RealGM
And1: 11,924

Re: Welcome to ATL Trae Young 

Post#321 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:59 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
Sorry for not being clear.

I think the Hawks should be focused on identifying and nurturing elite talent because it’s elite talent that contend for championships (not just good or great, but superstar elite). If you don’t make the correct assessments of talent, you consign yourself to treadmill team status, always making the playoffs but never good enough to get beyond the 2nd round. This was a problem for the Horford/Millsap/Teague teams. Players get called “superstars” whether it’s for marketing reasons, or due to physical gifts, or volume stats, or draft position. John Wall, Kemba Walker, Demarr DeRozan, KA Towns, Blake Griffin, D’Angelo Russell, etc.

I think one of the best ways to assess for elite talent is through efficiency numbers, specifically shooting percentages (FG, 3PT, FT), as well as other counting stats.

Some players have poor efficiency stats but good counting stats, like Wall or Westbrook. They amaze you highlight dunks and triple doubles, but they make baskets inefficiently.

But the championship players have good counting stats AND efficiency stats, like Curry, Durant, Lebron, etc.

Trae is already at risk of being more like Wall than Curry. If this happens, and the Hawks don’t act on it, they’re at risk of being like the Wizards. Sometimes, management realizes these things but don't act on it due to immediate pressures to win or fill seats.

6 games
You do understand that the Hawks haven't been in the lottery for the past 10 years right. Schlenk so far has done a good job in his first draft. How do you nurture elite talent without them playing the games.
6 games
You can only make those assessments based on a large enough sample set of games played over time. 6 games into his professional career is not a large enough sample to determine what his efficiency will or won't be. Add to that, better talent around him where there isn't a need for him to take ill advised shots since nobody else can or is willing.

The games have to be played. All I'm expecting is improvement over the course of the season as he grows into his role. His decision making in setting up plays for his teammates is already on point. He needs to balance that with learning what's a decent shot, time and circumstance of when to let it fly etc. - all this comes with experience.

While doing all this, we expect him to delight us with his potential shooting outbursts and passing.
6 GAMES!!!

Yeah, point taken about it just being 6 games. But based on my look at Trae's college stats, see below, Trae already had a red flag on him coming into the season.

Trae Young XX/XX/XX --- XX/XX/XX --- 42/36
[/quote]
6 games!!!
If you'll already made up your mind about what he'll become then there is no point in furthering this discussion today.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#322 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:02 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
jayu70 wrote:6 games
You do understand that the Hawks haven't been in the lottery for the past 10 years right. Schlenk so far has done a good job in his first draft. How do you nurture elite talent without them playing the games.
6 games
You can only make those assessments based on a large enough sample set of games played over time. 6 games into his professional career is not a large enough sample to determine what his efficiency will or won't be. Add to that, better talent around him where there isn't a need for him to take ill advised shots since nobody else can or is willing.

The games have to be played. All I'm expecting is improvement over the course of the season as he grows into his role. His decision making in setting up plays for his teammates is already on point. He needs to balance that with learning what's a decent shot, time and circumstance of when to let it fly etc. - all this comes with experience.

While doing all this, we expect him to delight us with his potential shooting outbursts and passing.
6 GAMES!!!

Yeah, point taken about it just being 6 games. But based on my look at Trae's college stats, see below, Trae already had a red flag on him coming into the season.

6 games!!!
If you'll already made up your mind about what he'll become then there is no point in furthering this discussion today.[/quote]

6 games!!! (+32 college games!!!) + relative pro and college stats of many other NBA PGs.

I haven't made up my mind, I just have a hypothesis based on empirical evidence. Just seeing how the hypothesis plays out. If someone had a 2.8 GPA in high school, it doesn't mean I give up on him after 6 days in college. But it does mean I'll pay extra attention to see if he could use some extra guidance or tutoring.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#323 » by J_T » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:38 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

6 games!!!
If you'll already made up your mind about what he'll become then there is no point in furthering this discussion today.

6 games!!! (+32 college games!!!) + relative pro and college stats of many other NBA PGs.

I haven't made up my mind, I just have a hypothesis based on empirical evidence. Just seeing how the hypothesis plays out. If someone had a 2.8 GPA in high school, it doesn't mean I give up on him after 6 days in college. But it does mean I'll pay extra attention to see if he could use some extra guidance or tutoring.

But what is your hypothesis? I don't see any predictions and there is no obvious pattern. Are you saying that Trae Young will be bellow 40%FG and 32% 3PT or something?
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#324 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 am

J_T wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

6 games!!!

But what is your hypothesis? I don't see any predictions and there is no obvious pattern. Are you saying that Trae Young will be bellow 40%FG and 32% 3PT or something?[/quote]

My hypothesis is that college stats are generally predictive of pro stats, and that Trae's 42% FG in college, albeit one year, is a red flag for his pro efficiency. Every starting PG on my list averaged at least 43% FG in college, and the real superstars averaged higher than that. I'm saying that his college FG% does not bode well for his pro FG%, and if that's the case, that doesn't bode well for his ability to become elite.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#325 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:17 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:My hypothesis is that college stats are generally predictive of pro stats, and that Trae's 42% FG in college, albeit one year, is a red flag for his pro efficiency. Every starting PG on my list averaged at least 43% FG in college, and the real superstars averaged higher than that. I'm saying that his college FG% does not bode well for his pro FG%, and if that's the case, that doesn't bode well for his ability to become elite.

