ImageImage

What if Zion Williamson...

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

~Wretch~
Pro Prospect
And1: 176

Re: What if Zion Williamson... 

Post#41 » by ~Wretch~ » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:24 pm

His size, speed, and athleticism would make an insane pick and roll option with Trae. In isolations, he'll cause matchup problems for bigs on the perimeter. If he develops a respectable midrange shot, he could be scary good. I'm a little worried about his shot, but not enough to pass on him. His form looks solid, but his mechanics are kinda slow and his release is a little low for my liking. I've seen him hit a few step back jumpers that looked smooth.

I don't see a guy that can't shoot though. I see a young player that hasn't developed that part of his game. Fratello said similar things about Dominique and he helped him develop a well rounded offensive game that had to be respected all over the court.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:54 am

An abridged version of the article.

Zion Williamson sees the love Hawks fans show him, but will Atlanta get the chance to draft him?

The​ biggest​ win for​ the Hawks​ a few months​ into the​ season​ might​ just be Duke freshman​ sensation​ Zion​​ Williamson noticing how much love the Atlanta fan base has shown him on social media.

Hawks rookie Trae Young was at Madison Square Garden on Thursday night to watch Duke take on Texas Tech.

Williamson didn’t know Young was at the game, but he smiled when he heard Young was a few rows from the court.

“Trae Young was here? Wow. I didn’t see him. That’s cool,” Williamson said. “I met him a few times. He’s a really cool dude. But we don’t have a super deep relationship. He could really shoot the ball. I think he’s learning to play point guard really well now that’s he in the NBA. I think he’s going to be a great player in the future.”

A trio of Young, Williamson and John Collins would be one of the most exciting young cores in the league, but there’s still a long way to go before we can talk about that possibility.

Watching Williamson play for the first time in person is a breathtaking experience. The first two things Williamson mentions that he wants to improve are his team defense and knowing when to help. For someone who likely will spend only one season in college, the intensity he plays with on both ends is something to marvel at.

The player who has been compared to Shawn Kemp, Charles Barkley and even LeBron James has dominated college basketball this season. He was asked if he compares himself to anyone in the NBA, but there’s just no one like him and he humbly acknowledged that.

“I’m just trying to be the first Zion,” he said.

And Hawks fans are hoping that the first Zion winds up in Atlanta next season.
The Athletic
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#43 » by Hazer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:30 am

He a’ight.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my RC555L using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:08 pm

How Zion Williamson Can Change The Fate Of 14 Lottery Teams

At this point in the season, Zion Williamson is considered the unanimous number 1 overall pick around the league for the upcoming 2019 NBA draft. A franchise changing the talent, with an infectious aura that will immediately bring more attention to an organization and fans to the seats, the NBA has never seen a player with Zion’s unique skill set in league history.

So we’re going to take a look at how every current lottery team would look if they got the number 1 pick and Zion went to their team. This upcoming draft will change the outlook of the NBA for years to come and as you will see the domino effect of wherever Zion Williamson will end up could be drastic.

Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks finish with the 2nd worst record in the NBA. However, they get lucky in the lottery and get the number 1 pick for the first time since 1975. That year, the Hawks picked David Thompson and he decided to go to the ABA instead. Thompson said the Hawks seemed uninterested in him and even took him to McDonald’s for a meal (this is not a joke).

Atlanta, in this scenario, does not take Zion to McDonald’s and instead to Ruth’s Chris Steak House. The Hawks pick Williamson and the trio of Zion/Trae Young/John Collins looks nasty going into the future. John Collins has made incredible 2nd-year improvement and hopefully Young will do the same. I also low key really like the long-term potential of Kevin Huerter as a shooter. Those 4 going forward will give Hawks fans high hopes heading into next decade.

As for what to put around these players, the Hawks will also get the number 20 pick in the draft from Dallas in this scenario. They pick Zion’s teammate Tre Jones to backup Trae Young. Trae/Tre becomes the hottest combo in Atlanta since Kris Kross.

