Mavs & Cavs Draft Pick Watch

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Mavs & Cavs Draft Pick Watch 

Post#81 » by ATL Boy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:56 pm

Houston will get right, and almost all of the team's in direct competition with Dallas for that 8-seed are better talent wise. I'm still expecting that pick to be top 10.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#82 » by jayu70 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:38 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Houston will get right, and almost all of the team's in direct competition with Dallas for that 8-seed are better talent wise. I'm still expecting that pick to be top 10.

I hope so because between Luka's play, the status of the Mavs pick today (#17) - this trade is not coming up roses so far.
I'll reserve judgement until after the season and until draft time 2019....but I'm feeling very uncomfortable. Just so Hawk-sy!!!
~Wretch~
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Post#83 » by ~Wretch~ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:10 pm

jayu70 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Houston will get right, and almost all of the team's in direct competition with Dallas for that 8-seed are better talent wise. I'm still expecting that pick to be top 10.

I hope so because between Luka's play, the status of the Mavs pick today (#17) - this trade is not coming up roses so far.
I'll reserve judgement until after the season and until draft time 2019....but I'm feeling very uncomfortable. Just so Hawk-sy!!!

Here's hoping for a second half collapse. The Mavs look decent, the pick is looking mediocre, and the trade is looking like a wash.......at best.

...and the "thing" shall be henceforth referred to as Hawk-sy, for it is most certainly a thing.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,603

Post#84 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:49 pm

The Dallas pick is basically nothing now. The trade was basically Trae for Doncic straight up and a very worthless asset coming back to the Hawks.

Hawks would be very lucky to get a fringe starter with the Dallas pick now.

The trade will now just be judged solely on which player is better 5 years from now, Trae or Doncic?
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#85 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:55 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:The Dallas pick is basically nothing now. The trade was basically Trae for Doncic straight up and a very worthless asset coming back to the Hawks.

The trade will now just be judged solely on which player is better 5 years from now, Trae or Doncic?

That is super premature and a gross exaggeration. With a three game losing streak, Dallas could drop from 7th in the West to 12th. Their point differential and schedule suggest they are the 10th best team in the West year to date. There is a lot of season left to play and a single injury or two could dramatically change their season. That pick still has very real upside. Even then, you still have to see who you get with the pick before judging it because getting Darko at #2 means a lot less than drafting Shawn Kemp at #17.

Saying it looks much worse right now than on draft day is totally fair but writing that asset completely off is just misguided.

Moreover, look at who we have taken in our last two drafts at #19 - John Collins and Kevin Huerter. I would definitely not call either of them "nothing." I'd call them "key pieces for this team's future."
DRKB21
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#86 » by DRKB21 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:34 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:The Dallas pick is basically nothing now. The trade was basically Trae for Doncic straight up and a very worthless asset coming back to the Hawks.

Here's the thing about that pick. If you are honest with yourself about the talent that is in this draft, you would realize that the talent that is going to go in the 6-9 range is roughly the same as the talent that will go in the 12-15 range of the draft. In this particular draft, the higher that pick is will not matter. It's not a great draft where you want multiple picks. Best case scenario is that you find a rotation guy with that pick whether you are drafting 6th or 16th.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#87 » by Spud2nique » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:57 am

Let’s go Suns! Finish this thing!
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#88 » by CP War Hawks » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:42 am

The Suns win just exasperates my point in the other thread. Dallas is a very bad road team, and while being good at home, they were lucky to avoid players like Curry, Butler, Westbrook, Haywood, etc. during those wins.

Their schedule tells the tale, two bad loses in Phoenix and one in Atlanta. They will slide gradually, much deeper if a serious injury were to occur...
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#89 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:51 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:That is super premature and a gross exaggeration. With a three game losing streak, Dallas could drop from 7th in the West to 12th. Their point differential and schedule suggest they are the 10th best team in the West year to date. There is a lot of season left to play and a single injury or two could dramatically change their season. That pick still has very real upside. Even then, you still have to see who you get with the pick before judging it because getting Darko at #2 means a lot less than drafting Shawn Kemp at #17.

Saying it looks much worse right now than on draft day is totally fair but writing that asset completely off is just misguided.

Moreover, look at who we have taken in our last two drafts at #19 - John Collins and Kevin Huerter. I would definitely not call either of them "nothing." I'd call them "key pieces for this team's future."

AHF for the win.

While I do think it's more likely Dallas ends up with the better player in the swap. We still seem more likely to end up with a better team as we are still looking to add talent.

It's like how GSW picked Ekpe Udoh over Gordon Hayward and Paul George in 2010. But still made out okay as a franchise.

(Granted, Luka looks better than either of those guys, but...ummm. Yeah.)
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#90 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
It's like how GSW picked Ekpe Udoh over Gordon Hayward and Paul George in 2010. But still made out okay as a franchise.

The good news is that Trae also looks better than Ekpe Udoh by leaps and bounds!
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#91 » by Spud2nique » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:That is super premature and a gross exaggeration. With a three game losing streak, Dallas could drop from 7th in the West to 12th. Their point differential and schedule suggest they are the 10th best team in the West year to date. There is a lot of season left to play and a single injury or two could dramatically change their season. That pick still has very real upside. Even then, you still have to see who you get with the pick before judging it because getting Darko at #2 means a lot less than drafting Shawn Kemp at #17.

AHF for the win.

While I do think it's more likely Dallas ends up with the better player in the swap. We still seem more likely to end up with a better team as we are still looking to add talent.

Seriously jam...the Dallas board would love to have you ...
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#92 » by lethalweapon3 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:28 am

Annnnd the Mavspick is back in Lottoland. For now, at least.

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#93 » by personanongrata » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Doubt it. The east non playoff teams and Phoenix will all be worse. That's 8 teams right there. 11 through 14 is more likely.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#94 » by hawkmanreturns » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:36 am

I didn't realize how close the playoff race in the western conference is. That three game losing streak really hurt them. Looking at their next ten games, Dallas can easily moonwalk into mid lottery pick position.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#95 » by EazyRoc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:46 pm

Dallas just doesn’t have the talent level to maintain this. They will regress eventually.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#96 » by Bob8 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 pm

EazyRoc wrote:Dallas just doesn’t have the talent level to maintain this. They will regress eventually.

I agree, but I’m not sure if Atlanta really wants for Mavs to be that bad. Let’s say they finish 7th, 32% pick is top4. If that happens and they sign good FA, then Mavs are really playoffs contender and their pick loses value a lot. So this’s kinda tricky situation for both teams. I wouldn’t be to surprised, if Mavs start tanking, when they see playoffs hope are gone.
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#97 » by EazyRoc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Bob8 wrote:
EazyRoc wrote:Dallas just doesn’t have the talent level to maintain this. They will regress eventually.

I agree, but I’m not sure if Atlanta really wants for Mavs to be that bad. Let’s say they finish 7th, 32% pick is top4. If that happens and they sign good FA, then Mavs are really playoffs contender and their pick loses value a lot. So this’s kinda tricky situation for both teams. I wouldn’t be to surprised, if Mavs start tanking, when they see playoffs hope are gone.
Good point. It’s a tricky spot to be in. You want to root for them to be bad, but not too bad. I think they will settle out somewhere between 7-11 going purely by record. Where the lottery puts them is another story..
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#98 » by Spud2nique » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Clippers -3.5 tonight is the line.

I’m liking Bev and SGA vs the Mavs backcourt tonight. Is this the homecoming for Deandre?
personanongrata
Junior

Post#99 » by personanongrata » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:01 am

I think they will battle it out and come up just short of the playoffs, pick ends up 12-14 somewhere.
personanongrata
Junior

Post#100 » by personanongrata » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:03 am

EazyRoc wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Good point. It’s a tricky spot to be in. You want to root for them to be bad, but not too bad. I think they will settle out somewhere between 7-11 going purely by record. Where the lottery puts them is another story..

All the east non play off teams and Phoenix will be worse, the lowest they can fall is 9 (prior to lottery off course.)

Return to Atlanta Hawks