Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Re: I like our core 

Post#81 » by Hazer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 am

jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Hazer wrote:Shhhhhhhh, don’t poke it, it’s hibernating. Actually, since JJJ has sputtered a bit lately, the Hawks are far outperforming his projections, CLP is looking like a damn good coach, and his claim to always be right and superior has been yet again exposed, haven’t seen much of your boy around these parts recently. He’ll be back, as soon as Hawks hit a wall and JJJ picks it up again, count on it. Because, you know, he’s a “HAWKS” fan.

LOL! I want to hear from him because his 18 win projection is in serious jeopardy! Plus like you stated accurately, Pierce his killed it! If he get these turnovers under control, He should be considered for coach of the year. Like Ben Hill said...It is so nice to see rebounding to make a come back in Atlanta!

He disappeared when the Hawks had the 3 game win streak in mid December.

Yeah, that pretty much blew his “I generously put them at 18 wins but feel I should probably revise that downward because they’re going to be the worst team in the league, historically bad” prediction all to hell, didn’t it?! Hahaaa, “book it.” :roll:
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
observer1995
Junior
And1: 189

Post#82 » by observer1995 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:15 am

I believe this season lends a lot of credence to veterans can help a lot with teaching and being leaders, but they don't have to be the better players on the team for you to be above bottom 3 in the NBA. Vince Carter is Trae Young's mentor and a leader for the team, but while he's a contributor, he's not one of the top players on the team.

Outside of Zion, tbh I don't think there's a guy that can be a generational player in the draft for 2019. If we're not going for #1, and frankly I don't care to as it will not help with trying to build good habits, the focus should be on drafting a big wing that has raw talent and the ability to defend (Sekou might fit this really well), and overall trying to help bolster the defense, while also keeping a veteran presence that the kids will look up to.

If everything goes as it seems for the rest of the season, the natural progression might be from 25-28 wins to hovering around the 8 seed.
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#83 » by graymule » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:18 pm

8-)

Let's examine our position. That "high" win prediction of 18 for the season - - 14 down and 4 to go and we're not
to the all star break or the trading deadline. Personally, I believe we will make it!

Remember this. No major trades or movement have been made. Original players and coaches still here. I hope
the Hawks retain Vince Carter this season AND the next one as well.

Love our recent starting five!! Our core. With trades at the deadline and next draft, we will grow big time!

GO ATL HAWKS ! - :D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#84 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:47 pm

If he stays in the East and we actually become a top-4 team in the conference, I also see K Huerter snagging a role as a reserve once or twice in his career. He seems like a guy coaches will love to root for and reward.

Which NBA Rookies Will Join L**a D****c in an All-Star Game Someday?

Trae Young, Atlanta Hawks

Trae Young shouldn't be judged by his rookie shooting percentages. Instead, the positives outweigh the inefficiency, given his age (20) and the lack of support in Atlanta.

He's averaging 16.0 points and 7.2 assists, and that's while missing 3.7 of his 5.2 three-point attempts per game. Based on Young's shot-making and range, he figures to eventually raise that three-point mark over the next few seasons, which would help bring up his scoring average in turn.

Meanwhile, his passing still remains his most distinguishable and bankable skill. The better the players Atlanta puts around Young, the more dangerous he becomes as a playmaker, and he's already No. 9 in the NBA in assists with John Collins as the team's No. 1 option.

In any event, the production looks like it will be there for Young. The ball is his in Atlanta, and he's proved he can score and create without standout tools or explosiveness.

His All-Star chances will receive a boost when he guides Atlanta out from tanking mode. Over the past six games, Young has flashed glimpses of that potential by averaging 20.5 points and 5.5 assists with wins over the Oklahoma City Thunder, Philadelphia 76ers and Miami Heat.

The Hawks have some other promising pieces to build with in Collins, Kevin Huerter, Taurean Prince and coach Lloyd Pierce. The rebuild will require patience, but after a few more seasons, the Hawks could have enough blossoming talent and chemistry for a breakout season. And Young has the offensive upside to be behind it, running the show.
Bleacher Report

Spoiler:
Extra rookie stats and notes

• With 16.8 drives per game, Young is tied for third in the NBA with Russell Westbrook and John Wall. On those drives, he's converting shots at a 51.2 percent clip—higher than Westbrook's, Donovan Mitchell's and Kemba Walker's. It's notable, considering there were predraft questions about his lack of size, strength and athleticism.
  • He's made just 30.5 percent of his 6.2 pull-ups per game and only 32.9 percent of his catch-and-shoot chances. There is major room for Young to improve here and a high likelihood that he does.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#85 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Zach Lowe wrote:Ten things I like and don't like

DeAndre' Bembry, finding his footing

A year ago, Bembry didn't look like an NBA player. He could barely dribble. He had the worst turnover rate in the league.

