ImageImage

John Collins Edited: (Hawks Seek Lottery Pick For Collins)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,533

Re: John Collins 

Post#101 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 2, 2020 6:52 pm

HMFFL wrote:John Collins Trade Rumors: Multiple Teams 'Feeling Out' Hawks' Price for PF

Multiple teams have reportedly reached out to the Atlanta Hawks to gauge their interest in trading forward John Collins but have been rebuffed.

I like really like John Collins and hope he's here in Atlanta for the long haul, but if our true goal is winning a title in the next decade, we have to at least consider crafting a trade package centered around JC.

KAT, Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Rudy Gobert, Giannis, Siakam are the caliber of big men I'd consider moving JC for.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,952

Post#102 » by jayu70 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 7:41 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
HMFFL wrote:John Collins Trade Rumors: Multiple Teams 'Feeling Out' Hawks' Price for PF

Multiple teams have reportedly reached out to the Atlanta Hawks to gauge their interest in trading forward John Collins but have been rebuffed.

I like really like John Collins and hope he's here in Atlanta for the long haul, but if our true goal is winning a title in the next decade, we have to at least consider crafting a trade package centered around JC.

KAT, Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Rudy Gobert, Giannis, Siakam are the caliber of big men I'd consider moving JC for.

Rumor is Collins is only available as part of a deal for a Superstar Center like when the KAT rumors started.
Not available for Centers like Capela who are one dimensional offensive players. They'll want to pair him with Capela like players.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#103 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:48 am

John Collins' thought on trade speculation:

He said last week his predictive powers about what’s going to happen at the trade deadline normally became true the past two years. Maybe his trade senses aren’t as prescient as he believes because he didn’t expect to click on a story from The Athletic’s Shams Charania and see his name mentioned.

“I was intrigued. I clicked on it and wanted to see what people had to say,” Collins said. “I wanted to see the comments. I wasn’t happy or sad about it. I was just more interested in my name being in talks. It’s fun. I know my value with how I’m playing, and I know what I bring to this team. I’m not really too concerned with my standing with them. I haven’t said anything to them about it. I’m pretty calm on my end.”

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:53 pm

Seems unlikely he'll be recognized months after his suspension...but

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:06 am

Did he answer the question? Ummm...

Chris Kirchner wrote:Travis Schlenk answers the John Collins question

Collins is expected to command a salary at or near the max. The Hawks don’t necessarily have to pay him this summer. They could wait until the summer of 2021 to retain his restricted free agency rights and let the market set what he should be paid. Collins and his representation, however, will want to get a deal done as soon as possible.

Collins has developed into one of the best young power forwards in the league. He has turned into a good defensive player this season, and there are few as gifted as him on the offensive end of the floor. When directly asked if he considers Collins a priority for the Hawks’ future, Schlenk gave a succinct answer.

“Yeah. John is one of our best players,” Schlenk said.
The Athletic
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,430

Post#106 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm

hey guys, comming in peace

i have an interesting offer on the table in my keepers fantasy league. id like to hear from hawks experts, how could capela affect collins' role.

obviously im more interested in the fantasy side of things, but i appreciate everything you guys have for me. do you think capela will cut into collins minutes a lot? and is collins a part of featured offense or does he generally get his buckets from 2nd chance points, fast breaks, etc.

idk much about the hawks and your system with trae at the point, but im still looking for the 3rd keeper in my league and expect like top 30 value in a 9 cat head to head league from that player. Collins was a top 10 guy for a couple weeks now and i know he will drop off with capela joining the team. the questin is how much does capela play a role in Collins' impact on the floor.

like i said, comming in peace and appreciate each and every input u guys have for me.
im bout dat action boss
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,061

Post#107 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Seems unlikely he'll be recognized months after his suspension...but

Read on Twitter
Very impressive!
One heck of s month for the young man.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#108 » by D21 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:34 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:hey guys, comming in peace

i have an interesting offer on the table in my keepers fantasy league. id like to hear from hawks experts, how could capela affect collins' role.

