ImageImage

Hawks, Suns, Bulls... No more tanking?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Brotha2ThaNite
Ballboy
And1: 13

Hawks, Suns, Bulls... No more tanking? 

Post#1 » by Brotha2ThaNite » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:00 pm

Am I the only one who have noticed a lot of winning for the teams that were label as tanking?

A few weeks ago I read a comment by the Suns' James Jones..
“We shifted focus,” Jones said. “I think in the past our primary focus — a great amount of our time was spent turning over every stone as it relates to players and college players, but college players don’t win NBA games. NBA players do, so that’s where our focus is now.”

Since that comments I have notices the Hawks, Suns and Bulls win more.
Hawks last 10 games 6-4, Suns last 9 games 5-4, Bulls last 7 games 4-3... What is going on? Have they heard something or not seen good things in this years draft class?

Thoughts...
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Re: Hawks, Suns, Bulls... No more tanking? 

Post#2 » by hawkmanreturns » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I think Adam Silver may have let these teams know that blatant tanking will not be tolerated. The new Lottery odds may be a factor as well.
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#3 » by personanongrata » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 pm

The main thing is these teams needed some time to gel. This notion that bad teams are losing on purpose is mostly false. Everyone thinks a prolonged, blatant Sam Heinke style tank is now the template for every rebuilding team, that's just not true.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#4 » by kg01 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:33 pm

personanongrata wrote:The main thing is these teams needed some time to gel. This notion that bad teams are losing on purpose is mostly false. Everyone thinks a prolonged, blatant Sam Heinke style tank is now the template for every rebuilding team, that's just not true.

Exactly this. Well said.
king01 :king:
Brotha2ThaNite
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#5 » by Brotha2ThaNite » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:51 pm

I wouldn't mind being in the top 3 but that's only if I can see our young players develop. The one thing I have noticed about the winning is Trae's play is getting better with the winning. So, I'm down with the direction we are headed. I think helps the morale/confidence of the young players
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:28 pm

Atlanta Hawks Fire Sale

The Atlanta Hawks have an interesting problem.

Thanks to in-season development from Trae Young, a surge to fringe stardom from John Collins, inspired performances from Kevin Huerter and a supporting cast that's contributing more than expected, they're winning games a bit too frequently. A true pursuit of Zion Williamson isn't likely because they've posted the league's No. 23 net rating since the start of December.

Usually, winning games is a positive. But the Hawks shouldn't be entertaining postseason dreams during a rebuilding season, and they're actively hampering their shot at prominent draft position by remaining competitive. As a result, they're the most likely team in the NBA to engage in a full-fledged fire sale—shipping off at least a trio of veterans who can all contribute to postseason rosters before possibly jettisoning Vince Carter via buyout.

Marc Stein of the New York Times has already reported on the Hawks' trade-block status:

Read on Twitter

None of these are game-changing pieces, though Bazemore's three-and-D abilities should allow him to fill a major role on a contending squad. Lin is valuable as a backup point guard, while Dewayne Dedmon's stretch shooting and defensive acumen will ensure him minutes anywhere in the modern NBA.

But all together, they could give the Hawks a significant uptick in the future-asset department—a necessity when trying to build a cohesive core around, in no particular order, Young, Collins and Huerter.
Bleacher Report
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#7 » by kg01 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 pm

I reject the idea that, if we trade Deadman/Lin/Bazemore, that it'd constitute a "fire sale". Folks clearly not watching us play probably assume from afar that we're winning because of the vets. It's actually the opposite. When we win, it's because our youngs are figuring some thangs out which is exactly what we want.

Trading the vets would simply be about asset-acquisition which folks should acknowledge just makes sense.

One interesting thing former GM David Griffin said yesterday was how teams use analytics to tank in order to avoid detection. Basically said, through analytics, teams know which combinations of players simply do not contribute to winning. They simply feature those combinations and let nature take its course. Long story long, when teams like PHX, CHI, etc. say they're trying to win but still can't get it done, take it with a grain of salt.

If it talks like a duck and walks like a duck .. well, if it walks like a duck it's probably just Marvin but ... wait, what was I saying.
king01 :king:
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#8 » by personanongrata » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I think we probably end with the 5th worst record prior to the lottery at best. None of the teams below us (Cle, Phx, Chi, NYN) have any chance of catching us.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#9 » by graymule » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:59 pm

:D

The three mentioned - - Which ones played last night? Answer: No one!

About the draft: #19 Last season - - John Collins. #19 This season - - Kevin Huerter.

