Mavs & Cavs Draft Pick Watch

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Re: Mavs & Cavs Draft Pick Watch 

Post#41 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:26 pm

steady wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I've already given up on that pick converting to us this year.

I'm already looking at who we can trade to pick up another 1st.  I'm hoping Baze to Minny, NOP or OKC.

Huerter and Bembry gets more minutes and SG, as well as Dorsey (he expires this year so would be good to know if he's worth resigning).

That Denver trade instead of Lin would look mighty nice right about now!

DEN pick - protected 1-12 - is likely to convey this year but will likely be in mid to late 20s if DEN continues its earl season good play, 5-1 and big win over Pels last night

I'd rather have the late 1st (Schlenk did quite well with late picks at #19(Huerter) and #30(Spellman) last draft) AND the 2nd over Lin.
steady
Veteran
And1: 1,351

Post#42 » by steady » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:
steady wrote:
jayu70 wrote:I've already given up on that pick converting to us this year.

I'm already looking at who we can trade to pick up another 1st.  I'm hoping Baze to Minny, NOP or OKC.

Huerter and Bembry gets more minutes and SG, as well as Dorsey (he expires this year so would be good to know if he's worth resigning).

That Denver trade instead of Lin would look mighty nice right about now!

DEN pick - protected 1-12 - is likely to convey this year but will likely be in mid to late 20s if DEN continues its earl season good play, 5-1 and big win over Pels last night

I'd rather have the late 1st (Schlenk did quite well with late picks at #19(Huerter) and #30(Spellman) last draft) AND the 2nd over Lin.

I am not sure, remember you are assuming Hawks were stretching Farieds contract as well to make the deal work

and 2019 is going to be bad draft year . No one remotely close to Huerters level will be available in 20s -- although maybe Spellman.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#43 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:12 pm

steady wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
steady wrote:

Not sure, remember you are assuming Hawks were stretching Farieds contract as well

and 2018 is going to be bad draft year . No one remotely close to Huerters level wille available in 20s

Also I think we’re seeing in recent games how helpful a healthy Lin could have been. And still could be — I think fie or six games in is too soon to throw in towel on him

1. I'd rather have the pick (doesn't necessarily mean we draft a player, can use it in trade, trade for future pick etc.)
2. I never put much stock in 'weak/bad draft' when nobody has seen these guys play any meaningful college games.
3. Huerter wasn't on the radar to begin the college season last year, he became a hot comodity in predraft workouts and stayed in the draft.
4. I'd just rather the pick based on Atlanta's rebuild.
5. I take no issue with stretching Faried.
6. My only interest in Lin is in his expiring contract and what asset it can bring us to further the rebuild. All I need is for him to improve his play enough to get us some asset in trade.
7. I'd rather the 1st round pick.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,357

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 1, 2018 11:46 am

I'm officially concerned about acquiring that Mavs pick, now:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#45 » by ATL Boy » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:51 pm

That Mavs pick looks like it'll be ideal this year. They're not good enough to make the playoffs and they're not bad enough out tank teams like Atlanta, New York, Chicago, BK, Orlando and maybe even Phoenix. I think it'll end up being around 7-8.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#46 » by mg » Thu Nov 1, 2018 4:58 pm

If that Dallas pick is sitting in the 6-8 range at midseason it would make sense for them to rest vets and just tank the last few months of the season though tbh.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#47 » by kg01 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 5:30 pm

mg wrote:If that Dallas pick is sitting in the 6-8 range at midseason it would make sense for them to rest vets and just tank the last few months of the season though tbh.

Agreed. If they're anywhere close to that, I wouldn't put it past Cuban to do some shameful things to make sure they don't lose their pick. Honestly, doing shameful things is kinda what I expect from Cubes at this point. :-?
king01 :king:
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,429

Post#48 » by CP War Hawks » Thu Nov 1, 2018 7:38 pm

Okay so I just checked the past 3 seasons for picks 6th, 7th, and the wins related to them respectively.

2016: 6th pick = 25 wins, 7th pick = 27 wins

2017: 6th pick = 29 wins, 7th pick = 31 wins

2018: 6th pick = 30 wins, 7th pick = 32 wins

I mean, Dallas basically has to win 30 games give or take for the pick to transfer. The West is pretty competitive though this season. There are a good 5 teams in the East that already have the top 5 lotto slots secured, so I'm not too worried.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#49 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 1, 2018 9:30 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:Okay so I just checked the past 3 seasons for picks 6th, 7th, and the wins related to them respectively.

2016: 6th pick = 25 wins, 7th pick = 27 wins

2017: 6th pick = 29 wins, 7th pick = 31 wins

2018: 6th pick = 30 wins, 7th pick = 32 wins

I mean, Dallas basically has to win 30 games give or take for the pick to transfer. The West is pretty competitive though this season. There are a good 5 teams in the East that already have the top 5 lotto slots secured, so I'm not too worried.

With the odds change, this season might be very different from the past tho.