obviously im more interested in the fantasy side of things, but i appreciate everything you guys have for me. do you think capela will cut into collins minutes a lot? and is collins a part of featured offense or does he generally get his buckets from 2nd chance points, fast breaks, etc.

idk much about the hawks and your system with trae at the point, but im still looking for the 3rd keeper in my league and expect like top 30 value in a 9 cat head to head league from that player. Collins was a top 10 guy for a couple weeks now and i know he will drop off with capela joining the team. the questin is how much does capela play a role in Collins' impact on the floor.

like i said, comming in peace and appreciate each and every input u guys have for me.

I'm not sure he will loose on rebounding, he can see Clint protecting the rim on penetrations and Collins getting some rebound, or on opponents jum shots, Clint boxing out for Collins, more than the opposite.

On offense, I think they will put pressure on opponents by showing Trae can pick'n' roll will both, but Collins will stay the primary target, as it will be easier for Clint to stay healthy and good on defense if he does'nt have to be the primary target.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#109 » by jayu70 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:36 pm

The Collins/Capela pairing.
Read on Twitter

There are three key reasons I believe Collins can work as the power forward. The first one relates to the sheer gravity of Young. Teams have to commit to him near the logo, which naturally creates more space than a point guard like Russell Westbrook or Chris Paul would create. This leaves room for two smart rollers to work in tandem to generate offense, providing the team plays at pace.

The second one relates to Capela’s roll gravity and the continued development of Kevin Huerter and Cam Reddish. It suggests that Collins has a clear path to getting more space on the perimeter. Jones admittedly did have pretty good roll gravity, ranking in the 96th percentile with nearly 35% of his overall plays coming with him as the roll-man. But Capela offers more on the defensive end which means he can stay on the court for longer than 15 minutes a game. This ability from Capela to pull help defenders into the paint should lead to more open looks for John Collins on the perimeter, as opposed to him having to take late shot-clock attempts out of drive-and-kick situations.

The third reason I believe he can work is based more on projection, but is arguably the most important factor. If the Hawks want Collins to work with a rim runner, then he needs to be utilized as a mismatch attacker, in an almost instant offense type role from the elbows and from the perimeter. There are signs he should be able to do this, but it is up to the Hawks to give him touches and keep him involved in the set plays. If they just run a four-out offense with him standing in the corner, then he will obviously not be optimized and this won’t work.

Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,475

Post#110 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#111 » by CP War Hawks » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:29 pm

If John can just stay healthy and drug free, his price tag will start at around 25. Any hope of getting him at where Sabonis and Turner signed is lost.

The bad things with hitting on the draft. The Jaylen Brown contract is what other teams may be willing to pay him if you let him hit RFA.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,618

Post#112 » by NYG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:50 pm

CP War Hawks wrote:If John can just stay healthy and drug free, his price tag will start at around 25. Any hope of getting him at where Sabonis and Turner signed is lost.

The bad things with hitting on the draft. The Jaylen Brown contract is what other teams may be willing to pay him if you let him hit RFA.

Do the Hawks want to pay that? Does the Capela deal make it more or less likely they move Collins? What would the Hawks even want for Collins?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#113 » by jayu70 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:02 pm

NYG wrote:
CP War Hawks wrote:If John can just stay healthy and drug free, his price tag will start at around 25. Any hope of getting him at where Sabonis and Turner signed is lost.

Do the Hawks want to pay that? Does the Capela deal make it more or less likely they move Collins? What would the Hawks even want for Collins?

Having Capela who is our Center has no bearing on Collins the PF. Collins is a 4 that can play some 5.
I've said I see his deal in the 18-20% of the cap, he's putting up 20/10. If he improves his defense over the last few games of the season, that can change.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:09 am

NYG wrote:Do the Hawks want to pay that? Does the Capela deal make it more or less likely they move Collins? What would the Hawks even want for Collins?