The on-court struggles were understandable, and didn't matter compared to what Bembry must have been going through away from basketball. He was mourning the June 2016 shooting death of his brother, Adrian Potts.

Bembry's play this season has been one of the league's happiest stories. He is Atlanta's best defender, hounding opponents across all three perimeter positions. He has a more sophisticated, confident pick-and-roll game. He can change speeds, loft high-arching layups with either hand, and even manipulate help defenders with mean pass fakes.

The Hawks have a better scoring margin with Bembry on the floor. Their current starting lineup -- Young, Bembry, feisty ginger Kevin Huerter, John Collins and Dewayne Dedmon -- is plus-25 in 74 minutes. Atlanta is 8-7 over its past 15 games, coinciding almost exactly with Lloyd Pierce trying that group.

Let's not go crazy. Bembry still turns the ball over too much. He struggles shooting outside the restricted area. But he looks competent -- like he belongs. That is a start.
ESPN
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#86 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Michael Cunningham wrote:Hawks have promising young core with Collins, Young and Huerter

Watch the Hawks play enough games, and you’ll see they have the makings of a good, young core with second-year standout John Collins and promising rookies Trae Young and Kevin Huerter. “Core” became a dirty word around here when it was associated with a Hawks team that had topped out but was stubbornly kept together. Now it represents genuine hope for a better Hawks future. A lot still must go right for the Hawks to become a contending team, and it’s possible they never will, but those young players from their past two drafts give them something to work with.

It’s here that I note, as always, I don’t blame those Hawks fans who don’t like the rebuild.

The Hawks are building a team to general manager Travis Schlenk’s “dribble, pass, shoot” specifications. Young, Huerter and Collins can do at least two of the three right now. They have the potential to develop into complete offensive players. The Hawks want to attack. Collins, Young and Huerter can do that.

Collins is a relentless force at the rim while averaging 18.8 points and 10.4 rebounds per game. Collins is at the apex of potential and production. It’s no coincidence that Hawks are better in nearly every statistical category when he’s on the court vs. off. Collins still is just 21-years old, so there’s room for growth.

Young, the point guard, is a superlative ballhandler and passer (7.2 assists per game). Young makes the Hawks go with his vision and feel for the game. As expected, he couldn’t sustain his strong start to the season as his offensive efficiency dropped off. But there’s evidence Young is figuring some things out.

Huerter is a play-making wing who’s been one of the best three-point shooters at his position (39 percent on 4.4 attempts per game). Huerter was billed as a shooter out of Maryland and he’s lived up to that. He’s got a good feel for the game, like Young. Huerter’s also got good size for a wing, allowing him to see the floor as a passer and create shots in the short mid-range area.

The Hawks have a good nucleus of 21-and-under players with Young, Huerter and Collins. Schlenk can add to it in the next draft. The Hawks figure to have two top-10 picks.
AJC.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#87 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 4, 2019 12:50 pm

Trae Young and John Collins a duo for the future

With two immensely talented building blocks in John Collins and Trae Young, the future is looking very bright for the Atlanta Hawks in the present

the Atlanta Hawks are building from the ground up, and even early on, it looks as though they’ve found themselves two gems with which to build around.

John Collins entered the league the 19th overall pick by Atlanta in the 2017 NBA Draft. At 6’10”, he had tremendous potential as an inside finisher and elite rim runner. Collins’ inaugural season paled in comparison to that of his rookie cohorts, some of who would go on tremendous playoff runs. It’s been in year two, though, where the former Wake Forest forward has established himself as one of the best young talents in the entire NBA.

It is also important to keep in mind that JC isn’t simply putting up empty calorie stats. Atlanta’s offensive rating jumps 11.6 points per 100 possessions with Collins on the floor. So while the Hawks haven’t found themselves on the winning side of most games with a 17-35 record, it’s scary to imagine what their win total would be without the services of their young star.

Trae Young was the ultimate boom or bust prospect leading up to the draft. With deep range on his jumper and unteachable point guard skills, some had invoked similarities to Stephen Curry. Like most rookies, Young has seen his fair share of ups and downs. He’s shooting just 41.1 percent from the field and 30.6 percent from downtown. He’s averaging 4.0 turnovers per game and is significantly better in wins compared to losses.

On the flip side, he’s also putting up 16.9 points and 7.4 assists per game, having taken home two of the three Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month awards, including this past January. Through it all, Young continues to flash those same gifts that made him a must-watch prospect at Oklahoma last year on a Hawks team content to let their young floor general learn from his mistakes.
Hoops Habit
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#88 » by peoriabird » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:15 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Trae Young was the ultimate boom or bust prospect leading up to the draft. With deep range on his jumper and unteachable point guard skills, some had invoked similarities to Stephen Curry. Like most rookies, Young has seen his fair share of ups and downs. He’s shooting just 41.1 percent from the field and 30.6 percent from downtown. He’s averaging 4.0 turnovers per game and is significantly better in wins compared to losses.

