ImageImage

Fanbase Rookie Approval Rating: Kevin Huerter

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Do you approve or disapprove of the Kevin Huerter pick?

Approve
93%
Disapprove
2%
Not Sure Yet
5%

Total votes: 59

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Re: Fanbase Rookie Approval Rating: Kevin Huerter 

Post#101 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 5, 2019 11:17 pm

Kevin Huerter: The Quiet Shooting Threat In The NBA

https://www.nba.com/hawks/kevin-huerter-the-quite-shooting-threat-in-the-nba

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#102 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 12:50 am

graymule wrote::D

RED PEPPER !! Always hot! While we're contemplating, what should we call Spellman? We have Ice Trae and many
Huerter names. Also, we have Vinsanity and Half his age VC..

NAME THE HAWKS !!

The rookie mad men !!

Fire, Ice and Thunder.
IheartTHEhurt
Junior
And1: 251

Post#103 » by IheartTHEhurt » Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:02 am

Take it from J-Collins himself.. drop the Red

It's K-von
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 6, 2019 12:51 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I was about to order a Collins jersey but Huerter isn’t allowing me...ugh..then there’s Trae but am I that mainstream? Lol ATL!!!!

Man, if you don't quit playing around and order a lifesize Omari Spellman jersey. :lol:

Spoiler:
(I'm sorry. Was that too mean? :o

I'm new to this whole trash talking thing...)
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#105 » by Spud2nique » Wed Feb 6, 2019 3:22 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:I was about to order a Collins jersey but Huerter isn’t allowing me...ugh..then there’s Trae but am I that mainstream? Lol ATL!!!!

Man, if you don't quit playing around and order a lifesize Omari Spellman jersey. :lol:

Spoiler:

:roll: wtf... your learning all squawk bad habits. Lol.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#106 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Spoiler:

It's perfect, :lol: .
Get 'im Spud.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#107 » by Hazer » Wed Feb 6, 2019 5:35 pm

TrATL, The Huert, Fresh Prince, J-Bap
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#108 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:49 pm

From Warehouse To NBA Arenas, Kevin Huerter Keeps Up With His Shooting

Huerter has played in 54 games entering the All-Star break, proving himself alongside fellow young prospects Trae Young and John Collins as the Hawks attempt to rebuild the franchise.

He’s also been one of the best shooters in the entire league.

Huerter is shooting 38.9 percent on three-pointers this season, which is good for second-best among all rookies behind Landry Shamet. More specifically, he is shooting 43 percent on jumpers from 27 to 50 feet — good enough for second-best in the entire league behind Kyrie Irving.

At 6-foot-7, Huerter — nicknamed “Red Mamba” after his hair color and silky stroke — has shot the basketball with the best of them this season. It hasn’t always come easy, though.

Huerter learned the game from his father, Tom, who owns Huersch Marketing Group in Upstate New York. Huersch had a warehouse, and as Kevin grew older and his jumpshot began to graze the net, Tom decided to install a halfcourt with a Goalrilla basketball hoop at the warehouse.

Huerter hoisted shots at the warehouse late at night, refining the stroke that earned him a spot on the Shenendehowa High School team. There, he scored 1,454 points, tallied 504 rebounds and 512 assists in four years. He earned 2016 New York Mr. Basketball. He earned a spot USA Basketball men’s under-19 World Cup team.

“There’s been so many times where you stop and you look around,” Huerter said, “and you realize you’re on an NBA court in an NBA arena playing in the NBA.”
RealGM
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#109 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm

He seems to be struggling a bit lately. Hopefully he will rest up over the break and come back strong for the remainder of the season.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#110 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Yep, rookie wall perhaps.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#111 » by graymule » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 pm

8-)

I'm a homer, Hawk fan. I believe that this is another great draft pick just as JC is. Rookie wall coming after all star break.
Huerter will be more than ready next season. JC has shown amazing maturity in his second year. I expect the same type
of growth with Kevin next season.

If that happens, we can expect a lot of fans to WOW about him while we who follow the Hawks closely will already be
aware of what we have. To me, the homer that I am, he is much the same as the player we traded for Trae. I know.
He's not there yet. But, he doesn't have three years pro experience to start this season. I believe in Kevin H.

Next season the Hawks will be much better. In fact, our second half of this season is going to be better than the first.

:D -- :nod:
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#112 » by graymule » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 pm

:crazy:

Like trying to pull hen's teeth to get anyone to agree with me on this! Kevin may yet be the next Hawk all star!
I know. The old man has lost it, but, dang, I like this kid !!

:banghead:
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#113 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:36 pm

graymule wrote::crazy:

Like trying to pull hen's teeth to get anyone to agree with me on this! Kevin may yet be the next Hawk all star!

