Other
1%

Total votes: 74

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Re: Rookie of the Year Watch 

Post#161 » by Drygon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:07 pm

At this point, it's safe to say that Luka is a superior player compared to others in his draft class. Will definitely win ROTY award.

No disrespect for the likes of Trae Young or Ayton because Luka is that good.

Luka was already tearing up in EuroLeague before getting drafted to NBA.

I genuinely don't see the point for keeping this thread active anymore.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#162 » by hawkmanreturns » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:18 pm

Drygon wrote:At this point, it's safe to say that Luka is a superior player compared to others in his draft class. Will definitely win ROTY award.

Who are you? Are you an Atlanta Hawks fan? Who's mans is this??? :lol:
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#163 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 pm

Drygon wrote:At this point, it's safe to say that Luka is a superior player compared to others in his draft class. Will definitely win ROTY award.

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#164 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 pm

hawkmanreturns wrote:

Who are you? Are you an Atlanta Hawks fan? Who's mans is this??? :lol:

Never seen the mfer before

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#165 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:24 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:Do you know that actually playing more games means contributing more?

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with that? Of course Luka should be docked for taking games off and for playing less (whether by schedule, injury or coach's decision).

Trae is producing a ton more and his team is winning more. That "his team trending towards winning more and not towards losing more" part can't be overlooked either for awards (note the impact winning has on All-NBA and All-Star selections for reference).

Even on a per minute basis, Young is more efficient offensively in January when you factor in turnovers (Doncic is averaging almost 5 per game in February by far his worst month of the year). It is Trae for the month of February easily and January is more of a debate where reasonable minds can differ. For 2018, it is Luka in a landslide.

Both rookies have been fantastic.

Luka has 50% winning record in February and Trae 42%. You know those averages are for the reason, because with your accumulative stats, all awards would go to players, who played all games. But I might be wrong, and Trae will win ROY convincingly. Lets see.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#166 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:36 pm

Bob8 wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:Do you know that actually playing more games means contributing more?

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with that? Of course Luka should be docked for taking games off and for playing less (whether by schedule, injury or coach's decision).

Trae is producing a ton more and his team is winning more. That "his team trending towards winning more and not towards losing more" part can't be overlooked either for awards (note the impact winning has on All-NBA and All-Star selections for reference).

Even on a per minute basis, Young is more efficient offensively in January when you factor in turnovers (Doncic is averaging almost 5 per game in February by far his worst month of the year). It is Trae for the month of February easily and January is more of a debate where reasonable minds can differ. For 2018, it is Luka in a landslide.

Luka has 50% winning record in February and Trae 42%. You know those averages are for the reason, because with your accumulative stats, all awards would go to players, who played all games. But I might be wrong, and Trae will win ROY convincingly. Lets see.

deleted, no use to continue.
observer1995
Junior
And1: 189

Post#167 » by observer1995 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:46 pm

If you could actually make one 16 game stretch go away, I think the general public would be pretty shocked about where the overall stats are in comparison. This is not just one little hot streak, it's now up to 36 straight games of an average of 19.6 PTS/8.1 AST/3.7 REB (3.8 TO) on a respectable slash of 43.6% FG/38.9% 3PT/83.6% FT.

But, you can't make a 16 game stretch go away, and that stretch had appalling shooting numbers that are likely going to keep his numbers down for the full season.

Luka will win ROY, but it just might end up actually not being unanimous. It'll be absolutely unreal if it gets seriously in doubt, because it'll mean that Trae pulled off something similar to Acuna with the Braves.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#168 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 pm

Bob8 wrote:

Mmmm...tasty red herring. You keep pointing to ROY when I'm saying it is Luka easily for the entire season given where things are today and that has nothing to do with the monthly analysis.

The winning issue is a team based issue not a Luka based issue. Voters disproportionately give awards to players from teams that outperform and disproportionately ignore players from teams that underperform. Atlanta has won 42% of games in February and 32% for the rest of the season - Trae's hot play has resulted in a roughly 1/3 increase in winning %. Dallas has won 40% of games in February and 45% on the rest of the season so his February has resulted in more losses for the team than normal. This is also where skipping games comes into play because it has hurt his team's win total.

