ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#241 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:Side note: Butler seemed to be giving the young Hawks (especially Trae) some mad props the other night. What do we think about talking to him some. I know he's had his issues in the past, but this might present a pretty fun team for him to play on that fits his style pretty well.

I want to reiterate, I'd gladly welcome Jimmy Butler onto this team and into this locker room.

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#242 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:42 pm

Travis Schlenk cites flexibility, chance to ‘package picks and move up’ in recent interview

Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk joined 92.9 The Game in Atlanta on Tuesday morning and the full interview is certainly worth a listen. However, one portion of the discussion was particularly noteworthy, and Kevin Chouinard of Hawks.com and ATL and 29 passes it along.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

“There is a 75 or 76 percent chance that we’re going to have that pick at the ninth spot,” Schlenk said. “If we get lucky and jump up into the lottery, and hopefully Dallas does not, then we would be looking at two picks in the top ten, which would give us a lot of flexibility to maybe package picks and move up. We also have three picks in the second round this year -- 35, 41 and 44 -- so potentially five picks in the top 45. That gives us a lot of flexibility to make moves, so we’re excited about it.”

The top of this draft, though, is not necessarily an ideal spot to attempt to move up. It should be noted that this is a free-flowing radio interview and, again, more than two months will pass between now and the draft itself. At the end of the day...this is a class that is very muddled beyond the top two and, when that is the case, trading up within the lottery probably isn’t the best idea, at least in a vacuum.
Peachtree Hoops
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#243 » by D21 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:44 pm

"If we get lucky and jump up into the lottery and hopefully Dallas does not, then we would be looking at two picks in the top ten"

I'm playing a bit with words, but Yes DAL has to not jump in lottery for ATL to get their pick, but No, ATL don't have to jump in the lottery to have two picks in the top10

ATL, jumping or not, keep his own pick and it will be between 1st and 9th, 9th would lead to have one pick because it would mean that DAL and the three other teams behind jump in the lottery, which will never happen.

So it's "If we get lucky that Dallas don't jump in the lottery, we have two picks in the top ten"
There would be more reason to package the picks if we aren't lucky and don't jump in the lottery ;-)
Atlanta Hawk Fan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 659

Post#244 » by Atlanta Hawk Fan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:52 pm

D21 wrote:"If we get lucky and jump up into the lottery and hopefully Dallas does not, then we would be looking at two picks in the top ten"

I'm playing a bit with words, but Yes DAL has to not jump in lottery for ATL to get their pick, but No, ATL don't have to jump in the lottery to have two picks in the top10

ATL, jumping or not, keep his own pick and it will be between 1st and 9th, 9th would lead to have one pick because it would mean that DAL and the three other teams behind jump in the lottery, which will never happen.

So it's "If we get lucky that Dallas don't jump in the lottery, we have two picks in the top ten"
There would be more reason to package the picks if we aren't lucky and don't jump in the lottery ;-)

You are correct but my read between the lines on that is that if we have someone we want to target he thinks we will need to get lucky to be able to make a play for them and that two picks in the 6-10 range won't be enough ammunition to power a trade given who is projected to be on the board in that range.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#245 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm

If we can't get Brogdon, would Satoransky be a good backup plan for a big guard to pair with/backup Trae?

Is his defense solid generally or was he just a bad matchup for Trae?
king01 :king:
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#246 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:51 pm

kg01 wrote:If we can't get Brogdon, would Satoransky be a good backup plan for a big guard to pair with/backup Trae?

I think he was a bad matchup but overall not the worst by any means to back up Trae. I’d like a shot at JJ Barea. I think he can teach Trae some of the little tricks he’s picked up the last decade or so. He’d almost be perfect at the right price for me.

Corey Joseph and Ian Clark are a couple others to keep an eye on!
kg01
General Manager

Post#247 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:56 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:If we can't get Brogdon, would Satoransky be a good backup plan for a big guard to pair with/backup Trae?

I think he was a bad matchup but overall not the worst by any means to back up Trae. I’d like a shot at JJ Barea. I think he can teach Trae some of the little tricks he’s picked up the last decade or so. He’d almost be perfect at the right price for me.

Nah, that's what Lin was s'posed to do last year. No way I'm signing Barea. He's old and injured now anyways. Just send Trae to work with Nash during the offseason.

