ImageImage

How many Hawks Fans would NOT select Luka Doncic if he somehow fell to #3?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Re: How many Hawks Fans would NOT select Luka Doncic if he somehow fell to #3? 

Post#81 » by kg01 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Are you 100% sure about that?

Is this a serious question?

:D

I just needed you to be clear...

Look dude, it's #DraftWeek. We had a vote and decided not to vote you off the island, at this point. I must say though that it was not unanimous.

Step. It. Up.

After your Tavares comments, seems like you're planning #DraftWeak. That ain't gonna fly, bro. :wink:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#82 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm

^You ever consider going back to that other place?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Jonathan Wasserman wrote:1 Sleeper Every Team Should Consider in 2018 NBA Draft

Atlanta Hawks: Luka Doncic (Slovenia, PG/SG, 1999)

Draft pick: No. 3

There is a buzz around the league that if the Phoenix Suns pass on Luka Doncic at No. 1, he could fall to the Memphis Grizzlies at No. 4. The Atlanta Hawks should put that rumor to sleep by jumping on Doncic at No. 3.

The No. 1 prospect on Bleacher Report's overall big board, Doncic would also bring credibility to a Hawks backcourt that features Dennis Schroder, whose production does not reflect his value.

Even if the Hawks keep Schroder, who's best attacking the rim, Doncic would be a fitting partner because of his size, passing, shooting and competitiveness.
Bleacher Report
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#84 » by kg01 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^You ever consider going back to that other place?

:lol:

Man, that's hurtful.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:02 pm

An in-depth piece on Slovenia's Golden Boy.

Mina Kimes wrote:Luka Doncic Is No Darko Milicic

"Wonder Boy" is heading to the NBA, and he's out to change how we think about European imports.

Outside of Europe, Doncic (pronounced dawn-chich) was still an abstraction, a set of inscrutable numbers paired with a name. Then in September, he came face-to-face with Kristaps Porzingis -- and his fabled existence suddenly felt real.

When Slovenia played Latvia in the Eurobasket quarterfinals, Doncic and Porzingis went shot for shot. Then, halfway through the fourth quarter, the two crossed paths -- and for a moment, time stopped.

Ironically, Doncic might be the most known quantity in basketball. Given his age, Doncic's production is almost unprecedented; rotations in the EuroLeague run deeper than they do in the NBA, which makes it hard for young players to tally meaningful minutes. (Several executives told me that the typical EuroLeague team would crush collegiate competition.) According to ESPN's Kevin Pelton, Doncic has the highest wins above replacement player (WARP) projection of any European prospect since 2006, when data became available. Based on Pelton's calculations, which take into account age and how other European prospects' statistics have translated to NBA production, Doncic's WARP projection isn't just higher than Ricky Rubio's and Nikola Jokic's -- it's also the highest projection on record, even besting that of a young Anthony Davis.

By the numbers alone, Doncic is practically a sure thing.

...the question isn't whether the Slovenian teenager will bust -- almost no one thinks that. Rather, it's whether his ceiling is high enough to justify drafting him above the likes of Deandre Ayton and Marvin Bagley III. While Doncic is hardly plodding, he isn't exceptionally quick or strong.

...when NBA insiders criticize Doncic's game, they're quick to add that they're nitpicking. He might be limited on defense, but he can still play multiple spots on the floor, sliding seamlessly into the league's amorphous lineups.
ESPN

Spoiler:
And pics of Mirjam Doncic :love: :love:

#dibs
#YouWillBeMineMrsDoncic

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

NBA Draft 2018 Scouting Profile: Luka Dončić

Armed with his IQ, handle, passing skills, and off-the-dribble shot, Luka is primed to be a high-level scorer and an ideal playmaking wing for the modern NBA game

Summary: Luka Dončić has dominated the spotlight in Europe since he was 16 years old, and used his elite basketball IQ, shooting ability, and excellent passing instincts to become the most accomplished European draft prospect in history. His versatile skillset make him one of the safest and higher-ceiling players in the class, as he looks nowhere near done growing as a scorer. He has some defensive limitations, especially when teams attack him on switches, but he’s got the size to match up against most wings. He’s an ideal fit for the modern NBA offense, and there aren’t many 19-year-olds with his feel for the game and competitive fire.

Offensive Breakdown: Dončić’s greatest skill on the court is his incredible basketball IQ, instincts, and awareness, all of which are far beyond normal for a 19-year-old. His success in the pick-and-roll shows this best, as such plays were a massive part of Real Madrid’s battle plan with Dončić at the helm.

At 6’7” (or taller... check this picture of him with Jeff Taylor [6’7.25” at the 2012 NBA combine], or this shot with Vlade Divac [was 7’1” in his prime]), Dončić gets an excellent vantage of the whole court and can make the right reads out of the pick-and-roll and traps. He doesn’t have an explosive first step, but he’s a really shifty handler and covers ground fairly quickly. He depends more on his creativity and handle than elite physical ball handlers, but his body coordination and fluidity are underrated physical tools for a kid who has been branded with the ‘un-athletic’ label.

