Spellman brutally honest about lack of play

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Spellman brutally honest about lack of play 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm

‘Pretty much, I was fat,’ the rookie forward said.

Omari Spellman was brutally honest.

There is a reason the Hawks rookie hasn’t been a regular part of the rotation. There is a reason he was sent to the NBA G League recently.

Now, there is a reason he is getting back on the court.

“Pretty much, I was fat,” Spellman told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution as the reason for his sporadic play. “I had to lose weight. That’s what allowed me to get back. That’s why I have been working as hard as I have and that’s why I haven’t been playing. Just to get me back right. Coming down and losing the weight that I have lost and being able to compete at the level I have been able off the court, helped me go out and compete tonight.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-spellman-brutally-honest-about-lack-play/NY5GKinvN1xofXaHNR9aeK/

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Re: Spellman brutally honest about lack of play 

Post#2 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:11 pm

Spellman said his weight got to as much as 293 pounds on his 6-foot-9 frame. He is down to 271 pounds now, a drop of 22 pounds. The Hawks officially list Spellman at 245 pounds.

:o :o
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#3 » by CP War Hawks » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:33 pm

He's looked very quick and athletic for a guy that's what 6-9, 270-280. Curious to see how he plays once he gets into optimal shape. He has to watch the trash talking, though he's capable of backing it up.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#4 » by EvanZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Fat upside.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
personanongrata
Junior
And1: 261

Post#5 » by personanongrata » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 am

He is going to be battling weight his whole career.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#6 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 am

They should give him a full time chef/nutritionist. He can play both backup 4 and 5 spots. Perhaps lipo surgery is an option if this is an Oliver Miller case.

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#7 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am

I thought he looked slim(er) during the Sixers game but I didn’t say anything... I didn’t know if he was gonna eat later that night and jinx it.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I thought he looked slim(er) during the Sixers game but I didn’t say anything... I didn’t know if he was gonna eat later that night and jinx it.

I think it's fair to assume that he celebrated a career game...with a couple dozen Krispy Kremes later that night.

Spoiler:
Maybe you can lend him your cape...for motivation.

dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,495

Post#9 » by dms269 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Me too Omari, me too.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
lethalweapon3
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,181
Location: State Farm Arena, Moving The Ball From Side To Side

Post#10 » by lethalweapon3 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm

PLOT TWIST: Turns out, we got Zion already... with Pick #30! ;-)

No winning any NBA championships for us, Omari. Not until we at least get the gummint back up and running!

~lw3
"Dunking is better than sex." - Shawn Kemp, 1996
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#11 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I thought he looked slim(er) during the Sixers game but I didn’t say anything... I didn’t know if he was gonna eat later that night and jinx it.

Haha, some would say you're our Omari. :)
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#12 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:57 pm

kg01 wrote:

:lol: ya...it’s still funny...hahahahaha ...ahhhhhhhhhhh... some guys gotta love the Internet. Hey, I offered to meet up and shut people down but macdaddy (the real fat guy)was the first to be scared. If ur gonna talk it, walk it...

Let’s face it everyone saw the muscle pics that AHF tried to get off squawk. It took his skinny a$$ a day to do it so my beautiful body was revealed to all.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#13 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:58 pm

And ever since then we got people coming out every now and then trying to step up... smh...it never ends kg it never ends.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#14 » by Spud2nique » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:59 pm

kg01 wrote:

I’m our Kawhi (closest example I could find). On our roster I’m our Justin Anderson with talent..

:wink:
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#15 » by kg01 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

:lol: ya...it’s still funny...hahahahaha ...ahhhhhhhhhhh... some guys gotta love the Internet. Hey, I offered to meet up and shut people down but macdaddy (the real fat guy)was the first to be scared. If ur gonna talk it, walk it...

Let’s face it everyone saw the muscle pics that AHF tried to get off squawk. It took his skinny a$$ a day to do it so my beautiful body was revealed to all.

Haha, AHf was clearly jealous. It's ok. We still love you, AHf. :wink:
king01 :king:
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:09 am

How Spellman lost control of his weight and realized he needed a change

Omari​ Spellman stepped​ on​ the​ scale and​ only one​ word could​ come out​ of​ his​ mouth.

“S**t.”

“To have fallen so​ far​ from​​ where I was, it was hard to see,” he said. “It was a wake-up call, and I realized that I needed to get myself together."

But before we get to where Spellman needs to be, you have to understand how a professional athlete can go from weighing 254 pounds at the draft combine in the summer to 293 pounds in a matter of six months and in the middle of an NBA season.

Spellman has admitted to The Athletic on multiple occasions that he was struggling with what it takes to be a professional and an adult. This wasn’t Villanova anymore where his schedule was plainly written out for him from the time he woke up to the time he went to the bed. Spellman arrived at Villanova weighing 290 pounds with more than 20 percent body fat

When Spellman arrived in Atlanta, he realized that, for the most part, he was on his own when it came to taking care of his well-being. It was a challenging adjustment. When he saw 293 on the scale (the heaviest he has been since high school), he felt horrible.

The Hawks knew Spellman was struggling, but they wanted him to admit he needed help because they felt like it was an important step in his growth and development.

In the position Spellman was in, it was easy to gain weight, especially when his life wasn’t structured.

“You go from being flat broke to having five-digit paychecks every week,” Spellman said. “Nothing can prepare you for that other than getting hit in the face when it comes.”

Spellman’s body has been a recent topic of conversation at Villanova. It was clear to those around the program that he had put on the weight that he had lost in college. Spellman called himself “fat.” He looked in the mirror one day and said, “Bro, you’re heavy as hell.” He was aware there were people around the league and fans who looked at him as overweight. Once he was able to admit it himself, he finally could make the necessary changes.
The Athletic
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,654

Post#17 » by benhillboy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:53 pm

I don’t think I’d call going from broke to a millionaire a “hit in the face.” More like a passionate kiss from Lisa Raye staring into your eyes.

I remember Bud tried to keep the players on a more regimental eating and conditioning program. I don’t know how well that goes over with all the players (Sweet Lou didn’t care for it) but it certainly would help Omari. I still think he has decent musculature and can move about the perimeter like a smaller guy. I’d rather have his frame than that boy Jabari Parker. Body so bad look like he got a keystone account with a Mom and Pop gourmet honey bun spot in the Carolinas. Amazon drop him off a 50 count box every week.
benhillboy
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by benhillboy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:01 pm

If Taurean ain’t gonna hit open rhythm threes he need to turn his ankle again. Hamilton’s game is just better for the team.
benhillboy
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by benhillboy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Interesting to see what CLP does about PG play, Trae piling turnovers again. Lin like “let me get them minutes coach.” Could the Lakers be looking to sign the hometown kid again with Ball going down?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#20 » by jayu70 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:24 pm

benhillboy wrote:Interesting to see what CLP does about PG play, Trae piling turnovers again. Lin like “let me get them minutes coach.” Could the Lakers be looking to sign the hometown kid again with Ball going down?

Wrong thread Benni :lol:

Return to Atlanta Hawks