ImageImage

Taking the 5th (Pick)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Re: Taking the 5th (Pick) 

Post#201 » by High 5 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:53 pm

It's a flawed premise even with everyone at 0-0, but that's not important now. :lol: We can just celebrate the fact that it's over.
Hazer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,127

Post#202 » by Hazer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:50 pm

Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
Hazer wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Just took me 10 pages. 8-)

Hahaaaaa! I actually just realized it’s all a moot point really, since NY/PHO/CLE/CHI aren’t winning 26 games and DAL has already won 26 games, AHF is correct in that all Hawks have to do is win fewer than Mavs period. So yeah, 10 pages later the 5th really don’t matter even though that’s where we’ll most likely end up anyway. Took me 10 pages to figure it out, you’d never know I took calculus in 12th grade :lol:

You've seen the light!

Best cover of that song, IMO. Introduced my 14yo daughter to Buckley last year. Have a friend who named their dog Buckley, obviously a big fan.
Hazerbeamidge :guitar:
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#203 » by Hazer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:58 pm

jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Hazer wrote:Fortunately I’m not one of those who say “I’m never wrong”, then disappear for weeks only to resurface, move the goalpost, and claim to have never said it or know what you’re talking about :wink:

Ohhh ...

www._Como_se_dice....#ShotsFired.biz

This thread was fun watching Haze go down the rabbit hole chasing his tail. :lol:
Glad you came out the otherside no worse for wear Haze!

Wise man, admit point, many moon. Small man, never wrong, witch doctor :wizard:
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#204 » by Hazer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Spud2nique wrote:When you want the woman (the 5th) you taaaaake the woman (5th)

Oh yes, you have a plethora :nod:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#205 » by Spud2nique » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Hazer wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Ohhh ...

www._Como_se_dice....#ShotsFired.biz

This thread was fun watching Haze go down the rabbit hole chasing his tail. :lol:
Glad you came out the otherside no worse for wear Haze!

Wise man, admit point, many moon. Small man, never wrong, witch doctor :wizard:

:rofl: :clap:
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#206 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Hazer wrote:
Atlanta Hawk Fan wrote:
Hazer wrote:Hahaaaaa! I actually just realized it’s all a moot point really, since NY/PHO/CLE/CHI aren’t winning 26 games and DAL has already won 26 games, AHF is correct in that all Hawks have to do is win fewer than Mavs period. So yeah, 10 pages later the 5th really don’t matter even though that’s where we’ll most likely end up anyway. Took me 10 pages to figure it out, you’d never know I took calculus in 12th grade :lol:

You've seen the light!

Best cover of that song, IMO. Introduced my 14yo daughter to Buckley last year. Have a friend who named their dog Buckley, obviously a big fan.

Sadly taken from us waaay too early.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,917

Post#207 » by jayu70 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 3:24 am

Hazer wrote:It's still early, but now we're past the halfway mark I've been thinking about the 5th place thing and something dawned on me: fairly comfortable cushion over/under where Hawks currently sit at 5. That position being unique in that the Mavs' pick is top 5 protected. If their season turns south and Cuban decides to pull the plug and head for bottom 5 to keep the pick, Hawks are sitting right there at 5th as gatekeepers of that draft pick. Setting a hard screen. At 3rd they can't keep the Mav's out of top 5, at 5th they essentially can. Unless Cleveland, Phoenix, Chicago, and NY get stupid. I can't be the only one contemplating this. Don't think it happens? See Ressler cussing out Bud last year. Odds of getting the top pick (and top 3) at 5th have increased, odds of getting the Mavs' pick is 100% staying put at 5th and blocking them from it (Cavs, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, I'm watching you, DON'T do it). Very interesting angle, anybody else buying it?

Uuummmmm....Haze...you might have been unto something.
Hawks are the gatekeeper of that #5 spot. :D
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#208 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Thrilled to see us winning these games by a point or two... yeah, I know they count them in the standings as losses, but there is no sweeter win than seeing us protect draft slot, yet be so close to winning that it bodes well for our future.

When's the lottery?
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#209 » by graymule » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:01 pm

8-)

Still solid in 5th place with 5 more games lost than any team above us and 3 less than any below us.

Seems that the Hawks get two first round picks (if we don't swap them and some of our second round picks
to move up) and whatever we get, they will be a big + to Atlanta!

GO ATL HAWKS !!

:D
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#210 » by Hazer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Hazer wrote:It's still early, but now we're past the halfway mark I've been thinking about the 5th place thing and something dawned on me: fairly comfortable cushion over/under where Hawks currently sit at 5. That position being unique in that the Mavs' pick is top 5 protected. If their season turns south and Cuban decides to pull the plug and head for bottom 5 to keep the pick, Hawks are sitting right there at 5th as gatekeepers of that draft pick. Setting a hard screen. At 3rd they can't keep the Mav's out of top 5, at 5th they essentially can. Unless Cleveland, Phoenix, Chicago, and NY get stupid. I can't be the only one contemplating this. Don't think it happens? See Ressler cussing out Bud last year. Odds of getting the top pick (and top 3) at 5th have increased, odds of getting the Mavs' pick is 100% staying put at 5th and blocking them from it (Cavs, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, I'm watching you, DON'T do it). Very interesting angle, anybody else buying it?

Uuummmmm....Haze...you might have been unto something.
Hawks are the gatekeeper of that #5 spot. :D

Even though there was a mathematical fallacy in my original argument, it damn sure panned out EXACTLY as I said (yes, and many thought) it would 2 months ago. Hawks in 5th, Mavs in 6th, guarantee you if it was the last game of the season Hawks would lose it if winning meant tying the Mavs for 5th.

From my original post: “If their season turns south and Cuban decides to pull the plug and head for bottom 5 to keep the pick...”

Yup :nod:
Hazer
Pro Prospect

Post#211 » by Hazer » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:58 pm

“Coaches don’t tank.” I guess Ressler and Schlenk set tonight’s lineup. Mmmmm hmmmm :wink:
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#212 » by High 5 » Sun Apr 7, 2019 10:26 pm

To be fair, I think peoriabird is the only person who didn't think Schlenk/Ressler would tank if the Mavs got close. It was everything else people were arguing with you about. :lol:
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#213 » by MaceCase » Sun Apr 7, 2019 11:11 pm

This stretch of the season is chuck full of drama and comedy. I always enjoy the stops that teams pull out, be they playoff or lottery, to insure their desired seeding.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#214 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Apr 8, 2019 3:41 am

Drama indeed.

3 teams (WAS, MEM, and DAL) with 32 wins, 1 with 33 (NOP).

Washington almost certainly will finish at 32, because their only game is against BOS, who is trying to stay ahead of IND.

Memphis will be particularly desperate not to win, in order to give themselves a shot at 1-8, lest they have to convey the pick to BOS. They play at Detroit, who needs to win to beat out CHA for a playoff berth. The more complicated ordeal will be playing Golden State's mainly 2nd string, given they have nothing left to play for. But you have to think they'll find a way to lose both given the consequences.

Dallas has PHX at home and visits SAS. Have to figure they'll be favored vs PHX. SAS will be playing for the opportunity to avoid playing GSW in the first round, so that should be enough to ensure a DAL loss there.

New Orleans has GSW for their final game.

So, best guess is that WAS and MEM finish with 32 wins, and if so they'll flip a coin for #6.

DAL and NOP finish with 33, and they'll flip a coin for #8.

Return to Atlanta Hawks