ImageImage

Al Horford

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Re: Al Horford 

Post#181 » by atlantabbq99 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 am

Horford's poor performance in the playoffs the last two years for the Celtics shows that he is not worth any sort of sizable contract.

At this point of his career, Horford is just a very good fifth option or very good bench player.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,899

Post#182 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:11 pm

D21 wrote:Anybody shocked by the same scenario for Horford Free Agency ?

When ATL F.A., he was asking to improve the team, so they looked at the problem : rebounding. They contact Howard, with their minds on playing him with Horford and Millsap, or Horford alone, and then, he stops negociating because he don't get 5M more (which would have set him at the exact annual salary of BOS offer).

With BOS, he was supposed to take less to help the team, everybody supposed it was 15M/year for several years instead of 30M this coming season, there is negociations... and then he stops...

I'm starting to think it may not be due to BOS offering less than hoped, but link to the Capela rumor being traded to BOS, and that Horford want to be the main guy in the frontcourt

Dwight coming, he leaves while he could stay
Rumor of Capela to BOS, he leaves (even if it's a bit different because we don't know if he would have been involved)
Nice points.
He wants to decide his future and not have it decided for him. I do believe the Houston rumors are very accurate.
Nice chess play by AL but a 4yr deal will handicap most teams.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#183 » by HMFFL » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Marc Stein

@TheSteinLine

The belief making the front-office rounds tonight is that Al Horford already knows there’s a four-year contract worth in excess of $100 million waiting out there for him June 30 .. knowledge that led to Horford’s talks with the Celtics dissolving

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,356

Post#184 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:02 am

Read on Twitter
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 3:15 am

Horford has been on the decline for years. Next year he will take another big decline. Sixers are starting to remind me of the Larry Hughes Wizards, a very deep team but with no top 5 player.

Celtics and now the Sixers..... Al is just blatantly ring chasing now :lol:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#186 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:16 am

76ers are deep now.
It's ashame Simmons cant shoot for ****!
Just wait until he signs the max and still not able to shoot..lol

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#187 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:05 pm

The Sixers Overhauled Their Roster—Again—to Remain Contenders in the East

By shipping out Jimmy Butler for Josh Richardson and acquiring Al Horford, Philly is going big on another reboot

The Sixers used the money they didn’t spend on Butler to sign Al Horford to a four-year deal worth $109 million, with $97 million guaranteed, according to Woj, and the rest tied up in championship bonuses that the Sixers would no doubt be delighted to pay out in a post-parade scenario. I’m not wild about giving four years to a second center who is 33 years old, but Horford does a lot of things well. He is an excellent passer, rebounder, and defender. He shoots the 3 and is universally hailed as a good human and positive locker room presence. He can play with Embiid, or Brown could stagger their minutes, and he’s the load management Joel insurance policy that the Sixers lacked last season when they were trying in vain to squeeze a few good minutes out of Greg Monroe in the playoffs.

Maybe the back end of that contract won’t look so good as Horford gets older, but Philadelphia is trying to win sooner rather than later anyway. It also makes the Sixers really big and a potential matchup nightmare for lesser teams that might otherwise prefer to go small. (Even better: Sixers fans who previously killed Horford and called him Average Al are now forced to root for him; local sports talk radio will completely short circuit, and I want to hear all of it.)
The Ringer
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant

Post#188 » by atlantabbq99 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:51 pm

Here is the real question...

Will Horford thrive or get exposed now that he is finally playing PF for the VERY FIRST TIME in his career???
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#189 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#190 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:20 pm

Man, it's night and day seeing how Boston fans have reacted to Horford's departure vs Hawks fans...

GoCeltics123 wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO

illmatic24 wrote:Losing him sucks. Him going to Philly really makes it sting. Still wish him all the best but at this point I hope he never wins a championship with them. Can't root for that team to succeed, sorry.

threrf23 wrote:I'm happy for Al, he's getting paid and now has a chance to show Danny up. Happy for us because we can do better without that salary on our books. I'll be pissed if this board now treats Al like they treated Ray when he left for Miami. Not that anybody shoot be rooting for him in Philly.

Froob wrote:Disgusting to see him go there. Good luck to him, it was a lot of fun.

SuperDeluxe wrote:My favourite Celtic along with Smart. A big thank you for everything he brought to the table. Will be missed.

CSL_1904 wrote:Nothing but love from my part.

Wish him all the luck, apart from when he plays against us.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Admittedly...it wasn't all hugs and kisses.

bs_and_cs wrote:No thanks. He went to a fierce rival? I have no love for him.

Romeiro Celtic wrote:I hope with all my strengths that the Sixers implode next season. I can't be happy for Horford and I'm feeling disgusted to see him joining the Sixers. I hate all of them.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#191 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:26 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Man, it's night and day seeing how Boston fans have reacted to Horford's departure vs Hawks fans...

