Re: 2018 NBA Draft Grades 

Post#23 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:F U Pau u gimp!

c'mon, Spudlous.

Fight those bad instincts...

Spoiler:
Embrace the angel on your shoulder.

I know I’m honestly so much better than that. But I’m also a bit of a Draymond a hole quick tempered.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#24 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:35 pm

NBA Draft Grades 2018: Mavericks and Hawks soar while Wizards and Grizzlies stumble

Hawks

5. Trae Young | Oklahoma | Fr | PG | 6-2 | 178 (via trade with Mavericks)
19. Kevin Huerter | Maryland | Soph | SG | 6-7 | 194
30. Omari Spellman | Villanova | Fr | C | 6-10 | 254

Sign me up for the direction the Hawks are headed. By adding Trae Young, they bolstered their talent with a true point guard who doubles as a deep threat anytime he's on the court, and gave him a super weapon by drafting sharpshooter Kevin Huerter at 19. I think Omari Spellman at 30 may have been a tad high, but he's a big man with the ability to stretch the floor.

Grade: A+
CBS Sports
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#25 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm

Not sure why...but I love this photo. Trae and Omari already seem to have some chemistry building off the court.

This season's gonna be fun.

NOTE: All three of these guys look pretty fly on their first day of work.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#26 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Draft Reactions

Atlanta Hawks

Traded #3 for #5 Trae Young and future 1-5 protected Dallas first, drafted Kevin Huerter #19, drafted Omari Spellman #30.

A weird draft for me to evaluate. In a vacuum, I love the Trae pick and am a fan of the Huerter selection. Spellman is also a fine selection. Getting a future 1st in a trade from 3-to-5 is generally a good value proposition. But passing on a chance at taking Luka is hard to stomach. Luka is in a tier of his own in this draft, and if Trae doesn’t hit big (which he very well could) this move could come back to bite them.

Atlanta fans should be excited about the talent they acquired. The parallels between Trae/Huerter and Steph/Klay are fun. Trae will be given the freedom to do his thing, but don’t give up on him if he struggles out of the gate. He is the type of player who might take some time to adjust to the NBA. I’m not particularly higher or lower on Trae or Huerter than I was pre-draft. Trae and John Collins could be a fun pick-and-roll duo. The trade is a potentially disastrous move, but Atlanta did about as good a job of mitigating passing on Doncic as possible.
The Stepien
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#27 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Draft Reactions

Atlanta Hawks

Traded #3 for #5 Trae Young and future 1-5 protected Dallas first, drafted Kevin Huerter #19, drafted Omari Spellman #30.

A weird draft for me to evaluate. In a vacuum, I love the Trae pick and am a fan of the Huerter selection. Spellman is also a fine selection. Getting a future 1st in a trade from 3-to-5 is generally a good value proposition. But passing on a chance at taking Luka is hard to stomach. Luka is in a tier of his own in this draft, and if Trae doesn’t hit big (which he very well could) this move could come back to bite them.

Atlanta fans should be excited about the talent they acquired. The parallels between Trae/Huerter and Steph/Klay are fun. Trae will be given the freedom to do his thing, but don’t give up on him if he struggles out of the gate. He is the type of player who might take some time to adjust to the NBA. I’m not particularly higher or lower on Trae or Huerter than I was pre-draft. Trae and John Collins could be a fun pick-and-roll duo. The trade is a potentially disastrous move, but Atlanta did about as good a job of mitigating passing on Doncic as possible.
The Stepien

Seems to me Doncic has higher floor but lower ceiling, vice versa for Trae, it's tough decision. Getting a FRP out of it, that's definitely a big plus.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 2, 2018 3:13 pm

From Bleacher Report:

Early Impressions of Every NBA Team's 1st-Round Picks Entering 2018 Preseason

Atlanta Hawks

Trae Young, pick No. 5

The pressure might have hit Young early in summer league, but he eventually got comfortable, finishing with at least 20 points in three of his final four games.

To score in volume, he'll need his three-ball to fall. Without length or explosiveness, it will be tough for him to convert around the key and basket. There will be games in which Young catches fire and others in which he struggles mightily from the field.

However, as long as he's given the freedom to dominate the ball, Young's playmaking should be consistent. He's a terrific passer off ball screens and penetration, and his assist game should immediately carry over.

He'll get exposed defensively and athletically. And Young won't shoot an efficient percentage, either inside the arc or behind it. He's still too skilled as a shot-maker and facilitator, and he projects as one of the most productive rookies for 2018-19.

