ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#21 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:38 pm

ATL Boy wrote:I want to see us compete next season. John Collins, Kevin Huerter and Trae Young playing together have garnered a positive net efficiency rating, and they should all be better next season. Two lottery picks (hopefully both in the top 10) should be able to contribute immediately. We have an incredible amount of cap to sign another contributor at the very least.

I'm so sick of the tank. Even if we don't get a playoff spot next year I at least want to be at a point where I'm rooting for actual wins without being conflicted every game. At least compete for a playoff spot, and if you get in let that be gravy.

I'm no tank fan, but what will be even worse is if we went through it all and get back on a treadmill real fast because we rushed the rebuild.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#22 » by jayu70 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:41 pm

King Ken wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I didn'nt realize we still projected to have that much cap space this summer.

With $43 million open, we seem likely to still utilize it as a way to absorb bad contracts for future assets and then sign veteran role players out of the bargain bin.

But with the progress of Trae, Collins, Huerter (and Taurean) plus the addition of two likely lottery selections, we still seem likely to make a playoff push next season.

This is a terrific spot to be in.

Yep, we're loaded with capspace.
Like I said in the other thread, I do think we take on bad salary for a future pick again this offseason and sign value FAs.
Unless by some miracle a top FA gives us a look.
Look to a teams like Portland depending on their playoff performance - maybe we can grab Zach Collins and Turner's bad salary. Detroit etc.

I keep saying, this is a horrible idea and one I wish we would stop suggesting.
No one is trying to get bailed out of a contract that's willing to trade an major asset with 2020 clearing all books. A late first from a playoff team is ass and we have a core now. It would be stupid to not sign an elite level impact at the 5 and try to build these guys up to superstar status. Absolutely stupid.

We need to be a smart team. We have youngins who are ready to win big. We need to give them some damn help. Give them a Horford. Give them a Cousins. Give them a star. We need to be smart. That's what I love about Schlenk, he gets it. I been feeling like so many GMs we have had are dumb as bricks. This is the first one that's like, he can make better decisions than me and I feel confident about that in his full time job.

Travis is already the GM GOAT. But signing Cousins or Horford. That's big boy Masai, Morey, Ainge, and Presti status. That's what the elites do.

https://omny.fm/shows/92-9-the-game-morning-show-w-john-and-hugh/schlenk-on-trade-deadline-looking-at-options-to-cr

Being stupid is what we seen from BudCox, BK, Ferry, Babcock, and the rest of the clowns we had. We finally got a MVP level GM who knows what the hell he is doing. I am happy as hell about it. Listening to his pressers make me feel good. Same with his Assistant GM in Peterson.

The definition of stupid is offering big money to a declining C in Al.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#23 » by Spud2nique » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:47 pm

I voted fitting in holes but also going to the playoffs as a 6-8 seed in 2019-20. Filling the holes with our 2 first round picks (keep them both) and sell 2/3 second rounders for future assets.

Keep cap flexibility by adding exact pieces to our core with our core being Trae, Collins, Huerter and our 2 firsts.

I don’t have any players in mind but they won’t be Al Horford or Cousins, someone less expensive and younger.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#24 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 12:10 am

[list=][/list]
Spud2nique wrote:I voted fitting in holes but also going to the playoffs as a 6-8 seed in 2019-20. Filling the holes with our 2 first round picks (keep them both) and sell 2/3 second rounders for future assets.

Keep cap flexibility by adding exact pieces to our core with our core being Trae, Collins, Huerter and our 2 firsts.

I don’t have any players in mind but they won’t be Al Horford or Cousins, someone less expensive and younger.

Like which centers who are actually attainable?
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,932

Post#25 » by Ice Trae » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:00 am

Yeah I'd love to see the young fellas start getting ready to compete already. Sign quality FA's and look to compete for the 8th seed next season. It's time to build a winning culture so that they don't develop bad habits and end up lookin like another Phoenix.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#26 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:03 am

There is very little reason to accept bad contracts for 1st round picks in the twenties. Especially 3-4 years after you have your core guys. Time to make the playoffs. No one is giving a lottery pick for a bad contract. Y'all are just abscessed still!
King Ken
General Manager

Post#27 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:03 am

Early off-season wants:

1. It's way too early but C. Reddish and D. Hunter in the draft. Okay with Little and Sekou Doumbouya. In the 2nd round, I would like Q. Grimes or Goga Bitadze.