The one glaring hole remaining is the center position. Dewayne Dedmon’s contract expires after this season and the Hawks could use an upgrade.

Long story short, Zion to the ATL would be almost just as exciting as him to Phoenix. At the very least, with the combo of Trae/Zion a good percentage of the younger generation of NBA fans will be hopping on the Hawks bandwagon ASAP.
Fade Away World
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#46 » by EazyRoc » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:14 pm

Oh sh!...if Phoenix gets Zion to pair with Ayton, the whole league is in trouble.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:10 am

NBA Draft: 5 Teams Could Be Favorites To Land Zion Williamson

5. Atlanta Hawks

Sitting at a 12-29 record, the Atlanta Hawks currently have a 10.5% chance to get their hands on Duke’s most exciting prospect ever. Next to John Collins, they’d have the best young frontcourt in the league for years.

Trae Young is still coming together and has shown glimpses of greatness, but even if he winds up being an average playmaker, they could be something else in the pick-and-roll. Still, we wouldn’t like to see him land in such a small market.
Fade Away World
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#49 » by personanongrata » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:52 pm

macd-gm wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:Also, I get that this kid is a physical talent but his 'game' is still pretty rudimentary. I'm not saying he can't improve skill-wise or that I'm against drafting him. I'm saying whoever drafts him will have to understand that they'll have a lot of development to do.

He can certainly make a living (i.e. get paid) off of put-backs, duck-ins and effort plays at the next level. However, an NBA team can't win on a steady diet of that "offense" from their main guy. That's like asking a poor man's Julius Randle to lead your team. yeesh

YES!!!

I'm trying to get on board with this kid as consensus #1.

But i just don't see a great basketball player.

I see a good player who's a great athlete -- while simultaneously being undersized and overweight.

He'll be a productive NBA player. But I can't see him carrying an offense, shutting down opposing bigs or wings.

Or he's young Blake Griffin. :dontknow:

I haven't seen enough of him to really say whether he'll be great or a bust but his physical gifts are pretty damn impressive. I mean what were Lebron's basketball skills coming into the NBA?

LeBron was a far better ball handler and had a more rounded all around game. I cant see Zion running an offense full time like LeBron. I see more an early Blake Griffin, with more defense.
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#50 » by personanongrata » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:00 pm

EazyRoc wrote:Oh sh!...if Phoenix gets Zion to pair with Ayton, the whole league is in trouble.

I just hope he ends up with us, Orlando, or a small market team (except Cleveland). If he goes to the Celtics I'll be sick.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#51 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm just letting you know in advance I will be on the bandwagon next year if you guys get Zion :D.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#52 » by EazyRoc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am

That play we run where we hand off to Trae with both bigs setting high picks. Just imagine that play with JC and Zion. Especially with JC improving as a shooter. Whew man..
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,003

Post#53 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 am

EazyRoc wrote:That play we run where we hand off to Trae with both bigs setting high picks. Just imagine that play with JC and Zion. Especially with JC improving as a shooter. Whew man..
Would be nice!
Like most people, I want Zion, but I won't get my hopes up.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:01 pm

The Race to Zion: Tanking NBA Teams Best Positioned to Land No. 1 Pick

Zion Williamson is the ultimate prize. Though other top-tier prospects will reward NBA teams for their losing endeavors in 2018-19, the spring-loaded Duke freshman is the obvious crown jewel of the class. So we highlight the five teams best positioned to earn the top lottery odds in pursuit of his services.