GoCeltics123 wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO

illmatic24 wrote:Losing him sucks. Him going to Philly really makes it sting. Still wish him all the best but at this point I hope he never wins a championship with them. Can't root for that team to succeed, sorry.

threrf23 wrote:I'm happy for Al, he's getting paid and now has a chance to show Danny up. Happy for us because we can do better without that salary on our books. I'll be pissed if this board now treats Al like they treated Ray when he left for Miami. Not that anybody shoot be rooting for him in Philly.

Froob wrote:Disgusting to see him go there. Good luck to him, it was a lot of fun.

SuperDeluxe wrote:My favourite Celtic along with Smart. A big thank you for everything he brought to the table. Will be missed.

CSL_1904 wrote:Nothing but love from my part.

Wish him all the luck, apart from when he plays against us.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Admittedly...it wasn't all hugs and kisses.

bs_and_cs wrote:No thanks. He went to a fierce rival? I have no love for him.

Romeiro Celtic wrote:I hope with all my strengths that the Sixers implode next season. I can't be happy for Horford and I'm feeling disgusted to see him joining the Sixers. I hate all of them.

Ha, Boston fans saving all their salt for Kyrie.
Did his Dad or Sis say anything about the Boston Fans?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#192 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:40 pm

jayu70 wrote:Ha, Boston fans saving all their salt for Kyrie.

And it will be well deserved....

jayu70 wrote:Did his Dad or Sis say anything about the Boston Fans?

They appear to be on better terms...

Read on Twitter

The Comedian wrote:Damn, you can tell when people are being full of **** about leaving a team/city. That is so far from the case here, they genuinely loved Boston.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#193 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:42 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Man, it's night and day seeing how Boston fans have reacted to Horford's departure vs Hawks fans...

This was necessary?

... and an apples to apples comparison in the first place?

Shame on you, @jamalllo. You're better than this.
king01 :king:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#194 » by kg01 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

king01 :king:
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#195 » by MaceCase » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:18 pm

Don’t mind them, Boston fans are still in shock. They were all in the middle of polishing their solid gold statue of Ainge in Moses robes leading Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving and Al Horford to the promised land before they realized they had to make busts for Kemba Walker and Enes Kanter instead.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#196 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:28 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Read on Twitter

Feels like I’m going through a breakup? Dudes go out with her? I thought they just gave it to her night 1 and say SEES (Celts) ya Biatch!

Oh Comon! Nothing for that? :lol:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#197 » by Spud2nique » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Last year at this time I said Raps were coming out of the east. This year, it’s Philly if healthy. That’s a playoff death lineup.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#198 » by HMFFL » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:04 pm

Philly looks solid and Horford will take much needed pressure off Joel playing along side him. Philly does lose JJ who signed with New Orleans.

D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#199 » by D21 » Tue Jul 2, 2019 8:08 am

HMFFL wrote:
D21 wrote:Anybody shocked by the same scenario for Horford Free Agency ?

When ATL F.A., he was asking to improve the team, so they looked at the problem : rebounding. They contact Howard, with their minds on playing him with Horford and Millsap, or Horford alone, and then, he stops negociating because he don't get 5M more (which would have set him at the exact annual salary of BOS offer).

With BOS, he was supposed to take less to help the team, everybody supposed it was 15M/year for several years instead of 30M this coming season, there is negociations... and then he stops...

I'm starting to think it may not be due to BOS offering less than hoped, but link to the Capela rumor being traded to BOS, and that Horford want to be the main guy in the frontcourt

Dwight coming, he leaves while he could stay
Rumor of Capela to BOS, he leaves (even if it's a bit different because we don't know if he would have been involved)
Nice points.
He wants to decide his future and not have it decided for him. I do believe the Houston rumors are very accurate.
Nice chess play by AL but a 4yr deal will handicap most teams.

Now, I can add that for the second time, he goes to a team being a "rival" of his previous team... ;-)

For PHI, the loss of JJ will have an huge impact, and I'm sure that JJ would have been the missing thing for MIL regarding their last year roster. They would have been better with Brogdon at 85/4 and JJ at 26/2 and more fillers than with Middleton at 180/5
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,868

Post#200 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:01 am

MaceCase wrote:Don’t mind them, Boston fans are still in shock. They were all in the middle of polishing their solid gold statue of Ainge in Moses robes leading Paul George, Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Kyrie Irving and Al Horford to the promised land before they realized they had to make busts for Kemba Walker and Enes Kanter instead.

You called it....reality setting in:

Red2RealGMUnread post#1 » Today 1:34 pm

I know the mature thing is to wish Al well and say that we understand why he left, had to take care of his family etc etc. You never known when you're going to need that extra $15-$20M. He could have gone almost anywhere and I would have been ok with it but to go to the Sixers knowing that he was going to make them a title contender while at the same time doing major damage to us- that is hard to swallow. It's shades of Ray Allen going to the Heat with LeBron and winning a title with them. Ray got another ring but forever destroyed any chance of having his jersey hang in the Boston Garden. For me the same with Al. He made his choice but I don't have to celebrate it and I hope we beat them every time we play them.

And they wondered why Hawks fan were upset! Not that he left but how and to where! And so...it comes full circle!
:lol: :lol:

Return to Atlanta Hawks