Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Re: 2018-2019 Roster/Line-Up Predictions 

Post#81 » by Spud2nique » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:57 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Taurean has already surpassed DMC, the last half of the season he displayed his offensive potential the DMC never has.
John Collins, Amare Stoudemire with range and defense
Trae - more Steve Nash with his vision and passing. Iverson was a great funisher at the rim Trae isnt. Terry not the passer Trae is.
Spellman - Green
Heurter - Mike Millee or Gordon Hayward.

I just don't get the Trae/Nash comparisons, except that Trae said he wanted to be more like Nash than Curry.

Nash was a pass first PG; Trae is a ball-pounding, shoot first PG.
Nash was an elite efficiency shooter; Trae will have to work a lot if he wants to achieve the 49/43/90 career of Nash.

If passing and vision are the only things that make the two comparable, we might as well compare Trae to Kendall Marshall or Isiah Thomas or Kevin Johnson.

I agree that Prince is already ahead of DMC.

Trae said Nash was his idol growing up snd patterned his game after him. GmmM Schlenk said one of the reasons he liked Trae was his ability to make quick reads from the PnR and make that play with either hand. The scoring burden will not be on Trae like in OKC so hopefully his decision making can improve.
For your viewing pleasure:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

A passing savant, yes!
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#82 » by steady » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm

dms269 wrote:
Atlanta has the following players under contract for next season:

PG:
Lin
Young
Adams (2 way)

SG:
Bazemore
Dorsey
Huerter

SF:
Prince
Bembry
Anderson
Vince Carter
Daniel Hamilton
Alex Poythress (2 way)

PF:
Collins
Spellman

C:
Dedmon
Len
Plumlee

Delaney, White, Taylor, Cavanaugh, and Magette all are not returning.

Adding Poythress to above. So now just two roster spots remain.

Edit - updated with today’s signings
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#83 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Welcome all! I’m just trying to see who I recognize in the crowd.

Hey yo... wassup y'all?! I am a long time avid NBA fan and serious bball poster. Quit about 10 years ago cuz of work and the rigging. Linsanity brought me back to watching the NBA, absolutely unreal time! After a while, when I needed to take a break from work, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to post again as a Lin fan? It would be a rare opportunity to meet different people, converse with knowledgeable posters and get to know other communities besides the teams I have always been supporting. The dynamic would be pretty interesting as well. Been posting a lot in the Wiretap forum since Lin was out (just discovered it) and I do recognize a lot of you, hello! So here I am, loving it so far, good posters abound, peeps real cool and chill here.

Hey, just a sidenote, have been wondering for a long time if your handle is purely basketball related or it has something to do with Russian?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#84 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:05 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:Welcome all! I’m just trying to see who I recognize in the crowd.

Hey yo... wassup y'all?! I am a long time avid NBA fan and serious bball poster. Quit about 10 years ago cuz of work and the rigging. Linsanity brought me back to watching the NBA, absolutely unreal time! After a while, when I needed to take a break from work, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to post again as a Lin fan? It would be a rare opportunity to meet different people, converse with knowledgeable posters and get to know other communities besides the teams I have always been supporting. The dynamic would be pretty interesting as well. Been posting a lot in the Wiretap forum since Lin was out (just discovered it) and I do recognize a lot of you, hello! So here I am, loving it so far, good posters abound, peeps real cool and chill here.

Hey, just a sidenote, have been wondering for a long time if your handle is purely basketball related or it has something to do with Russian?

Man, his handle can not be more hawks related than anything... why Russian?
Spud Webb and Dominique Wilkins two dunk champions from the hawks...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#85 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

Yea, that's what I was saying, "purely basketball related".

But every time I see it I think of:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_crisis

Is it purely a coincidence? :D
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#86 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:27 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Hey yo... wassup y'all?! I am a long time avid NBA fan and serious bball poster. Quit about 10 years ago cuz of work and the rigging. Linsanity brought me back to watching the NBA, absolutely unreal time! After a while, when I needed to take a break from work, I thought, wouldn't it be cool to post again as a Lin fan? It would be a rare opportunity to meet different people, converse with knowledgeable posters and get to know other communities besides the teams I have always been supporting. The dynamic would be pretty interesting as well. Been posting a lot in the Wiretap forum since Lin was out (just discovered it) and I do recognize a lot of you, hello! So here I am, loving it so far, good posters abound, peeps real cool and chill here.

that's an interesting coincidence
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#87 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:

So you guys get rid of Luc and Trevor for Melo? Wow. Good luck with that! It’s wont be purely a coincidence if you come up short again, it’ll be by design.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#88 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:52 am

Spud2nique wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Yea, that's what I was saying, "purely basketball related".