It would have to be a big deal that brought in a major player. Collins would likely be the centerpiece in talks for Giannis, KAT, Ben Simmons or another potentially disgruntled superstar. Beyond that, Hawks are likely to see how a front court of Capela and Collins plays out before making any long term decisions.

Two weeks ago:

Code: Select all

A league source mentioned Houston and Brooklyn specifically expressing interest in acquiring Collins in the days leading up to the trade deadline. Teams that have had discussions with the Hawks have come under the belief that Atlanta is not interested in moving Collins at this time...

Collins is eligible for a rookie extension this offseason; he’s expected to ask for a deal that is near or at the max, according to multiple league sources. The Hawks could decide that he’s not worth that price and explore trading him this summer, much like what they did with Taurean Prince last summer. They also could see how a Capela and Collins frontcourt works for the rest of the season. But, to be clear, Collins is not being dangled in any trade discussions from Atlanta.
The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM

Post#115 » by jayu70 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:05 am

The JC kid is really cranking it up of late. He's gonna cost us a fortune to keep around.

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#117 » by Radioblacktive1 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:07 am

Well bring in the Brinks truck
D21
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#118 » by D21 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:The JC kid is really cranking it up of late. He's gonna cost us a fortune to keep around.

He brings a lot and still have room to improve. The only thing that can help not giving him the Max is that he doesn't have a similar impact than the other guys having these kind of stats, he's not leading in advanced stats the way other guys with big contracts are leading.

Don't get me wrong, he will have a bigger impact for sure, but at this moment, he didn't show more than what Sabonis did for IND, and Sabonis contract is lower than 20M/yr.
It can also be due to the 25 missed games, so it will be decided on the games left. I hope we can keep him for something between Sabonis contract and the Max, so around 23M/year

I just don't like to see players getting Max contracts when the team has not reach the playoffs but they have big individual stats, but it seems to not happen so much now in the league, and history shows a lot of team having offered Max contracts in this situation with no big team progress (MIN, PHO,...).

The best would be to set a lower contract but with big bonus mainly based on the team goals (round of playoffs reached for example), more than personnal goals like All-Star (even if it adds some hype to the team and generate more revenue) or personal stats.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,475

Post#119 » by Ball4life32 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:47 pm

D21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:The JC kid is really cranking it up of late. He's gonna cost us a fortune to keep around.

He brings a lot and still have room to improve. The only thing that can help not giving him the Max is that he doesn't have a similar impact than the other guys having these kind of stats, he's not leading in advanced stats the way other guys with big contracts are leading.

Don't get me wrong, he will have a bigger impact for sure, but at this moment, he didn't show more than what Sabonis did for IND, and Sabonis contract is lower than 20M/yr.
It can also be due to the 25 missed games, so it will be decided on the games left. I hope we can keep him for something between Sabonis contract and the Max, so around 23M/year

I just don't like to see players getting Max contracts when the team has not reach the playoffs but they have big individual stats, but it seems to not happen so much now in the league, and history shows a lot of team having offered Max contracts in this situation with no big team progress (MIN, PHO,...).

The best would be to set a lower contract but with big bonus mainly based on the team goals (round of playoffs reached for example), more than personnal goals like All-Star (even if it adds some hype to the team and generate more revenue) or personal stats.

I know he hasn’t led the Hawks to the playoffs but still think he makes a big impact.

Hawks were 4-21 when Collins was suspended. So 6-24 when he returned & had the worst record in the league. On his recent 19 game tear the Hawks are 9-10 & seems the team is playing more competitive even in losses. Big improvement.

Last year he was injured in preseason & missed the first 15 games + played the first 3 game on min restriction. Hawks were 3-15. Worst record in the league. Believe they ended the season something like 19-24 so again big improvement.

So 7-36 in that stretch without him to start the last 2 years. Some of the improvements can be pinned to the rookies playing better but still pretty clear the team is significantly better with Collins playing.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#120 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:39 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Hawks