2. AL HORFORD in FA. This is my biggest want. 2nd is Boogie.

3. Resigning Jeremy Lin for 3/16 is my goal. I want him by for half the price.

4. Just great drafting. Free Agency is much more simple.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#28 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:06 am

peoriabird wrote:There is very little reason to accept bad contracts for 1st round picks in the twenties. Especially 3-4 years after you have your core guys. Time to make the playoffs. No one is giving a lottery pick for a bad contract. Y'all are just abscessed still!

It's foolish. We actually tried but no one wants to give one up and NO ONE will in 2019. Too close to clearing in 2020 and the only ones who will, will give you a late 1st. That's not even close to worth it.

We aren't in contending mode but we are in asset driven but buyers for the right players. We need to be in the same mode as Boston was the year they signed Al. They didn't offer just anybody. Only the top guys who can make them much better. We don't need no J.J. Redick or Trey Lyles. We need impact players.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#29 » by kg01 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:07 am

Get over Alice.
king01 :king:
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:34 am

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:There is very little reason to accept bad contracts for 1st round picks in the twenties. Especially 3-4 years after you have your core guys. Time to make the playoffs. No one is giving a lottery pick for a bad contract. Y'all are just abscessed still!

It's foolish. We actually tried but no one wants to give one up and NO ONE will in 2019. Too close to clearing in 2020 and the only ones who will, will give you a late 1st. That's not even close to worth it.

We aren't in contending mode but we are in asset driven but buyers for the right players. We need to be in the same mode as Boston was the year they signed Al. They didn't offer just anybody. Only the top guys who can make them much better. We don't need no J.J. Redick or Trey Lyles. We need impact players.

Posters just get obsessed once in a certain mode. They think acquiring any asset even a 2nd round pick will somehow help your team become a championship contender. They continue to devalue veteran players and establishing a winning mentality or just winning in general, They think that players will come here if there has not been a commitment to winning or commitment to players already on the team. We have to start winning before anyone of note will consider being here. Right now, Pierce is creating a very good cohesive culture where the players want to be here despite our record. 2-3 year of this will bode well toward our championship aspirations.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#31 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:53 am

peoriabird wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Poster just get obsessed once in a certain mode. They think acquiring any asset even a 2nd round pick will somehow help your team become a championship contender. They continue to devalue veteran players and establishing a winning mentality or just winning in general, They think that players will come her if there has not been a commitment to winning or commitment to players already on the team. We have to start winning before anyone of note will consider being here. Right not, Pierce is creating a very good cohesive culture where the players want to be here despite our record. 2-3 year of this will bode well toward our championship aspirations.

Exactly, look at was the capo of team tank last year and would get mad at a lost. But honestly, I don't give a damn where we finish this year. I want to win every damn game. We aren't making the playoffs this year.

1. Too turnover prone.
2. Trae still a rookie PG, it's an extremely tough transition.
3. We lack at the starting 5 and we don't have that Millsap/Horford vet type that would help us win games. Our vets are all backups and Bazemore is a lower end starting vet on the wing.
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 507

Post#32 » by raleigh » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:40 pm

Since he wants to be in Atlanta long-term, I wonder if Baze would consider a contract restructuring next year. Since the Hawks will be under the cap, I believe they reduce his 2019-20 salary as long as the overall compensation increases.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#33 » by kg01 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:13 pm

raleigh wrote:Since he wants to be in Atlanta long-term, I wonder if Baze would consider a contract restructuring next year. Since the Hawks will be under the cap, I believe they reduce his 2019-20 salary as long as the overall compensation increases.

Folks think m gasol could opt out in exchange for a longer, lower-dollar deal with his next stop. Maybe Baze could do the same?

How old is he? It's more a strategy for an older player. If Baze thinks he's not getting another payday, it could actually be a wise strategy for him.
king01 :king:
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,422

Post#34 » by graymule » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:20 pm

:D

Here's another, different thought, just to stir up your thinking:

Whoever wins the lottery will really be in need of talent. We all know this. Suppose that the Hawks, who have two
first round picks and three second round picks, offered to trade some of their picks to the winner for that #1 pick?

What are we going to do with 5 draft picks? Have five rookies on next year's roster? If we do that, several of our
current players must leave. I can't believe we do this, do you?

Everyone wanted a PG and we have 2. Everyone wants a great center. Please, don't bring back a former Hawk who
wanted out. He wouldn't be happy coming back and neither would we. Boston needs him more than we do.

Our one - two punch right now at center is working out. Don't rock the boat. Not yet. Other needs are more.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#35 » by Spud2nique » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:30 pm

graymule wrote::D

Whoever wins the lottery will really be in need of talent. We all know this. Suppose that the Hawks, who have two
first round picks and three second round picks, offered to trade some of their picks to the winner for that #1 pick?

What are we going to do with 5 draft picks? Have five rookies on next year's roster? If we do that, several of our

Everyone wanted a PG and we have 2. Everyone wants a great center. Please, don't bring back a former Hawk who
wanted out. He wouldn't be happy coming back and neither would we. Boston needs him more than we do.

Our one - two punch right now at center is working out. Don't rock the boat. Not yet. Other needs are more.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

Agreed Gramps on not rocking the boat but rather working the middle...Aaliyah knew he stuff, no doubt.

We are doing juuuuuust fine. No panic moves needed.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#36 » by High 5 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:32 pm

raleigh wrote:Since he wants to be in Atlanta long-term, I wonder if Baze would consider a contract restructuring next year. Since the Hawks will be under the cap, I believe they reduce his 2019-20 salary as long as the overall compensation increases.

Unless we're trying to make big moves next season I don't see why we would. We can afford to eat the $19m next season and then offer him a reasonable deal. See how much he really wants to stay here. Assuming Schlenk even wants to re-sign him.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#37 » by jayu70 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:33 pm

graymule wrote::D

GO ATL HAWKS !!

Well stated Granpa Gray.
I don't think we'll use all 3 2nd round picks.
One maybe on the roster next year. One a draft and stash and one we'll sell for cash.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:11 pm

We have to reestablish the winning process as soon as next year. No one says it has to start with some over priced Vet like Horford. He won't come back to a losing situation anyway let alone back to Atlanta. It will probably take 2-3 years of winning and possible accomplishing something in the playoffs to turn some head on the free agent market. To delay this process for another 2-3 years is just suicide. I strongly believe that this current group of players can easily make the playoffs without any veteran additions next year. Let this group play and grow together another couple of years and see what happens. If the Hawk's significantly improve over this 2 year period and we find something in the draft during that time frame, free agent will start to take notice. And this is how you build a contender.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#39 » by King Ken » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:45 pm

peoriabird wrote:We have to reestablish the winning process as soon as next year. No one says it has to start with some over priced Vet like Horford. He won't come back to a losing situation anyway let alone back to Atlanta. It will probably take 2-3 years of winning and possible accomplishing something in the playoffs to turn some head on the free agent market. To delay this process for another 2-3 years is just suicide. I strongly believe that this current group of players can easily make the playoffs without any veteran additions next year. Let this group play and grow together another couple of years and see what happens. If the Hawk's significantly improve over this 2 year period and we find something in the draft during that time frame, free agent will start to take notice. And this is how you build a contender.

I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by peoriabird » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:55 pm

King Ken wrote:
peoriabird wrote:We have to reestablish the winning process as soon as next year. No one says it has to start with some over priced Vet like Horford. He won't come back to a losing situation anyway let alone back to Atlanta. It will probably take 2-3 years of winning and possible accomplishing something in the playoffs to turn some head on the free agent market. To delay this process for another 2-3 years is just suicide. I strongly believe that this current group of players can easily make the playoffs without any veteran additions next year. Let this group play and grow together another couple of years and see what happens. If the Hawk's significantly improve over this 2 year period and we find something in the draft during that time frame, free agent will start to take notice. And this is how you build a contender.

I say it starts with Al Horford. Then Boogie Cousins if available.

Why would either choose the Hawks over a contender?

Return to Atlanta Hawks