Four metrics matter:

• win percentage
  • net rating
  • net rating over the last 10 games
  • and remaining strength of schedule

Honorable Mentions: Memphis Grizzlies (minus-1.807), Los Angeles Lakers (minus-1.595), Detroit Pistons (minus-1.542)

5. Atlanta Hawks: Minus-2.992

Current Win Percentage: 0.318 (No. 26)

Current Net Rating: minus-7.6 (No. 26)

Net Rating in Last 10 Games: minus-5.0 (No. 23)

Remaining Schedule Strength: 0.493 (No. 19)

Even if the Atlanta Hawks shouldn't have much interest in competing for a back-end playoff spot in the weak Eastern Conference, they might end up working their way into the fringes of that conversation. This roster has slowly been piecing together lengthier stretches of positive play that offer more hope for a future built around the incumbent core but also lessen the probability of a Zion Williamson pursuit.

Over the team's last 10 games, culminating in a Tuesday night explosion against the vaunted defense of the Oklahoma City Thunder, the three-man nucleus comprised of Trae Young, John Collins and Kevin Huerter has looked the part of something special.

Young has started to minimize his mistakes and exhibit signs of better shot selection. Collins is an athletic marvel who compresses defenses around him and requires constant attention in off-ball scenarios. Huerter is beginning to find his shot and demand surveillance from the opposition at all times. Even without Kent Bazemore (and while Taurean Prince gets healthy/attempts to bounce back toward the level he reached late in 2017-18), that trio alone has allowed Atlanta to remain competitive.

To be fair, the Hawks could supercharge their tank by offloading Jeremy Lin, Dewayne Dedmon and Bazemore at the deadline, as the New York Times' Marc Stein reported. But even in that scenario, these youngsters have already inspired enough confidence that Atlanta should be viewed as a distant fifth in the race for a certain Duke phenom. Maybe they'll just get one of the other two lottery-lock Blue Devils instead.
Bleacher Report

Spoiler:
1. Cleveland Cavaliers: Minus-6.175

We won't sugarcoat this one. The Cavaliers are easily the most futile team in the league right now, and they've been playing even worse basketball as the season progresses. They have the lowest win percentage, the No. 30 net rating and a score that's trended in the wrong direction during recent weeks. They also have the second-toughest schedule of our five leading Zion Williamson suitors.
EazyRoc
Senior

Post#55 » by EazyRoc » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:54 pm

I’d be highly upset if Cleveland ended up with another #1 pick.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#56 » by hawkmanreturns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:24 pm

EazyRoc wrote:I’d be highly upset if Cleveland ended up with another #1 pick.

The Hawks are due a #1 pick at this point. The Hawks are the only bottom team that is not blatantly tanking.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#57 » by Hazer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Better go ahead and brace yourself, it’s gonna happen.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#58 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Hazer wrote:

Better go ahead and brace yourself, it’s gonna happen.

Our odds for the #1 will be very similar to the Cavs. There is no commercial reason for the NBA to compromise its system to favor the Cavs (Cleveland is not New York). Time will tell.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 pm

I'm sure no one here will agree, but I really hope Zion ends up in...Charlotte.

He grew up in South Carolina. He went to college in North Carolina. It just feels like a nice story.

And that franchise/fanbase could really use an infusion of talent and excitement.

NOTE: I still have reservations on how Zion translates to the NBA and suspect his weight will limit his longevity in the league. But it'd renew a fun rivalry if he went o the squad up the interstate.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#60 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I'm sure no one here will agree, but I really hope Zion ends up in...Charlotte.

He grew up in South Carolina. He went to college in North Carolina. It just feels like a nice story.

And that franchise/fanbase could really use an infusion of talent and excitement.

NOTE: I still have reservations on how Zion translates to the NBA and suspect his weight will limit his longevity in the league. But it'd renew a fun rivalry if he went o the squad up the interstate.

I agree. Zion is still not 100% to me. His shot just looks so ugly, the more I watch him shoot, the more annoyed I get. He has poor arm movement and flicks the ball when he shoot like Dwight. Which is why his jumpshot and 3pt shot are so bad.

The only saving grace is that Griffin and Barkley were also poor 3pt and free throw shooters in college but became decent in the NBA. And in addition Zion's defense does seem to be Draymond level. His ability to switch on defense and lateral quickness on defense does seem to be elite.

Return to Atlanta Hawks