Call me sensitive but everyone always seem to feel obligated to thrown shade on Young when talking about his accomplishments. I wonder was it like this with Paul when he put up almost the same percentages? Doncic is averaging 3.2 turnovers per game with a worse assist to turnover ratio than Young...Why is this not pointed out? He is also shooting only 2% better from the field. I hope the media at some point starts to embrace how good this kid is.
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#89 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:59 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Call me sensitive but everyone always seem to feel obligated to thrown shade on Young when talking about his accomplishments. I wonder was it like this with Paul when he put up almost the same percentages? Doncic is averaging 3.2 turnovers per game with a worse assist to turnover ratio than Young...Why is this not pointed out? He is also shooting only 2% better from the field. I hope the media at some point starts to embrace how good this kid is.

I think a big part of it is because he started the season shooting so very badly that it reinforced a lot of people's negative views and so they have to throw some shade as a backhanded way of reassuring themselves they weren't completely wrong on him.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#90 » by peoriabird » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:06 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
[/b][/size]

I think a big part of it is because he started the season shooting so very badly that it reinforced a lot of people's negative views and so they have to throw some shade as a backhanded way of reassuring themselves they weren't completely wrong on him.

2nd rate journalism I guess...Just like that lazy bias Brad Roland! What a shame!
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:09 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:[/b][/size]

2nd rate journalism I guess! What a shame!

His recent play is amazing -- which goes to show just how bad his shooting was early in the year that his number still suck on the season. He is pulling them up quickly but dug himself such a big hole.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#92 » by peoriabird » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:14 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:

2nd rate journalism I guess! What a shame!

His recent play is amazing -- which goes to show just how bad his shooting was early in the year that his number still suck on the season. He is pulling them up quickly but dug himself such a big hole.

Sorry...Bad excuse! He been rookie of the month every month in the east. But whatever. :banghead:
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:18 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
peoriabird wrote:2nd rate journalism I guess! What a shame!

Sorry...Bad excuse! He been rookie of the month every month in the east. But whatever. :banghead:

First, that is wrong as Kevin Knox won it for December (although I think Young should have won it over him).

Second, Rookie of the Month is a relative title. Him winning the November ROM award was liking being the tallest pre-schooler. Sure you are the tallest but 3'8'' isn't impressing anybody when you step on to play against a bunch of grown men. He backed into that one given the total lack of competition. Shooting less than 36% from the floor and less than 20% from the 3pt arc and still winning rookie of the month just shows how little that can mean. He wouldn't have been top 3 in the West that month.

His win this month is 100% legit.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#94 » by hawkmanreturns » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:36 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

You're not alone with that observation. It's as if everyone completely forgot how hard it is for a Rookie PG to come in and dominate in season one. They're holding Trae to some imaginary standard that I've never seen other Rookie PGs held to. Just look at Lonzo Ball or De'aaron Fox's stats last season. Trae is way ahead of schedule. 8-)
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#95 » by kg01 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 4:48 pm

hawkmanreturns wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
[/b][/size]

You're not alone with that observation. It's as if everyone completely forgot how hard it is for a Rookie PG to come in and dominate in season one. They're holding Trae to some imaginary standard that I've never seen other Rookie PGs held to. Just look at Lonzo Ball or De'aaron Fox's stats last season. Trae is way ahead of schedule. 8-)

Plus it's not like he had a Finals-winning coach, 2 vets teammates who've won titles, two other high-level/defensive-minded roleplayers and a vet-laden bench to help him along the way. That would've been a perfect setup for an experienced rookie to walk into. :wink:
king01 :king:
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#96 » by jayu70 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:07 pm

peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Peo is Sensitive. There i said it. :D.
Seriously, it because Luka came out the box fully assembled and ready to play, while Trae needed some assembly so he's playing catchup. Unfortunately, His November stats is what most remember and judge him by unless you are a true Hawks fan and watch him every game.

Some fool on the GB saying that Trae's size limits his ability to pass out of double teams unlike Luka who's taller., smdh.

Being a Hawks fan ain easy.
hawkmanreturns
Junior
And1: 735

Post#97 » by hawkmanreturns » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:49 pm

jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
[/b][/size]

Seriously, it because Luka came out the box fully assembled and ready to play, while Trae needed some assembly so he's playing catchup. Unfortunately, His November stats is what most remember and judge him by unless you are a true Hawks fan and watch him every game.

Some fool on the GB saying that Trae's size limits his ability to pass out of double teams unlike Luka who's taller., smdh.