Omari Spellman, pick No. 30

Spellman had some impressive stretches of summer league, flashing more than just shooting range. He still needs to improve his body, but he looked quicker off the dribble and facing up.

He'll start the year backing up John Collins, though the No. 30 pick could also log minutes at center for his shot-blocking length and ability to stretch the floor.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#29 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 4:01 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:From Bleacher Report:

Early Impressions of Every NBA Team's 1st-Round Picks Entering 2018 Preseason

Atlanta Hawks

Trae Young, pick No. 5

The pressure might have hit Young early in summer league, but he eventually got comfortable, finishing with at least 20 points in three of his final four games.

To score in volume, he'll need his three-ball to fall. Without length or explosiveness, it will be tough for him to convert around the key and basket. There will be games in which Young catches fire and others in which he struggles mightily from the field.

However, as long as he's given the freedom to dominate the ball, Young's playmaking should be consistent. He's a terrific passer off ball screens and penetration, and his assist game should immediately carry over.

He'll get exposed defensively and athletically. And Young won't shoot an efficient percentage, either inside the arc or behind it. He's still too skilled as a shot-maker and facilitator, and he projects as one of the most productive rookies for 2018-19.

Omari Spellman, pick No. 30

Spellman had some impressive stretches of summer league, flashing more than just shooting range. He still needs to improve his body, but he looked quicker off the dribble and facing up.

He'll start the year backing up John Collins, though the No. 30 pick could also log minutes at center for his shot-blocking length and ability to stretch the floor.

Where's the forgotten man, Huerter?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#30 » by Jamaaliver » Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Two years later, the Luka trade is still a point of contention.
But we still managed to snag 2 of the top dozen talents from a strong draft class.

Solid work by T Schlenk.

Read on Twitter

2. Trae Young | PG

The win column doesn’t show it yet, but Trae Young is a franchise centerpiece in Atlanta. He’s one of the best young offensive initiators in the league, and his ceiling still feels pretty far off, given how he can still work to add strength, discipline and any defensive value. The limitless shooting range he offers opens up his dribble-drive game to give him finishing opportunities he wouldn’t have otherwise, and his passing continues to be the most underrated elite skill in the league. Looking back, Young was one of the easier evaluations in the draft class, at least for getting to this point; his passing was diverse enough to translate, the shooting would probably work out, and that combination was going to be enough to allow him to finish at an okay rate and be a primary creator, even if his defense stunk. Looking forward, it’s only a question now of what level he can reach. Is he a Kyrie Irving-level initiator, who raises the floor of a team but struggles to be a consistent impact player at the upper ends of team building? Or is he on the Steve Nash/Stephen Curry spectrum of elite shooter/passers who you can win a title with? His defense is probably what unlocks that answer.

8. Kevin Huerter | SF

Kevin Huerter checks a lot of the same boxes as Mikal Bridges, but has shown some higher skill level that could indicate a more valuable ceiling. I had a very poor read on the diversity of Huerter’s offensive game at Maryland — he looked like a one-dimensional shooter, but he’s proven to be able to use his athleticism more effectively than anticipated, allowing him to turn his passing ability into a legitimate weapon. He’s been a very easy fit with the Hawks’ system, and probably has a baseline of being an effective, complementary offensive weapon. But with how his ball-handling, decision-making, and defensive ability have improved in his second season, there’s potential that he has latent upside that can turn him into a Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris type as a second or third option offensively. While Bridges is probably better now, Huerter feels like a better bet to continue to grow at his current pace offensively, and that probably makes him the answer to the question “Which guy can make an average team good?” rather than being a good complement on a team surrounding him with elite talent.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#31 » by shakes0 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Not sure why...but I love this photo. Trae and Omari already seem to have some chemistry building off the court.

This season's gonna be fun.

holy crap, where's the other half of Omari?
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#32 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Two years later, the Luka trade is still a point of contention.
But we still managed to snag 2 of the top dozen talents from a strong draft class.

Solid work by T Schlenk.

Read on Twitter

2. Trae Young | PG

The win column doesn’t show it yet, but Trae Young is a franchise centerpiece in Atlanta. He’s one of the best young offensive initiators in the league, and his ceiling still feels pretty far off, given how he can still work to add strength, discipline and any defensive value. The limitless shooting range he offers opens up his dribble-drive game to give him finishing opportunities he wouldn’t have otherwise, and his passing continues to be the most underrated elite skill in the league. Looking back, Young was one of the easier evaluations in the draft class, at least for getting to this point; his passing was diverse enough to translate, the shooting would probably work out, and that combination was going to be enough to allow him to finish at an okay rate and be a primary creator, even if his defense stunk. Looking forward, it’s only a question now of what level he can reach. Is he a Kyrie Irving-level initiator, who raises the floor of a team but struggles to be a consistent impact player at the upper ends of team building? Or is he on the Steve Nash/Stephen Curry spectrum of elite shooter/passers who you can win a title with? His defense is probably what unlocks that answer.

