes on just how special Luka Doncic can be.
Yahoo Sports

~lol~ Carlisle the great salesman!

If DSJ is willing/comfortable to play off the ball, they could be a good tandem, maybe with DSJ scoring more. That's not too bad. (but won't be good enough to make the playoffs.)
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#183 » by steady » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Doncic is extremely talented. The questions for me are whether he can adapt to the pace, and roughness (fewer fouls called), of the NBA because his game IMO relies at least somewhat on finesse and deliberation.

Can he slow the game down (as the article suggests he will) or will his game be scrambled by trying to keep pace with NBA players.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Man, I hope this trade pays off...

Read on Twitter
CloudWalker
Freshman
And1: 100

Post#185 » by CloudWalker » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:06 am

Honestly, as a supporter of Luka I wish the Mavs pumped the brakes a bit on the "Luka is the future" stuff and all the social media buzz they are creating. It's not only setting fans up for disappointment if he struggles(a real possibility, you just never know), but also puts additional and unnecessary pressure on a rookie. I mean, he was a high draft pick, that's enough pressure as it is, no need to make it harder. On the other hand it's nice to hear positive first impressions from his coach and teammates, of course.
One game does not a player make.

Read on Twitter
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#186 » by ChokeFasncists » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 pm

CloudWalker wrote:Honestly, as a supporter of Luka I wish the Mavs pumped the brakes a bit on the "Luka is the future" stuff and all the social media buzz they are creating. It's not only setting fans up for disappointment if he struggles(a real possibility, you just never know), but also puts additional and unnecessary pressure on a rookie. I mean, he was a high draft pick, that's enough pressure as it is, no need to make it harder. On the other hand it's nice to hear positive first impressions from his coach and teammates, of course.

I suppose the FO has a lot of pressure as well.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#187 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 pm

I don't know what to make of this:

Tim MacMahon, ESPN: The word out of Dallas is that Doncic has often been the best player on the court in pickup games at the Mavs' facility despite not being in great shape by NBA standards. And before you make a crack about the Mavs' talent or lack thereof, these games have included local products like LaMarcus Aldridge. Doncic, a special passer, is the most accomplished Euro teen ever and has a huge advantage over other rookies because he arrives in the NBA as a seasoned pro.
ESPN
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#188 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:43 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't know what to make of this:

Tim MacMahon, ESPN: The word out of Dallas is that Doncic has often been the best player on the court in pickup games at the Mavs' facility despite not being in great shape by NBA standards. And before you make a crack about the Mavs' talent or lack thereof, these games have included local products like LaMarcus Aldridge. Doncic, a special passer, is the most accomplished Euro teen ever and has a huge advantage over other rookies because he arrives in the NBA as a seasoned pro.
ESPN

Doncic is clearly going to be a good player, Trey's got higher ceiling tho. That lottery pick next season could turn out to be a good player as well.
Thanks for the honesty.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,567

Post#189 » by Bob8 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:

ESPN

Doncic is clearly going to be a good player, Trey's got higher ceiling tho.

Because Trae has got better body and is in great shape by Nba standards? :D
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#190 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

ESPN

Doncic is clearly going to be a good player, Trey's got higher ceiling tho.

Because Trey has got better body and is in great shape by Nba standards? :D

Looks like he's in pretty good shape:

He's just a bit small, but not really undersized as a PG.

The main thing he's got is range.

He's also got very good handle and passing skills.

He was one of the greatest college player ever, as a freshman.
Thanks for the honesty.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#191 » by Bob8 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:08 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Doncic is clearly going to be a good player, Trey's got higher ceiling tho.

You might doubt Doncic’s body, athleticism or shape in comparison to some incredible athletes, but not in comparison to Trae. If Doncic cannot guard Pgs, Trae cannot guard them either, with a difference that 6’8”, 230 guy can guard someone else and be of some use in team defense and rebounds. I doubt that Trae will be better assistant or rebounder, or that he will easily beat his opponents. The only way Trae’s ceiling is higher than Doncic’s if you believe Trae would be elite shooter and Doncic bad shooter. But that’s not exactly something given. I believe Doncic can be at least 37% + shooter and Trae is long way from elite.

What if we looked his not the best shape as + for future? Dominating even not being in great shape. Don’t forget that he had something like 3 months less time to prepare for the season than NCAA players. Trae and Doncic won’t never be great athletes but my guess is, if realgm forum writers can get in the shape if we put time and money in, professional basketball player can get too.

I see that many rankings for next season has Doncic in top 100 and nobody has Young in top 100. That must mean something. ;)
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#192 » by hawkmanreturns » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:31 am

Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

You might doubt Doncic’s body, athleticism or shape in comparison to some incredible athletes, but not in comparison to Trey. If Doncic cannot guard Pgs, Trey cannot guard them either, with a difference that 6’8”, 230 guy can guard someone else and be of some use in team defense and rebounds. I doubt that Trey will be better assistant or rebounder, or that he will easily beat his opponents. The only way Trey’s ceiling is higher than Doncic’s if you believe Trey would be elite shooter and Doncic bad shooter. But that’s not exactly something given. I believe Doncic can be at least 37% + shooter and Trey is long way from elite.

