ImageImage

How to pick a bust...

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

~Wretch~
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Re: How to pick a bust... 

Post#21 » by ~Wretch~ » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I am skeptical as well.

I would suggest at least holding off until Summer League.

Let us see what Coach Pierce and Young Trae have in store..

Just to be clear, I never have and never will be a "hater." Once a guy puts on the Hawks jersey, I'm in his corner until he takes it off. I'm very much a wait and see kind of guy (you all should have seen me defending Childress, Marvin, and Teague eons ago) - and I'm the same way with coaches/GM's. Albeit with a lower tolerance.

I like Trae and I'm anxious to see if his positives translate. I'm also quietly optimistic about that pick next year. My issue is with HOW we made this pick. Falling in love with a player is bad enough, but it's a terrible idea for a GM to fall in love with a guy on a short-sighted player comparison. He has insane range, he scores a lot of points, he's a 6' guard...wow he's a lot like Steph Curry. SOLD!

Even the best comparisons hardly ever play out, yet there's always a GM that does it. I'm really hoping that's not what we did with Trae...but the signs are there. We got the guy from Golden State, he said he's trying to emulate that success here, and we look like what Golden State was doing. We also passed on a very logical choice for a guy with some big question marks that..."looks like Steph Curry."

Hoping for the best, but I'm not getting my hopes too high.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:42 pm

:dontknow:

I'm lukewarm on the Trae selection. But I like the pairing of Young and Huerter.

And I respect that Trav is willing to put it all on the line.

If it blows up...he deserves all th criticism that reigns down.

But that 2019 pick somewhat mitigates the risk.
djjob23
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#23 » by djjob23 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 pm

I feel the same way about Young and Salim (god I hope I’m wrong). It just feels like draft night was an ode to ATL’s past draft failures...

Doncic trade... Pau trade
Young... Salim Stoudamire
Huerter... John Jenkins
Spellman... Adreian Payne

This was THE DRAFT! Next year won’t be nearly as strong. Anything out of top 5 next year is comparable to a mid 20’s pick this year.

Let’s just hope that the Hawks saw an unbelievable work ethic and mental toughness in Young. But as OP said, this rebuild is gonna be rough if Schlenk has his blinders on.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,978

Post#24 » by Archx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 pm

reazun wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I've said this a few months ago and I've believe this for a decade now, in that, you draft the most talented player, but if you identify a guy with an insane Jordan or Kobe like work ethic, like going to the gym at 4am, and sacrificing your family life and kids just for practice like Jordan and Kobe, then you take the insane work ethic guy over the guy who is alittle bit more talented.

I think Doncic is easily the best player, better than Trae Young, but I've never meet the two guys, and in the work outs and scouting, "IF" they identified Trae Young as that insane work ethic guy, then I would have probably done the same and taken Young over Doncic, and Bagley. This has remain to be seen yet and we will have to wait.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

Trae Young = I want to be the best that ever played. I want to be a role model to all the kids out there.

Luka Doncic = I will make the teams that passed on me sorry.

Luka seems to think he has arrived. No the NBA is a different animal in regards to athleticism. He is going to have to work hard to play at the same level as the ACB b/c, although his is talented, his deficiencies will come out that did not come out in Euroball..I am not saying ACB is not a premier and tough league. Its more competition than the NCAA, but its a different game and it hides his deficiencies, those same deficiencies will be exploited in the NBA if he is not teachable, humble, and willing to work hard. He has to change his game. He has to play wing, he wont be able to see over opposing players as easily b/c his height advantage will be diminished. As a wing, he needs to learn to shoot the 3, etc, etc.

Hmm i don't understand quite frankly what you are trying to prove here but... Yes it is true, game is different. But you are probably not aware that Luka went up against higher players per average in EU than Trae went in the NCAA. Higher and tougher opponents i must add. He played 1-4 already with Real Madrid, i think he has a ton of experience how to adapt properly.

Also, he said 10000 times by now that his role model is Lebron and he wants to get as strong as he is one day. Which means countless hours of gym/conditioning training. Also needs to improve handles/shooting. I am not saying he will be a monster like LBJ but it tells us that he is willing to work hard.

He knows nothing but winning championships, and collecting MVP trophies along the way, since he was 10y old. Then he moved to Spain at 13 and continued in minor leagues with same success, winning everything, all the way up to seniors.

I mean, questioning the motor from a guy who started playing bball since he could walk and has won countless titles/championships along the way is kinda silly :P They even asked him how he feels going from a winning team to a rebuilding team and he said it will be tough to adjust. His mentality is win win win.

I get that you are trying to justify the trade in favor of Young but no matter how you spin it, right now it looks like ATL blew the draft. Only time will tell if Young can be better than Luka.
Rocketsbaby
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#25 » by Rocketsbaby » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 pm

Hard not to do a worse job rebuilding than the hawks have done thus far. Welp, tiem for some panic signings!
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#26 » by reazun » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Archx wrote:
reazun wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:I've said this a few months ago and I've believe this for a decade now, in that, you draft the most talented player, but if you identify a guy with an insane Jordan or Kobe like work ethic, like going to the gym at 4am, and sacrificing your family life and kids just for practice like Jordan and Kobe, then you take the insane work ethic guy over the guy who is alittle bit more talented.

