ImageImage

Spellman brutally honest about lack of play

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Re: Spellman brutally honest about lack of play 

Post#41 » by kg01 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:04 pm

shakes0 wrote:we should start a pool and try and guess just how fat he gets while he's out. Or just do an over/under and set the bar at Oliver Miller.

Oh man, truth hurts. Hawks trainers need to be his roommate 'til the start of next season.

Also, how was the game ... well, how was it until the ejection?
king01 :king:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#42 » by shakes0 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:20 pm

kg01 wrote:
shakes0 wrote:we should start a pool and try and guess just how fat he gets while he's out. Or just do an over/under and set the bar at Oliver Miller.

Oh man, truth hurts. Hawks trainers need to be his roommate 'til the start of next season.

it was great till the ejection. Had great seats 10 rows up directly across from Hawks bench. Whole place was focused on Trae, it was obvious he was the attraction out there. Was ecstatic to see him play well, was pretty much convinced he would either play terrible or get limited minutes or get injured since I bought tickets. Didn't anticipate an ejection in all my worst case scenarios.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:24 pm

shakes0 wrote:it was great till the ejection. Had great seats 10 rows up directly across from Hawks bench. Whole place was focused on Trae, it was obvious he was the attraction out there. Was ecstatic to see him play well, was pretty much convinced he would either play terrible or get limited minutes or get injured since I bought tickets. Didn't anticipate an ejection in all my worst case scenarios.

Still can't believe Hawks finally have a box office player, ahead of his prime that wants to be here.

:love:
kg01
General Manager

Post#44 » by kg01 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:29 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
shakes0 wrote:it was great till the ejection. Had great seats 10 rows up directly across from Hawks bench. Whole place was focused on Trae, it was obvious he was the attraction out there. Was ecstatic to see him play well, was pretty much convinced he would either play terrible or get limited minutes or get injured since I bought tickets. Didn't anticipate an ejection in all my worst case scenarios.

Still can't believe Hawks finally have a box office player, ahead of his prime that wants to be here.

Let's just hope he never signs with Klutch Sports. :o

Anybody witness the brainwashing that's happened to Ant. Davis. Yikes.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#45 » by Spud2nique » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:29 pm

kg01 wrote:

He can’t shake that a$$/hip/man handles.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:38 pm

kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Still can't believe Hawks finally have a box office player, ahead of his prime that wants to be here.

True.

I do think he's looking at LAL like, "do I really want to walk into that mess?" LeBron leaves every franchise in chaos. Who wants to play in his shadow and then get stuck in the aftermath?
kg01
General Manager

Post#47 » by kg01 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Still can't believe Hawks finally have a box office player, ahead of his prime that wants to be here.

True.

I do think he's looking at LAL like, "do I really want to walk into that mess?" LeBron leaves every franchise in chaos. Who wants to play in his shadow and then get stuck in the aftermath?

Nah, after his appearance on the Shop, he's all-in on drinking that kool-aid. Karma's gonna catch up to him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:45 pm

I can't lie...I had to look up what "The Shop" was.
Spoiler:
Is that a dead animal on Antonio Brown's upper lip?

:oops:
kg01
General Manager

Post#49 » by kg01 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 7:49 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I can't lie...I had to look up what the Shop was.

I bet when you googled it, the description was ... 'a bunch-a dudes gathered 'round to laugh at Maverick Carter's jokes ... but only if Lebron laughs too ...'

Once I saw that Draymond was involved, that let me know he was soon to be a Klutch guy. This was last year some time.

Take a look at some of Davis' comments from this past episode. Dude is mentally gone (i.e. bought-in to James' narrative).
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#50 » by Spud2nique » Mon Mar 4, 2019 11:18 pm

kg01 wrote:

I bet when you googled it, the description was ... 'a bunch-a dudes gathered 'round to laugh at Maverick Carter's jokes ... but only if Lebron laughs too ...'

Once I saw that Draymond was involved, that let me know he was soon to be a Klutch guy. This was last year some time.

Take a look at some of Davis' comments from this past episode. Dude is mentally gone (i.e. bought-in to James' narrative).

How am I supposed to believe Stuart is a black dude after this debacle. This is too funny. I thought shop was workshopping the latest nerdery device I have here for you fine people..

:lol:
kg01
General Manager

Post#51 » by kg01 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 1:05 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

How am I supposed to believe Stuart is a black dude after this debacle. This is too funny. I thought shop was workshopping the latest nerdery device I have here for you fine people..

I'm a brutha and I don't watch the Shop either. He probably doesn't do HBO. And you thinking he has to watch the Shop is the same as us assuming you're a Jeremy Lin or Golden St fan, btw. :) Haha, hit 'em where it hurts. :wink:

I patiently await your counterpunch
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#52 » by Spud2nique » Tue Mar 5, 2019 3:23 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I'm a brutha and I don't watch the Shop either. He probably doesn't do HBO. And you thinking he has to watch the Shop is the same as us assuming you're a Jeremy Lin or Golden St fan, btw. :) Haha, hit 'em where it hurts. :wink:

Whoa whoa whoa... us? Did you change alliances? Are you a Rowland lovin son of a gun fanboy now?