I hope that comes to pass. I've seen enough to convince me he is going to be a success in the NBA but not enough to start predicting All-Star appearances. Collins had stellar advanced metrics last season that suggested he could blow up with more minutes and responsibility. Huerter's numbers are much more muted. I think he will need more time to bake than the Baptist.

Example:
KH 9.8 PER, 0.030 WS/48, 0.9 WS, -2.1 BPM, 0.0 VORP
JC (rookie) 18.3 PER, .154 WS/48, 5.4 WS, 1.7 BPM, 1.7 VORP
jayu70
RealGM

Post#114 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:28 pm

graymule wrote::crazy:

I like him too especially since I had him slated for mostly GLeague assignment this season. I love it when players surprise me in a good way.
I see the 3pt competition during the Allstar weekend in his near future.
I hope he gets to be an Allstar.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#115 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Does Kevin Huerter have All-Star potential if everything breaks right in his development?

I certainly think he has All-Star potential if everything breaks right for him. I know a lot of people make the Klay Thompson comparison for Huerter because of the Hawks’ front office connections to Golden State, but Bradley Beal is a better comparison, in my opinion.

I looked up the stats for Beal’s rookie season and Huerter’s and these numbers are eerily similar. Beal made the All-Rookie First Team with these stats, by the way.

One of the main differences is Beal’s ability to get to the rim and draw fouls. Huerter very rarely attacks the rim aggressively, which likely will become a larger part of his game as he gains more weight and becomes more confident in his abilities to drive inside. If we assume Huerter will only get better as gains more experience in the league, then I certainly think he could reach All-Star potential like Beal.
The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:37 pm

^FTR, I don't think those numbers are really that close.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#117 » by King Ken » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:50 pm

Kevin can be a stud but he isn't as good as rookie Beal and I used to go to a lot of Wizards games and I watch all Hawks games. Kev has legit potential but Beal is better at scoring. Defense, I'll give the edge to Kevin.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 5, 2019 8:59 pm

Question: What about that other rookie guard for the Atlanta Hawks?

We all know Trae Young is killing it right now. He’s on such a tear that we might be close to a point of reopening the Rookie of the Year race. But he has a backcourt mate who is also a rookie, and he’s someone the Hawks really believe in moving forward. For the most part, Kevin Huerter has been starting for the Hawks since early December. Going into his NBA career, everybody knew Huerter could shoot the ball. He hit 39.4 percent of his 3-pointers at Maryland. The longer distance doesn’t bother him in the NBA with him hitting 39.0 percent on 4.5 attempts per game this season. Where Huerter is at his most impressive shooting the ball is from the corner. He’s knocked down 48.6 percent of his deep balls from the corner.

The Hawks are trying to cultivate some more playmaking out of Huerter, who does occasionally drop a dime or two. For the most part, his game off the bounce revolves around him shooting a jumper. He has a 55.8 percent effective field goal off the dribble, mostly because he doesn’t mind letting a defender fly by as he takes a side-step dribble and pulls it. Huerter’s 9.3 points per game won’t blow you away, but he’s spacing the floor nicely for Lloyd Pierce. He just needs to get comfortable attacking the basket against aggressive closeouts. Because everybody knows he can and will let it fly. Now he has to adjust to their scouting report on him.

GIF ON THE BEAT:

The Athletic
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:31 pm

The Atlanta Hawks can use Bradley Beal and Zach LaVine as models for Kevin Huerter’s offensive development

The rookie wing can use the last month of the season to develop his ball handling and passing in pick-and-roll

Rookie wing Kevin Huerter rounds out the Hawks’ Big Three (for now) and with less than a month remaining in the season, it’s time for Atlanta to give him as many reps as possible as a lead ball handler, because there is no certainty that he’ll be able to get pressure-free reps in the future.

Making the transformation from a secondary wing who can shoot to a primary wing who can run an offense isn’t easy. It’s usually a multi-year process that takes patience on the parts of the player, his coaches, and the front office. When it pays off, however, the results can be fantastic, as with two other key ball handling wings in the Eastern Conference: Bradley Beal and Zach LaVine.

Beal and LaVine (at least on the offensive end) can be the mold for Huerter’s development over what remains of this season and the next few, as the team begins to turn the corner back toward contention. In today’s league, having a do-it-all wing like Huerter is invaluable. If the Hawks are looking toward a future with Young and Huerter as their starting backcourt, they’re going to have to be phenomenal offensively, as it’s unlikely that pairing will ever be a particularly strong defensive combination.

It’s about getting Huerter as many reps as possible and letting him work through mistakes now, while the team isn’t fighting game in and game out for playoff positioning and can afford to, for lack of better phrasing, throw those possessions away. Huerter’s shown enough with his passing and decision making in the possessions he has used that the Hawks can be reasonably certain he can make a leap as a ball handler if given the opportunity, but it’s up to them to put him in the right positions to develop that aspect of his game.
Peachtree Hoops
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#120 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks