ImageImage

Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What direction should the franchise be taking this summer?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Still in Phase 1: Asset Acquisition
37%
Phase 2: Filling in team needs around our cornerstones
40%
Compete for the playoffs -- it's time
19%
Ready to switch to win-now mode
5%

Total votes: 43

ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Re: Obnoxiously early 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#421 » by ATL Boy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:36 am

I get it's just a third PG role but I've seen about enough of Jaylen Adams at this point. Would much rather look into bringing an actual backup PG or even another third PG to replace him if we really want to give Turner the backup PG role.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,867

Post#422 » by jayu70 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 3:40 am

Adams will be going back to the GL at this rate.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#423 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:23 am

TS has clearly set the team up to continue the rebuild. He has brought in less vet help than last season. He might still add some more proven players to tighten things up, but the Hawks are a bunch of first and second year players, JC third. Making an extremely young team.

It's clearly another bottom ten roster and that fits right into TS's rebuild plan.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,351

Post#424 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:32 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#425 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:39 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:TS has clearly set the team up to continue the rebuild. He has brought in less vet help than last season.

And just like that, Trav has brought in a 5th year journeyman and 4th year vet at the C/PF spots.

Are we making a run at respectability this season?
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#426 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:TS has clearly set the team up to continue the rebuild. He has brought in less vet help than last season.

And just like that, Trav has brought in a 5th year journeyman and 4th year vet at the C/PF spots.

Yes, and that's ok. Might sneek into a seed with great play from the team. If they can do it, they earn it. Adding Jabari to that deal isn't a big deal. It's still about the development of the core
hawks_fan25
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#427 » by hawks_fan25 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:54 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Yes, and that's ok. Might sneek into a seed with great play from the team. If they can do it, they earn it. Adding Jabari to that deal isn't a big deal. It's still about the development of the core

Jabari is only 24. He could become part of the core if we thrives in the bench role with this group. He also needs to get in better shape, though. Maybe a team declining $20m and him having to accept below $7m will be a wake up call. I think he and Huerter could lead the bench group when Cam and Hunter take over the starting wing spots after this year. Assuming Parker exercises his option.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#428 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 7:56 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:
tbhawksfan1 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

Jabari is only 24. He could become part of the core if we thrives in the bench role with this group. He also needs to get in better shape, though. Maybe a team declining $20m and him having to accept below $7m will be a wake up call. I think he and Huerter could lead the bench group when Cam and Hunter take over the starting wing spots after this year. Assuming Parker exercises his option.

Yada.. eh yeah, but I'm not adding him to my core at the present time
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#429 » by hawks_fan25 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 8:07 pm

I'm calling this a successful day (although not over). We got better today.

In - Jabari Parker, Damian Jones, SRP
Out - Spellman

We got a proven bench scorer and an alley oop finisher / rim protector and trimmed some fat from the roster.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 968

Post#430 » by Geaux_Hawks » Mon Jul 8, 2019 11:05 pm

This off-season has been a pretty damn good one overall. Can't really see much, if anything to complain about. I mean Parker for 7 Mill is a really underrated move. Similar to the one GS made with Iggy when they turned the corner.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#431 » by D21 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:38 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

With DAL having more room than anyone, and not a great C in the roster, I smell a Adams trade and sending the minimum salary match that allow OKC to seriously reduce they cap situation, maybe Courney Lee expiring with several picks
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#432 » by hawks_fan25 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 12:49 pm

Honest question. Does Damian Jones start next year? If JC has improved his outside shot enough, I could see where Jones' athleticism and rim protection would be a better fit with the starters than Len's floor spacing. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones started both halves, but Len saw more minutes. I see Bruno competing with Jones for those starting and limited minutes since they are very similar in skill set and Len coming off the bench still seeing more minutes than both.

Of course, if Len and Parker are our bigs off the bench then the lane is wide open for other teams' bench crews.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#433 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:01 pm

hawks_fan25 wrote:Honest question. Does Damian Jones start next year? If JC has improved his outside shot enough, I could see where Jones' athleticism and rim protection would be a better fit with the starters than Len's floor spacing. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones started both halves, but Len saw more minutes. I see Bruno competing with Jones for those starting and limited minutes since they are very similar in skill set and Len coming off the bench still seeing more minutes than both.