No it's not. Listening to and reading these talking head's opinions of the Hawks hurts my ears/eyes. They only care about big market teams. If Lonzo had Trae's stats as a Rookie we'd never hear the end of it. Imagine if Trae played for the Knicks. Heck, imagine if John Collins played for the Lakers or Knicks. :-?
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,615

Post#98 » by kg01 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:55 pm

hawkmanreturns wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:[/b][/size]

No it's not. Listening to and reading these talking head's opinions of the Hawks hurts my ears/eyes. They only care about big market teams. If Lonzo had Trae's stats as a Rookie we'd never here the end of it. Imagine if Trae played for the Knicks. Heck, imagine if John Collins played for the Lakers or Knicks. :-?

Haha, yep. For now, I guess we'll have to settle for beating those teams and having their fans go all ..."Man the Hawks are fun to watch ... why didn't we draft Collins our guy sucks ... :evil: "

Now that I think of it, how many going-nowhere teams are out there right now? Imagine being a DET or MIA fan? yikes Somebody put Henry Ellenson, Luke Kennard and StanJo (the banjo) on a milk carton.
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#99 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:17 am

Which NBA Teams Have the Best Young Cores?

Tier 3: Atlanta

Star Prospects: John Collins; Trae Young

Other Notable Players:
Kevin Huerter; Omari Spellman

Schedule the Hawks for entry into the next tier in T-minus, oh, by-the-start-of-next-season. John Collins is coming for stardom in an Eastern Conference begging for new members, pre-Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis joining the Knicks, of course.

Defense remains a struggle when Collins is on the floor, which for now, drags down his would-be peak. As Jeff Siegel wrote for Peachtree Hoops:
"For the moment, Collins plays power forward in part because he's not good enough defensively to play the most important defensive position on the floor, which puts some limits on what the Hawks can do from a team-building and lineup construction perspective. The Hawks do have two rotation-quality NBA centers in Dewayne Demon and Alex Len, which further explains why Collins operates at the power forward spot for the vast majority of his court time. With that said, Collins currently has to be paired with a defensive center who is capable of spacing the floor offensively and, in turn, that allows the second-year big man to be the main dive threat in pick-and-roll."

Collins' holes present real problems for Atlanta's lineup structure. But they're not damning enough to harsh his offensive progress and activity on the glass. Assuming his numbers hold, he'll join Karl-Anthony Towns as the second player to clear 20 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and one made three per 36 minutes before his age-22 season.

View this in tandem with Trae Young's recent uptick, and the Hawks get real scary, real fast. The undersized point guard is a defensive pushover, but his finishing around the rim is better than advertised, he's a high-IQ table-setter, and the space he creates with his perimeter dribbles offsets his early shooting wrinkles.

Besides which, Young is averaging 18.2 points and 8.1 assists while splashing in 38.2 percent of his triples over the past 30 games. Combined with the sweet-shooting Kevin Huerter, Atlanta is laying a gnarly offensive foundation that already needs to be reckoned with.
Bleacher Report
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#100 » by Spud2nique » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:43 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Which NBA Teams Have the Best Young Cores?

Tier 3: Atlanta

Star Prospects: John Collins; Trae Young

Other Notable Players:
Kevin Huerter; Omari Spellman

Schedule the Hawks for entry into the next tier in T-minus, oh, by-the-start-of-next-season. John Collins is coming for stardom in an Eastern Conference begging for new members, pre-Kevin Durant and Anthony Davis joining the Knicks, of course.

Defense remains a struggle when Collins is on the floor, which for now, drags down his would-be peak. As Jeff Siegel wrote for Peachtree Hoops:
"For the moment, Collins plays power forward in part because he's not good enough defensively to play the most important defensive position on the floor, which puts some limits on what the Hawks can do from a team-building and lineup construction perspective. The Hawks do have two rotation-quality NBA centers in Dewayne Demon and Alex Len, which further explains why Collins operates at the power forward spot for the vast majority of his court time. With that said, Collins currently has to be paired with a defensive center who is capable of spacing the floor offensively and, in turn, that allows the second-year big man to be the main dive threat in pick-and-roll."

Collins' holes present real problems for Atlanta's lineup structure. But they're not damning enough to harsh his offensive progress and activity on the glass. Assuming his numbers hold, he'll join Karl-Anthony Towns as the second player to clear 20 points, 10 rebounds, two assists and one made three per 36 minutes before his age-22 season.

View this in tandem with Trae Young's recent uptick, and the Hawks get real scary, real fast. The undersized point guard is a defensive pushover, but his finishing around the rim is better than advertised, he's a high-IQ table-setter, and the space he creates with his perimeter dribbles offsets his early shooting wrinkles.

Besides which, Young is averaging 18.2 points and 8.1 assists while splashing in 38.2 percent of his triples over the past 30 games. Combined with the sweet-shooting Kevin Huerter, Atlanta is laying a gnarly offensive foundation that already needs to be reckoned with.
Bleacher Report

So Trae is a “star prospect”but Luka is a “current star”? Hmm.

Return to Atlanta Hawks