8. Kevin Huerter | SF

Kevin Huerter checks a lot of the same boxes as Mikal Bridges, but has shown some higher skill level that could indicate a more valuable ceiling. I had a very poor read on the diversity of Huerter’s offensive game at Maryland — he looked like a one-dimensional shooter, but he’s proven to be able to use his athleticism more effectively than anticipated, allowing him to turn his passing ability into a legitimate weapon. He’s been a very easy fit with the Hawks’ system, and probably has a baseline of being an effective, complementary offensive weapon. But with how his ball-handling, decision-making, and defensive ability have improved in his second season, there’s potential that he has latent upside that can turn him into a Khris Middleton or Tobias Harris type as a second or third option offensively. While Bridges is probably better now, Huerter feels like a better bet to continue to grow at his current pace offensively, and that probably makes him the answer to the question “Which guy can make an average team good?” rather than being a good complement on a team surrounding him with elite talent.

Two years ago I was furious, now two years later, I still end up being right :banghead:
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by shakes0 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:00 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Two years later, the Luka trade is still a point of contention.

Solid work by T Schlenk.

Read on Twitter

2. Trae Young | PG

8. Kevin Huerter | SF

Two years ago I was furious, now two years later, I still end up being right :banghead:

How were you right? You gave a grade of F+ to a draft that netted Trae, Huerter and the pick that nabbed Cam Reddish. Sure you can prefer Doncic and no one will fault you, but to say you were right in your post is pretty ridiculous. If you maybe gave the draft a high C or low B because you prefer Doncic I can accept that, but to give it a F+, that's probably the worsts post in this thread.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am

shakes0 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

Solid work by T Schlenk.

Read on Twitter

How were you right? You gave a grade of F+ to a draft that netted Trae, Huerter and the pick that nabbed Cam Reddish. Sure you can prefer Doncic and no one will fault you, but to say you were right in your post is pretty ridiculous. If you maybe gave the draft a high C or low B because you prefer Doncic I can accept that, but to give it a F+, that's probably the worsts post in this thread.

Are you kidding me?! how delusional are you??? Luka in only his second year is already getting MVP votes and is a full year younger than Trae.

You can check my old post, I said Luka is a poor man's Magic Johnson. How good am I looking now with that prediction (I also called Trae more Steve Nash than Step Curry, and I'm looking good on that too especially with Trae's defense).

You are wrong about Huerter, he has nothing to do with the Luka trade, but if you need that cause you think it will win your argument, that's fine, i'll let you have it.

I don't care how many all stars you draft, you never trade away a, sure thing, future MVP candidate, especially a perennial MVP candidate. Because the NBA is a star driven league and MVPs are the ones who win a championship and not a collection of good players. If that was the case then Joe, Horford, Josh, and Bibby should have won championships over Lebron numerous times.

I hope I'm wrong, Trae will be good, but he will only reach the same level of accomplishments and championships as Nash. For me I don't care about being "good" or a contender, championships are the only thing that matter to me.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by shakes0 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:55 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

Are you kidding me?! how delusional are you??? Luka in only his second year is already getting MVP votes and is a full year younger than Trae.

You can check my old post, I said Luka is a poor man's Magic Johnson. How good am I looking now with that prediction (I also called Trae more Steve Nash than Step Curry, and I'm looking good on that too especially with Trae's defense).

You are wrong about Huerter, he has nothing to do with the Luka trade, but if you need that cause you think it will win your argument, that's fine, i'll let you have it.

I don't care how many all stars you draft, you never trade away a, sure thing, future MVP candidate, especially a perennial MVP candidate. Because the NBA is a star driven league and MVPs are the ones who win a championship and not a collection of good players. If that was the case then Joe, Horford, Josh, and Bibby should have won championships over Lebron numerous times.

I hope I'm wrong, Trae will be good, but he will only reach the same level of accomplishments and championships as Nash. For me I don't care about being "good" or a contender, championships are the only thing that matter to me.

*says Hawks screwed up getting rid of a Doncic because Doncic is an MVP candidate
*says you never pass up on drafting an MVP candidate
*says Trae will only reach the same level of accomplishments as Nash
*Nash won 2 MVPs

I'm not giving you credit for predicting that Doncic would be Magic Johnson lite when approximately half the draft predictions I read said Doncic would be Magic Johnson lite.