Of course, if Len and Parker are our bigs off the bench then the lane is wide open for other teams' bench crews.

I doubt it. Lloyd has spoken often about how important Dedmon was because he spaced the floor for John Collins.

It doesn't make much sense for Collins to move away from his strengths as a rim runner/offensive rebounder to space the floor for the much inferior Damion Jones.

I see Damion as a pure backup Center/depth option. He likely plays next to Jabari or D Hunter when they man the PF spot.
hawks_fan25
Sophomore

Post#434 » by hawks_fan25 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
hawks_fan25 wrote:Honest question. Does Damian Jones start next year? If JC has improved his outside shot enough, I could see where Jones' athleticism and rim protection would be a better fit with the starters than Len's floor spacing. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones started both halves, but Len saw more minutes. I see Bruno competing with Jones for those starting and limited minutes since they are very similar in skill set and Len coming off the bench still seeing more minutes than both.

I doubt it. Lloyd has spoken often about how important Dedmon was because he spaced the floor for John Collins.

It doesn't make much sense for Collins to move away from his strengths as a rim runner/offensive rebounder to space the floor for the much inferior Damion Jones.

I see Damion as a pure backup Center/depth option. He likely plays next to Jabari or D Hunter when they man the PF spot.

Makes sense. We just have to get defense from someone in our group of bigs. I'll bet there's a lot of experimenting with lineups this year to see what works and to see who returns next year.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#435 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 9, 2019 1:52 pm

Thoughts:

I don't love our moves this summer.

1) Trading for Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons, Evan Turner and Damion Jones.
2) Signing Jabari Parker.
3) Trading multiple 1st round picks for DeAndre Hunter.
4) Selling multiple 2nd round picks in 2019 only to trade for a 2nd round pick in 2019.

...that doesn't sound like a great offseason.

Jabari Parker signing, Omari Spellman trade continue perplexing offseason for Atlanta Hawks

Spoiler:
After mostly remaining silent throughout the opening salvos of free agency, the Atlanta Hawks made their first full signing on Monday, opting to sign Jabari Parker to a reported two-year pact worth $13 million. The acquisition of Evan Turner a few weeks ago made positional designations for the Hawks’ bench players nearly useless, as Turner will play backup point guard on offense but guard the other team’s best forward defensively.

The Parker signing was swiftly followed by a trade: Omari Spellman was moved to Golden State for Damian Jones and a far-off second-round pick that won’t come to the Hawks until 2026.

In concert, these moves shake up the team’s rotation but don’t necessarily clarify much. The bevy of young players the team needs to develop and the veterans looking for playing time will end up causing headaches for head coach Lloyd Pierce...Where this leaves DeAndre’ Bembry is also an open question. He’s likely not involved in the team’s best lineups with all the wings ahead of him in both the talent and developmental order

Travis Schlenk and his staff seem to have two modes – they’re either making savvy moves in picking up good players on good contracts and finding gems in the draft, or they’re making head-scratching moves from a pure value perspective. This summer, there have been a lot more scratching of heads than pumping of fists in reaction to the Hawks’ moves, a trend that continued with signing Parker to an outsized contract and dumping Spellman for less return than one might expect from a recent first-round pick.
Peachtree Hoops
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Travis's credit, the guys he has traded away have all gone to better situations with title aspirations. Omari to the Warriors. Bazemore to the Trailblazers. Taurean to the Nets.

I hope that makes it easier for young guys like TP and Omari to accept these moves.
Deester11
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#436 » by Deester11 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 2:09 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts:

4) Selling multiple 2nd round picks in 2019 only to trade for a 2nd round pick in 2019.

To Travis's credit, the guys he has traded away have all gone to better situations with title aspirations. Omari to the Warriors. Bazemore to the Trailblazers. Taurean to the Nets.

I hope that makes it easier for young guys like TP and Omari to accept these moves.

