Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Linsanity ATL 

Post#141 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:41 pm

reazun wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
reazun wrote:anyways, I have a podcast affiliated with a sports podcast network based in Atlanta.

...but I dont know if I am allowed to promote my own podcast on this board. If the mods say its okay, Ill let you know the name. If not..sorry lol.

How is this the first time we're hearing this?

Spoiler:
Put some spoiler blocks on that link, homey and hook us up!!!!

Its a small network called Trackstarz Sports. here is the newest episode. its funny bc 2 weeks ago, I actually referenced the article that you posted about having patience with Trae b/c he is a point guard. Before discussing the article I said that “I was browsing RealGM, which is a great forum for those that don’t know about it, and a very smart poster on there mentioned this article” So I didn’t use your name, but I wanted to source where i got my information so you kinda made it into one episode. lol.. If I do that that again, maybe Ill use names..but it seemed weird since I only know handles. I try to get my info and research from other sources, but every once and a while my info will come from an article or something posted here.

Spoiler:
bit.ly/2KYnKVq

At first, I thought @jamallly called you 'honey'. That would've been sweet. I'll check it out. Mind if we share this with the 'honeys' on the squawk? I'm probably gonna do it anyway. :lol:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#142 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#143 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

My stab at an answer:

Read on Twitter
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,927

Post#144 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most Hawks fans are wondering the same.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#145 » by steady » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm

reazun wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
reazun wrote:anyways, I have a podcast affiliated with a sports podcast network based in Atlanta.

...but I dont know if I am allowed to promote my own podcast on this board. If the mods say its okay, Ill let you know the name. If not..sorry lol.

Spoiler:

Its a small network called Trackstarz Sports. here is the newest episode. its funny bc 2 weeks ago, I actually referenced the article that you posted about having patience with Trae b/c he is a point guard. Before discussing the article I said that “I was browsing RealGM, which is a great forum for those that don’t know about it, and a very smart poster on there mentioned this article” So I didn’t use your name, but I wanted to source where i got my information so you kinda made it into one episode. lol.. If I do that that again, maybe Ill use names..but it seemed weird since I only know handles. I try to get my info and research from other sources, but every once and a while my info will come from an article or something posted here.

Spoiler:
bit.ly/2KYnKVq

reazun - this is good stuff, man. In depth, researched - your knowledge of things Lin surprised me. I will be checking out your stuff.

That quote from Igoudala about Chelsea Lane stayed in my mind too.

--

Re cap space implications of trade for Lin, I hear you. I think a lot of Lin fans including me were just as confused about the trade -- from a cap perspective for ATL - as Hawks fans. :-) We get it.

Your explanation is the best one I have heard about the trade.
reazun
Pro Prospect
And1: 140

Post#146 » by reazun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm

kg01 wrote:
reazun wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
bit.ly/2KYnKVq

At first, I thought @jamallly called you 'honey'. That would've been sweet. I'll check it out. Mind if we share this with the 'honeys' on the squawk? I'm probably gonna do it anyway. :lol:

no problem, thanks
reazun
Pro Prospect

Post#147 » by reazun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:42 pm

steady wrote:
reazun - this is good stuff, man. In depth, researched - your knowledge of things Lin surprised me. I will be checking out your stuff.

--

Re cap space implications of trade for Lin, I hear you. I think a lot of Lin fans including me were just as confused about the trade -- from a cap perspective for ATL - as Hawks fans. :-) We get it.

thanks! I appreciate it
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#148 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:54 pm

reazun wrote:
steady wrote:

--

thanks! I appreciate it

Good episode, a lot more knowledgeable about the facts.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#149 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most Hawks fans are wondering the same.

Lin fans were wondering about this too... I think only your front office and/or owner know it, but they probably would not tell you the real reason they trade for Lin...
my guess:
1, The Hawks are rebuilding.... winning is not as important as developing a good team culture and your young players...
it is kinda like a stealth tanking... still try hard, but can't win games... an injured lin who is a good locker room guy, works hard, never gives up, but can't win more games for you...fits the bill
2, Losing really hurts your moral, hurt the attendance .... Trae Young and Jeremy Lin will help you sell tickets...

If I were Lin, I would not want to be in a situation like this ... I bet Lin will not finish the season as a Hawks...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
steady
Veteran

Post#150 » by steady » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 pm

sprost
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#151 » by sprost » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Everyone seems to assume Lin will be injured and not back to his old self.

That's not what Lin has been saying in the past months about his rehab, not what Nets coaches viewing him corroborated, and probably not the medical/analytics hard evidence Hawks were shown behind the scenes before they agreed to this deal that is not available fully to the public when Nets evaluated him recently in workouts. Lin says he will be certainly ready "to beast" with "no problems" come training camp, and that he's built his body up in an improved way from the ground up. I'd say the odds are slightly in his favor he can perform now in his prime having just turned 30 as good as ever.

And If indeed good as 2016-17 that is starting calibre pg at very good cost , as was the opinion of the peachtree hoops podcast analysts posted over the weekend, that he will be a major contributor with a good shot at starting and playing much even alongside Trae and that if healthy that "a good argument could be made he is the best player on the roster".