With Barnes back, and later Dirk, they should get better soon.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#50 » by jayu70 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 10:39 pm

I think they're gonna try hard to win as many games as posdible in what could be Dirk's last season.
When is he due back?
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#51 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Nov 2, 2018 5:21 am

He's saying it's gonna take weeks...
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
steady
Veteran

Post#52 » by steady » Sat Nov 3, 2018 1:48 am

kg01 wrote:
mg wrote:If that Dallas pick is sitting in the 6-8 range at midseason it would make sense for them to rest vets and just tank the last few months of the season though tbh.

Agreed. If they're anywhere close to that, I wouldn't put it past Cuban to do some shameful things to make sure they don't lose their pick. Honestly, doing shameful things is kinda what I expect from Cubes at this point. :-?

Dallas' 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-5 in 2019, 1-5 in 2020, 1-3 in 2021 and 1-3 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023 [Atlanta-Dallas, 6/21/2018]

Dallas has incentive to give that first round pick to the Hawks the soonest they can
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#53 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:19 am

steady wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Dallas' 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-5 in 2019, 1-5 in 2020, 1-3 in 2021 and 1-3 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023 [Atlanta-Dallas, 6/21/2018]

Dallas has incentive to give that first round pick to the Hawks the soonest they can

Diametrically opposed to the Cavs. They might be trying to trade their vets now.
Thanks for the honesty.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#54 » by ATL Boy » Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:50 am

Mavs losing to the Knicks at home is surprising. Hopefully that pick actually does convey this year, but even if it doesn't I don't think that team is making the playoffs next year either.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#55 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 9:01 pm

We can definitely kiss that Cavs pick buh bye....Cavs will be getting rid of their vets soon.

Things are not good for the Cleveland Cavaliers right now and the future is beginning to look anything but positive. Joe Vardon of The Athletic reports that there is a major divide in the locker room and it is first-round pick Collin Sexton that the veterans lack confidence in:

“It’s becoming increasingly clear that when you hear a Cavs veteran talk about younger players not knowing their role, or knowing how to win, or what to do on the court, they mean Sexton. Throughout the organization, the line on Sexton is that he does not “know how to play.” He doesn’t know how to defend the pick and roll. He doesn’t know how to set up teammates as a point guard.”

While George Hill reportedly told Sexton he would teach him how to play defense, the players in the locker room don’t think he will even listen to him.

“They still think he’s a nice kid. But they see his deficiencies, they know he’s going to be on the court, and they’re discouraged when after these losses, he doesn’t seem bothered by them.

I'll just say, I'm glad the Hawks have the RIGHT vets on our team mentoring our 3 rookies.
steady
Veteran

Post#56 » by steady » Sun Nov 4, 2018 11:14 pm

Only team with better record than Nuggets right now is Warriors who I believe DEN beat once. They are tied for second place with Raptors.

Another surprise : there are six teams with worse records than Hawks right now.

Suns, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Magic. Mavs

And they are tied for seventh with BKN and NYK

It’s really early of course
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#57 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Nov 6, 2018 9:29 pm

steady wrote:Only team with better record than Nuggets right now is Warriors who I believe DEN beat once. They are tied for second place with Raptors.

Another surprise : there are six teams with worse records than Hawks right now.

Suns, Wizards, Cavs, Bulls, Magic. Mavs

And they are tied for seventh with BKN and NYK

It’s really early of course

Collins hasn't even played. (Barton as well, almost)
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#58 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Nov 6, 2018 9:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:We can definitely kiss that Cavs pick buh bye....Cavs will be getting rid of their vets soon.

Things are not good for the Cleveland Cavaliers right now and the future is beginning to look anything but positive. Joe Vardon of The Athletic reports that there is a major divide in the locker room and it is first-round pick Collin Sexton that the veterans lack confidence in:

“It’s becoming increasingly clear that when you hear a Cavs veteran talk about younger players not knowing their role, or knowing how to win, or what to do on the court, they mean Sexton. Throughout the organization, the line on Sexton is that he does not “know how to play.” He doesn’t know how to defend the pick and roll. He doesn’t know how to set up teammates as a point guard.”

While George Hill reportedly told Sexton he would teach him how to play defense, the players in the locker room don’t think he will even listen to him.

“They still think he’s a nice kid. But they see his deficiencies, they know he’s going to be on the court, and they’re discouraged when after these losses, he doesn’t seem bothered by them.

I'll just say, I'm glad the Hawks have the RIGHT vets on our team mentoring our 3 rookies.

Oh dang, headcase? Weren't they saying he is the best PG in the draft and will lead them into the playoffs?
Thanks for the honesty.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#59 » by atlantabbq99 » Wed Nov 7, 2018 5:41 am

Good news is that Dallas just won today, which officially puts them at #6 on the mock draft board. That DeAndre Jordan signing has been good for the Hawks, he was able to out play Dwight today and get the win.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#60 » by Geaux_Hawks » Wed Nov 7, 2018 7:41 am

steady wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Mavs should surely incentivise sending that pick next year. 2023 is a long ways away, but anytime an unprotected pick is floating out there, is never a good thing.

I believe they're going to end up better this year anyway once everyone is healthy. No way they end up worse than us, PHX, Cleveland, Chicago, NY, and Brooklynn.

We should probably expect another team like Washington to be just as bad. Sacto could fall once they see some of the better teams in the league.

I'm gonna say that pick ends up 7-10.

Return to Atlanta Hawks