So you guys get rid of Luc and Trevor for Melo? Wow. Good luck with that! It’s wont be purely a coincidence if you come up short again, it’ll be by design.

Ummm.....you talk in a cryptic way......KGB......
Thanks for the honesty.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#89 » by Spud2nique » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:20 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:

Ummm.....you talk in a cryptic way......KGB......

Nice try
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#90 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:52 am

C Dedmon (28) / Len (10) / Plumlee (10)
PF Collins (30) / Spellman (8) / Carter (6) / Anderson (4)
SF Prince (32) / Carter (10) / Anderson (6)
SG Bazemore (30) / Dorsey (14) / Lin (4)
PG Young (26) / Lin (22)

The minutes distribution I'm hoping for.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#91 » by steady » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:36 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:C Dedmon (28) / Len (10) / Plumlee (10)
PF Collins (30) / Spellman (8) / Carter (6) / Anderson (4)
SF Prince (32) / Carter (10) / Anderson (6)
SG Bazemore (30) / Dorsey (14) / Lin (4)
PG Young (26) / Lin (22)

The minutes distribution I'm hoping for.

My guess is that Len probably gets a few more minutes and Plum maybe less

And what about when Huerter is back from hand injury? :-)
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#92 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:35 am

No Bembry or Huerter?
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#93 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:34 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:No Bembry or Huerter?

I don't like Bembry and his 51% FT. Huerter will get some time but I feel like it'll be minimal and only if someone else gets injured.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#94 » by macd-gm » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
PerkinsFor3 wrote:No Bembry or Huerter?

I don't like Bembry and his 51% FT. Huerter will get some time but I feel like it'll be minimal and only if someone else gets injured.

I'm feeling like Heurter is going to pretty quickly relegate Dorsey to the bench.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#95 » by graymule » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm

:D

BIG IF: If Bazemore is traded away, Kevin Huerter will be his replacement.

:nod:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#96 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Hopefully, a year from now we'll be substantially higher on this list with a backcourt of Trae Young and Cam Reddish ready to take the league by storm.

I still support starting Lin and Bazemore at season's start. With Dorsey, Collins, Trae and Spellman playing heavy roles in the offense.

The Best Backcourt Duos in the Eastern Conference, Ranked

Guard play is the bedrock of modern NBA systems, but which team in the East has the strongest tandem at the point of attack?

14. Atlanta Hawks — Trae Young and Kent Bazemore

There will be a lot of turnover over the course of the season among the backcourts at the bottom of the East. Atlanta, like Cleveland, has an established veteran (Jeremy Lin) at point, but he’s just keeping the seat warm for the point guard (Trae Young) whom they acquired in the draft lottery. Young will benefit from playing next to Lin, but it’s hard to see the Hawks taking Bazemore, one of their only good defenders, out of the starting lineup. This team is in full-on tank mode, so both Lin and Bazemore could be gone by the trade deadline.
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#97 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 am

12 players with only 0-3 years of experience? Damn.

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#98 » by jayu70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:12 players with only 0-3 years of experience? Damn.

Read on Twitter

That should not be surprising when rebuilding.
We added 4 rookies in one year which alone is 1/3 of that number.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#99 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:52 am

Hopefully, a year from now we'll be substantially higher on this list, too.

(I'm still dreaming of all the possibilities of a John Collins -- Wendell Carter, Jr. pairing, tho. :cry: )

The Best Frontcourt Duos in the Eastern Conference, Ranked

In a positionless NBA, there is greater diversity in the power forward and center positions than ever before. The 15 teams in the East are a good reflection of that. But which team’s duo reigns supreme?

14. Atlanta Hawks—John Collins and Alex Len

Collins, a hyper-athletic young big man, is one of the only building blocks in Atlanta after a rookie season where he averaged 10.5 points on 57.6 percent shooting and 7.3 rebounds per game. New Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce has to decide [whether] Collins is a 4—which means playing him with reclamation projects like Len—or a 5—which means moving a combo forward like Taurean Prince up the positional spectrum.

Collins can run and jump with anyone, but he could be stuck between positions until he either develops a 3-point shot or becomes more of an interior defender.
The Ringer

Based on what I've seen/heard, I get the feeling Travis isn't overly concerned with production from the center position. Meaning, I suspect we'll see a revolving door of journeymen and role players manning the front court spot next to J Collins moving forward.

Also, no mention of Dedmon?
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#100 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:12 players with only 0-3 years of experience? Damn.

Read on Twitter

That should not be surprising when rebuilding.
We added 4 rookies in one year which alone is 1/3 of that number.

The 2004-05 Phoenix Suns had a distribution of R, R, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 8, 8, 11, 12 (11 players with 0-3 years of experience) and won 62 games. So you're saying there's a chaaaaaaaaance!

Return to Atlanta Hawks