I think Doncic is easily the best player, better than Trae Young, but I've never meet the two guys, and in the work outs and scouting, "IF" they identified Trae Young as that insane work ethic guy, then I would have probably done the same and taken Young over Doncic, and Bagley. This has remain to be seen yet and we will have to wait.

Say it louder for the people in the back!

Trae Young = I want to be the best that ever played. I want to be a role model to all the kids out there.

Luka Doncic = I will make the teams that passed on me sorry.

Luka seems to think he has arrived. No the NBA is a different animal in regards to athleticism. He is going to have to work hard to play at the same level as the ACB b/c, although his is talented, his deficiencies will come out that did not come out in Euroball..I am not saying ACB is not a premier and tough league. Its more competition than the NCAA, but its a different game and it hides his deficiencies, those same deficiencies will be exploited in the NBA if he is not teachable, humble, and willing to work hard. He has to change his game. He has to play wing, he wont be able to see over opposing players as easily b/c his height advantage will be diminished. As a wing, he needs to learn to shoot the 3, etc, etc.

Hmm i don't understand quite frankly what you are trying to prove here but... Yes it is true, game is different. But you are probably not aware that Luka went up against higher players per average in EU than Trae went in the NCAA. Higher and tougher opponents i must add. He played 1-4 already with Real Madrid, i think he has a ton of experience how to adapt properly.

Also, he said 10000 times by now that his role model is Lebron and he wants to get as strong as he is one day. Which means countless hours of gym/conditioning training. Also needs to improve handles/shooting. I am not saying he will be a monster like LBJ but it tells us that he is willing to work hard.

He knows nothing but winning championships, and collecting MVP trophies along the way, since he was 10y old. Then he moved to Spain at 13 and continued in minor leagues with same success, winning everything, all the way up to seniors.

I mean, questioning the motor from a guy who started playing bball since he could walk and has won countless titles/championships along the way is kinda silly :P They even asked him how he feels going from a winning team to a rebuilding team and he said it will be tough to adjust. His mentality is win win win.

I get that you are trying to justify the trade in favor of Young but no matter how you spin it, right now it looks like ATL blew the draft. Only time will tell if Young can be better than Luka.

I am very aware that Luka went up against tougher players in EU than Trae in NCAA. I actually said that in my post that you quoted. They are tougher and better, but EU ball is not as explosive and athletic. This is why retired NBA players go to EU once their athleticism declines. This is why a spot up shooter in the NBA (Gary Neal) can become the most versatile scorer and an offensive monster in EU. He was 3rd in MVP voting for Liga ACB last year. He couldnt get a second 10 day contract in Atlanta. Why b/c although Neal is skilled, he is relegated to a spot up shooter in the NBA b/c his lack of athleticsm. This deficicnecy does not show in EU ball. Is EU ball more skilled than the NCAA, are they better players? YES!! are they more Athletic. NO!!. Luka's one flaw is the one thing that is hidden in EU ball and exploited in the NBA.I am not saying Luka will be anywhere near Gary Neal. He will be much much better. I think he is a future all star. I am not comparing the two in that way, but I am saying they both have the same flaw..and that flaw does not translate well in the NBA. Particulary for guards. He can work out and get strong like Lebron all he wants, strenght is not athleticsm. He can get conditioning all he wants, conditioning is not athleticism. And I am not questioning Luka's motor. I am (admittedly with too little info) potentially questioning his coachability. I can be wrong, but I see Luka as a potential all star. but I see Trae as a potential all star..would I pick Trae over Luka..nope, Trae is more risky imo. but I think the first round pick added on makes it worth the risk. but thats just me.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#27 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Rocketsbaby wrote:Hard not to do a worse job rebuilding than the hawks have done thus far. Welp, tiem for some panic signings!

Meh.

We're still collecting assets. IDK if Trae works out, but we still are stacked with draft picks, cap space and other young prospects.

We didn't go all-in on Doncic last night. And we're still looking at the same prognosis and short-term future:

A lottery pick next year and a slow, long, painful "Process".
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#28 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:23 pm

reazun wrote:...would I pick Trae over Luka..nope, Trae is more risky imo. but I think the first round pick added on makes it worth the risk. but thats just me.

This being so massively overlooked. Had we drafted Trae at #3, that would have been a major reach.

But at #5 with another pick on the way...much more palatable.