What if we looked his not the best shape as + for future? Dominating even not being in great shape. Don’t forget that he had something like 3 months less time to prepare for the season than NCAA players. Trey and Doncic won’t never be great athletes but my guess is, if realgm forum writers can get in the shape if we put time and money in, professional basketball player can get too.

I see that many rankings for next season has Doncic in top 100 and nobody has Young in top 100. That must mean something. ;)

Friendly reminder: We traded Doncic to Dallas on Draft night. Right now, all I care about is how well Trae does in a Hawks uniform and if Dallas will be bad enough to give us their Lottery pick. Any direct Doncic versus Trae comparisons are irrelevant because we didn't trade Doncic for Trae straight up. We traded Doncic for Trae and another potential lottery pick.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#193 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 am

hawkmanreturns wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Looks like he's in pretty good shape:

You might doubt Doncic’s body, athleticism or shape in comparison to some incredible athletes, but not in comparison to Trey. If Doncic cannot guard Pgs, Trey cannot guard them either, with a difference that 6’8”, 230 guy can guard someone else and be of some use in team defense and rebounds. I doubt that Trey will be better assistant or rebounder, or that he will easily beat his opponents. The only way Trey’s ceiling is higher than Doncic’s if you believe Trey would be elite shooter and Doncic bad shooter. But that’s not exactly something given. I believe Doncic can be at least 37% + shooter and Trey is long way from elite.

What if we looked his not the best shape as + for future? Dominating even not being in great shape. Don’t forget that he had something like 3 months less time to prepare for the season than NCAA players. Trey and Doncic won’t never be great athletes but my guess is, if realgm forum writers can get in the shape if we put time and money in, professional basketball player can get too.

Friendly reminder: We traded Doncic to Dallas on Draft night. Right now, all I care about is how well Trae does in a Hawks uniform and if Dallas will be bad enough to give us their Lottery pick. Any direct Doncic versus Trae comparisons are irrelevant because we didn't trade Doncic for Trae straight up. We traded Doncic for Trae and another potential lottery pick.

Friendly reminder, my answer was on claim that Trae has higher ceiling not if trade was good or bad for Hawks. Ceiling thing is more or less only vivid imagination and when comparing 6’1,190 Pg to 6’8, 230 Pg this imagination must be extremely vivid to see 6’1 guy with higher ceiling.
About Doncic’s shape, he played 2 back to back 85+ games seasons, with only 1 month in between and his last season ended only in the end of June. First, that means his body is already prepared for long Nba season and secondly, If everything goes as expected, he will have first time in his career several months to work on his body after this season, so I expect big improvement on his body in 1 year time. Because of that, I see his body as big room for improvement in his game, if he improves his shooting too and I cannot see any reason, why not, his ceiling looks suddenly very high.
Hawks did what they did and I have no reason not to hope Trae plays great. I like Trae actually. But I have a feeling that trade would have never happened if Doncic was playing in NCAA.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#194 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 am

Hmmmm.

Two of the most obnoxious posters I know going head-to-head for the crown?

This is one of those battles..................

where absolutely no one comes out a winner. :noway:

Bob8
General Manager

Post#195 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:48 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Hmmmm.

Two of the most obnoxious posters I know going head-to-head for the crown?

...in the most obnoxious board in the realgm forum. :D

Jamaaliver for the president of USA. 8-)
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#196 » by macd-gm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Pretty sure Luka will not be playing PG for the mavs. It all remains to be seen. Hopefully both guys will be great. We could use some new stars in this league.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#197 » by dms269 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm

ESPN

Are they really citing pick-up games as the determining factor of his success? Escalade would have been a star in the NBA if just given the chance.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#198 » by dms269 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

You might doubt Doncic’s body, athleticism or shape in comparison to some incredible athletes, but not in comparison to Trae. If Doncic cannot guard Pgs, Trae cannot guard them either, with a difference that 6’8”, 230 guy can guard someone else and be of some use in team defense and rebounds. I doubt that Trae will be better assistant or rebounder, or that he will easily beat his opponents. The only way Trae’s ceiling is higher than Doncic’s if you believe Trae would be elite shooter and Doncic bad shooter. But that’s not exactly something given. I believe Doncic can be at least 37% + shooter and Trae is long way from elite.

What if we looked his not the best shape as + for future? Dominating even not being in great shape. Don’t forget that he had something like 3 months less time to prepare for the season than NCAA players. Trae and Doncic won’t never be great athletes but my guess is, if realgm forum writers can get in the shape if we put time and money in, professional basketball player can get too.

As assistant what?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Bob8
General Manager

Post#199 » by Bob8 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:15 pm

dms269 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Looks like he's in pretty good shape:

As assistant what?

I'm not native speaker and I admit my English is not the best, on the other hand I can communicate in 5 different languages and somehow doubt that many Americans, including you, can do that.

I'm sure that you have understood, what I meant with assistant. :wink:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#200 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Return to Atlanta Hawks