Dončić thrives in a fast-paced offense, and can get up the court in a hurry when he’s pushing or running with the breakaway. He’s going to be a shot-in-the-arm for any team looking to increase their pace due to his determination alone.

That said, finishing at the rim is a concern for Dončić going forward as he adjusts to the new physical realities of the NBA world. he struggle to get great separation from NBA defenders, and he’ll need to figure out plenty of ways to compensate for this. Ideally in the NBA, he’ll play with as many floor spacers as possible, and in a heavy screening system designed to open lanes and backdoors to the hoop.
Sacramento SB Nation
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#87 » by hawkmanreturns » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 pm

This whole Doncic thing seems like a trap. Way too much hype for someone projected as the next Toni Kukoc or Hedo Turkoglu. Is that really what we are looking for out of this Draft? How is he any better than prime Joe Johnson who was also a good passer and a better athlete?
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#88 » by D21 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:55 pm

hawkmanreturns wrote:How is he any better than prime Joe Johnson who was also a good passer and a better athlete?

What's the point to compare Doncic at 19 with "prime Joe Johnson" ? Just compare him with Joe Johnson at 19
Sure Joe, even younger, had more athleticism, but if Joe had the winning passion of Kobe or Jordan, and with better support or better coaching during his prime, he would have been a beast. He had all the natural gift to be a mega-star
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#90 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Honestly, I really prefer to play point guard, to have the ball in my hands and play for other people,” Doncic told Yahoo Sports. “Playing from the one to the four, that’s the strength that I have over everyone. I want to play for my teammates and make them better. I really prefer to have the ball in my hands, and play for everybody else. I will do anything for my team. I’m happy when I can play point. It’s easier for me. I can fight more in the post and create for my teammates.

NBA executives believe Doncic translates as a point guard or point forward on offense,
and they believe the transition for him must come on the other end as a multi-position defender. They’ve sifted through possible comparisons for Doncic, and for perhaps his best one executives don’t need to ask anyone other than Doncic’s agent. Bill Duffy also represented two-time NBA MVP Steve Nash and believes in the similarities between Nash and the much taller, bigger Doncic: vision, pick-and-roll playmaking and 3-point shooting.

“I see that from myself, to be like Steve Nash,” Doncic told Yahoo Sports.

Doncic paused for a moment.

“I wouldn’t mind LeBron as my comparison, actually,” he said with a laugh.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,907

Post#92 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:36 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#93 » by atlantabbq99 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:21 am

hawkmanreturns wrote:This whole Doncic thing seems like a trap. Way too much hype for someone projected as the next Toni Kukoc or Hedo Turkoglu. Is that really what we are looking for out of this Draft? How is he any better than prime Joe Johnson who was also a good passer and a better athlete?

I agree and have called Luka a rich man’s Kukoc and Kukoc could be a great player in today’s NBA. Just like how Curry would just be a slightly above average player if the NBA went back to the illegal defense rules
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#94 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:I agree and have called Luka a rich man’s Kukoc and Kukoc could be a great player in today’s NBA. Just like how Curry would just be a slightly above average player if the NBA went back to the illegal defense rules

You mean if the NBA went back to before the 'Hand check rule' when defenders could maul perimeter players at will?

Illegal defense, IIRC, was basically teams misusing a zone defense to deny penetration to bigs or slashers.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#95 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:48 am

This sounds about right:

Good Teams Love Luka Doncic, Bad Teams Hate Him

Luka Doncic is projected to go No. 4 in the latest ESPN Mock Draft. Jonathan Givony was asked about whether that projection will hold up.

"That's how it looks right now, unless somebody trades up," said Jonathan Givony on the Lowe Post Podcast. "Unless one of these really good playoff teams decides (to trade up). "I think the good teams love him. The bad teams hate him. That's what I'm getting so for."

Doncic is as low as No. 8 on some teams boards.
RealGM Wiretap

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM

Post#96 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pacehawk
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#97 » by pacehawk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I will be very disappointed if Doncic gets picked at #2 BUT will be even more disappointed if he doesn't get picked at #2 (Or, #1) and the Hawks don't choose him! I can't wait until Thursday Night so we can get this Madness (Wait!) over with!!!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#98 » by jayu70 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Love this kids personality, hahaha.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#99 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 am

Hawks Considering Luka Doncic At No. 3

JUN 19, 2018 9:27 PM
ADRIAN WOJNAROWSKI/ESPN
The Atlanta Hawks have held internal discussion about selecting Luka Doncic with the third overall pick.

The Hawks had previously been zeroed in on Marvin Bagley and Jaren Jackson Jr.

The Sacramento Kings remain a mystery at who they will select at No. 2.

This is great news!!! Or at the very least encouraging. With that drama now put away, Hawks can now focus on how to move up from 19 to select another quality prospect like Carter, Young, or Bridges.
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#100 » by azuresou1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:31 am

Can we talk about how one of Doncic's biggest knocks is his inability to generate separation due to his athleticism, but everyone overlooks how MPJ has middle school handles and takes even more contested jumpers? And that while Doncic couldn't consistently separate in Euroleague, MPJ couldn't even separate at the prep level?

Return to Atlanta Hawks