:evil: Lin held Trae back! Ya I said it I meant it.
kg01
General Manager

Post#53 » by kg01 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 3:35 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa... us? Did you change alliances? Are you a Rowland lovin son of a gun fanboy now?

I get it, spud2. You're reacting to being called a Lin/Warrior fanboy. Haha
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#54 » by Spud2nique » Tue Mar 5, 2019 3:37 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

I get it, spud2. You're reacting to being called a Lin/Warrior fanboy. Haha

Where’s Stuart! That home wrecker!!! Has he gotten up and put on those Celtic slippers yet?

:lol: Oh don’t even joke around about Lin fans. I want somebody to smackem all.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 pm

The realization Omari Spellman has had during rookie season: ‘I feel like I underachieved’

Spellman’s rookie season with the Hawks is likely over after spraining his ankle in the wild four-overtime game against the Chicago Bulls last week. Spellman is expected to be re-evaluated at the end of the month, but there only will be a few more games left of the season if he’s cleared. And even then, he would have to work his way back and hope there are zero setbacks with his rehab process in order to play by April 10 against the Indiana Pacers, the final game of the season.

He likely will finish his rookie season averaging fewer than six points per game in 17.5 minutes per game in the 46 contests he played in. Spellman feels like he didn’t put himself in the best position to succeed this year, and that has resulted in a lot of self-reflection.

“It took me too long to adjust,” Spellman said. “I could have done a lot of things better. I could have taken better care of my body. There’s just too many things to list that could have led to me having a better season.

“Honestly, I feel like I underachieved. That’s how I feel.”

While it hasn’t been the rookie season he was hoping it was going to be, Spellman doesn’t regret leaving Villanova early. He felt like he was ready to be an NBA player.

How to handle everything that comes with being an NBA player is a different story for Spellman.
The Athletic
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#56 » by jayu70 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

I want to see a transformed body in Summer League.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:56 pm

jayu70 wrote:I want to see a transformed body in Summer League.

Reading the entire article, the feeling I walked away with regarding Omari was loneliness, isolation, lack of structure.

I'm sure it's tough going from living in the dorms and constantly surrounded by other college aged kids, to living alone in a new city -- coming home to an empty house everyday.

Spoiler:
“She’s definitely been big for me,” Spellman said of his dog. “I live alone. Coming back to a home with her in it makes all of this not as bad because you’re not completely by yourself. If you have a bad game or if you had a rough day at work and you come home, it’s not all quiet.

“Milly gives me a sense of responsibility because I have to make sure she’s fed, she’s walked and all of these things that come with having a dog. It makes me be beside myself in a way because I have to think of something other than whatever it is that’s bothering me at the time.

I left college at the same age and joined the military. I was fortunate to be surrounded by dozens of people the same age at the same point in life to help with that transition. I hope OS gets better acclimated next season. I do think our G-League team being in the same vicinity will help there. That's another dozen guys age 20-26 to befriend and hang with.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#58 » by shakes0 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:45 pm

He's had his wake up call, now he needs to prove it sunk in over the summer. We'll know for sure by how his body looks when he shows up to training camp.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Thu May 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Omari Spellman and his pursuit of happiness

The big man’s rookie season brought upon much self-reflection about his priorities in life

During his first couple of months as a professional, it was rare to catch Omari Spellman without a smile on his face, and it was difficult not to view the 6-foot-9 Ohio native as a big kid who was enjoying every moment of being an NBA player. Unfortunately for Spellman, the [lows outnumbered the highs in his rookie] season.

“Roller coaster,” he said of his first year in the league. “I had a lot of ups and downs, a lot of learning experiences and growing pains that I’ll definitely take into my sophomore campaign, and try to make it the best I can.”

The 21-year-old who signed a 2-year, $3.5 million contract, fresh off of winning a national championship admitted that none of his riches or accomplishments were the sole keys to his “state of well-being and contentment.” Spellman said that Dewayne Dedmon, Vince Carter and his family helped him get through some of the hardships that he faced during his rookie season. Poetry is also an outlet that Spellman has used to express his most inner thoughts.

Out of all three of the Hawks’ draft picks last summer, Spellman is the only one who will play in this year’s Las Vegas Summer League. He was also back at the Emory Sports Medicine Complex before the end of April.

“Omari was the one who dealt with the injuries and adversity the most,” Atlanta Hawks head coach Lloyd Pierce said, “but when he was out there, he’s got NBA skill and we know that it’s real. We knew he could help us. He’s dealt with the most adversity of the three guys. The evaluation is that we were able to see, especially with Trae and Kevin because they played the most, we’re able to see them grow and really grow up because of the experience this year.”

Spellman’s rookie season in the NBA wasn’t exactly the fairy-tale, roses-smelling realized-dream that is often sold to the public eye. It was a raw, cold and harsh realistic representation of life on and off of the court.
Peachtree Hoops
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#60 » by Spud2nique » Thu May 23, 2019 7:52 pm

He can only go up from here....not in weight but production.

Return to Atlanta Hawks