Eh. Omari should accept anything the NBA has to offer. He should realize that his future lies with him. Lay off the Haagen-Das and get yourself in shape.

That being said, the only trepidation I had was moving up to 4. I like Hunter a great deal, but I think there was other talent/assets we could have maximized with so many picks/money.

I'm still happy with what "seems" like a great core to work and grow with. The vet additions don't move the needle in a negative way too much for me so while I don't love the moves either, I do like a few components of it.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#437 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 8:44 pm

No.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#438 » by jayu70 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:03 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Thoughts:

Jabari Parker signing, Omari Spellman trade continue perplexing offseason for Atlanta Hawks

Spoiler:
After mostly remaining silent throughout the opening salvos of free agency, the Atlanta Hawks made their first full signing on Monday, opting to sign Jabari Parker to a reported two-year pact worth $13 million. The acquisition of Evan Turner a few weeks ago made positional designations for the Hawks’ bench players nearly useless, as Turner will play backup point guard on offense but guard the other team’s best forward defensively.

The Parker signing was swiftly followed by a trade: Omari Spellman was moved to Golden State for Damian Jones and a far-off second-round pick that won’t come to the Hawks until 2026.

In concert, these moves shake up the team’s rotation but don’t necessarily clarify much. The bevy of young players the team needs to develop and the veterans looking for playing time will end up causing headaches for head coach Lloyd Pierce...Where this leaves DeAndre’ Bembry is also an open question. He’s likely not involved in the team’s best lineups with all the wings ahead of him in both the talent and developmental order

Travis Schlenk and his staff seem to have two modes – they’re either making savvy moves in picking up good players on good contracts and finding gems in the draft, or they’re making head-scratching moves from a pure value perspective. This summer, there have been a lot more scratching of heads than pumping of fists in reaction to the Hawks’ moves, a trend that continued with signing Parker to an outsized contract and dumping Spellman for less return than one might expect from a recent first-round pick.
Peachtree Hoops
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't think we traded for Crabbe the player as much as it was getting a pick for a salary dump and about trading Prince for an asset since it seems TS wasn't going to pay him.
I'm ok with the draft, got DPS players that are also defenders on the wings and center. Was the move to #4 worth it? Only time will tell.

Didn't like the Turner, Parsons or Parker moves.
The Spellman move was a by product of his own doing. Reminds me of Bud moving on from Adrein Payne rather quickly when he determined he didn't want to invest time and resources in someone who wasn't interested in investing in himself.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#439 » by tbhawksfan1 » Tue Jul 9, 2019 9:15 pm

Drafting well is essential for the Hawks. it's ONLY by drafting very well that the Hawks will acquire the talent needed to make the Hawks a destination. If TS keeps drafting as he has, we might not need any big FA.

As long as he keeps drafting so well and sticks to his LONG-TERM plan, I'm good.

Parker is going to get minutes, score and become a great trade piece on that deal. If not, 6.5 for two is nothing. Nice move. TS always brings in some vets and gives them mins. His Hawks also give rooks their mins. Everything is good. i'm just waiting to see if his latest draft mesures up to his others. If it does, boom
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#440 » by D21 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Yes, it's not 100% clear, but it leaves flexibility, so it's not a problem.
Regarding Parker and Spellman, let see that Parker had a positive impact with WAS, both on the team performing well with him on the floor more than without him, and that he's free just because WAS didn't want to keep him at 20M. We got him for 6.5M

For Spellman, he's younger, but ATL has a difference of -8pts between him on the floor and off the floor. He was not an impact player, even if it was too much soon to be sure. Added with being out of shape, it's a easy move.
Jones is way more athletic, so it fits with the rest of the roster, more than Spellman, except that he doesn't spread the floor, but it's a thing of mismatch, basketball is all about this, and if we find that we need a athletic C on defense, better try it now and be sure, than building the roster, and having next year this question unsolved and take the risk to pay more on a guy like that without being sure it's needed. At least, we test now and will know sooner

All the guy we will test now, Parker, Turner, Jones... are all expiring or on small contracts. They are not the best on their spots, but they can bring answer to what we need around the core, for a low risk

Return to Atlanta Hawks