Huerter obviously had nothing to do with the trade, but you gave the entire draft an F+ and Huerter was obviously part of that draft so WTF are you talking about?

If you want to say you were just grading the trade that's fine, but it's still a ridiculous grade. Luka is an MVP candidate, Trae isn't exactly chopped liver. He could easily end up on an all NBA team this year. He's 4th in the league in scoring, 2nd in assists. he's obviously on his way to superstar perennial all star franchise player status. Will he ever be an MVP candidate? maybe, maybe not. But to say he is so much worse than Luka as to warrant a F+ is ridiculous. Throw in Reddish who looks like he has the potential to be fantastic player in his own right and your draft grade looks even more ridiculous.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#36 » by jayu70 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Plus Cam Reddish.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:10 pm

shakes0 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

*says Hawks screwed up getting rid of a Doncic because Doncic is an MVP candidate
*Nash won 2 MVPs

I'm not giving you credit for predicting that Doncic would be Magic Johnson lite when approximately half the draft predictions I read said that Doncic could be Magic Johnson lite.

Huerter obviously had nothing to do with the trade, but you gave the entire draft an F+ and Huerter was obviously part of that draft so WTF are you talking about?

If you want to say you were just grading the trade that's fine, but it's still a ridiculous grade. Luka is an MVP candidate, Trae isn't exactly chopped liver. He could easily end up on an all NBA team this year. He's 4th in the league in scoring, 2nd in assists. he's obviously on his way to superstar perennial all star franchise player status. Will he ever be an MVP candidate? maybe, maybe not. But to say he is so much worse than Luka as to warrant a F+ is ridiculous. Throw in Reddish who looks like he has the potential to be fantastic player in his own right and your draft grade looks even more ridiculous.

Wrong again. Before the draft people were just calling Luka, Kukoc or Manu. Nobody else was calling him Magic or Bird like me. You can look in any thread or draft website and not one person is saying Magic or Bird.

You can look at any old board and you won't be finding any Magic or Bird comparisons like I was doing...
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1525009
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1646786
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1683998
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1584464
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by shakes0 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:46 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:

*Nash won 2 MVPs

I'm not giving you credit for predicting that Doncic would be Magic Johnson lite when approximately half the draft predictions I read said that Doncic could be Magic Johnson lite.

Wrong again. Before the draft people were just calling Luka, Kukoc or Manu. Nobody else was calling him Magic or Bird like me. You can look in any thread or draft website and not one person is saying Magic or Bird.

You can look at any old board and you won't be finding any Magic or Bird comparisons like I was doing...

That's your takeaway from my post? That is literally the least significant part of the discussion. Also, I'm not reading through a bunch of old threads. I also notice you didn't post any links to your comments about Luka, but I don't care because what you thought of Luka before the draft has no relation to the F+ draft grade you gave the Hawks.

If you want to comment on the parts of the post that are actually substantive and relative to the debate I'll hear you out.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by atlantabbq99 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:09 am

shakes0 wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:

*Nash won 2 MVPs

That's your takeaway from my post? That is literally the least significant part of the discussion. Also, I'm not reading through a bunch of old threads. I also notice you didn't post any links to your comments about Luka, but I don't care because what you thought of Luka before the draft has no relation to the F+ draft grade you gave the Hawks.

If you want to comment on the parts of the post that are actually substantive and relative to the debate I'll hear you out.

Are you kidding me, how dumb are u?! That is the whole point to all of this, when you identify Magic or Bird in the draft, a guy who will not only win you championships but create dynasties for you, you take him and keep him! You do not trade away Magic or Bird for anything, especially for a couple of "maybe" all stars. When a clear cut prospect falls to you like a Lebron, Shaq, Duncan, etc, you DO NOT TRADE HIM AWAY for some average all stars like a Carmelo and other fringe maybe all stars.

If you identify a prospect to be just an okay all star like Manu or Klay or Beal, then ya, go ahead and trade him for Trae and some other low lottery picks, but the next Magic, the next perennial MVP candidate, the next generational player, you DO NOT TRADE HIM AWAY!

It is clear you don't know anything about the NBA and basketball and you don't have the IQ to understand very simple concepts. :noway:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Sat May 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Alright fellas, let's wrap this up.

We've moved from impassioned debate to petty arguing and personal attacks.

Besides, we have another whole draft to prep for...eventually.

Return to Atlanta Hawks