This deal was high upside with very low risk as an expiring, whether he has a future with the team or worth good assets for the future before the trading deadline for a contender. I myself don't see it as crazy as most of the smart conventional wisdom that this team doesn't have the talent with a very healthy Lin to compete for the East 8th. Smart money says by beginning of he season Hawks figure out some way to offload Schroeder which all sources suggest they are trying their darndest to do.
kastuul
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#152 » by kastuul » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 am

I couldn't believe the trade before it happened.
Lin is still recovering from serious injury and it hurts the Schroder trade.
SuperKato
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#153 » by SuperKato » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:09 am

Hi Jeremy Lin fan here, I am not going to speculate how Lin will perform, because I have not watch him play 5 vs 5 since injury.
But from Lin fan perspective, Jeremy Lin is a very very very good Pick N Roll point guard. He never have a team make up that played to his strength. But the Hawks team has lots of great Pick N Roll players like John Collins , Dwayne Dedman, Ken Bazemore. This is the best fitting team for Jeremy. I prefer Jeremy Lin come off the bench and slowly get his physical body fully tuned. He is a GREAT DEFENSIVE "stalky" point guard, ask Kemba Walker, he would tell ya.
But nobody knows how he will play until we saw him play 5 vs 5.

For inspiring video, this video is very motivational, no matter if you are Lin fan or not.

https://youtu.be/2WDK6NCsxzo

One thing for sure, Lin would be a GREAT HELP for Trae Young. They play very similar style, loves to go to the right. Trae Young said he is more similar to Steve Nash, well guess what, Jeremy Lin has been training with Steve Nash a few summers. Also Jeremy Lin could really really help Trae Young "adapt" to the NBA defensive schemes.
Lin is a great mentor and a great strategist, just ask every one in Brooklyn Nets.
Lin plays well in DUO guard situation. e.g. Kemba Walker and Lin always finish off the game together.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#154 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:57 am

Linsane in the membrane... LINSANE IN THE BRAIN!
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#155 » by birdlives_ma » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 am

With summer league's lessons still fresh, I think some of what we saw from Trae could explain this move. Trae really needs a good secondary ball handler on the court with him to take full advantage of the way he's guarded all the way up the floor, and the best stretches we had were often with him and a smaller 2 like dorsey or adams on the floor with him. Neither really look like they're up to that job full time at the NBA level, and Lin has the potential to slot into that role nicely if he's healthy. And whether he ends up being a player for us or not, he retains value as an expiring contract.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#156 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am

Read on Twitter

Hawks add ‘high-character’ Jeremy Lin, continue to seek trades for Dennis Schroder

The Hawks executed a trade last week in which they acquired point guard Jeremy Lin from the Nets. As part of the deal the Hawks also received a second-round draft pick in 2025 and the chance to get a better second-round pick in 2020, but Lin is the centerpiece.

So why did the Hawks trade for Lin?

“We had the opportunity to add a veteran point guard to the locker room,” Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk said.

With Schroder’s eventual departure in the works, Schlenk decided to acquire Lin as his replacement. I’m guessing Schlenk didn’t believe he could get a point guard back when and if he trades Schroder and he also apparently didn’t like the cheaper point guards available on the free-agent market.

Schlenk decided to acquire a veteran point guard now and he believes Lin is a good fit for the Hawks. Adding Lin is the latest indication that, no matter what the Hawks say, Schroder’s days as their point guard are nearing an end.
AJC.com

Sounds like Travis just really likes Lin as an addition to the team and locker room. In his opinion, presumably, adding Lin to assist with Trae's development and running the team offense is greater than the benefit of adding a fourth 1st round pick next year.

I don't know that I agree...but it is noteworthy.
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#157 » by macd-gm » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Sounds like Travis just really likes Lin as an addition to the team and locker room. In his opinion, presumably, adding Lin to assist with Trae's development and running the team offense is greater than the benefit of adding a fourth 1st round pick next year.

I don't know that I agree...but it is noteworthy.

steady
Veteran

Post#158 » by steady » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I agree with above posts by Jamaaliver and bird lives

This is also true. (Although defense is not as bad as commonly thought)

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#159 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:22 pm

sprost wrote:Everyone seems to assume Lin will be injured and not back to his old self.

That's not what Lin has been saying in the past months about his rehab, not what Nets coaches viewing him corroborated, and probably not the medical/analytics hard evidence Hawks were shown behind the scenes before they agreed to this deal that is not available fully to the public when Nets evaluated him recently in workouts.

Read on Twitter

Jeremy Lin missed 127 games the last two years, including the last 81 last season. And the Nets – before trading Lin to Atlanta – apparently weren’t convinced he’d be fully healthy next season.

"there was internal concern about whether he would have been ready for the start of camp"
NY Post

The Hawks had a right to give Lin a physical before finalizing the trade. Every indication is they did and he passed.

The prevailing opinion is the Hawks acquired Lin as an attention-grabber.

It isn’t necessarily the “wrong” move. I would have rather gotten the picks, but I’m not the one who makes money on Hawks ticket sales and TV ratings. I get the appeal of Lin.

But that works only if he stays healthy.
reazun
Pro Prospect

Post#160 » by reazun » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:30 pm

Im not opposed to holding on to Dennis a little while longer and bringing Lin back slowly. He should be back before camp, and he plans on it..but no need to give him heavy minutes right out the gate. Unless we are absolutely sure he can handle it.

I dont know if this article was posted yet, but it shows where Lin currently is in his rehab. This was written last week

https://www.netsdaily.com/2018/7/12/17564018/jeremy-lin-talks-rehab-still-no-5-on-5-contact-but-lots-of-progress

Return to Atlanta Hawks