I don't want any more lil' guys. Surround our lil' guy with big dudes to help facilitate what he does for us.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#248 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Read on Twitter

I'd rather sign Brook Lopez...and Mal Brogdon.
Let's decimate the Bucks depth and leave Budenholzer in dire straits.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#249 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

Nah, that's what Lin was s'posed to do last year. No way I'm signing Barea. He's old and injured now anyways. Just send Trae to work with Nash during the offseason.

I don't want any more lil' guys. Surround our lil' guy with big dudes to help facilitate what he does for us.

I dunno man Barea has got a ton of heart and has some tricks..how do you think he got by Andrew Bynum in 2011 in the lane, that wasn’t luck. :wink:

No small dudes..ok may I offer Elfrid Payton who is a different player from years past and would give our backup pg a diff look.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#250 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I’m a yes on Brogdon and a pass on Brook.
kg01
General Manager

Post#251 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:11 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

I dunno man Barea has got a ton of heart and has some tricks..how do you think he got by Andrew Bynum in 2011 in the lane, that wasn’t luck. :wink:

No small dudes..ok may I offer Elfrid Payton who is a different player from years past and would give our backup pg a diff look.

Ok, I tried to be nice about it but I can't stand Barea. Never liked him. Plus I'm pretty sure his career's over anyway so ...

On Payton, eh. Not good enough a shooter to me. Would probably command to high a salary commensurate with what role he should fill (Bembry's role).
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#252 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:32 pm

No to Barea and Lopez
Yes to Brogdon, Clark, Sato, even Elfrid Payton.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#253 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:47 pm

jayu70 wrote:No to Barea and Lopez

What about Corey Joseph? Yay or Nay?
kg01
General Manager

Post#254 » by kg01 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:49 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

I like Joseph but I'd imagine he'd probably glom onto a contender.

And who's Clark? Ian Clark? That dude stinks.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#255 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:52 pm

Spud2nique wrote:

I like Joseph too.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#256 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:56 pm

kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

Ok, I tried to be nice about it but I can't stand Barea. Never liked him. Plus I'm pretty sure his career's over anyway so ...

On Payton, eh. Not good enough a shooter to me. Would probably command to high a salary commensurate with what role he should fill (Bembry's role).

I have a question and I think there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do we want our backup pg to be..

1. The same style as Trae like a DJ Augustin type or a Tyus Jones type..as kg said no mo little’s (cap nods in agreement he hates those lil fckers..) :nod:

2. Go big point like a Elfrid or MCW (uuughhh sorry I just puked in my mouth a bit).
????

I can see Schlenk going baby Winston Garland cuz he held a bar mitzvah for Darius about 6 years ago. (Rumors are swirling don’t shoot the messenger).

Trae/Darius Garland (never have to worry about pg for a while again).

What do you folks like huh? What say you?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#257 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

I have a question and I think there are a couple of schools of thought here. Do we want our backup pg to be..

1. The same style as Trae like a DJ Augustin type or a Tyus Jones type..as kg said no mo little’s (cap nods in agreement he hates those lil fckers..) :nod:

2. Go big point like a Elfrid or MCW (uuughhh sorry I just puked in my mouth a bit).
????

I can see Schlenk going baby Winston Garland cuz he held a bar mitzvah for Darius about 6 years ago. (Rumors are swirling don’t shoot the messenger).

Ideally a guy that can back him up as well as play alongside him in certain situations.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#258 » by Spud2nique » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 pm

jayu70 wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:
kg01 wrote:

????

Ideally a guy that can back him up as well as play alongside him in certain situations.

A 1/2 2/1! Nice!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#259 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

The real Brad and I agree....I would not sign Vucevic for the price he'll command.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#260 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 pm

Postseason NBA Power Rankings

19. Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks closed the year with a 10-14 record and the No. 11 offense after the All-Star break. They're young, exciting and in possession of significant cap space. Time to splash the pot in free agency, maybe fast-track this little rebuild they've got going?

Not so fast.

"Skipping steps is a dangerous, dangerous thing," head coach Lloyd Pierce told Chris Kirschner of The Athletic. "Just because you're able to win a game doesn't mean you're able to win the next one. You take the win, you learn from the win, appreciate the win and get back in the lab and do what got you the win."
Bleacher Report

Return to Atlanta Hawks