His passing is on par with Luka's. But his shooting/scoring is far superior. Losing should be less painful to watch next season.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#29 » by macd-gm » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm not totally following the criticism that Trae is too hyped. Luka seemed way more hyped than Trae. Luka has been hyped for a year now as some unicorn when he could easily end up being just a decent nba player like so many guys who had great success in other leagues.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 979

Post#30 » by Geaux_Hawks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:56 pm

Even if 2019 is weak(I personally think it's better than what most), we're getting a lotto selection. It only takes one guy everyone overlooked for that pick to turn into a steal to go along with Trae and whoever we draft. It's even a trade asset as well.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#31 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 pm

macd-gm wrote:I'm not totally following the criticism that Trae is too hyped. Luka seemed way more hyped than Trae. Luka has been hyped for a year now as some unicorn when he could easily end up being just a decent nba player like so many guys who had great success in other leagues.

I'm not going to bother comparing the two, but the amount of scrutiny & media attention Trae received last year was ridiculous for an 18 year old on a middling college team.

That will only increase next season.

NOTE: Simple solution we won't utilize: Send him to Erie for a few months.

I fully expect a circus at the start of the season with all the air time/hype this kid will endure.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#32 » by macd-gm » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
macd-gm wrote:I'm not totally following the criticism that Trae is too hyped. Luka seemed way more hyped than Trae. Luka has been hyped for a year now as some unicorn when he could easily end up being just a decent nba player like so many guys who had great success in other leagues.

I'm not going to bother comparing the two, but the amount of scrutiny media attention Trae received last year was ridiculous for an 18 year old on middling college team.

That will only increase next season.

NOTE: Simple solution we won't utilize: Send him to Erie for a few months.

I fully expect a circus at the start of the season with all the air time/hype this kid will endure.

I'm not worried. He's not a hot head like Dennis. Our expectations for the season will be low. We are in the generating excitement game now. I think we got it right.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#33 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 pm

Rocketsbaby wrote:Hard not to do a worse job rebuilding than the hawks have done thus far. Welp, tiem for some panic signings!

Chris Paul is a wuss who should have suited up but he has no heart. Have a good one!
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#34 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Why are you here?
king01 :king:
kg01
General Manager

Post#35 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

Chris Paul is a wuss who should have suited up but he has no heart. Have a good one!

How long before this gentleman realizes last year was the high-watermark for that HOU team. Meanwhile, Paul is about to bank a max deal so they'll be paying him $40mil as a 38yo.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#36 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 pm

kg01 wrote:Paul is about to bank a max deal so they'll be paying him $40mil as a 38yo.

Meh. Morey ain't no fool.

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#37 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:01 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

How long before this gentleman realizes last year was the high-watermark for that HOU team. Meanwhile, Paul is about to bank a max deal so they'll be paying him $40mil as a 38yo.

He’s just mad cuz it’s humid.
kg01
General Manager

Post#38 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Paul is about to bank a max deal so they'll be paying him $40mil as a 38yo.

Meh. Morey ain't no fool.

Read on Twitter

Do you live to kill fun for me?
kg01
General Manager

Post#39 » by kg01 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 pm

~Wretch~ wrote:Let me preface this by saying that I actually like Trae Young. His quickness and the range on his jumper is legit. I'm not afraid of his size (I had the same arguments for Chris Paul 13 years ago). More importantly, he's a Hawk now and all those other prospects are the enemy. So I wish him nothing but the best. This post isn't about Trae...it's about how you shoot yourself in the face trying to get cute in the draft.

Seriously, how many times is a guy "James Worthy with a jumpshot" or "Baby Jordan" or "The next LeBron James" or "KD 2.0?" And how many times does that player actually become THAT player? In my 30 year experience, it almost never happens. What I've seen in the draft is consensus guys/generational talent going on to become great NBA players and sleepers who slide and eventually blossom. These players always set a standard and like lemmings, GMs are always lining up trying to find the next iteration of them. But it's never the second coming of Jesus Shuttlesworth that they find (little OG reference there :lol:).

You don't put the blinders on and chase one idea - such as an all 6'8" team or one player because you think he's the next Tim Duncan. You take the 6'8" kid who has been leading a professional team for years, who can shoot the ball and finish in the lane. He's the guy that'll set the standard and have GM's scrambling to find the next one. You take Luca. That's the guy to pick. You don't pass on that guy because you have the blinders on and all you see is Steph Curry 2.0. :noway: That is how you pick a bust and it haunts you for years to come.

Not saying Trae will bust, because again...I do like him. However, from all the pre-draft mocks and rumors, it seems like our GM was locked in on him and nobody else. If he pans out and we end up with a good lottery pick next year, I'll breathe a sigh of relief. It's not a total loss. Though, the ATL Sports Fan in me just expects the worst and this is a surefire way to stir up the curse.

Another classic by our guy @wretch. I'd been saying all this in the days leading up to the draft. Never, ever draft for 'the next'. Never works out. Never.

ETA: I'm sure I speak for many when I say the squawk needs you.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#40 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:32 pm

kg01 wrote:Do you live to kill fun for me?

:(

I keep forgetting that when you yell outrageous things, you don't actually mean them.

Return to Atlanta Hawks