Roy...

please don't ever leave. :kiss
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#326 » by macd-gm » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:10 pm

Now at 43%/34% 7 games into his career. Honestly I'd expect about this, maybe a little higher for the season but most guys improve their shooting percentages with nba experience. So I'd say we're off to a great start.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#327 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:33 pm

More than stats, I’m impressed by Trae’s confidence and even-keeled, upbeat nature. He didn’t let Taurean and Bazemore’s sloppiness last night get him down. I’m not sure how his stats will play out, but mentally speaking, Trae is already a star.
On the downside, Trae has played 7 games so far. 5 were duds in terms of shooting efficiency. 2 were fantastic. Both of the fantastic games were against CLE. Let’s see how things play out.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#328 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:More than stats, I’m impressed by Trae’s confidence and even-keeled, upbeat nature. He didn’t let Taurean and Bazemore’s sloppiness last night get him down. I’m not sure how his stats will play out, but mentally speaking, Trae is already a star.
On the downside, Trae has played 7 games so far. 5 were duds in terms of shooting efficiency. 2 were fantastic. Both of the fantastic games were against CLE. Let’s see how things play out.

I was just talking to one of my buddies about this. I really like how he's conducted himself so far.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#329 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#330 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:58 pm

Read on Twitter

The Atlanta Hawks used to have a box-office attraction in Dominique Wilkins. With his acrobatic jams and high-scoring games, fans all over the nation paid to see “The Human Highlight Film.”

Many stars have represented the Hawks since the days of Wilkins, but none garnered the excitement Wilkins did league-wide.

Enter Trae Young, the Hawks’ rookie point guard and fifth overall pick in the 2018 NBA draft.

“The thing I love about him is his attitude as far as his toughness," said Wilkins, who is now a TV analyst for the Hawks. "He’s not afraid of the moments. And that is what star players are made of.”

High praise coming from the Hawks’ all-time leading scorer, who was also a nine-time All-Star and two-time slam dunk champion.

It remains to be seen whether Young will have the same kind of success as Wilkins in Atlanta, but he is ready for the challenge.

“Two years ago, at this time, I was about to start my senior year in high school and I was hearing that folks had me the fourth- or fifth-best point guard in my class,” Young said. “People weren’t even talking about me being an NBA player. It’s crazy how things can change in just two years. It definitely has changed a lot.”
jayu70
RealGM

Post#331 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:17 am

Read on Twitter
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#332 » by MaceCase » Sun Nov 4, 2018 10:21 am

jayu70 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was really rocking with it up until I read the "made threes" part. I went from "wow! not even LeBron, Magic, or Oscar did that before?!" to "oh this some arbitrary stat selection..."
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#333 » by Roy Tarpley » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:23 pm

I don't mind Trae's TO numbers too much. He's a high usage rookie PG, he's gonna have a high TO rate. That'll get better with time. I'd rather Trae be aggressive and collect a few TO on the way. But I can't stand Taurean and Bazemore's TOs, they should not be handling the ball so much.

I'm also pleased that Trae's FG% is pretty solid -- I think it's because he's driving a lot. The disappointing part is actually his 3pt shooting, it's pretty pedestrian for someone voted the best 3pt shooter in his class.
Robo_Claw
Senior
And1: 639

Post#334 » by Robo_Claw » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:13 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote: But I can't stand Taurean and Bazemore's TOs, they should not be handling the ball so much.

join the club, baze has been trying to do too much since he got that big contract.
norcocredo wrote:It's called the basketball hall of fame not the life hall of fame.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#335 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Sun Nov 4, 2018 3:38 pm

Trae Young posting 24 and 15 on a Win, while going through his rookie mistakes

shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#336 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:37 pm

Been a joy to see how well Trae has started out the year. Can't wait for Collins to come back so he actually has someone good to pass to.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#337 » by kg01 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:44 pm

Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Trae Young posting 24 and 15 on a Win, while going through his rookie mistakes

I "borrowed" that for my avatar on another Hawks site.
king01 :king:
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#338 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Mon Nov 5, 2018 7:46 pm

kg01 wrote:
Mauro Pedrosa wrote:Trae Young posting 24 and 15 on a Win, while going through his rookie mistakes

I "borrowed" that for my avatar on another Hawks site.

No problem ;) My photoshops are meant to be used by the community
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#339 » by shakes0 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 8:35 pm

It really is amazing to think about how a year ago at this time Trae was relatively unknown. Sure he was a top 25 recruit nationally, but he was at the bottom of that top 25. No one predicted he would be a one and one or even a 2 and done. To go from that relatively anonymity to being a national sensation in just a few months and then to follow that up by being a high lotto pick and instantly the best player and face of the franchise on an NBA team...it really is amazing how mature and level headed he is and how well he deals with the pressure.

Not too many superstar athletes can match their mindset to their skill set, let alone to do that after not expecting it and getting ready for it years in advance like so many other top prospects. It really is amazing and easily the most impressive part of Trae's game so far.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#340 » by steady » Mon Nov 5, 2018 8:42 pm

Trae and Luka after 9 games

Points - 19.1 and 19.4
Rebs - 3.2 and 6.6
Assists - 7.9 and 4.6
Shooting %s - 43.8 and 32.1 (3ptrs) and 46.7 and 39.3 (3ptrs)
FTs% - 75.6 ad 69.4

eFG - 50.4 and 55.6
PER - 16.0 and 15.3
WS - 0.3 and 0.2

Return to Atlanta Hawks