DON'T GIVE OUR #19 UP THIS SUMMER!

So, Hawks are not getting #1. So what. Hawks aren't a championship team. Not yet. You wouldn't know this
if you watched last night's game - -141 points against the NBA #1 defense!! We ain't great (But, we were last night!)
Don't expect all the remainder games to look like this. Ain't happening. But, wasn't last night grand !!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

8-)
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#10 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 pm

graymule wrote::D

About the draft: #19 Last season - - John Collins. #19 This season - - Kevin Huerter.

So, Hawks are not getting #1. So what. Hawks aren't a championship team. Not yet. You wouldn't know this
if you watched last night's game - -141 points against the NBA #1 defense!! We ain't great (But, we were last night!)
Don't expect all the remainder games to look like this. Ain't happening. But, wasn't last night grand !!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

8-)

Grand indeed!
How have you been doing Gramps?
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#11 » by graymule » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:32 pm

jayu70 wrote:

GO ATL HAWKS !!

8-)

Grand indeed!

I'm still kicking - - Just not very high! Saw my doctor Monday. He said I was in good shape for the shape I'm in.
Sure miss my wife - - Almost 2 years since cancer took her.

I'm still enjoying the Young Hawks and love it when they win - - Like last night.

:nod:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#12 » by jayu70 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:39 pm

graymule wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

GO ATL HAWKS !!

8-)

Grand indeed!

I'm still kicking - - Just not very high! Saw my doctor Monday. He said I was in good shape for the shape I'm in.

I'm still enjoying the Young Hawks and love it when they win - - Like last night.

Glad you're still kicking and in good health.
And yes, the young Hawks are fun when they can put it together like last night.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#13 » by Hazer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 pm

Trae + Huerter + Collins + CLP = now impossible to tank to the bottom
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

We'll see.

I still suspect that Rookie Wall is coming for our back court.

And with a 7 game road trip coming up next week, things could ugly before a very favorable home schedule next month.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#15 » by ATL Boy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 pm

graymule wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

GO ATL HAWKS !!

8-)

Grand indeed!

Stay strong and healthy GM. Hopefully the young Hawks can give you some playoff games to look forward to next season.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#16 » by Buzzard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 am

I would say the Suns are tanking quietly and mostly through Booker. We are halfway through January and he has only played in four games and he has missed 13 of 45 total games ( played in 32 ). Unless the league starts asking for medical proof, I think that trend will continue.

Maybe its not really tanking and they are just protecting a franchise player and huge contract. Here is something crazy, the Suns beat Sacramento and Denver last week without Booker.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
saloonyk8
Rookie
And1: 130

Post#17 » by saloonyk8 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:39 am

Would love to see Lin, Baze, Dedmon and Prince traded even if we get future late 1st those are valuable for acquiring players later on. We need to also ensure bottom 5 status, Zion and Barrett are next level talents
Commit to the process
observer1995
Junior
And1: 189

Post#18 » by observer1995 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:22 am

If the Hawks actually wanted to tank, they could simply sit John Collins back down because he hurt the same ankle again instead of making any trades (a trade or two could happen though). But it feels like to me they don't want to really tank, and if they were to sit him, they'd most likely hear something from Adam Silver.

So I'd get ready, I don't think the recent pace continues, but the Hawks are going to play by the way they want to, and most likely finish with 25-28 wins this year.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#19 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:07 pm

observer1995 wrote:If the Hawks actually wanted to tank, they could simply sit John Collins back down because he hurt the same ankle again instead of making any trades (a trade or two could happen though). But it feels like to me they don't want to really tank, and if they were to sit him, they'd most likely hear something from Adam Silver.

So I'd get ready, I don't think the recent pace continues, but the Hawks are going to play by the way they want to, and most likely finish with 25-28 wins this year.

The trades are needed for anyone we don't plan to and/or want to retain after this year who isn't key to the development of our young players.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#20 » by peoriabird » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
observer1995 wrote:If the Hawks actually wanted to tank, they could simply sit John Collins back down because he hurt the same ankle again instead of making any trades (a trade or two could happen though). But it feels like to me they don't want to really tank, and if they were to sit him, they'd most likely hear something from Adam Silver.

The trades are needed for anyone we don't plan to and/or want to retain after this year who isn't key to the development of our young players.

No more 2nd round picks please...They are useless! If the Hawks are getting those kind of offers, Just keep the vet! Especially Dedmon.

Return to Atlanta Hawks