So we have one player who has:

* 50% more points on similar efficiency
* 100% more assists
* A 50% better A/TO ratio
* 300% more steals
* 33% fewer rebounds

And that player's team is winning substantially more often in February versus a player on the downside of all those stats other than rebounding and whose team is on a down tick for the month (basically walking away from the playoff race over the course of the month).

As I mentioned, offensively (and offense is the big driver for these awards) Trae has also been better on a rate basis because of the turnovers for Doncic. That is reflected in their offensive ratings for the month:

* Trae 118 offensive rating - 108 offensive rating for Luka

(Notably, Trae also has the better offensive rating for January based on his big edge in scoring efficiency but it is closer)

They will both win rookie for the month for their conference but Young is the one with the better February resume. Being the second best rookie in February is no shame just like it isn't a shame for Trae fans to admit he is behind Doncic for ROY based on the year to date.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#169 » by Bob8 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Mmmm...tasty red herring.

You keep pointing to ROY when I'm saying it is Luka easily for the entire season given where things are today. The winning issue is a team based issue not a Luka based issue. Voters disproportionately give awards to players from teams that outperform and disproportionately ignore players from teams that underperform. Atlanta has won 42% of games in February and 32% for the rest of the season - Trae's hot play has resulted in a roughly 1/3 increase in winning %. Dallas has won 40% of games in February and 45% on the rest of the season so his February has resulted in more losses for the team than normal. This is also where skipping games comes into play because it has hurt his team's win total.

So we have one player who has:

* 50% more points on similar efficiency
* 100% more assists
* A 50% better A/TO ratio
* 300% more steals
* 33% fewer rebounds

And that player's team is winning substantially more often in February versus a player on the downside of all those stats other than rebounding and whose team is on a down tick for the month (basically walking away from the playoff race over the course of the month).

As I mentioned, offensively (and offense is the big driver for these awards) Trae has also been better on a rate basis because of the turnovers for Doncic. That is reflected in their offensive ratings for the month:

* Trae 118 offensive rating - 108 offensive rating for Luka

(Notably, Trae also has the better offensive rating for January based on his big edge in scoring efficiency but it is closer)

They will both win rookie for the month for their conference but Young is the one with the better February resume.

Unfortunately you didn't start with this post, because I would never even started conversation with you. truly unbelievable post.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,749

Post#170 » by Colbinii » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:16 am

I was extremely impressed with his play against my Timberwolves last night. I have been watching him and Doncic relatively consistently throughout the season [~1 time per week] and he is down right an impressive talent and more importantly an impressive basketball player. Rookie's like Trae are rare; playing the most difficult position in the NBA and IMPROVING throughout the season. The coaching staff needs to get a lot of credit for putting Trae in a position to improve throughout the season with his roster [Not that it is bad, but it kind of it]. He has been able to put a lot of criticism behind him [or ignores it] and the sky is the limit for him.

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:meh post

Come on man. Context Context Context. One team completely threw in the towel by trading a lot of their roster at the start of February while one player is finally growing into his. Please do not compare them in February, it isn't fair to Doncic [Just like it wasn't fair for Trae given his lack of experience before this season compared to Doncic]. You can post better than this and not be a homer.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#171 » by graymule » Fri Mar 1, 2019 12:55 pm

:D

Unless something odd or strange happens between now and the end of the season, I expect Trae to end up as #2
Rookie of the year. Not bad. Everyone knew there was a difference in experience and Hawks got that extra
draft pick because of it. Those teams that had the other three early draft picks will be behind these two in the
Rookie of the year contest.

The wonderful thing about all this: Both teams got who and what they wanted and I believe both teams are
happy with their results. And, then, there is our extra 1st round draft pick this summer!!

:D
Sultanofatl
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#172 » by Sultanofatl » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:31 pm

Colbinii wrote:I was extremely impressed with his play against my Timberwolves last night. I have been watching him and Doncic relatively consistently throughout the season [~1 time per week] and he is down right an impressive talent and more importantly an impressive basketball player. Rookie's like Trae are rare; playing the most difficult position in the NBA and IMPROVING throughout the season. The coaching staff needs to get a lot of credit for putting Trae in a position to improve throughout the season with his roster [Not that it is bad, but it kind of it]. He has been able to put a lot of criticism behind him [or ignores it] and the sky is the limit for him.

Come on man. Context Context Context. One team completely threw in the towel by trading a lot of their roster at the start of February while one player is finally growing into his. Please do not compare them in February, it isn't fair to Doncic [Just like it wasn't fair for Trae given his lack of experience before this season compared to Doncic]. You can post better than this and not be a homer.

In that vein, Trae was without JC for a large part of the season. He lost his only other primary ball handler to injury and then buyout. A knew coach and fellow rookie in the starting line up for large stretches. You can post better than this.........
If it counts luck is worth the same as skill
fuzzy1
Senior
And1: 293

Post#173 » by fuzzy1 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:45 pm

Loving all these new Hawks fans on our board! Dunno why they keep talking positively about that Euro-scrub Slowcic, but any traffic is good traffic!

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-J700T using RealGM mobile app
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#174 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Mar 1, 2019 5:49 pm

Colbinii wrote:I was extremely impressed with his play against my Timberwolves last night. I have been watching him and Doncic relatively consistently throughout the season [~1 time per week] and he is down right an impressive talent and more importantly an impressive basketball player. Rookie's like Trae are rare; playing the most difficult position in the NBA and IMPROVING throughout the season. The coaching staff needs to get a lot of credit for putting Trae in a position to improve throughout the season with his roster [Not that it is bad, but it kind of it]. He has been able to put a lot of criticism behind him [or ignores it] and the sky is the limit for him.

WTF are you talking about?

Another poster was comparing them month by month and I so gave a detailed breakdown of February's numbers. Then you butt into the middle of the conversation and say "Please do not compare them in February."

It is an ultimate irony that you are pleading "context, context" while completely ignoring the context for where this discussion originated. :noway:

I do hold open the possibility that your post was intended to be sarcastic but I'll freely admit I didn't read it that way. (I'm hoping that was how you meant it and if so feel free to ignore this post.)
AHawks89
Freshman
And1: 163

Post#175 » by AHawks89 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 7:35 pm

Young is starting to make a lot of noise around the league. Although ESPN (and other media) hate digging into his stats (because they've all been wrong), they pretty much have to since the rest of the world knows what is going on. No offense Soth, but I was a big believer in Trae when we drafted him, so I screen shotted your post on HS bashing him. It's all love.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#176 » by kg01 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 7:45 pm

AHawks89 wrote:Young is starting to make a lot of noise around the league. Although ESPN (and other media) hate digging into his stats (because they've all been wrong), they pretty much have to since the rest of the world knows what is going on. No offense Soth, but I was a big believer in Trae when we drafted him, so I screen shotted your post on HS bashing him. It's all love.

Our guy saphron's gonna have his shelves stocked full of grade-A, grass-fed crow for a long time.

And, on a totally unrelated note, you don't have any screenshots of my comments do ya?

Cause, ya know, I was fully on board with the Young pick too.

I mean, unless you got some screenshots that say otherwise ... {nervous laugh}. :wink:
king01 :king:
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#177 » by lethalweapon3 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 8:42 pm

I dunno about ROY but Trae's turning the East award into a ROM-com!

Read on Twitter

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#178 » by macd-gm » Fri Mar 1, 2019 9:04 pm

Speaking of rebounds, did you see Trae steal one out of KAT's hands. I like KAT, he's a beast, but come on man. You've got a foot on Trae.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#179 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Mar 1, 2019 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#180 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 2, 2019 4:42 am

i'll put an asterisk on it since it took 4 OTs.

But the history books won't care. It's a hell of an accomplishment. And should cinch Player of the Week Honors.

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks